PDA

View Full Version : Should the NHS Pay for Drugs Like Avastin?

KeithD
24th August 2010, 13:43
I say a definite NO .... these drugs cost over £1,700 a month, and only extend life a few weeks, they are NOT a cure. This one extends life by 6 weeks so is it really worth it?

Doc Alan
25th August 2010, 00:21
The health watchdog NICE (National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence) may appear to be NASTY to the estimated 6,500 patients in the UK with advanced bowel cancer who could benefit from "Avastin". It's not a specific drug, but simply reduces blood flow to a cancer. NICE has the unenviable task of deciding what treatments can be justified and afforded in an NHS under enormous pressure to contain costs. The outrageous cost of such drugs is another matter, which the companies producing them attempt to justify by claiming the cost of research to produce better drugs, and marketing. The coalition Government is setting up a £50 million cancer drug fund to give greater access to treatment.
One in three people get cancer and it rightly gets a lot of attention. But there are many other health problems which don't attract the same attention , money ,or research. NICE has to make decisions which affect many illnesses in addition to cancer.
Ultimately our NHS is largely funded by the taxpayers. Other ways of funding it are possible, including a "hypothecated" tax solely for health. As a final point, our filipino / filipina friends must look at the costs of treatment, roughly 1.4 million pesos for each of 6,500 patients per year with shock, horror, and envy. What could that sort of money do to treat heart disease, diabetes and infections in the Philippines?

burdock
25th August 2010, 01:57
it is a hard one to say, I'm sure people with family and love ones who need it would say yes.

myself I'd pay double or more than that to have my mum back if only for six weeks, would love her to know that I've found someone that I love and makes me happy

Doc Alan
25th August 2010, 07:48
myself I'd pay double or more than that to have my mum back if only for six weeks...
I completely understand because every one of us has loved ones who fall ill and die, whether in the UK or Philippines. It's even worse if there is a cure or proven treatment available, such as for malaria which kills a million people in the world every year, many of them children, just because we can't afford it. For doctors, nursing and others in caring professions it's a daily challenge to provide the best treatment for every patient. But sadly resources will always be limited. Few people have limitless money to pay for treatment. Our National Health Service is not perfect, and the decisions NICE reaches on how best to spend taxpayers' money are not always popular. But many of our filipino / filipina friends envy our health service.

joebloggs
25th August 2010, 08:22
it is a hard one to say, I'm sure people with family and love ones who need it would say yes.

myself I'd pay double or more than that to have my mum back if only for six weeks, would love her to know that I've found someone that I love and makes me happy

yes i think if you or a member of your family needed it you would pay it if you could, maybe it's the only hope you have left :NoNo:

£20k a year thou :omg: , but as my misses would say, its only money :doh, thou keeping someone in a care home cost more than 20k a year and many people have to sell their homes to pay for that, maybe its time we do what they do in India, copy patented drugs :rolleyes:

shrek48
25th August 2010, 17:49
i think on a personal note for me i would not want an extension of 6 weeks because often they are not 6 weeks of happy well being but of pain. watched my friend take his last breath (promised him i would stay to the very end) and he would of gladly taken something to end his misery :bigcry: but it is a very individual thing so each to his/her own and good luck.
ash.x