PDA

View Full Version : phoning the Philippines from the U.K.

growler
17th March 2005, 16:42
I,ve seen a couple of web sites called RingSid that advertises low cost phone calls to Phils and another called Phone the Philippines has anyone had any experience of using these services, are they genuine and are they reliable?

regards

Growler

ginapeterb
17th March 2005, 19:39
Originally posted by growler@Mar 17 2005, 03:42 PM
I,ve seen a couple of web sites called RingSid that advertises low cost phone calls to Phils and another called Phone the Philippines has anyone had any experience of using these services, are they genuine and are they reliable?

regards

Growler

Quoted post

They are probably ok, but if you want to use a reliable card, go to any corner shop, that sells long distance calling cards, such as the Alpha Tele2 card, for a tenner you can call the Fils for about 63 minutes on mobile..68 on landline, also if you want a great service for texting a Philippine Mobile..use

http://www.chikka.com you will get a PC to Mobile on either Smart or Globe, Smart you get 20 messages per day, and Globe 30 messages per day, if your partner texts you back at 2.5p per text, you will get a free one every time your partner does this, basically recharging your account.

At the end of a 24 hour period, your account resets to 20 messages if its smart, or 30 if its Globe.

Hope this helps

growler
17th March 2005, 21:15
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Mar 17 2005, 07:39 PM
They are probably ok, but if you want to use a reliable card, go to any corner shop, that sells long distance calling cards, such as the Alpha Tele2 card, for a tenner you can call the Fils for about 63 minutes on mobile..68 on landline, also if you want a great service for texting a Philippine Mobile..use

http://www.chikka.com you will get a PC to Mobile on either Smart or Globe, Smart you get 20 messages per day, and Globe 30 messages per day, if your partner texts you back at 2.5p per text, you will get a free one every time your partner does this, basically recharging your account.

At the end of a 24 hour period, your account resets to 20 messages if its smart, or 30 if its Globe.

Hope this helps

Quoted post

That's a big help, thanks Pete

walesrob
18th March 2005, 09:20
Originally posted by ginapeterb@Mar 17 2005, 06:39 PM

Quoted post

Check out the South East Asia calling card - I used to get 30 mins from a £5 card calling Elsas mobile in Philippines.

Admin
18th March 2005, 09:48
I've used them all at one point and found the Royal Mail £20 is the best, you can buy it from here for £16, they are reliable.

http://linkstochina.com/RingChina/index_e.shtml

Oishii
23rd March 2005, 17:11
Hi All,

I've just started to use JustDial to call the Phil's. You don't need any cards as the call is charged at the standard national rate of your provider. The charge is the same for calling a land line or mobile.

The number to dail for the Philippines is: 08715706084. When the recorded message kicks in dail the number you are calling in the Phil's.

Take care,

Paul.

I have trouble with my spelling sometimes too. :blink:

andypaul
28th May 2005, 11:23
I use Alpha Telecom

Sometimes the line is good but occasionally not so good.

One good thing i have found is that they have both a freephone number and a london number 0207. Which you dial to get connected.

This is useful as at home can use either freephone or 0207 number as have paid a few quid more so get free local national calls on bt.

I can also use the free mintues on my mobile on the 0207 number.

Using there Website you can set it up so you don't have to dial your Ladies Mobile or house number.

you can store various numbers and just press the speed dial number.

Maybe not the cheapest System but using the Website you can print out a history of all your calls for up to 60 days.

I can also top up online and i think in theory if you run out of credit during a call you can be put though to an operator to top up. That or have an automatic top up when you credit drops to a certain point.

JustSomeGuy
3rd September 2005, 22:24
I know this is a old thread but i'm new and have just gained an interest in this site ;-) and it's good to be able to give something back.

if you use a BT landline, and you want a itemised bill... maybe to show that helpful guy that you have spent your life savings phoning your sweetheart.
then
www.18866.co.uk 10p land line 15p moblie
or
www.1899.com 8p landline 15p moblie

to use you just register with the site, dial the predial number and tap in the full international number (it tells you the rate you will pay as you are being connected) + 1p/3p connection of course :-)
(they both have 020 (london) access numbers if you wish to use your mobile aswell)

I use both the above and have found them to be mainly good,, (sometimes the sound isn't great then i just use the other one) and you get an emailed bill each month to show mr nosy.

Whilst checking my info i found there are a few new boys on the block:

www.18185.co.uk at 5p landline and 12p mobile but i haven't used them yet so can't comment on them....

The out and out cheapest TO a mobile i think is currently: www.bestminutes.co.uk at 8p per minute to a mobile the access number is 0871 551 98 98 again i haven't used them yet so can't comment on them....

oh one idea is, if your lady lives somewhere mobiles don't always work just send a sms and turn on delivery reports.. when you get the report it means you can phone her!

Hope this all is of some help,

Dave,

Admin
4th September 2005, 08:37
I've been using Skype to call Singapore, at around 2p, but The Philippines even on that is around 20p I think......Their phone system is one of the most expensive in the World, rip-off buggers.....not a surprise really though is it? :unsure:

JustSomeGuy
11th September 2005, 17:01
Skype is great isn't it? as long as your friends all have broadband anyway :-) Dabs do a fun little cordless phone that plugs into a computer and the phone line and allows you to call/answer via either skype or normal landline. (and you can plug a mobile style handsfree kit in)

Skypeout is a prepay system around 13p to Philippine land lines and 16p to Philippine mobiles, but you need a computer with a good connection and a headset/phone like the dabs one.

But there appears to be another new kid on the block, and they appear dirt cheap
http://www.topupnow.co.uk

5p connection, 1p a minute to a Philippine landline, but oddly you have to pay via a premim rate £1.50 a minute number... looks a little odd to me, and they are expensive to call mobile numbers at 25p a minute, but 1p a minute might be worth risking £1:50 for ...

Dave,

Eljohno
12th September 2005, 00:06
Hi i have been using the Skype for a while and it certainly is a great invention but the only problem i have at the moment is when i ring my wife to be in the Philippines she finds it very difficult to hear me.Would you have any similiar problem?

Admin
12th September 2005, 09:36
I've just finished pricing everything up, and the cheapest is the Royal Mail card at 9p (+ local call cost, £20 card only, but £16 from http://linkstochina.com/RingChina/index_e.shtml, so it's chepaer than 9p) to the Philippines. Skype is 12.6p, mobile 15.8p

Skype is cheapest for all other countries though.

Get hold of the Phone Wizard from Dabs.com , you can then use your normal phone on Skype.

fletch
16th October 2005, 00:12
Originally posted by admin@Sep 12 2005, 09:36 AM
I've just finished pricing everything up, and the cheapest is the Royal Mail card at 9p (+ local call cost, £20 card only, but £16 from http://linkstochina.com/RingChina/index_e.shtml, so it's chepaer than 9p) to the Philippines. Skype is 12.6p, mobile 15.8p

Skype is cheapest for all other countries though.

Get hold of the Phone Wizard from Dabs.com , you can then use your normal phone on Skype.

Quoted post

Skype is great and free to my fiancee in Phils, she has computer with broadband and we have no sound problems.

I can phone her landline direct for 10p/min weekdays, 5p/min weekends on 0871 570 3250, just input her number when recording starts. 10p/min all times to a mobile - genuine prices, I checked my phone bill

JustSomeGuy
16th October 2005, 09:56
To compare prices you can use:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/callchecker

It doesn't compare the cards but does all the prepay and access numbers i can think of.

The rates can be very different for landlines and moblies, and not always in the way you may think.

It's worth checking every now and again, i note that this week
DialAround 7p/min (08717725252) is the cheapest to moblies.

Don't forget when pricing calling cards to factor in the cost of the local call, or use the 0800 pricings, unless of course your planning on using someone elses phone ;-)

Dave,

jooms
16th October 2005, 11:37
iphone cards from newsagents £5 for 84 mins landline.

ivor&mel
21st February 2006, 10:18
I've made lots of calls to overseas countries in general via Telediscount (http://www.telediscount.co.uk/accessnumbers.php). For Phil, the current rates are 8p landline, 9p mobile. Their rates and access numbers do keep changing though, so need to check the site each time before you call.

Eljohno
21st February 2006, 22:02
Originally posted by Oishii@Mar 23 2005, 04:11 PM
Hi All,

I've just started to use JustDial to call the Phil's. You don't need any cards as the call is charged at the standard national rate of your provider. The charge is the same for calling a land line or mobile.

The number to dail for the Philippines is: 08715706084. When the recorded message kicks in dail the number you are calling in the Phil's.

Take care,

Paul.
I have trouble with my spelling sometimes too. :blink:

Quoted post

I actually just started using this number yesterday as a friend of mine gave it to me and it is better than your phone card running out in the middle of a conversation and cheaper than the phone card i used also.....

John

Eljohno
29th March 2006, 21:07
I have been using a telephone number when i ring Rhea's mobile phone and so far the cheapest i could get was 9p per min but now i have just come across another number were the charge is only 7p per min which i think is hard to beat, the number is;

john

Breo
15th April 2006, 23:03
Hi Guys

I call my wife in the philippines all the time using this access number 0871 3433 3433 This will only work from the UK

for more info and other countries visit there site style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif

http://www.telediscount.co.uk/index2.php

JustSomeGuy
15th April 2006, 23:20
Just thought i would repost this link:

Using http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/intcallchecker/index.php

Prices to MOBILES:

TopUpDiscount 5p/min

DiscountDial 7p/min
(08717729595)

Bestminutes 8p/min
(08715519797)

DialAround 8p/min
(08715513737)

Phonebird 8p/min
(08718582473)

Abroadtel 9p/min
(08713420009)

Telediscount 9p/min
(08713437979)

------------------------------
To a LANDLINE:

18185 5p/min *

TopUpDiscount 5p/min

Bestminutes 7p/min
(08717723131)

Abroadtel 8p/min
(08718580008)

Alpha Telecom 8p/min

Phonebird 8p/min
(08718582473)

Telediscount 8p/min
(08715515959

Worth a look once in a while for latest rates.
I use 18185, DiscountDial and Bestminutes as sometimes sound quality isn&#39;t great on any carrier all of the time.

Dave,