PDA

View Full Version : How to secure a job interview

cryBaby
16th July 2010, 15:59
Hey everyone!

I'm currently job hunting, been doing it for 3 weeks now. There are lots of vacancies for IT jobs, but some are very specific.
I have managed to get some recruiters interested in my CV but no success in getting job interviews yet. :NoNo:

Is it okay to ring up the recruiters and see how they are doing, or am I suppose to just wait for results.? I don't mean to sound impatient but sometimes I want to give them a little nudge.
Advice is most welcome.

Thank guys.

James Hubbard
16th July 2010, 16:19
It depends really

If you call them and ask how it's going ... it could go a few different ways:

--some employers will admire your moxy and for them you will stand out more - so that's a good thing

--others will view it as you being impatient and may not value your initiative.

If it's a very traditional employer, i think that the latter will apply, and if it's a more progressive company, then i think the former will apply!

No cut-and-dried answers, but i hope it goes some length towards answering your question :)

Arthur Little
16th July 2010, 17:47
Hey everyone!

I'm currently job hunting, been doing it for 3 weeks now. There are lots of vacancies for IT jobs, but some are very specific.
I have managed to get some recruiters interested in my CV but no success in getting job interviews yet. :NoNo:

Is it okay to ring up the recruiters and see how they are doing, or am I suppose to just wait for results.? I don't mean to sound impatient but sometimes I want to give them a little nudge.
Advice is most welcome.

Thank guys.

It's a while since I'VE been in the Jobs Market; however, I can relate to what you've said in your last paragraph about "giving the agencies a little nudge" :poke: - or at least a gentle reminder. Based on my own experience, there's no doubt that employers sometimes have a habit of dragging out the recruitment process unnecessarily ... perhaps even more so nowadays, with all the new fangled legislation being thrust upon them.

So, no ... I don't think it's likely to do your prospects any harm to drop a few hints from time to time; :NoNo: indeed, it shows INITIATIVE on YOUR part. Good luck in your efforts. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
16th July 2010, 18:07
I would ring them up worth letting them know your still interested, that you sent in an application. In big companies the Cv/application form you sent in may well be sent to another part of the country miles from those actually making the decision.

Its not been unknown for paperwork to go missing and also with the hectic pace of life in a modern IT company often mangers lose track of what happened to the process of hiring people for a certain position.

Trust me even in very large companies the way some people end up with their job is from the most oddest situations.

Who knows they may have another role which they have not even posted yet.

As you say your a person who likes to get on with things if the company dont like that then they will surely find that out during the interview anyway.

If its an agency as long as you dont bug them they will be used to people ringing up now and then to find out the latest and could work in your favour.

Ps where are you living (city/region) in the UK you never know someone on here maybe able to help with potential employers and positions..

sars_notd_virus
16th July 2010, 20:31
Patience is a virtue....if they really need you they will call you straight away just be prepared :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
16th July 2010, 21:05
Patience is a virtue....if they really need you they will call you straight away just be prepared :xxgrinning--00xx3:

and the early bird, get the worm, job i mean :xxgrinning--00xx3:
:doh

:icon_lol:

-sillybilly-
17th July 2010, 03:50
Hi Crybaby!

Based on my experienced.. i think you will have to wait 2 weeks and they will send you a letter if you were succesful and will give you the interview date...some company will ring you up. But if you dont hear from them in that certain period that means you were not successful.
Apply every job opportunities as much as you can and im sure you will hear from one them or few of them.
Goodluck!:)

somebody
17th July 2010, 18:39
Hi Crybaby!

Based on my experienced.. i think you will have to wait 2 weeks and they will send you a letter if you were succesful and will give you the interview date...some company will ring you up. But if you dont hear from them in that certain period that means you were not successful.
Apply every job opportunities as much as you can and im sure you will hear from one them or few of them.
Goodluck!:)

Very true but I have to say some companies do seem to drag there feet employing people taking weeks to get round to inviting people to interview I have noticed (more from the employers relating their experiences to me)

Many are embarrassed it takes so long I know at the company i work at and in other divisions where colleagues work with different HR departments its one of our biggest complaints.

Dont give up and keep putting out the CV's even once you get invites to interviews.

At my corporation the various companies all seem to have lots of IT related jobs at present the market is picking up for skilled key positions in IT as the whole infrastructure cant work without..

One thing do be careful about serial applying for all positions at one company as it doesn't go down well.. Many people employing at present want someone who will stay in the position for a few years as once a person leaves its not always sure if and when that particular position will be filled..
Well at least thats what Im seeing with some good candidates being turned down as people see them as likely to have itchy feet...

IF the company like your CV often they may well invite you to apply for a slightly different vaccancy to the one you did apply or at least ask why you didn't apply for that one.

cryBaby
19th July 2010, 12:29
hello everyone ^_^
Thanks for all your replies. Really helpful.
Guess I'll give them a ring then.
Just had a phone call and the recruiter sounded enthusiastic and was prompt with email replies.
But now the problem is me not having a driver's license :NoNo:
Too bad for me, it looked promising.
I currently live in Cheshire, but at the moment I am happy to relocate for work.
I used to drive in the Philippines, no UK driver's license yet. :-(

James Hubbard
19th July 2010, 16:46
hello everyone ^_^
Thanks for all your replies. Really helpful.
Guess I'll give them a ring then.
Just had a phone call and the recruiter sounded enthusiastic and was prompt with email replies.
But now the problem is me not having a driver's license :NoNo:
Too bad for me, it looked promising.
I currently live in Cheshire, but at the moment I am happy to relocate for work.
I used to drive in the Philippines, no UK driver's license yet. :-(

If you have a Philippines D/L I understand that it's good for a full year :)

cryBaby
21st July 2010, 15:41
Thank you for the reply.
I researched about the Philippines Driver's License, site says I need international driver's license, and can use it for a year in UK. I have to take lessons anyway, since I have no driving experience in UK.
So I have started cold calling, and it is difficult and nerve wracking.
I am applying for junior or graduate positions as a way in.
But I didn't know that the university and country I graduated from meant a lot.
Most of the companies want a 2.1 or first class graduates, I didn't even know what that meant since we have a different grading system in the Philippines.
Seems like all my programming experience in the Philippines and Japan doesn't matter at all :NoNo:

James Hubbard
21st July 2010, 15:44
There is a company that will - for a fee - assess the equivalency of your GPA vs our "hons (eg. 1st, 2.1, 2.2 etc) ... can't remember the name., but the post graduate advisor of any university will be able to put you in contact with them :)

burdock
21st July 2010, 23:20
hi crybaby

I'd research the company, find out about then and add some these fact in you covering letter, I would see this as you showed some interest in the company may just give lead over someone else that sent in a standard covering letter.

plus would try to make my cv stand out from the norm rather than the just typed out look, maybe try to give it a IT theme

somebody
8th August 2010, 17:38
Thank you for the reply.
I researched about the Philippines Driver's License, site says I need international driver's license, and can use it for a year in UK. I have to take lessons anyway, since I have no driving experience in UK.
So I have started cold calling, and it is difficult and nerve wracking.
I am applying for junior or graduate positions as a way in.
But I didn't know that the university and country I graduated from meant a lot.
Most of the companies want a 2.1 or first class graduates, I didn't even know what that meant since we have a different grading system in the Philippines.
Seems like all my programming experience in the Philippines and Japan doesn't matter at all :NoNo:

Dont give up it takes time but due to all the spare time on your hands seems like ages. When on paper its ot that long to be looking.

Dont forget to research if thecompany you are applying to has a Japanese divison or does business there. Most likely the person reading your CV will have no idea but you may be able to add into cover letter something which drops a hint how your experience will be useful.

As burdock mentions reserach on each company you apply to is vital.

Also think creatively when reading Job adverts can your skills be of use (you dont need all the skills and experiences they mention trust me) often people we employ have less than 50 percent of the skills requested on the job requirments. The rest they will learn or pick up. Even say ananylast or adminstrator in a programing enviroment may mean you get your foot in the door and can potentially move over. With your understanding of programing and programers will be a big avantage. You may find a new career path who knows

As James mention get your qualifications assessed or see if you can find a link to an offcial website which shows how the degree you posses equates to a UK one. You can state what it equates to and then the company at least have an idea and can check out themsleves..