PDA

View Full Version : What's the best about the Philippines?

Admin
10th March 2005, 09:52
Concidering I hated Davao, their are still some good points, mainly the WOMEN :D Including the internet sites were I can study the anatomy more closely :o

One bonus is the strong pound, and the house prices, still seriously considering the beach front in Cebu as a 3rd home.

matmeeking
10th March 2005, 11:41
Best thing about the Philippines?
My partner Rebecca and the girls, Marianne and Meychelle for making our home a happy one ( and for putting up with Metallica at full blast when I've had one too many ), Ice cold San Mig while BBQing on the beach or anytime, Lechon at a celebration, Kare Kare, buco salad anytime, lechon kawali, a good Adobo, The Sex Bomb singers, Greenbelt and Rockwell for wining and dining, Tanduay Superior at about 1.20 UK pounds per bottle, Port Barton Palawan for the quiet life, Dunkin Donuts ( just opened in Puerto Princesa open 24 hrs ), green mango and bagoong, The Intercontinental Makati for outstanding, friendly service, the best beaches in the world, the best diving, chicheron bulaklak, long black hair... I could go on.

I just paid for a lot on the outskirts of Puerto Princesa. 610 sq.mtr for 600,000 pesos. Right now we are renting a place in town. 4 bedrooms, 2 CR for 12,000 per month.

It's a great time for Brits to head to the Philippines. Great exchange rate. Great fun!

Panay
12th September 2006, 22:44
Much of it exists in a time warp. Not only do you get to do a culture jump and escape the here and now of your own 21st century national culture, but when you walk through a few aeroplane doors, you end up in a place where you can choose the levels of technology and lifestyle complexity if you live there for a longer while.
I live there with my living partner, doing two stints of three months @ yearly, with breaks of 2 to 4 months in between. She is comfortable with that and so am I because we phone and e-mail frequently, and both stay busy improving our integrated lifestyle. Our lives stay interesting and absence does make the heart grow fonder. If I brought her over..... it'd destroy alot of things that make the relationship and our lives as good as they are. The cost is some away-time.
Due to the fact that the COL is so low there, I can take on the obligation of providing for rent & utilities for 12 months of the year. She stays busy with her vending job, raising pigs, overseeing a jeepney franchise and improving the land and house. We're not interested in living in a mansion, like many expats I know here. I rent in a gated community for convenience and location, but we build our own places where her uncles live. That rent money helps support her in my absence and allows her to function as financially independent and vaults her into the upper-middle class social strata. Something she'd likely not accomplish in my country, seeing she's already in her middle 30's with 2 children.
The Islands and its' laggging economy are a strange place, but it does allow an average, hard-thinking man to find a new variety of lifestyle opportunities. It's a 'frontier' in that sense.

Eljohno
12th September 2006, 23:07
Much of it exists in a time warp. Not only do you get to do a culture jump and escape the here and now of your own 21st century national culture, but when you walk through a few aeroplane doors, you end up in a place where you can choose the levels of technology and lifestyle complexity if you live there for a longer while.
I live there with my living partner, doing two stints of three months @ yearly, with breaks of 2 to 4 months in between. She is comfortable with that and so am I because we phone and e-mail frequently, and both stay busy improving our integrated lifestyle. Our lives stay interesting and absence does make the heart grow fonder. If I brought her over..... it'd destroy alot of things that make the relationship and our lives as good as they are. The cost is some away-time.
Due to the fact that the COL is so low there, I can take on the obligation of providing for rent & utilities for 12 months of the year. She stays busy with her vending job, raising pigs, overseeing a jeepney franchise and improving the land and house. We're not interested in living in a mansion, like many expats I know here. I rent in a gated community for convenience and location, but we build our own places where her uncles live. That rent money helps support her in my absence and allows her to function as financially independent and vaults her into the upper-middle class social strata. Something she'd likely not accomplish in my country, seeing she's already in her middle 30's with 2 children.
The Islands and its' laggging economy are a strange place, but it does allow an average, hard-thinking man to find a new variety of lifestyle opportunities. It's a 'frontier' in that sense.

I would find it too difficult being away from my wife for that long but because we will be getting support we hope to move there in the next year or shortly after.

For me i enjoy the heat and constant sunshine, also the friendly people and happy children. I like the pace of life and being away from the rat race here in the Uk were the goal of many is just to make loads of mney.I love the beautiful beaches of Bohol & Boracay. Of course the price of everything is so good.