PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else glad the tennis is over ?

Dedworth
5th July 2010, 10:26
:angry: no football on the box only the ghastly tennis wasting airtime.

I'm amazed at the millions of licence payers money the BBC lavishes on this minority sport once a year. The newspapers also manage to waste a few pages on it.

KeithD
5th July 2010, 10:40
:Erm: It's not a minority sport, more people are involved with tennis than Cricket, Athletics, Snooker, Motor racing, Rugby League, Boxing, Golf, Swimming ...... only things that really beat it is fishing & football.

DaveUK
5th July 2010, 10:49
Thanks to the World Cup, I hadn't really noticed Wimbledon this year! Usually I keep up with it, but get annoyed with the constant stops thanks to the rain! Which is ironic given there's been no rain this year and I've missed it! :)

Dedworth
5th July 2010, 10:56
Yesterday there was a local under 11's 6 a side football tournament with about 300 kids taking part. I didn't see any queues outside the 6 or so tennis courts.........

Pete/London
5th July 2010, 11:32
With you Dedworth, only time I watch is for the girls and their a pretty rough bunch this year.

I think it was "Mock of the Week" where they took the :censored:out of their groaning when hitting the ball, can you imagine snooker players and golfers doing the same. :D

bornatbirth
5th July 2010, 11:46
not a drop of rain this year and because of the world cup i forgot it was on and watching young woman grunting is quite nice in HD :D

mikey73
5th July 2010, 11:49
not a sport i really watch or have an intrest in. but the BBC have to show it as its one of the tournements/events that the government insists that is shown on free to view TV.

Dedworth
5th July 2010, 11:54
not a sport i really watch or have an intrest in. but the BBC have to show it as its one of the tournements/events that the government insists that is shown on free to view TV.

In view of the need to cut out overspend and extravagance at the BBC the Govt should review and axe future coverage. I doubt if Sky feel there is much paid for demand.

mikey73
5th July 2010, 12:00
In view of the need to cut out overspend and extravagance at the BBC the Govt should review and axe future coverage. I doubt if Sky feel there is much paid for demand.

yeah the BBC do go to the extreme in showing tennis all day on mutiliply channels for 2 weeks, they could easy cut back on the coverage, it used to be the same with cricket when i was little, it used to be on all day everyday during a test match and the government allowed that to be shown on other channels now so maybe they will do it with the tennis soon as well.

KeithD
5th July 2010, 12:15
Yesterday there was a local under 11's 6 a side football tournament with about 300 kids taking part. I didn't see any queues outside the 6 or so tennis courts.........

:Erm: Hence the reason I said footy & fishing is higher than Tennis :doh

The BBC don't actually have a choice on whether to show it or not as it is written into law that it has to be on terrestial TV. Also viewing figures go over 10 million for certain matches and that these days is top of the range.

Dedworth
5th July 2010, 12:19
:Erm: It's not a minority sport, more people are involved with tennis than Cricket, Athletics, Snooker, Motor racing, Rugby League, Boxing, Golf, Swimming ...... only things that really beat it is fishing & football.

I've heard these statements before and to me they just don't wash - I reckon if properly researched they'd find that both codes of Rugby and Golf are hugely more popular than tennis

KeithD
5th July 2010, 12:30
:Erm: Did you not read anything I wrote ... Rugby Union is more popular than Tennis, but Tennis is more popular than Rugby League ... remember, my day job is betting on sports so I know all the stats .... and even a blind man could trade a profit on tennis :xxgrinning--00xx3: ... Golf is lower down than Tennis, and golf also gets far less TV figures.

bornatbirth
5th July 2010, 12:36
whats the viewing figures for ping pong :Erm:

Steve.r
5th July 2010, 13:04
whats the viewing figures for ping pong :Erm:

Thai style ? like in the videos :omg:

Luckily, I was able to avoid the tennis this year. Spent too much time on here :icon_lol: Some of the rallys on this forum are better than the ones with balls going back and forth over a net.

KeithD
5th July 2010, 13:59
Surprised ladies beach volleyball isn't a top sport ... no idea why we'd watch it though :rolleyes:

stevewool
5th July 2010, 18:44
now you talking bossman ladies beach volleyball, i would watch that all hours and i hate tennis too all those grunts and growns and playing with balls, a up just like watching volleyball :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Arthur Little
5th July 2010, 19:02
Frankly ... yes; now, hopefully, programmes can get back to some semblance of normality! :doh

les_taxi
5th July 2010, 19:31
:angry: no football on the box only the ghastly tennis wasting airtime.

I'm amazed at the millions of licence payers money the BBC lavishes on this minority sport once a year. The newspapers also manage to waste a few pages on it.

Yep me:) more important stuff like w/c semi-finals and final to watch now as well.
I enjoyed seeing that bloody miserable english hater go out to nadal:icon_lol:

stevie c
5th July 2010, 19:38
well said lestaxi why should we support a scotsman who is an english hater i got no interest in him whatsoever when his matches are on tv i switch channels:cwm23:

Sim11UK
5th July 2010, 20:13
Whatever happened to topless darts? :Erm:

stevewool
5th July 2010, 20:21
never seen that:yikes: jocky wilson topless

Sim11UK
5th July 2010, 21:01
never seen that:yikes: jocky wilson topless

You wouldn't want to, probably? :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
5th July 2010, 22:14
You wouldn't want to, probably? :icon_lol:

Might be an IMPROVEMENT ... if he'd his teeth in!!!:D

bornatbirth
5th July 2010, 22:49
hes a recluse these days?

Dedworth
5th July 2010, 23:59
hes a recluse these days?

Correct along with Kirkaldy's other missing man Gordon "Bottler" Brown MP one time Prime Minister and Leader of the Labour Party :D He's also not been seen for a couple of months

bornatbirth
6th July 2010, 13:21
blair got out just in time and :censored: up gordon brown, besides hes going to make millions :D

Alan
6th July 2010, 22:02
No more 'personalities' in tennis for me - Connors, McEnroe, Nastase, Chrissie Evert etc.......... My personal view you understand - I can't watch 'superyouth' 'grunting' 'serveasfastasyoucan' boring stuff anymore.

Also, it is in danger of becoming an 'upper class twits' sport.

You'll have to excuse me now as my bacon butty is ready and I'm on the ockey!!

Al.:)

Dedworth
7th July 2010, 00:51
No more 'personalities' in tennis for me - Connors, McEnroe, Nastase, Chrissie Evert etc.......... My personal view you understand - I can't watch 'superyouth' 'grunting' 'serveasfastasyoucan' boring stuff anymore.

I view this lot as spoilt brat, stamp your feet cry baby types, now reincarnated in a different sport in the 21st Century - look no further than Cristiano Ronaldo

aromulus
7th July 2010, 06:28
I view this lot as spoilt brat, stamp your feet cry baby types, now reincarnated in a different sport in the 21st Century - look no further than Cristiano Ronaldo

You can't be f:censored:g seriousssss...!?!?!?!????:Erm::Erm::Erm::Erm::Erm::cwm23: