PDA

View Full Version : How do I back up my Skype chats?

Englishman2010
12th June 2010, 21:51
I've just changed computers, and realised that all of my old Skype chats are saved to my old PC. How do I back them up and install them on the new PC?

I've managed to save all of my Yahoo chats as word pad files and transfer them, is there a better way of saving these too?

belfast_dude
12th June 2010, 22:14
maybe transfer them to ur old comp memory ..put them onto a memory card/stick..and upload them to ur new comp.....maybe..

stevewool
13th June 2010, 12:25
if you are using the sme name on skype arnt all your chat in conversation then view old messages form the biggining ????

sars_notd_virus
13th June 2010, 12:55
1) backup all the files in "C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user>\Application Data\Skype".

2) remove the old Skype installation and all its files.

3) install Skype 4.0 and login with your account (Skype will create some settings files when you login).

4) quit Skype.

5) remove all the files in the
"C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user>\Application Data\Skype\<Skype user>"
directory.

6) copy "user*.dbb, chat*.dbb, chatmsg*.dbb" from the backup to
(user*.dbb for contact list, chat*.dbb & chatmsg*.dbb for Chat History)

7) start Skype and login again, Skype will adapt the old data while creating other settings files.

Englishman2010
13th June 2010, 21:37
1) backup all the files in "C:\Documents and Settings\<Windows user>\Application Data\Skype".

2) remove the old Skype installation and all its files.

3) install Skype 4.0 and login with your account (Skype will create some settings files when you login).

4) quit Skype.

5) remove all the files in the
directory.

6) copy "user*.dbb, chat*.dbb, chatmsg*.dbb" from the backup to
(user*.dbb for contact list, chat*.dbb & chatmsg*.dbb for Chat History)

7) start Skype and login again, Skype will adapt the old data while creating other settings files.

Many thanks, I will try that in the next day or so and report back

Englishman2010
14th June 2010, 22:21
As I had already installed Skype on my new PC and had several chats that were saved on my hard drive, I didn't really want to risk losing them by re-installing it.

I'm only saving the chats for if they are ever required for a future spousal visa app, so I decided to load all of my chats from the beginning and copy and paste into a word doc as I did with my yahoo chats.

I now have 219 A4 pages of Skype messages and 300 odd pages of yahoo messages. Thats only from the middle of Oct 2009 to now and doesn't include the numerous chats on yahoo when I've used my phone and can't save or back them up.

sars_notd_virus
16th June 2010, 12:46
copy and paste into a word doc as I did with my yahoo chats.

think u answered ur own question:xxgrinning--00xx3: