PDA

View Full Version : wndows now wants a password

burdock
6th June 2010, 08:04
Jonalyn had one of her friends install some anti virus software and when she rebooted pc windows asking for a password.

she did not use one b4.

I've said just press enter leaving password box empty
but not work.

She says it just ask for a password and not a login name, which i think strange

any ideas to solve this

johncar54
6th June 2010, 08:18
What was the prog she installed ? Maybe that will give us a clue !

KeithD
6th June 2010, 08:59
What OS? If it's XP, just use the Admin account to get back in.

burdock
6th June 2010, 09:24
I'll ask her what they installed.

I said she should just login as admin but she saying that it only asking for password, no login name/account

it is very hard to do support over phone, especially when Jonalyn holds 2 or 3 conversations at once(women's multitasking. ggrrrr)

KeithD
6th June 2010, 10:05
The built-in Administrator account is hidden from Welcome Screen when a user account with Administrator privileges exists and enabled. In Windows XP Home Edition, you can login as built-in Administrator in Safe Mode only. For XP Professional, press CTRL + ALT + DEL twice at the Welcome Screen and input your Administrator password in the classic logon window that appears.

sars_notd_virus
6th June 2010, 10:36
yep the boss is:xxgrinning--00xx3:
try rebooting into Safe Mode, select the "Administrator" username and use a blank password to login. If she never created a password for the "Administrator" username, it should allow her to login.

or try this steps to enable automatic logon:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type: control userpasswords2 , and then click OK.
3. In the dialog box that appears, clear the "Users must enter a user name
and password to use this computer " check box, and then click OK.

How to Enable Automatic Logon in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp

burdock
6th June 2010, 12:26
thanks for your advice

will try to talk her though it on the phone later

her friend loaded Avira antivrus which to have seemed to start all this

johncar54
6th June 2010, 13:23
Maybe try deleting the Avira antivrus and see what happens.

AVG (Antivirus) free version, is also a very good program.

burdock
7th June 2010, 08:27
Well didn't get chance to talk Jonalyn though the steps your ideas coz she had a friend format her pc

Thank you all for advice

it's lucky I saved any photo she showed me

KeithD
7th June 2010, 08:38
Why do people format computers :Erm: .... their is always a fix without being so drastic ..... If in the unlikely event you do need to format, partition the drive, install windows on the new partition, that way you still have your files, pics, etc.... copy them to the new partition... and delete the old one if you wish :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
18th June 2010, 23:47
Why do people format computers :Erm: .... their is always a fix without being so drastic ..... If in the unlikely event you do need to format, partition the drive, install windows on the new partition, that way you still have your files, pics, etc.... copy them to the new partition... and delete the old one if you wish :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Word we have had XP laptop and PC's run for 5 years and never have the OS reloaded/formated.

I guess people see IT admins and PC world type places simply wipe the PC as its almost guranteed to sort the problem and take a set time:rolleyes: Then think its the best option.