PDA

View Full Version : more money saving ideas

joebloggs
1st February 2007, 23:38
Keith, what happen to the thread started off by someone, i know it looked like they were promoting a cheap rate dial number, but i replied to it..
i think you deleted in :Erm: , i know you dont like people advertising sites

iam not getting paid by anyone, just want people to save thier money,,

well if you want to send FREE text msgs to the phlippines, use www.chikka.com
totally free !!
i've used it for years. saved £100's in text msgs

next for the "living in the UK test"
on ebay there is a company that has a license to reprint only parts of the book you need for the test if you are taking b4 april..
you can buy it now as a pdf file for 99p

its what my wife is using to take the test b4 april...

anyone else got money saving info, as £335 for a visa is a LOT OF MONEY TO some of us..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
2nd February 2007, 08:55
just tried that chikka thing..
It wouldnt connect. Waited for like 10 minutes watchin that spinning phone.
Add remove programmes did a good job though!!

joebloggs
2nd February 2007, 09:04
you should have waited fred, sometimes its busy, ive used it for years and my stepson uses most of the day to text his gf back in laguna

tiger@tigress
2nd February 2007, 09:23
im user of chikka.com but i cant send tj txt from it why?? :Erm:

joebloggs
2nd February 2007, 10:05
where is tj? in the philippines ?
they have to have globe,smart or sun sim card..
why canrt you send a text ? whats the problem?
when my wife was in philippines i use to send about 50-100 txt aday thru chikka for free..

its the only txt/sms program i would recommend..

fred
2nd February 2007, 12:26
you should have waited fred, sometimes its busy, ive used it for years and my stepson uses most of the day to text his gf back in laguna

OK I rarley do this but down loaded again.
Phone is still spinning though... Making me dizzy!!:Cuckoo:

timandjudith
2nd February 2007, 13:55
This may sound stupid but another idea is if you plan on visiting your asawa to be it might be an idea to buy her a cheap pc when you are here.

Pc,s are much cheaper here you can get an internet ready machine without thrills for about 15000 pesos, roughly 150 pounds. Then she can email you or instant message easily.

If you put just put a broadband line in for her, different than England it doesnt have a phone just internet, it will cost about 10 pounds a month.

Might save you money in the long run.

P.S A webcam here is about 10 pounds so then you can see your beautiful wife to be!

joebloggs
2nd February 2007, 14:34

lol, yes maybe its overloaded, but most of the time it works great, like i said my stepson is sat at my pc must be 6 hours a day just sending his gf txt msgs, but she doesnt reply thru her phone to chikka, as hes got a smart sim in his phone, so it only cost her 2php to text him, but iam sure chikka only charge about that..

try it a few times thru the day, not just once, maybe busy when the pinoy's are up and about, but i never really had problems with it. thats all i used to chat to my wife for 6 yrs , ICQ and chikka.

joebloggs
2nd February 2007, 14:38
oh thats another thing i did about 5 years ago, sent my wife, a BT cellnet mobile phone to her in the philippines, and i topped it up from here in the uk, text msgs were only 5p to send from me and for her! i wunder if that still works, ?? :Erm:

fred
2nd February 2007, 14:57
In the 80`s (no mobiles back then) one of my family members used to use a UK public telephone box to speak with me sometimes for an hour or more.
I used to go down to PLDT and then call the telephone box number through the Filipino operator advising her that the other end would be paying..
When she got through she asked "Mr bloggs" would he accept the charges..He very kindly did and like I say we spoke for ages.
That scam lasted about a year using different tel boxes each time.

BT have ripped me off ever since!!

baboyako
2nd February 2007, 19:47
I have a blackberry 8700 with google chat installed.

I guess gprs is already available in some parts of the Philippines, so in theory if the other person had a phone with google chat ( e.g. nokia e61) then chatting would be free, you just pay for the internet each month :Erm:

There might be a way to use chikka http://www.cellphoneobserver.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=724 so you can use google chat to sms a mobile (for free).. :Erm::Erm:

I feel an experiment coming.. :Help1:

baboyako
2nd February 2007, 19:56
:blacklistsmartassHL:REDancedancer08:

that actually works:icon_lol:. You just add a googlechat contact as 639...@chikkatalk.com & then the messages are sent (i assume for free).

sending a reply is 2.5pesos, so its better to use a normal sms (1peso).

pretty cool huh :D

Jay&Zobel
2nd February 2007, 22:15
I use Chikka.com for more than 2 years now. yep its really cheap way to send messages from Phil to UK (Php2.50) and vice versa (free).

When i was in the Phil, i also had a yahoo mobile account. so everytime Jay will send me YM msgs i could receive it via my mobile phone (when im not online). And to reply from mobile to yahoo (Php2.50 also).

So think its worth telling your Filipino Fiancee/GF/wife to use YM Mobile too while she's in the Philippines...

tiger@tigress
3rd February 2007, 01:17
where is tj? in the philippines ?
they have to have globe,smart or sun sim card..
why canrt you send a text ? whats the problem?
when my wife was in philippines i use to send about 50-100 txt aday thru chikka for free..

its the only txt/sms program i would recommend..

i cant send message to TJ celfone in England using my Chikka account i wonder why... ? :Brick: :Brick:

And why he cant put his YM id in mobile or sms like mins :Erm: :Erm:

joebloggs
3rd February 2007, 05:17
:blacklistsmartassHL:REDancedancer08:

that actually works:icon_lol:. You just add a googlechat contact as 639...@chikkatalk.com & then the messages are sent (i assume for free).

sending a reply is 2.5pesos, so its better to use a normal sms (1peso).

pretty cool huh :D

nice one, i think i know what i need to buy my stepson for his 18th bd this month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
3rd February 2007, 05:23
i cant send message to TJ celfone in England using my Chikka account i wonder why... ? :Brick: :Brick:

And why he cant put his YM id in mobile or sms like mins :Erm: :Erm:

chikka is only for mobiles in the countries listed on the site, UK is not one of them !, you can send free texts but not receive for free !

there are other text sms sites in the uk, you can use to send free texts if hes in the uk..

YM i dont know sorry, dont use it.

tiger@tigress
3rd February 2007, 06:15
chikka is only for mobiles in the countries listed on the site, UK is not one of them !, you can send free texts but not receive for free !

there are other text sms sites in the uk, you can use to send free texts if hes in the uk..

YM i dont know sorry, dont use it.

what other site is that? :Erm:

ettennom
3rd February 2007, 12:28
in the phil, u can but TEXTWISE PREPAID CARDS which costs 100 pesos.. and u can text anyone from uk. it will only cost u 6 pesos, compared to globe's 15 pesos per msg.

and if u r in uk, u cvan send a msg to ur gf in the phil thru ym, and she can reply to u via her mobile phone. but she must sign out in ym thru her mobile.

thats it

KeithD
3rd February 2007, 20:35
Washing condoms can also save money

:Erm:

fred
3rd February 2007, 21:03

Yes , agree but I find that they start to perish after the third wash.:cwm34:

Chrisirene
3rd February 2007, 22:08
Yeah - but they sure are easier to wash , if you make a hole in the other end too !!! :doh

ettennom
4th February 2007, 00:40
hi chrisrene!

ive read ur story in one of the posts/ just wondering..how long have u known ur bf before he came here? and how many times has he come here to visit you?

really informative the post uve made about your first meeting

hope to hear from u soon

thanks ;)

A_flyer
4th February 2007, 08:20
Can be a problem with your firewall, or your router if you use one.
I'm using Chikka for years without any problem.

joebloggs
4th February 2007, 11:35

OH KEITH,. :yikes:
i hope your talking about ones you have only used and you've not been down to the massage parlour again !! :doh

KeithD
4th February 2007, 21:39
Strange massage parlour......looks more like your house when you're at work :yikes:

joebloggs
5th February 2007, 12:17
hmm, funny the next door neighbour told me they saw a scouser hanging around, but my dog chased them off, said they knew it was a scouser as they were wearing a shell suit ! :icon_lol:

What do you call a scouser in a shell suit?

The Groom!

:smileybigtmouth:

man utd 4 - 0 ! :xxgrinning--00xx3: liverpool 0 - 0 :bigcry:

KeithD
5th February 2007, 20:55
End of Season.....

Liverpool 2 - Man U 2

Man U lose Premiership to Chelsea by 1 POINT

:REDancedancer08: :REDancedancer08: :REDancedancer08: