PDA

View Full Version : Chatbox

KeithD
9th May 2010, 00:04
I've had to change the chatbox to a simpler version as the other one was still crashing the forum for some people. This one only works on the main forum page, which is fine for generic chat.

However I've found a new plugin, but as it will cost $65 I'll ask if people think it'll be useful.

http://www.arrowchat.com/index.php?do=screenshots

This works exactly the same way as the chat on Facebook, and along with the above chatbox does not add as much bandwidth to the forum as the old scripts.

raynaputi
9th May 2010, 00:14
uhmm..so you can chat with only one person at a time with that software..just like Facebook...no conference chat??? :Erm:

KeithD
9th May 2010, 00:22
The conference chat is on the forum home page, the other is for one-2-one. Both different solutions giving users a choice.

raynaputi
9th May 2010, 00:25
The conference chat is on the forum home page, the other is for one-2-one. Both different solutions giving users a choice.

oh i see...:Erm::rolleyes:

somebody
9th May 2010, 00:36
Simpler and cheaper to use one of the various existing chat options such as the various IM protcols?

But i guess it does have a use that two people on here may wish to chat possibly one time but have no wish at least when they begin the chat of giving the other their contact details.

KeithD
9th May 2010, 12:32
Simpler and cheaper to use one of the various existing chat options such as the various IM protcols?

Maybe, but not everyone has accounts, whereas all members on here instantly have an account they can contact other members on. I'm still thinking about it, but not many options around.

DOM: The chatbox is here: http://filipinaroses.com/forum.php ....and the other one isn't installed. But your computer should no longer crash on the forum, as mine has been doing.

aromulus
9th May 2010, 19:11
DOM: The chatbox is here: http://filipinaroses.com/forum.php ....and the other one isn't installed. But your computer should no longer crash on the forum, as mine has been doing.

Although there is a space at the top for shoutbox, it is forever showing as loading.:doh
I tried to post a couple of times, and I don't know if it has gone through.:Erm:

I followed your link and then I can see it, added on favourites, but the shout box disappears again...:doh

KeithD
9th May 2010, 19:16
You do know that the problem is actually with your browser Dom, as no one else reports the problems you have :xxgrinning--00xx3: .... it's a Chelski virus ;)

What version are you on.... don't say IE5/6 :omg:

aromulus
9th May 2010, 19:30
What version are you on.... don't say IE5/6 :omg:
:76:

Sorry to be a spoilsport, but I am on IE8...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sim11UK
9th May 2010, 19:38
I haven't been able to read the forum all afternoon, just says shoutbox loading, then a blank page?
Getting fed up, as having nothing but problems with the forum. :angry:

aromulus
9th May 2010, 20:08
I haven't been able to read the forum all afternoon, just says shoutbox loading, then a blank page?
Getting fed up, as having nothing but problems with the forum. :angry:

Just hang in there, it is just a couple of glitches which will be resolved soon enough.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am in the same boat, and I know that it will be alright, just need some patience and a sturdy baseball bat to hit the pc with...:icon_lol:

Sim11UK
9th May 2010, 20:39
Just hang in there, it is just a couple of glitches which will be resolved soon enough.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am in the same boat, and I know that it will be alright, just need some patience and a sturdy baseball bat to hit the pc with...:icon_lol:

Nearly threw the laptop out the window earlier! :Brick:

KeithD
9th May 2010, 22:04
Actually, since the upgrade the sites getting more hits and more advertising revenue :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
9th May 2010, 23:00
Right, last Chatbox attempt... the one now you can't get a more stripped down version :76:

KeithD
10th May 2010, 13:19
Well that failed, caused the forum to hang :doh

Ah well, two solutions left.
1. No chatbox, but folk do seem to like it
2. A popup chatbox, which is the only solution. Problem is, if you have a popup blocker which most have it won't appear :Brick:

sars_notd_virus
10th May 2010, 13:46
can i go for the No. 1 option boss?
i like the chatbox

aromulus
10th May 2010, 13:49
It was working fine here, without any problems....:cwm23:

sars_notd_virus
10th May 2010, 13:54
I lost it:NoNo:

triple5
10th May 2010, 14:00
I've never had a single problem with the chatbox, and thats on a pretty slow connection and with some dodgy virus on my laptop :Erm: Don't know what folks are complaining about tbh

KeithD
10th May 2010, 14:03
I'll see if I can include a 3rd party one, that does not use this servers resources and slows everyone else down.

sars_notd_virus
10th May 2010, 14:27
thanks boss..can u send me the link for the fullpage chatbox link please
(maybe i fiddled my settings)

KeithD
10th May 2010, 14:29
thanks boss..can u send me the link for the fullpage chatbox link please
:Erm: We don't have a chatbox anymore, they wreck the forum.

keithAngel
10th May 2010, 15:24
what happened to the third party idea? i like the chat box to :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
10th May 2010, 18:27
Sorry to be a spoilsport ... but [personally] I'm happier without it, to be honest! I found it soooooooo frustrating ... having put a lot of concentrated thought and effort into my contributions ... to discover that my posts frequently weren't getting through. Not good for the old blood pressure at MY time of life! :olddude:

Arthur Little
10th May 2010, 18:47
Nearly threw the laptop out the window earlier! :Brick:

:doh ... know the feeling, Simon!

aromulus
10th May 2010, 18:56
:Erm: We don't have a chatbox anymore, they wreck the forum.

:doh

:bigcry::bigcry:

There must be something or the other, out there that works...:Erm:

I quite liked the last effort, didn't show any problems at all...:icon_sorry:

Please Boss I wish you would reconsider....:kissass:

South-east boy
10th May 2010, 22:36
I never really had any problems with the chat-box, just that one of the later versions the other day worked a bit slow. I really hope that we can get one to work ok eventually.

Was there any certain browsers where it seemed to work better or worse? :Erm:

KeithD
10th May 2010, 22:42
Was there any certain browsers where it seemed to work better or worse? :Erm:
IE8 Was problematic, and Chrome.

We had a chatroom on here since 2002 and no one used it :doh

Arthur Little
11th May 2010, 00:06

:ARsurrender: I know ... :gp: ... never COULD figure out WHY that should BE! :NoNo:

sars_notd_virus
11th May 2010, 06:42
chatboxxxxxxxxxx is backkkkkk:Hellooo::Jump:
thank you boss !!!

bornatbirth
11th May 2010, 10:40

yep, i dont know why not because as soon as the chatbox appeared everybody used it, maybe because they could chat and use the forum at the same time??

if the chatbox causes to many probs, why not put the chatroom back, besides dont most ladies from the forum chat on yahoo and face book as most are addicted to them.

the good thing about the chatbox that it gave different people to have a general chat to each other :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
11th May 2010, 10:53
:welcomex: to JOFSW ... who has introduced him/herself on the chatbox.

KeithD
12th May 2010, 01:38
Right. This chatbox appears to be stable, but I had to rewrite someone else's code to get it to work on the thread pages :angry:

I've also got to add all the smilies one-by-one as they do not read from the database, I could write the code, but that's too much hassle.