PDA

View Full Version : approaching a lady in the shop/street

sparky
18th April 2010, 19:58
no i am not a perv (at least not on this occasion :D ) but i was in tesco today when i saw/heard a young lady who sounded filipino.

i thought about approaching her to ask if she lived local and about the local pinay community, for when my wife comes over soon (hopefully )

then i stopped myself cos i thought that she might think i was just trying to hit on her.:Erm:

what do you ladies think?

how would you feel if some stranger approached you like this>??:Help1:

mistermatty
18th April 2010, 20:18
no i am not a perv (at least not on this occasion :D ) but i was in tesco today when i saw/heard a young lady who sounded filipino.

i thought about approaching her to ask if she lived local and about the local pinay community, for when my wife comes over soon (hopefully )

then i stopped myself cos i thought that she might think i was just trying to hit on her.:Erm:

Classic post especially as i know you :laugher::laugher:....in my line of work i quite often meet and Pinnoys and always drop in a few words of Tagalog which always seem to get a laugh and make a starting a conversation a lot easier .....already have a couple of locals who want to meet up and make chika chila when the princess arrives .

Arthur Little
18th April 2010, 20:30

Well, I'M not a lady :) ... but I really don't think there'd have been any harm in approaching this woman. :NoNo: Besides all you needed to do was simply explain to her WHY you'd done so, and ... on that basis ... she'd have no reason for suspecting you'd any ulterior motive in asking a perfectly :innocent1: question.

nigel
18th April 2010, 20:40
".....So if a man you've never met before suddenly gives you flowers....kick him in the crotch cause he's probably a psycho!...."

:rolleyes:

triple5
19th April 2010, 01:29
I think that's the way fellas in the UK are programmed to think now, that if you even dare to strike up a conversation with a lady who's a stranger you'll have a sexual harrasment case on your hands, or a kick in the nuts :D

I was in a nightclub a few years ago and bumped into a girl and it was one of them where you step to the left to let her past, she goes the same way, you step right, she goes same way and so on until your doing a funny dance together. I laughed at it and she looked at me like I was turd she'd just stepped on. Typical really :rolleyes: It's attitudes like that always made me apprehensive about approaching western ladies.

Arthur Little
19th April 2010, 01:37
:yikes: ... all the replies so far have been from the male gender ... so c'mon ladies, let's be having YOUR views ...

keithAngel
19th April 2010, 02:36
No problem at all Sparky its cultural over here I cant count the times a checkout girl has asked me ,where im from ,how long im staying , where i live and what im doing tonight so your conversational gambit is very laid back just pop your cell number into her hand and wait for contact:rolleyes:

raynaputi
19th April 2010, 07:43
well there's nothing wrong if some guy i dont know would approach me..as long as he has explained well what he wants (i.e. asking questions and be a friend) and be a gentleman..it's just in a matter of the ways the guy would approach a girl for it to be called offensive or not. ;)

sars_notd_virus
19th April 2010, 08:13

Depends on how i woke up that day:rolleyes:
We woman got a defense mechanism :76:
My advice is that u should have tried to speak even a little tagalog phrase and when she glance back at you,then you'll know shes filipina..

nigel
19th April 2010, 15:42
I sometimes mistake Nepal girls to be Filipina cause they've also got that smile :smileybigtmouth: and I think Thai girls also can look similar..:Erm:

triple5
20th April 2010, 01:46
My advice is that u should have tried to speak even a little tagalog phrase and when she glance back at you,then you'll know shes filipina..

And if she's not a filipina she'll think you're :crazy:

sars_notd_virus
20th April 2010, 04:37
And if she's not a filipina she'll think you're :crazy:

:D

Les_lady888
24th April 2010, 15:16
Im not in UK and Im not married to a Brit but if I am, and another Brit guy approaches me while in a store and starts a conversation.....then my reaction would depend on HOW he approaches me.....I think if he asks me nicely then I don't see any reason why I should not reciprocate the same. I would be very glad to be of help in any way to make his pinay girl feel welcome in UK "too".

somebody
24th April 2010, 16:38
I do think you should be careful where you approach ie make sure plenty of people around for both your sakes. Whereever she is from she may have a reason why she dont want some guy speaking to her at that moment in time.

But why not ask make sure you thought though what you wanna say as to make sure she understands clearly as you wont know her level of English. If she misunderstands you may find suddenly her hubby being called:D

Also you may find like my Wife although she would never be rude to a request she has had a her fair share of meeting Fillipinas she could have done with out meeting but of course many she has met in the weirdest fashion who are great friends. So she is cautious of the oh my wife is phill your bound to like her:rolleyes:

Nothing personal to your Wife Sparky as one good mate by coincidence met a phill lady online somehow and when it looked real serious for a while the Wife was like oh I hope she is nice as I know everyone gonna think we have to be buddies as we both pinays. They were very different in background, region,dialect and outlook in life from what i gathered. So helping her settle was one thing wheter they would be buddies was another matter:)

Ie just as we dont get on with every Brit we ever meet do stop n think not every phill will feel they have to get on with every phill but thats not to say they will help her and make her welcome:)

KeithD
24th April 2010, 16:54
Just do what I do .... walk up and ask them how much? ;)

Arthur Little
24th April 2010, 17:43
So long as you don't approach them, looking like THIS ... :hubbahubba: ... or even like his [less] lusty wee brother!!

GaryFifer
24th April 2010, 18:31
You could say you were from immigration I am sure she would speak to you.:)

Arthur Little
24th April 2010, 18:56
You could say you were from immigration I am sure she would speak to you.:)

Sure, Gary :nono-1-1: ... mair like' the puir wee sowel wid rin a mile! :603785:

sparky
25th April 2010, 00:21
normally i am in a suit so i suppose look sort of official i guess

all i want is my wife to settle well here:cwm34:

having been an expat myself i know how important it is to have your own kind in a strange country:ARsurrender:

Arthur Little
25th April 2010, 01:59
normally i am in a suit so i suppose look sort of official i guess

:iagree: ... without looking TOO official ... as you MIGHT do in a uniform! BTW, as this was last Sunday, am I to assume you were on your way home from the 'Lord's House'? :)

Arthur Little
25th April 2010, 02:04
all i want is my wife to settle well here:cwm34:

having been an expat myself i know how important it is to have your own kind in a strange country:ARsurrender:

:gp: I'm sure you DO ... and she WILL! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sparky
19th May 2010, 18:43
as a fllow up to this thread i went to my local chicken shop today for a spot of lunch and who should be serving me but this very same lady:yikes:

so she gives me my change and i say salamat
she ignores me:Erm:
so i ask her -are you philippino and strike up a conversation and then she gets all excited cos my mrs will be moving to the area and tells me she knows the local food shop for dried fish etc. couldnt bloody shut her up in the end:icon_lol:

still dunno why she didnt understand my salamat- might have been my broad manchester accent:76:

mistermatty
22nd May 2010, 08:15
as a fllow up to this thread i went to my local chicken shop today for a spot of lunch and who should be serving me but this very same lady:yikes:

so she gives me my change and i say salamat
she ignores me:Erm:
so i ask her -are you philippino and strike up a conversation and then she gets all excited cos my mrs will be moving to the area and tells me she knows the local food shop for dried fish etc. couldnt bloody shut her up in the end:icon_lol:

still dunno why she didnt understand my salamat- might have been my broad manchester accent:76:

i told my missus that dried fish is illegal here mate , so no teaching her bad habits pls

bornatbirth
22nd May 2010, 10:24
hmm i think its best you let your wife decide who she wants to meet and experience it for herself?

i know your trying to help, i have tried the same thing to encourage my wife to meet up with fellow filipinas, the only ones she met herself are her friends now :)

bornatbirth
22nd May 2010, 10:24
hmm i think its best you let your wife decide who she wants to meet and experience it for herself?

i know your trying to help, i have tried the same thing to encourage my wife to meet up with fellow filipinas, the only ones she met herself are her friends now :)

sparky
23rd May 2010, 00:30
havnt u got better things to do on ur honeymoon than post on this thread:omg:

sparky
23rd May 2010, 00:31
[QUOTE=mistermatty;222894]i told my missus that dried fish is illegal here mate , so no teaching her bad habits pls[/
havnt u got better things to do on ur honeymoon than post on this thread]

English Rose
27th May 2010, 20:51
Put her at her ease straight away by mentioning your wife. "Excuse me, my wife is coming over from the Phillipines soon and ......" then she'll know you're not trying to hit on her.

bornatbirth
27th May 2010, 21:11
Put her at her ease straight away by mentioning your wife. "Excuse me, my wife is coming over from the Phillipines soon and ......" then she'll know you're not trying to hit on her.

sparky forgot to say he was wearing a gorilla suit at the time :icon_lol:

sparky
27th May 2010, 21:43
sparky forgot to say he was wearing a gorilla suit at the time :icon_lol:

you may laugh at that but i do have one.............:icon_lol:

Sim11UK
27th May 2010, 22:06
you may laugh at that but i do have one.............:icon_lol:

Me too...anybody else got one? :piss2: