PDA

View Full Version : 76 year old mom denied visitors visa, help!

darlamoon
12th April 2010, 11:26
Hello to everyone. I just need some info on my appeal on my mothers visitors visa.
My husband and I permanent residents here in Singapore. We decided to bring my 76 year old mother along to our UK trip( our second trip since HQ of husbands company is there). I applied for my moms visa in manila since that’s were she is from. I attached all the necessary documents which I thought would be ok for her application. At any rate, she was denied. We got the reply march 26, 2010.Although we were instructed that we could file an appeal. The reasons for the denial were: the consul didn’t see that my mom was seriously wanting to go to the UK. She made mention that she was joining us but saw no visa application from us.
Yup, I messed that application up. Shoot me please!:bigcry:
The good comment was that she clearly could afford her trip and accomodations.:)

So in the appeal form I attached photocopies of our Singapore identity cards, my passport with 2 previous(expired) UK visas,my husband’s valid visa, confirmed hotel and airfare tickets for us.
We also attached a letter, explaining that I would file for my visa upon my return to Singapore and attached my return ticket manila-singapore.

I explained in writing, that my husband and I are Singapore permanent residents,thus must apply from here. We hope to finalize my mothers accommodation and airfare upon the approval of her visa. And that we would take her around London to see the sights as this is her first time and for us our 3rd.

We went to the embassy in manila to delivery the appeal but were told by the embassy staff that it had to be sent via courier. So we did. The appeal was received March 30,2010 at 9am. We did not enclose my mothers passport as it was specifically indicated in the appeal form that it shouldn’t be.

To date we haven’t had any update. Our scheduled flight is on may 14, we still have to bring my mom here to Singapore so that we can all be on the same flight. I am so apprehensive that because of my carelessness my mom wont be able to join us. :Brick: How long do appeals of this sort take? Does my mom have to reapply or just wait it out? Based on the website it takes 8 weeks and the papers are sent to the UK to be reviewed? Any suggestions out there?help!
thanks

joebloggs
12th April 2010, 13:15
probably your only hope now is to ask the embassy to reconsider the application ( they should do this anyway ! ) but provide the evidence you missed before and write a letter to the ECO manager, explaining everything and stating that your flights are on the 14th of may, so time is short.

if it does go to an appeal you could be waiting upto a few months !, who knows..

you could try and apply for another visit visa for her, then if successul cancel your appeal.

darlamoon
13th April 2010, 20:52
thanks Joebloggs, i did all of that. i have counted the days since the papers/documents were recieved by the british embassy in manila and it has been 8 days. do you think calling up and verifying the status on my moms "reconsideration" would help? thanks again...

Arthur Little
14th April 2010, 14:03
thanks Joebloggs, ... do you think calling up and verifying the status on my moms "reconsideration" would help? thanks again...

:Hellooo: and :welcomex:. I can't speak for Joe. But having read 'jbt's' reply to your query on a separate thread, I feel that it would do no harm calling the Embassy ... if you feel you have the patience to await their response! To save you having to check back on that particular posting, I shall recap on the contact details s/he gave you ... which are, as undernoted:

email: manilavisaenquiries@fco.gov.uk
Telephone: [0063] 28582398
Business Hours: Monday thru Thursday ... 08.00 - 15.45hrs & Friday ... 08.00 - 12.30hrs

Good Luck with your Mum's visa! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

darlamoon
14th April 2010, 14:38
Hi Arthur, thanks so much for posting the reply. i dont mind waiting on the phone as long as i find out the status on my mums application. :Hellooo:

darlamoon
15th April 2010, 10:58
an update on my mums visa:
she was able to talk to the visa office and the consul said" we will get in touch with you within 2 months or sooner" that was it.
she informed him that she wanted very much to join the family in our trip this may 14, and if possible get a more specific update. the reply was the same...
i am so dead...:Help1:
so will reapplying be the better alternative than waiting for the results of the appeal? can i fast track the application which takes 5-7 days? :Erm:

darlamoon
19th April 2010, 08:59
my mom called the visa section today again, still the same. and if she were to apply they dont know how long it would take. i on the other hand applied here in singapore today, hope to get it within 5 days. so frustrated...:bigcry:

Pete/London
19th April 2010, 10:39
Hi Darla

I hope you hear some good news on your Mums visa application
soon, it is very frustrating dealing with the embassy who seem to work at a slower pace from the rest of us.

As you live in Singapore could you offer me some advice?

My sister-in-law has in the last week started working in Singapore and is in the process of setting up home etc.She is finding everything expensive compared to the Philippines as I think she is staying around the tourist areas.Where are the best places to shop for household items such as bed linen,cutlery,that sort of thing, and where to eat out for the people who work in Singapore.

Cheers Peter

darlamoon
19th April 2010, 11:17
Hi Darla

I hope you hear some good news on your Mums visa application
soon, it is very frustrating dealing with the embassy who seem to work at a slower pace from the rest of us.

As you live in Singapore could you offer me some advice?

My sister-in-law has in the last week started working in Singapore and is in the process of setting up home etc.She is finding everything expensive compared to the Philippines as I think she is staying around the tourist areas.Where are the best places to shop for household items such as bed linen,cutlery,that sort of thing, and where to eat out for the people who work in Singapore.

Cheers Peter

HI Peter,
thank you for your encouragement...i hope we get good news soon on my moms visa. i just dont understand why they move so slow....

as for your sister in law, singapore is getting to be an expensive place to live in. our friends that just moved here from san diego, are amazed at how expensive things are here compared to the states, what more to the philippines. Normally flats are rented out furnished here, unless your sister in law decided to get it unfurnished. a furnished flat would cost an additional S$200-300 more to the rent. at any rate, IKea, Giant,Fairprice are reasonably priced places to find everthing she needs. Or she could go to www.mocca.com.sg or www.gumtree.com.sg where all second hand items are sold at cheap prices.i suggest she takes a look at the items first before she decides to purchase new ones as some items are really in good condition. oh,she might be interested in checking out my 2 year old LG freshmaster no frost 3 door refrigerator and my toshiba dramatic theater tv 45" at @250each. they are in very good condition.of course she should try the ever dependable Salvation Army which has loads of good finds.

eating out would be easy..all she has to do is head to the hawker centers or Kopitiam foodcourts. food is great and all the locals eat there. if she likes spicy food, she will be fine,if not i strongly suggest that she specify "NO CHILI PLEASE". a good meal would cost around $5.

if she needs to remit money to manila she can head down to the 2nd floor of Lucky Plaza along orchard road. there are several remittance centers there, that have good rates and charge only $3.95 to remit to a bank.

hope this helps, if theres anything else...just let me know...

cheers,

Pete/London
19th April 2010, 13:14
Many thanks for your reply and I will pass on the info.

She is sharing a house with workmates so I am not sure of her needs for refrigerator and tv, but I think she will be at home with the food and chilli`s.
I don`t think I have ever seen my wife Dee eat any food without a bottle of
chilli sauce around and her family are all the same. :cwm23:

cheers

darlamoon
19th April 2010, 14:39
i am sure your sister in laws housemates will show her the ropes. she is in good hands...
cheers....

Pete/London
19th April 2010, 15:20
Not really :doh they have all started at the same time

thanks

darlamoon
20th April 2010, 11:16
dont worry the Filipino community here is pretty strong. we help one another...they will be fine.
cheers

darlamoon
26th April 2010, 11:51
today my mom spoke to the consul again and he told her to send an email to manilavisaenquiries@fco.gov.uk and ask the status of the evaluation of her visa. so we emailed them today. its been exactly 20 days since we sent our appeal, and still nothing new. :NoNo:

joebloggs
26th April 2010, 13:19
today my mom spoke to the consul again and he told her to send an email to manilavisaenquiries@fco.gov.uk and ask the status of the evaluation of her visa. so we emailed them today. its been exactly 20 days since we sent our appeal, and still nothing new. :NoNo:

did you ask if the ECO manger reconsidered your visa app (and i think you sent new evidence ??) ?

if they did and they still refused your visa app, looks like it has gone to appeal and who knows it could be months :NoNo:

darlamoon
27th April 2010, 05:46
did you ask if the ECO manger reconsidered your visa app (and i think you sent new evidence ??) ?

if they did and they still refused your visa app, looks like it has gone to appeal and who knows it could be months :NoNo:

Hi Joebloggs,
thats the problem the man answering the phone gives out scripted replies. although he does see my moms file on the computer but all he says "we will contact you when we have news". my mom asked him if he could guide her on what to do and he gave her the answer of "it normally takes 2 months or sooner". yes we did give new evidence. after my moms email yesterday, she just got an automated reply. so i think getting it this week, wont happen.:bigcry:

darlamoon
8th May 2010, 09:42
6 days to go before our departure and my mom hasnt heared from the british embassy. with monday being a non working day, we have 3 days for a miracle...

darlamoon
12th May 2010, 05:17
my mom got the call from the embassy today and her visa has been approved! she picks it up tomorrow with a 1 hour wait to attach visa to her passport! now this add the excitement we were all looking for! its a mad dash to pack, book her tickets, get some cash today! thanks everyone!

joebloggs
12th May 2010, 10:59
:xxgrinning--00xx3: just in time :doh

Arthur Little
12th May 2010, 12:14
my mom got the call from the embassy today and her visa has been approved! she picks it up tomorrow with a 1 hour wait to attach visa to her passport! now this add the excitement we were all looking for! its a mad dash to pack, book her tickets, get some cash today! thanks everyone!

:cwm24: 11th hour - right enough, Darla! But still ... at least your mom now HAS her visa. I'm so pleased ... just wish she [indeed all of you] had been spared the (unnecessary and otherwise avoidable) anxiety!

darlamoon
1st June 2010, 08:27
you bet!

darlamoon
1st June 2010, 08:31
HI Arthur, well we are back from our 2 week vacation and we had a wonderful time. all the anxieties that we went through seems like a distant past. i am glad she did get her visa and wont have to tick the box which asks if you were ever denied a visa in the past. so now we sort out all the photos taken...:icon_lol:

pennybarry
1st June 2010, 08:36

Congrats Darla and wish your Mom will do enjoy in visiting other country. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
I have friends in Holland, UK and Norway who were so excited to invite their Moms but they all didn't finish their validity of stay. Elderly seems much enjoy more with family in Pinas than family abroad. :Brick::omg::doh