PDA

View Full Version : Is a legal separation in the Philippines enough to obtain a fiancée visa for the UK?

halfluke
13th January 2007, 18:56
Hello,
I'm an Italian guy living and working in the UK.
I met a Filipino girl studying in UK, but now she's back in RP.
I'm planning to go and visit her this summer, but I also would like to know:

since she is still married with a Filipino (even if they dont live together anymore), is a legal separation enough for her to obtain a fiancée visa for UK?
Could she marry me here in UK with just a legal separation in the Philippines?
Do you know anything about Guam? Could she marry me here in UK with a divorce/annulment obtain in Guam, and would she be granted a fiancée visa?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

fred
13th January 2007, 20:29
Why are you asking questions that other forums have answered for you ten fold ?
Don`t you believe them?
IMO you are asking questions that you very well know the answer to. Tut tut.

A_flyer
13th January 2007, 21:08
To obtain a Fiancé she must be officially single (thru official Philippines NSO documents). If not it's a visa fraud.
To marry someone, this person must be single (see line above). Legal separation is not recognize as to be single, she is still married.
A divorce for a Filipino citizen is recognized only by the Philippines administration if the person is married to a Foreigner (not a Filipino citizen). Guam divorce is not a valid option.

Your only way is to go thru annulment, like you can read here and in other forums.

Last point, as you're not English but a Foreigner residing in UK, I don't think you can obtain a Fiancé visa to UK.

halfluke
14th January 2007, 06:23
Sorry,
I can assure you I haven't been lazy and I've looked around a lot, but the answers I found were not definitely clear.

Ok, so the only proper and legal way is an annulment.
But: we also know that a divorce obtained in another country would let her remarry in many other countries, except for the Philippines.
So my question is: what would happen if we get married abroad and then she has to go back to Philippines?
Would she be filed for bigamy? Wouldn't she be allowed to leave her country anymore?

KeithD
14th January 2007, 09:49
Would she be filed for bigamy?

This was answered a couple of weeks back...YES.

A_flyer
14th January 2007, 10:19
So my question is: what would happen if we get married abroad and then she has to go back to Philippines?
Would she be filed for bigamy? Wouldn't she be allowed to leave her country anymore?
You have to think of you too. If you marry and she still married for the Philippinnes administration. All verifications done there (IE by Embassies for a visa) will show your marriage is false. So it will be void but it's also visa and immigration fraud. So you may be prosecuted in Europe too. Remember that is all European countries illegal immigration is a big issue these days... and all countries are more and more strict on this.

halfluke
14th January 2007, 11:49
Ok I see,
but it's not exactly a fraud.
It may be a fraud for the Filipino government only.
A divorce obtained abroad should allow a new marriage abroad.
She just couldn't use the new marriage to obtain a visa.
I mean: theoretically, she could use her divorce paper obtained in Guam if she's abroad let's say for study reasons, to get married again.
I don't think we are going to use this half-legal method: too many problems. I was just exploring all the different options.

A_flyer
14th January 2007, 12:16
Ok I see,
but it's not exactly a fraud.
It may be a fraud for the Filipino government only.
Bigamy is a fraud in all countries... except the ones that allows polygamy (they are few!)
When marrying a Foreign citizen, you will be asked for a singleness certificate from her Citizenship country. How you will get it?
When I married my Filipina in France, they asked documents directly from her Embassy in Paris to check the validity of her status.

If she is on a student visa, it's not a spouse visa. Remember you're not living and working in your country (I mean your citizenship country). So I don't think you can adjust her status to stay legally as easy as this.

halfluke
14th January 2007, 12:34
Ok...
But what's a divorce obtained in Guam useful for then??
By the way, I'm from Italy, and in Europe there are no restrictions.
For me in UK it's like if I was living in Italy

A_flyer
14th January 2007, 12:48
But what's a divorce obtained in Guam useful for then??
Nothing if it concerns 2 Filipino citizens.

By the way, I'm from Italy, and in Europe there are no restrictions.
You're totally wrong, there are restrictions in Europe...

For me in UK it's like if I was living in Italy
Yes, because you are a citizen from European Union (even a US citizen has difficulties to come and settle to work in Europe). A Filipina is not so the problem is quite more complex!

Just a question: why are you trying to trick the laws and not going thru only legally? Be careful that all immigrations know better than you all the tricks to do the things illegally. You will be trapped one time.

ginapeterb
14th January 2007, 13:09
Halfluke,

My collegaues Yves and Keith have given you very good advice, you should refrain from trying to circumvent the laws of our country, as an Italian citizen, you are resident in the UK, which you are entitled to work and reside, however you are not entitled to get around the laws of the UK, since many of us on this forum have had to patiently wait to obtain the required visa's for our wives, we take exception to those who would seek to get around our countries immigration laws, without doing things properly.

Your Girlfriend is a Filipino citizen, she may not obtain divorce anywhere in the world from her husband, the only action she may take is to file for a legal anulment if her case warrants it, however that is a matter for the Philippine Supreme court, and not for this forum to consider.

As you are someone presently settled in the United Kingdom you would need to apply for entry clearance visa for your GF at the British Embassy, until your GF has a legal anulment granted 6 to 18 months, then you can take no further action.

I can only concur with my colleague Yves in Republic of France, and Keith here in UK, Im sure Rob our colleague in Wales will no doubt concur, I trust you will do the right thing.

Thank you for coming to the forum.

Pete

halfluke
14th January 2007, 14:06
Thank you very much.

I don't want and I'm not going to trick the laws.
As I said, she will probably file for an annulment (and I'll pay :) )
I asked you about the Guam thing because I've found a couple of website talking about that.

I can post their links here.
If i'm not allowed, please feel free to remove them.

Luca

http://www.nevadadivorce.net/Philippines_divorce.html
(scroll down the page and you find more or less what the Filipino Family Code says)

http://public.findlaw.com/mboards/webx.html?229@61.HxFVebG7oIQ%5E0@.ef1469e/2094
it is a reply to case similar to mine, and it states that a divorce obtained abroad would let her remarry anywhere except in RP.
But the visa and the bigamy problem wouldn't be solved, that's why I think we are going for the long and safe side.

By the way: what happens is the annulment is refused? Have you ever heard about cases of refused annulments? I guess that that would be the final end of any dream... :Brick:

A_flyer
14th January 2007, 15:05
Both sites are more relative to US (I mean a US person wants to marry a Filipino citizen). Laws are very different there than in Europe (for example there is no unique database for marriage in the US so it's very difficult to know if a US citizen is really single). In Europe, most countries have a database recording marriages/divorce/birth/deaths, so do the Philippines.

The first site is speaking of divorce in the Philippines, but it explain the annulment in reality which is not the same.

Regarding the Philippines laws, here are the extracts:

Art. 26. All marriages solemnized outside the Philippines, in accordance with the laws in force in the country where they were solemnized, and valid there as such, shall also be valid in this country, except those prohibited under Articles 35 (1), (4), (5) and (6), 3637 and 38. (17a)
Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall have capacity to remarry under Philippine law. (As amended by Executive Order 227)

Only a divorce originated by the foreigner spouse will be recognize by the Philippines.

For the annulment, you have first to refer to the Family code of the Philippines where you have all the grounds to start an annulment procedure:
Read it from here: http://www.chanrobles.com/executiveorderno209.htm
Title I, Chapter 3, article 35 to 50

To file an annulment, you go to court. So it's like other cases at court... long, costly and without 100% warranty of success.
Get a good lawyer there (don't hire one abroad, only one in the area of the court where the annulment have to be filed).

Good luck!

francesca
17th January 2007, 09:02
good topic Yves.
I have filipina in Paris asking me how to file an annulment. I told them to first determine if they have grounds. If they have, the next question is, if they can afford the hefty process. Its not only because they wanted it, they must be ready emotionally and financilally until the process is finish.

Many clients of Atty Pulido, after they agreed the agreement fees, start filing the case in court, they dont want to continue anymore the case.

Or they said, lets move on with the case, when petition made, they said, sorry, I went back to my husband, LOL

Or a client lied to the atty. Or the client said her husband is nowhere to find, but discovered her husband still lives in the clients house.

In summary, when a client said I want an annulment, Atty Pulido would say, are you ready for your grounds? I dont want lies and I dont fabricate grounds for you.
Hehe.

A_flyer
17th January 2007, 12:42
You're true Francesca, it's not a easy process!

halfluke
17th January 2007, 16:08
Well, if I start paying and then she changes her mind or she even goes back to her husband... I would have deserved the cheat :Brick:

bentghie
17th January 2007, 20:29
Well, if I start paying and then she changes her mind or she even goes back to her husband... I would have deserved the cheat :Brick:
================

THATS A BIG PROBLEM:omg:

ANYWAY,, YOU NEED TO BE SURE THAT YOUR GF/FIANCEE DONT HAVE FEELINGS TO HER HUSBAND.

baboyako
17th January 2007, 21:16
I'd say it was the last thing you need to concern yourself with::doh

Last point, as you're not English but a Foreigner residing in UK, I don't think you can obtain a Fiancé visa to UK.

halfluke
18th January 2007, 15:10
Well, I love her, and I've chosen to risk.

About the fiance visa: I'm quite sure that being an Italian living in UK doesn't affect that

baboyako
18th January 2007, 17:20
so why don't people rent a mailbox in latvia, apply for a latvian fiancee visa (must be easy I would imagine), then get a EEA family permit?:Help1:

halfluke
19th January 2007, 00:23
I can't understand your last reply.

I can check the UK immigration rules again, but I'm quite sure she can obtain a fiancé visa to marry me in UK.

But this is a problem for the future... Now the matter is not getting screwed by her husband and getting that bloody annulment, which I know it wonìt be easy nor quick :Brick:

halfluke
19th January 2007, 01:02
I need your wise advice on this matter:

my gf is probably starting the annulment process next month, she has already met her husband and he even seems to be keen to pay half of it!
But he wouldn't like to be the "psychologically incapacitated" one.
Actually, she left the family house (because of his infidelity), so he may have better grounds to file than her.
But as we know, a good psychiatrist and a good lawyer can make miracles.

We have to make a decision: let him file the annulment and have the control of the whole process (of course she wouldn't oppose)? or she'd better to keep the control and file (and in this case he may oppose and maybe refuse to pay, because he doesn't want to be defined psychologically incapacitated)?

I know that a consentient husband may be quite a rare and lucky case, but it may not be as good as it seems... Any experience or advice?

Thanks

Jimbo
23rd January 2007, 21:35
Hi Halfluke

Some of the advice that has been given to you is not entirely correct.
However everybody’s circumstances are different and there are some areas mentioned in previous posts that I will not be drawn into.

That said it is possible for your fiancé to obtain a divorce abroad and subsequently be granted a fiancé visa. A marriage that follows would be perfectly legal anywhere except of course in the Philippines.

Jimbo

halfluke
23rd January 2007, 21:48
Hi Halfluke

Some of the advice that has been given to you is not entirely correct.
However everybody’s circumstances are different and there are some areas mentioned in previous posts that I will not be drawn into.

That said it is possible for your fiancé to obtain a divorce abroad and subsequently be granted a fiancé visa. A marriage that follows would be perfectly legal anywhere except of course in the Philippines.

Jimbo

Excuse me Jimbo, but if you know something that none else knows.. could you please tell me?
Expecially the matter concerning how to obtain a fiancé visa after a divorce obtained abroad.
Thanks!

KeithD
23rd January 2007, 23:35
It doesn't matter what you do, it will still be illegal in the Philippines unless it is annulled there.

Ping
24th January 2007, 09:00
HEy listen. if your girlfriend was married in the Philippines she can not file a divorced anywhere and there is no divorce law in the country.Their married was registered in Philippines so its not legal or valid if in case she obtained a divorced paper outside the country.She has to file an annulment if she got a good grounds. There is no other way my dear so keep on reading in this forum and in Pete's cause it was a long time topic. Okay!

Jimbo
24th January 2007, 12:08
Halfluke

Obtaining a fiancé visa is a long and frustrating business and I have no idea whether your application would be successful.
However there is nothing to stop your fiancé obtaining a divorce overseas that is recognized internationally except in the Philippines.
Actually it would be recognized in the British Embassy in Manila!
With a valid divorce of course you can marry in this country and you will not encounter any problems doing so. Also there will be no problems with the home office. It is all perfectly legal and entirely normal. Filipino family code does not apply outside the Philippines.
Your situation is similar to mine a couple of years ago.

Win2Win

You are correct and there are potential problems in the Philippines but in practice it is unlikely to matter.

Jimbo

A_flyer
24th January 2007, 13:40
One of the requirement for filing a divorce in a foreign country is to be resident (and so have a residency card/permit). It's not applicable for people having a tourist/work/student visa.

halfluke
24th January 2007, 14:30
Except in Guam :D

But the problem still stays: if she had another opportunity to live abroad, then we might probably married with a divorce obtained, let's say, in Guam.
But we can't use our marriage to obtain a visa, that's the problem! Because to obtain a marriage visa she would still have to go back to the Philippines where the new marriage wouldn't be recognized.

Anyway, I'm planning to move to the Phil this summer, to be close to her until she gets the annulment.
I'll use my savings!

Jimbo
24th January 2007, 21:51
to obtain a marriage visa she would still have to go back to the Philippines where the new marriage wouldn't be recognized.

The British Embassy in Manila would recognize your partners divorce and your proposed marriage.
The Philippine authorities play no part in your visa application.

Jimbo

KeithD
24th January 2007, 22:52
The Philippine authorities play no part in your visa application.
Jimbo
Yes they do....The British Embassy now checks all details with them.

A_flyer
24th January 2007, 23:13
Absolutely, European Embassies verify the papers and the status of the Filipino citizen thru the Philippines administration. And if they smell something strange or unclear, visa is denied. Most Euroepan countries are tightening their imigration rules. That's why it's always better to follow rules and requirements, even if we all would like to shorten them!

And don't forget he is not a UK citizen but an Italian one. So it make it a bit more difficult (IE it's usually not possible to request a Fiancé visa outside its home and citizenship country, Italy in his case).

Jimbo
25th January 2007, 13:11
European Embassies verify the papers and the status of the Filipino citizen thru the Philippines administration. And if they smell something strange or unclear, visa is denied

You seem to be implying that obtaining a divorce is illegal. It is not.

Last year my wife successfully obtained her fiancé visa at the British Embassy in Manila. We were totally honest and open about all our circumstances.
The fact that my Filipino wife had divorced her Filipino husband while she was overseas was not an issue as in British law we were free to marry.

I would not presume that Halfluke’s case would be successful as every case is individual. However statements that it is not possible to obtain a fiancé visa with a legal divorce are simply not true.

Jimbo

KeithD
25th January 2007, 13:27
It is bigamy under Philippine law no matter what way you look at it, and we DO NOT condone illegal means on this forum.

halfluke
25th January 2007, 21:12
THIS IS QUITE ODD!

EITHER it is bigamy and illegal, OR the British embassy in Manila granted the visa with a divorce obtained abroad.

I can't imagine that a the British Embassy availed an illegal situation with some grease money...

:NoNo:

KeithD
25th January 2007, 23:23
It's all here http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2398 It's bigamy in the Philippines unless you have had a legal annulment in the Philippines.

If you get a divorce in the UK, the UK witll recognise that divorce....but return to the Philippines and the UK marriage is not recognised as you are still legally married to the original husband. In effect....bigamy.

halfluke
26th January 2007, 00:24
And who cares about bigamy if the British embassy would let you have a visa??
It seems that two different legislations are allowed to coexist here...

A_flyer
26th January 2007, 08:14
Your Wife I think...
Anyway when coming together to the Phils you will not be able to use any of the advantages to be her Spouse as you have no rights there. You will be a visitor only.

Other thing is that Guam is a US territory so she needs a US visa to go there. Getting a Tourist Visa from the US Embassy is not easier than getting one from the European Embassies.

As I said before, better to use the regular way than trying to trick the system.

halfluke
26th January 2007, 10:20
I want to say again that I don't want to trick the system.

The problem is that it seems the system ALLOWES to be tricked someway.

That really sounds strange to me.

Jimbo
26th January 2007, 12:06
Even the nuns at the CFO in Manila were pragmatic enough to accept that divorce and annulment are equivalent. My wife gave her status as divorced and they endorsed her passport that contained her fiancé visa.

Jimbo

A_flyer
26th January 2007, 13:21
When marrying a Foreigner (meaning one has another Citizenship than yours), each Citizen have to follow the marriage laws and rules of his/her Citizenship country (and if residing abroad of both Citizenship Country, the marriage laws and rules of the living Country).
So it can be a bit complicate!
If not living in the Citizenship country, it's your personal choice if you don't want to follow your Citizenship country laws and rules. You should not have any difficulties if you do not go back to your Citizenship Country (except if you need some paperwork linked to this marriage). But if you do you may encounter some small or big difficulties (I don't see any Filipina not coming back to the Philippines from time to time, like you will surely visit Italy from time to time!).

If your case she's in UK with a Student visa and can't file a divorce there as not a resident. So she have to go back to the Philippines.She can surely file and get a divorce in Guam or Las Vegas but will have to travel there. In both case, she will need a US tourist visa (B-1 visa) and as tourist visa it's hard to get for a Filipina (hard but not impossible, just know that 90% are rejected).

So I think, even if I perfertly understand it's a long and difficult process, that the best way for both of you is her to file in court an annulment procedure in the Philippines.
In the middle you can try to request a tourist visa for UK. It's like playing lotto: you pay first and then a few win, most lost.

halfluke
26th January 2007, 15:55
Ok
The situation is perfectly... unclear

Jimbo,
are u an UK citizen right?
where did she file? in UK?
was she resident in UK? With what kind of visa?

Just to know the "alternative" side of the matter... :rolleyes:

halfluke
31st January 2007, 12:16
Well, Jimbo seems to be disappeared.

Anyway, I'm moving to Cebu this June to be close to my g/f as long as possible, possibly until she gets her annulment.
I'll use my savings.
Wish me good luck! :D

A_flyer
31st January 2007, 12:43
Wish me good luck! :D
Good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jimbo
31st January 2007, 21:21
Halfluke

I seem to be locked out of sending you an e-mail or private message via this forum.
The administrators have made it clear that they do not condone this line of action.

Anyway best of luck in whatever course of action you decide on.

Jimbo

halfluke
1st February 2007, 10:06
Halfluke

I seem to be locked out of sending you an e-mail or private message via this forum.
The administrators have made it clear that they do not condone this line of action.

Jimbo

what about halfluke@katamail.com?

KeithD
1st February 2007, 12:40
Now all the SpamBots will be spydering your email :doh

halfluke
1st February 2007, 18:16
Don't worry Win2Win, I already receive so many spams... that's my "spam" e-mail address.
But the problem is: why can't Jimbo send me a private message through the forum?

A_flyer
1st February 2007, 19:24
why can't Jimbo send me a private message through the forum?
I think he needs to have more than 15 or 20 posts in the forum to be able to PM someone.

Anyway, I'm moving to Cebu this June to be close to my g/f as long as possible, possibly until she gets her annulment.
I'll use my savings.
Yes, BUT don't forget than you will have to prove your financial support to be able to get a visa for her. You will need banks statements and payslips... Just have this in mind.

halfluke
1st February 2007, 20:50
My financial support is something for the future.
I'll give up my job to go there, and I'll stay as long as possible living as cheaply as possible.
I asked her whether she wanted my money for an annulment or she wanted my presence, and she chose my presence...
So the future is a big X for both of us.
That's why I asked to wish me good luck :kngt:

KeithD
1st February 2007, 23:08
You really should plan for your future together, not the short term, as we've all waited for our girls, I waited 2 years.

halfluke
2nd February 2007, 00:11
You are right. But we can't stay without each other so long.
I can't... in two years I could be already dead... who knows?

timandjudith
2nd February 2007, 03:40
Hi Halfluke,

I have read all the posts and it seems you are in a tricky position.

All i would say is before you go travelling off to Cebu and living on your savings please read my story on this forum i,m sure keith will put a lik up for it.

While you are living here things can go wrong VERY wrong as i found out, and believe me life here with no money is not good believe me!

If you go make sure you have a return ticket, and dont forget your visa, you can oly stay here 3 weeks legally as a visitor, then you will need to apply for extesions etc.

But whatever you do good luck.

Tim and Judith
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

timandjudith
2nd February 2007, 03:42
P.S sorry for the spelling mistakes, my "n" stopped working on my keyboard :Erm:

annaportugaliza
2nd February 2007, 04:14
Halfluke

Jimbo

jimbo, can i send you email? please! i have the same problem but much more complicated.

empott
2nd February 2007, 04:39
Hello Halfluke, I know im in no position to give advices but if i were u, u better think 10x before coming and living here. My hubby decided to come and live here more than a year ago. He loves my city and the people here. He said everyone's friendly and respectful and its a very safe place to live. I live in a city in the province so things are cheaper than in Manila. But then if u dont have tons of money, its hard for a foreigner to live here. We have a small biz here plus have some savings, but after paying the visa extensions, monthly bills and rent, groceries, food and fast food deliveries (LOL) and other stuff... u will find that ur money is gone after a year. The biz is a big help but it can only pay for ur daily expenses. U have to think of the money for going out of the country too. (U have to leave the country after a year of visa extensions). So before my hubby's money ran out, he went back to UK. And thats our problem now. After living together for almost a year, parting is sooo hard. If its just the airfare, i could have flown there now. But he cant take me easily coz the visa requires his current 6 months of savings and payslips... and he's just back in UK :Brick: The wait seems like forever.:bigcry:

If u come and live here u might find urself in the same predicament like ours. Hope this can help u make up ur mind....

empott
2nd February 2007, 04:51
:doh Ooooops, am i on the wrong thread?:Erm:

tiger@tigress
2nd February 2007, 06:34
Hello Halfluke, I know im in no position to give advices but if i were u, u better think 10x before coming and living here. My hubby decided to come and live here more than a year ago. He loves my city and the people here. He said everyone's friendly and respectful and its a very safe place to live. I live in a city in the province so things are cheaper than in Manila. But then if u dont have tons of money, its hard for a foreigner to live here. We have a small biz here plus have some savings, but after paying the visa extensions, monthly bills and rent, groceries, food and fast food deliveries (LOL) and other stuff... u will find that ur money is gone after a year. The biz is a big help but it can only pay for ur daily expenses. U have to think of the money for going out of the country too. (U have to leave the country after a year of visa extensions). So before my hubby's money ran out, he went back to UK. And thats our problem now. After living together for almost a year, parting is sooo hard. If its just the airfare, i could have flown there now. But he cant take me easily coz the visa requires his current 6 months of savings and payslips... and he's just back in UK :Brick: The wait seems like forever.:bigcry:

If u come and live here u might find urself in the same predicament like ours. Hope this can help u make up ur mind....

yes thats true!

A_flyer
2nd February 2007, 07:12
You are right. But we can't stay without each other so long.
I can't... in two years I could be already dead... who knows?
Well we ALL have the problem to wait her coming several months (or years). I made it in 1 year and a half.
Remember that you MUST meet the requirements for her to get a visa (you need a place in Europe where you live (with proofs) and have/earn enough money (with proofs) to support her).

Some European countries requires you to stay several month or year before applying for a family reunification visa (IE 2 years in France).

So think of all this carefully before you go there (always keep a B plan ready!).

BLOCK also somewhere enough money to come back to Europe (when I say block, you must not use it for anything else than travelling back and settle in a Europan country). Don't be blocked without money in the Philippines, it's very hard to find a job that will make you earn enough money to travel back.

halfluke
2nd February 2007, 07:44
So many people suddenly taking part to this thread! :D

Yes, ladies and gentlemens, I'm not AS crazy as I may look.

I'm planning to stay for 6 months, I'll have a return ticket and some BLOCKED money to use when I'm back to settle again somewhere.

I'm also planning to change job sector when I'm back, and I'm studying for some Microsoft certifications in the meanwhile.

After all, I haven't got a proper career at the moment, and my future would be a big X after June here in UK as well.

I'm going to read Timandjudith's topic now...

Regards and thanks,
halfluke

Jimbo
2nd February 2007, 10:28
I think he needs to have more than 15 or 20 posts in the forum to be able to PM someone.

annaportugaliza

Please ask the moderators to turn on my PM facility.

Jimbo

KeithD
2nd February 2007, 10:46
Remember....if you go there.....you then need to come back and work for 6 months before you can even consider seeing her again, and she can put in a visa app.

Not sure why you are making this complicated. Simple thing to do is sort things out this end, get her a visa, holiday over there for 2 weeks sorting out the papers.....she gets the visa......can be here in a few months, you way it will take well over a year to bring her here. :Erm:

You keep proving you are not thinking straight. If you want to spend 6 months living there, backup with £10,000.

halfluke
2nd February 2007, 11:51
Win2win,

I don't like your accuse of not thinking straight...
I'm keen to accept advices, not judgements.

Furthermore, your suggestion is not practicable, as she still has to BEGIN her annulment procedure, which we all know it takes far more than one year. So she CAN'T be here in a few months as u say maybe forgetting about that "small" detail...

And, sorry to disappoint you, I'm going to live there with no more than £ 200 per month.

fred
2nd February 2007, 12:09
Haven`t you gone yet? :Erm:

Where are you going to put all that money?
People like Tim might suggest not giving it to the mother in law (to be) for safe keeping!!:cwm3:

timandjudith
2nd February 2007, 13:41
LOL :bigcry: yes Fred your right!

Please think about where you are going to keep your money as you will not be able to open a bank account here.

And my number one rule is trust no one here!

Please take it from someone who has been here and got a very worn t shirt! 200 pounds a month is ok if you are only going to eat pure Filipino food, it wont last if you want to use "Shakeys"- Pizza place or KFC because the money just wont last, cola is 35 pesos a bottle and you will drink loads here because of the weather.

Water is 40 pesos for a container etc etc.

Please also look at Empott,s situation i know exactly how they feel, i am thinking of returning too as its very difficult to start a good business here without big capital, i.e 500000-1000000 pesos.

Tim and Judith

halfluke
2nd February 2007, 14:02
I know I cannot open a bank account.

Why do u think I upgraded my British bank account to a [I]Plus[I] one? Coz I can withdraw money from any ATM machine worldwide free of charge :Rasp:

A_flyer
2nd February 2007, 14:38
I know I cannot open a bank account.

Why do u think I upgraded my British bank account to a [i]Plus[i] one? Coz I can withdraw money from any ATM machine worldwide free of charge :Rasp:
Don't dream, it's never free of charge, even if they pretend to they will lower the exchange rate to make you pay...

joebloggs
2nd February 2007, 14:52
good luck halfluke, sounds like your going to go :xxgrinning--00xx3: , your doing what i've been thinking of for years, but my head still rules my heart, i know if me and the wife and kids go, we will be worse off, doctors pay over there is a joke around £200 a month, ive got debts here to pay off, a dog to take care off, and a 2 month old bb. :doh

but soon as we've got enough, like Fred, i b on that plane, sat under a palm tree while me wife works :blacklistlazy:

hehehe :xxgrinning--00xx3:

empott
3rd February 2007, 00:20
And, sorry to disappoint you, I'm going to live there with no more than £ 200 per month.

I live in one of my parents house so that means im rent-free... I live ALONE and live a VERY SIMPLE life ... I'm eating mostly filipino food and usually have dinner in my parents house....and yet 200 pounds (sorry no pound sign in my keyboard) is not enough for my monthly expenses... How much more when my hubby was here?

So think... for a foreigner, visiting for a couple of months is ok but staying here is :NoNo:

Anyway, good luck!

KeithD
3rd February 2007, 10:55
Win2win,

I don't like your accuse of not thinking straight...
I'm keen to accept advices, not judgements.

Furthermore, your suggestion is not practicable, as she still has to BEGIN her annulment procedure, which we all know it takes far more than one year. So she CAN'T be here in a few months as u say maybe forgetting about that "small" detail...

£200 :icon_lol:

I know about the annulment, and if you took the time to read this forum you will know that monay talks in the Philippines, and it can easily be done in much less than a year.

I would have thought sorting out the annulment ASAP, and getting the other half here, was more important than going to live in poverty, and buggering up the visa process in the future. But then....what do I know....and the other giving you advice on here? :doh

halfluke
3rd February 2007, 11:20
I've met people here who live with less than that, and who have the same authority as you to give advices. :devil-smiley-029:

I live in UK with £500, so let's see... :xxanimal-smiley-085

timandjudith
3rd February 2007, 11:37
One other thing to remember, keep some money if you get ill. If you end up in hospital like i did then it will be expensive. I spent 8 days in a hospital that looked like it was bombed and in Iraq not Manila, not nice!:NoNo:

Also dont lose your ATM card as you wont be set another one!

fred
3rd February 2007, 12:00
Halfluke..
Good advice from Tim there!!
Cebu has a great hospital but a little expensive for local budgets.
Don`t drink the water..Only the beer. :NEW1:
When drinking beer from bottle, drink it through closed teeth.
This stops any old cockroaches that were left in the bottle during the "cleaning" process entering your mouth.
Dont worry..P20,000 is plenty.:REGamblMoney01HL1: You`ll be fine..:Hellooo:
Just eat lots of cheap Filipino food like Diniguan and balot.. In your wifes province of Bohol the local delicacy is sea urchin with boiled rice!!
Its a bit mushy in the mouth but the taste is.....(never mind..its cheap)
While I was there we were eating those flying fish(bit like roll mops)raw as a polutan..Luvvly jubblly!!
What type of place have you rented in Cebu?
If you dont mind,how much is your monthly rent there?

halfluke
3rd February 2007, 12:17
I'm just checking private insurances in the Philippines with my g/f.

I'm not going to reply to messages teasing me and the philippines.

I'll just listen to useful informations which can help me in my staying there.

timandjudith
3rd February 2007, 12:20
Dont waste your time. You have to be working to qualify to get sss etc and also most insurances here are a con!

Just save some some money back in case!

halfluke
3rd February 2007, 12:44
That's not true sorry.

My g/f has just asked her insurance company and I can have the same insurance as her.

fred
3rd February 2007, 12:54
Halffluke. I wasn`t teasing man..Honest!!
In regards insurance you have a few options. Most of them will reinburse you after your time spent in a hospital so you will still need cash up front.
Blue cross are popular as are Bupa international and Fil health.

halfluke
3rd February 2007, 13:30
Halfluke..
When drinking beer from bottle, drink it through closed teeth.
This stops any old cockroaches that were left in the bottle during the "cleaning" process entering your mouth.

Whatever... I have already taken my decision.
I'm going.
And this topic should stick to legal matters, which are postponed until the beginning of her annulment procedure.
She's not an average girl: she's 40, educated, working at a high level for the government.
I'm taking my risks, but in a sense I've got less to lose in UK than her in the Philippines.

Regards,
halfluke