PDA

View Full Version : very strange

eula mackay
24th March 2010, 21:28
we went to belgium via calais sunday morning, ferry from dover. i thought it was extremely strange no one checked my passport to see if i have a schengen visa, no immigration officer present in the passport control. on the way back from calais my passport was checked and stamped (uk border contol).

im just wondering now, when i apply for my british citizenship, how can i prove if i get questioned when i left the UK? no one scanned or checked my passport on the way out but i have re-entry stamp?

pennybarry
24th March 2010, 22:14
we went to belgium via calais sunday morning, ferry from dover. i thought it was extremely strange no one checked my passport to see if i have a schengen visa, no immigration officer present in the passport control. on the way back from calais my passport was checked and stamped (uk border contol).

im just wondering now, when i apply for my british citizenship, how can i prove if i get questioned when i left the UK? no one scanned or checked my passport on the way out but i have re-entry stamp?

Been there and they don't really check passport. Holland and France as well.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
But my passport was checked many times in Germany at the buses and german trains.:D

eula mackay
24th March 2010, 22:53
i know within schengen states there are no border control. what im surprised is that my documents were not checked in dover before embarkation. my concern is that there is no proof when i left the uk. in uk airports we dont get stamped on the way out as our passports are scanned.

has anyone used dover port in the past and had the same experience?

Arthur Little
24th March 2010, 23:46
i know within schengen states there are no border control. what im surprised is that my documents were not checked in dover before embarkation. my concern is that there is no proof when i left the uk. in uk airports we dont get stamped on the way out as our passports are scanned.

has anyone used dover port in the past and had the same experience?

It's a longish time since I travelled to France by ferry, so cannot really remember whether my passport was checked or not at Calais. :NoNo: However, I DO know my wife and I had ours scrutinised recently at both St Pancras and Paris ... and vice versa ... prior to boarding Eurostar; moreover, Border Control at the French end, requested Myrna to complete an Immigration Form of some kind for returning to the UK. And it seems she will have to go through this palaver each time we travel to the Continent :rolleyes: [or, at least until she has ILR] ... in order to keep the British Government happy! :doh

Notavirusalso
25th March 2010, 08:39
its just a guess... but mabey the thinking is that anybody that is leaving the uk must be able to get back in legally else they wouldnt be leaving

Dedworth
25th March 2010, 08:53
It is all part of the Labour Governments policy of not wanting to deny the free passage or hinder any terrorist or criminal wishing to leave the country.

joebloggs
25th March 2010, 08:55
its just a guess... but mabey the thinking is that anybody that is leaving the uk must be able to get back in legally else they wouldnt be leaving

true, they don't care who leaves, since the tories and labour scrapped exit checks the gov has no idea who is here :doh

thou they could be re-introduced :rolleyes:

Arthur Little
25th March 2010, 13:49
Fair enough! But it also facilitates opportunities for fugitives from British Justice to leave the country ... in order to avoid prosecution ... and that can't be right, surely! :NoNo:

Dedworth
25th March 2010, 15:07
Fair enough! But it also facilitates opportunities for fugitives from British Justice to leave the country ... in order to avoid prosecution ... and that can't be right, surely! :NoNo:

It's not but it helps with Labour's never ending quest for "equality" ........... law abiders and criminals can leave the country unchecked. What could possibly be wrong with that ? :rolleyes: