PDA

View Full Version : My sister a cancer survivor

Peanutz
9th March 2010, 11:44
Hi everyone,

I just want to share this news to all of you.

My sister a cancer survivor.

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=556095&publicationSubCategoryId=80

A note to Dave House

We are all with you and I hope you all the best! :)

Doc Alan
9th March 2010, 12:15
I just want to share this news to all of you.

My sister a cancer survivor.

I'm glad to know your sister is a cancer survivor and hope you get a better response than my thread on International Women's Day :xxgrinning--00xx3:
March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Former President Corazon Aquino had this type of cancer although it's somewhat commoner in men. It's also the third leading cause of cancer deaths in the Western world (after lung and breast). But survival has improved over the past 40 years because of screening, earlier diagnosis, and better treatment, which could possibly prevent half of future cases :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
9th March 2010, 12:53
we have to take one of our workers to cebu on thursday for his lung biopsy..Im dreading it as I saw the size of his tumor on the CT scan.. This guy is 42 years old and earns 200 Pesos a day with 3 kids to support..The CT scan was 8k and the Biopsy is 12,000 with a bit knocked off by the local senator..
radiation treatment is around 70k per session which means he is already dead!!
Some one told me its possible to remove the left lung completely...Anyone heared of that??

David House
9th March 2010, 13:26
I have heard of people having a lung removed before, but don't know in what circumstances. I suspect it would depend on whether the cancer has already spread as to whether such a radical procedure would be considered.
Thanks for your good wishes. I have just updated my blog for those who want to read my latest news.

Doc Alan
9th March 2010, 18:24
Some one told me its possible to remove the left lung completely...Anyone heared of that??

Yes, I've heard of it. Removal of a lung (pneumonectomy) is possible and usually, but not always, done for cancer. Obviously it depends on there being reasonable certainty that the cancer hasn't spread beyond the lung, on the state of the heart, and how good function is in the opposite lung. It would take at least 2 months to recover from such an operation, with risks of pneumonia or embolism (clot) in the remaining lung, a heart attack, and kidney failure. It's certainly possible to survive with one lung, and indeed both lungs can be removed with replacement transplantation for chronic lung diseases.

Peanutz
11th March 2010, 10:03
Thanks Alan,

My sister has been diagnosed of cancer last September 2008 and last year has been a year of challenges for my family every single day. She has been operated by the guy sat next to her who was the Dean of the hospital where she works.

She did changed her lifestyle after she has been diagnosed and absolutely refrained from eating red meat, sugar and fatty foods

I am glad that she made it...
I know it can come back but a moment of relief is what we needed to get ready and be prepared for the next challenges...

Peanutz
11th March 2010, 10:08
:( All the best for him too Fred.

I feel for his wife and kids...

Maybe we could build some sort of charity to help the family who
will be left behind when...

Any thoughts out there?

LEAHnew
11th March 2010, 12:23
Thanks for sharing Peanutz, your sister is an Inspiration:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
11th March 2010, 13:36
:( All the best for him too Fred.

I feel for his wife and kids...

Maybe we could build some sort of charity to help the family who
will be left behind when...

Any thoughts out there?

Thanks for that thought!! Nice to hear..
We are in Cebu now trying to sort out his biopsy...Thing is he just told us that he doesn't want to go through with it as it will increase his debt to us to a point that he could never repay us...(not a problem my end) I think he is just scared to have it done as the doc told him the smallish risk of his lung collapsing when they stick the needle in..
Not only that but instead of using the correct CT equipment (2 expensive) the doctors will have to be guided by ultrasound which sounds a bit dodgy to me..
The local witch doctor gave him some herbs back in Bohol and he seems to believe they were doing the trick.. Its really sad and the first time I have been involved so closely in such a situation..

Best wishes to your sister from us here..

Doc Alan
11th March 2010, 13:52
Thanks for that thought!! Nice to hear..
We are in Cebu now trying to sort out his biopsy...Thing is he just told us that he doesn't want to go through with it as it will increase his debt to us to a point that he could never repay us...(not a problem my end) I think he is just scared to have it done as the doc told him the smallish risk of his lung collapsing when they stick the needle in..
Not only that but instead of using the correct CT equipment (2 expensive) the doctors will have to be guided by ultrasound which sounds a bit dodgy to me..

Fred, if the tumour is as big as thought on X Ray then location, and avoiding vital structures, by ultrasound will be no problem. Obtaining a biopsy (a few mm length and 1-2 mm diameter ) is all that's needed for accurate microscopic diagnosis. For a start, it's proof that it is cancer (and not some condition like infection or scarring which would be treated differently). Even if the bad news is confirmed, there are various types of cancer requiring appropriate treatment. I'm only sorry that there are additional worries about cost, which here in the UK would usually not be a problem (unless some new drug was needed).

Arthur Little
11th March 2010, 15:33
your sister is an Inspiration:):xxgrinning--00xx3:

She surely IS ... :iagree:! Thanks for sharing her experience with us ... and may she go from strength to strength with the recovery process. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

liane
11th March 2010, 15:49
Good to hear about this great news:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
11th March 2010, 15:57
we have to take one of our workers to cebu on thursday for his lung biopsy..Im dreading it as I saw the size of his tumor on the CT scan.. This guy is 42 years old and earns 200 Pesos a day with 3 kids to support..

:omg: ... not a nice situation, Fred. :NoNo: Poor man ... my heart goes out to him, his wife and young family. I'm sure they're grateful, though, for the unfailing moral and financial support that YOU ... as his friend and employer ... have so generously provided ever since his condition was first diagnosed.

GaryFifer
15th March 2010, 15:17
I am survivor too. Glad to hear it. I just wondered if I can promote awareness of testicular cancer here since I had that. Mens cancer does not seem to get much air time. I just wish instead of breast cancer run, u just have CANCER awareness for everybody. There was a local run for women, but men get forgotten about sometimes.

I was looking for a slogan. How about "check ur balls do not ignore it, like a brick wall":Erm:

Doc Alan
15th March 2010, 20:26
I am survivor too. Glad to hear it. I just wondered if I can promote awareness of testicular cancer here since I had that. Mens cancer does not seem to get much air time.
Glad to know you're a survivor :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Cancer is a more serious problem in men because they may have unhealthy lifestyles and don't like going to the doctor. This is a shame because almost all testicular cancers, and many prostate cancers (the most common type of male cancer in the UK), are curable if treated early.

joebloggs
15th March 2010, 22:57
I just wondered if I can promote awareness of testicular cancer here since I had that. Mens cancer does not seem to get much air time.... but men get forgotten about sometimes.

I was looking for a slogan. How about "check ur balls do not ignore it, like a brick wall":Erm:

Glad to know you're a survivor :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Cancer is a more serious problem in men because they may have unhealthy lifestyles and don't like going to the doctor. This is a shame because almost all testicular cancers, and many prostate cancers (the most common type of male cancer in the UK), are curable if treated early.

ASDA promote/sponsor The Everyman Campaign :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.asda-everyman.co.uk/

GaryFifer
16th March 2010, 13:49
ASDA promote/sponsor The Everyman Campaign :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.asda-everyman.co.uk/

Must have missed that when I was buying my spuds. What counter was that at :icon_lol:

joebloggs
16th March 2010, 14:06
Must have missed that when I was buying my spuds. What counter was that at :icon_lol:

you shouldn't have missed it, its where you pay for your spuds, meat and 2 veg :D

fred
17th March 2010, 08:03
:omg: ... not a nice situation, Fred. :NoNo: Poor man ... my heart goes out to him, his wife and young family. I'm sure they're grateful, though, for the unfailing moral and financial support that YOU ... as his friend and employer ... have so generously provided ever since his condition was first diagnosed.

I just found out that the "herbal remedy" that he has been taking is grape seed oil.. They say that since he has been taking it he no longer coughs blood and can sleep better at night (in a seating position)
Before taking them he could only manage to come to work 2/3 days a week before one of his "attacks"..Now he is in 6 days a week and really looks much better..
The doctor in Cebu said that he looked far too well/healthy considering the mass shown on his CT scan.. He lost a lot of weight but now seems to be putting it back on... The mind boggles!
I just did a quick google search and it looks like the beneficial effects seem to be well known..

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/grape-seed-000254.htm

Cancer
Studies have found that grape seed extracts may prevent the growth of breast, stomach, colon, prostate, and lung cancer cells in test tubes. However, there is no clear evidence yet whether it works in humans. Antioxidants, such as those found in grape seed extract, are thought to reduce the risk of developing cancer. Grape seed extract may also help prevent damage to human liver cells caused by chemotherapy medications. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist before combining antioxidants with any chemotherapy drugs to make sure they interact safely together.

fred
17th March 2010, 08:30
OK after more searches,He will be taking aloe vera pulp (grown here) garlic , green tea and broccoli after reading further medical pages and testimonials..
I`ll let you know how he gets on..
Who knows I might even get some more overtime out of him!

Doc Alan
17th March 2010, 08:41
I just found out that the "herbal remedy" that he has been taking is grape seed oil..
I just did a quick google search and it looks like the beneficial effects seem to be well known..

That's great news Fred, but you haven't actually told us what the diagnosis is ! Maybe you haven't had a chance to read my posts.

fred
17th March 2010, 09:12
That's great news Fred, but you haven't actually told us what the diagnosis is ! Maybe you haven't had a chance to read my posts.

Well Alan as I said he refused to have the biopsy after the doctor explained the risks of his lung collapsing or his heart being hit by the needle etc etc....His wife was not happy about his decision and he even said to her that maybe she wanted him to die earlier than he was supposed to..I certainly did not want to push the matter as if anything did go pear shaped they would probably have blamed me.. I have to respect his decision.
Anyway..He`s back in the jungle now working on my house and just getting on with things..
The doctor did say that it was probably malignant.. 85% probability..

Doc Alan
17th March 2010, 09:53
I have to respect his decision.
Anyway..He`s back in the jungle now working on my house and just getting on with things..
The doctor did say that it was probably malignant.. 85% probability..

Although it's best to have biopsy proof where ANY cancer is suspected, before treatment is started, it's not always possible especially with lung cancer, even in the best hospitals.
The remedies he is taking may not cure him, but I fully agree with you Fred in respecting his decision. He's lucky to have your support :xxgrinning--00xx3:

fred
17th March 2010, 11:51
Alan.. Its just clicked that you might actually be a doctor..I just checked your profile and that was confirmed..
We are really lucky to have you here to advise us from time to time!:xxgrinning--00xx3: Thank you.

Arthur Little
17th March 2010, 13:09
We are really lucky to have you here to advise us from time to time!:xxgrinning--00xx3: Thank you.

:iagree: ... We are indeed ... extremely fortunate ... thanks a million, Alan!

Doc Alan
17th March 2010, 13:55
:iagree: ... We are indeed ... extremely fortunate ... thanks a million, Alan!I've said before that I've learned a great deal from OTHER people's expert knowledge on this forum :xxgrinning--00xx3: