PDA

View Full Version : Question...

Mrs Daddy
1st March 2010, 22:00
Hi yah all folks I hope everybody`s alright in here as for me am getting bigger and bigger and getting tired often.I am on my maternity leave now and before I supposed to start my ML I have to spend my holiday leave first but I was told by my employer that I am not entitled to have a holiday pay that will cover for the whole year instead it covers only from january and february thats when I finish my job.I wonder if she`s right?!:Erm: what you think guys pls enlighten my mind:D Ta!

jta
1st March 2010, 22:53
Hi Mrs Daddy,

As far as I know, holiday entitlement is within April 1 to march 31 then if u plan to have maternity leave u should spend before or after as long as not covered with maternity leave otherwise u lost it. Like mine, I have 7 weeks holiday in 1 year then i will plan to have maternity on august yet, so i booked all 7 weeks before my maternity leave. I don't know exactly if it is compulsory, maybe it depends on each company's policy.

Jamesey
1st March 2010, 23:17
The "holiday year" depends on how your employer runs it. Mine is From Jan to Jan, but often they're from Apr to Apr.

My wife even accrued holiday while she was on maternity leave. I couldn't believe it! So when she returned to work after a year, the first thing she did was take 4 weeks annual leave!!!! But she works for the NHS....

KeithD
2nd March 2010, 09:29
I have no idea! :Erm:

Hope this helps :rolleyes:

RickyR
2nd March 2010, 09:55
Firstly check your contract, see what it states about holiday days. Calculate how many days your are due. And ask your employer whether they can provide you with the holiday days now, or whether they would prefer to offer you a financial alternative in lieu. They will probably offer you the holiday days.
You could even drop into the conversation an imaginary friend who is an employment lawyer who was chatting to you about it, but do it in a sly matter as fact way lol.

If you have any problems, and the days don't tally up with your contract, then come back and we'll try searching for some definitive legal advice on online and look at your next course of action.

RickyR
2nd March 2010, 09:56
P.S You always have the Citizen's Advice Bureau to fall back on, http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Mrs Daddy
2nd March 2010, 10:27
Thanks to you all in my workplace holiday year starts january thats why probably am not entitled to any.

MarBell379
2nd March 2010, 10:57
MrsDaddy - This doesnt sound right. Check out - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Moneyandworkentitlements/WorkAndFamilies/Pregnancyandmaternityrights/DG_175088

In particular, this 'For babies due on or after 5 October 2008 you will build up all your entitlements to paid holiday through all of your Statutory Maternity Leave. This is even if your contract says you are entitled to more than the statutory minimum.

You can add holiday to the beginning or end of your Statutory Maternity Leave. You may not be able to carry over untaken holiday entitlement if your Statutory Maternity Leave goes over two holiday years. It is often best to take this at the beginning of your leave.'

You'll have to work out the numbers, but you DO accrue holiday leave whilst on maternity leave.

IainBusby
2nd March 2010, 14:09
The "holiday year" depends on how your employer runs it. Mine is From Jan to Jan, but often they're from Apr to Apr.

My wife even accrued holiday while she was on maternity leave. I couldn't believe it! So when she returned to work after a year, the first thing she did was take 4 weeks annual leave!!!! But she works for the NHS....

I think this is correct as the holiday year at my place of work runs from the last day of September to the first day of October.

Mrs Daddy
2nd March 2010, 15:02
Hio Marbel am on about my work holiday but am starting my ML pay now.tnx

keithAngel
2nd March 2010, 17:51
Rule of thumb holiday pay at minimums is around 11% so for every 100 days you actually work 11 days hols so if you have worked 40 days in 2 months its about 4.4days

darren-b
2nd March 2010, 18:52
Thanks to you all in my workplace holiday year starts january thats why probably am not entitled to any.

Yes but I believe you should accrue holiday leave even when on maternity.

My wife is starting her maternity leave in April which is when her holiday year starts but her employer is actually paying her about a year's worth of holiday pay.

Mrs Daddy
3rd March 2010, 19:36
tnx darren I think I have overspent my holiday as well last year that`s why im on this situation.tnx!

Mrs Daddy
3rd March 2010, 19:37
Rule of thumb holiday pay at minimums is around 11% so for every 100 days you actually work 11 days hols so if you have worked 40 days in 2 months its about 4.4days

that`s make sense:xxgrinning--00xx3: