PDA

View Full Version : student in uk

gorgeous_lala
22nd February 2010, 02:42
hi.., im a registered nurse and im about to go to uk through student visa in april.., i will be working in care homes. i was wondering if i could use that as an experience to apply in the ONP after a year.., also.., i want to know where i could rent cheap apartments for me to live in..,i will be based on shropshire england.. anybody here who lives there or anywhere near it??? im 21 yrs old and im arriving alone that's why im a bit afraid.., im not even sure if this is a good decision.. pls help me.. tnx in advance.. =)

rusty
22nd February 2010, 09:09
If you dont mind sharing somewhere to live, have a look at http://www.spareroom.co.uk/

It will be cheaper if you are to rent a room rather than a complete apartmant.

keithAngel
22nd February 2010, 09:48
Thats a good site to look , what are you studying?

Doc Alan
22nd February 2010, 09:53
Hi Lala, welcome to the Forum. I guess you already have a student visa but you haven't said what you will be studying.
The ONP (Overseas Nurses Programme) that you mention is run by universities in the UK and you need to complete that to be entered on the NMC (Nursing and
Midwifery Council) Register as a nurse. You also need to have practised as a registered nurse in Philippine hospital(s) for a year. All the requirements are in the NMC booklet "Registering as a nurse or midwife in the United Kingdom for applicants from countries outside the European Economic Area" (19 pages). www.nmc-uk.org
Another website which may be of use is www.pnauk.org.uk (Philippine Nurses Association of UK).

gorgeous_lala
23rd February 2010, 05:29
hi..,
@rusty: tnxalot for the info..

@keithangel: i think im under the NVQ or NQF program

@jackson_alan46: tnx.., but does the exprience have to be in the Philippines? someone told me that the experience in UK could be used to apply in the ONP program.., is it not true??? thanks again...

Doc Alan
23rd February 2010, 07:54
hi..,

@jackson_alan46: tnx.., but does the exprience have to be in the Philippines? someone told me that the experience in UK could be used to apply in the ONP program.., is it not true??? thanks again...

The NMC states "When you apply you must have been practising as a registered nurse or midwife for at least 12 months (full-time or the part-time equivalent) after qualifying." They go on to say "If your application meets our minimum standards, you will have to undertake all or part of the Overseas Nurses Programme." The NMC regulates all nurses and midwives working in the UK. All their "minimum standards" are listed in the booklet I have mentioned before. The NMC continues "The employment climate in the UK is very changeable. We cannot help you find a job..." In other words, even for nurses or midwives registered with the NMC there is no guarantee of a job. The UK Border Agency who issues work permits are also unlikely to do so unless, following advertising, no suitably qualified candidate resident in the UK can be found. www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk
Sorry if all this seems negative, but I don't make the rules, and I'm sure if anyone here on the forum knows anything different, they will tell you :)