PDA

View Full Version : And in Germany......

aromulus
9th February 2010, 08:21
Looks like that as soon as we get a few bob in the pot, we will be going on a European driving holiday...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Joke lang.....:doh

Looks like that the Brits are truly shafted in regard to Schengen Visas for their spouses....:crazy:

You *DO NOT* need a visa for short stays in Germany if you are:

a citizen of the EU/EEA/EFTA
a spouse or child of an EU/EEA/EFTA national if you hold a British "Residence Card of a Family Member of an EEA National" and only if you are travelling together with the EU/EEA/EFTA national. For all other family members please contact the Embassy.
http://www.london.diplo.de/Vertretung/london/en/07/Visa/Do__you__need__a__visa__seite.html

darren-b
9th February 2010, 08:45
This might save you some effort...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

It will be the same for every country that has fully implemented the Schengen agreement as there are no borders between the countries.

In terms of shafting it's really both ways as the Embassies in the UK have to issue a visa to spouses of British citizens and they can't charge for it (so it costs them money...).

Luckily for spouses of British citizens they can apply for British citizenship after only 3 years anyway and leave all of this visa nonsense behind.

MHG
28th February 2010, 17:35
This might save you some effort...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

It will be the same for every country that has fully implemented the Schengen agreement as there are no borders between the countries.

In terms of shafting it's really both ways as the Embassies in the UK have to issue a visa to spouses of British citizens and they can't charge for it (so it costs them money...).

Luckily for spouses of British citizens they can apply for British citizenship after only 3 years anyway and leave all of this visa nonsense behind.

Unfortunately it doesnīt work in the opposite direction ...
We went through the pain of getting a visa for the UK for my wife ...
Thereīs no such thing like a UK-visa exemption for spouses of Schengen-Country citizens.
Only the visa fee is waived.
Here in Germany foreign citizens - even with permanent residence status do not get a separate residence card (does not exist here).
Only few Schengen countries may have such an ID (e.g.: France / called "Carte de Sejour")

Also i donīt understand why entry (to the UK as well as in the opposite direction to Schengen countries is limited to travelling with their "EU-spouse" only)

MHG
28th February 2010, 17:42
Edit: Just quoted the wrong post and found out thereīs no possibility to edit my post ...

My comment was related to the posting of "aromulus" !

Jurgen

Unfortunately it doesnīt work in the opposite direction ...
We went through the pain of getting a visa for the UK for my wife ...
Thereīs no such thing like a UK-visa exemption for spouses of Schengen-Country citizens.
Only the visa fee is waived.
Here in Germany foreign citizens - even with permanent residence status do not get a separate residence card (does not exist here).
Only few Schengen countries may have such an ID (e.g.: France / called "Carte de Sejour")

Also i donīt understand why entry (to the UK as well as in the opposite direction to Schengen countries is limited to travelling with their "EU-spouse" only)

somebody
28th February 2010, 18:18
Schgen once you have the visa which as long as you read the rules cost nothing apart from possibly a trip to a town centre (depending on where you are) which the Wife never complained about due to shops and resturants:D

The Wife also traveled on her schgen alone and had no problems..

johncar54
28th February 2010, 18:37
I would like to see a facility so that my wife (permanently resident in Spain, thus can live, work, buy property in any Schengen country) can visit UK without us having to go to Madrid, pay 100 euros, up to an hours interview, an over night stay as its a two day process and all for a ONE visit visa. If we want to go shopping in Gibraltar, its the same process but costs 150 euros.