PDA

View Full Version : Leaving date?!

DaveUK
7th February 2010, 19:29
Myself and Yam are currently in the process of completing the spouse visa application online.

As a lot of you will already know, Yam is asked when she expects to arrive in the UK. Of course, we'll put some date in the near future, but the bit we're stumped at though, is the question (that you seemingly must answer!), about when she plans on leaving the UK!!

Should Yam just put a date 2 years after her arrival date as technically that is the longest she can be in the country on a spouse visa? Or should she put something else like a stupid year way way into the future?

rusty
7th February 2010, 20:12
Are you sure you are looking at the correct application form?

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/resources/en/docs/1903073/vaf4a is for settlement and I can't find any mention of a leaving date.

DaveUK
7th February 2010, 20:14
Well, I have a hard copy of the form you've linked to, but I'm filling in the online application which to be honest, to me, is a lot less "user-friendly" in my mind!

estherboaz
7th February 2010, 20:49
what i put was "when visa expires".

darren-b
7th February 2010, 21:05
If it's a freeform field I would put something on the lines of that she would have no plans to leave the UK for the foreseeable future.

DaveUK
7th February 2010, 21:07
If it's a freeform field I would put something on the lines of that she would have no plans to leave the UK for the foreseeable future.

No unfortunately it's not freeform. You either give a date, or you can't continue with the app.

darren-b
7th February 2010, 21:17
No unfortunately it's not freeform. You either give a date, or you can't continue with the app.

I'd go for some date way way in the future then.

IainBusby
8th February 2010, 13:01
I just had to look at it on online. Seems like the best date to put in would be the same day/month as her expected arrival date but put 2012 for the year. It seems like they have basically the same online form for every category of visa.

darren-b
8th February 2010, 13:37
I just had to look at it on online. Seems like the best date to put in would be the same day/month as her expected arrival date but put 2012 for the year. It seems like they have basically the same online form for every category of visa.

That would suggest to me that she was planning to leave the UK and not settle here.

Arthur Little
8th February 2010, 13:56
TBH ... I think :rolleyes: it's a lot less hassle getting hold of an ACTUAL Application Form ... and completing it in INK ... the way it's always been done in the past ... that's what WE did! But then, I'M an :olddude:

IainBusby
8th February 2010, 14:59
That would suggest to me that she was planning to leave the UK and not settle here.

Well the obvious answer in N/A but the answer has to be in date form and leaving it blank is not an option so as the visa is for 2 years I don't know what else she should put there. In the end it's a settlement visa so she won't be expected to go home on that date just because that's what she put on the application form. As Arthur says, maybe it would be better to download the settlement visa form and fill it in by hand, it doesn't ask for a return date on that form.

I'm surprised this question hasn't come up before unless they have recently changed the online form, because the online application has been the way to go for some time now.

darren-b
8th February 2010, 16:41
Well the obvious answer in N/A but the answer has to be in date form and leaving it blank is not an option so as the visa is for 2 years I don't know what else she should put there. In the end it's a settlement visa so she won't be expected to go home on that date just because that's what she put on the application form. As Arthur says, maybe it would be better to download the settlement visa form and fill it in by hand, it doesn't ask for a return date on that form.

I'm surprised this question hasn't come up before unless they have recently changed the online form, because the online application has been the way to go for some time now.

As it is a stupid question in this case I would have thought it would be better to put a stupid answer rather than put a date which could actually be a real answer. Assuming there is a freeform comments part later in the form could always make a note about the answer.

IainBusby
8th February 2010, 17:06
As it is a stupid question in this case I would have thought it would be better to put a stupid answer rather than put a date which could actually be a real answer. Assuming there is a freeform comments part later in the form could always make a note about the answer.

You have to enter a date in dd/mm/yyyy format, if you don't, it won't let you continue to the next page.

darren-b
8th February 2010, 19:00
You have to enter a date in dd/mm/yyyy format, if you don't, it won't let you continue to the next page.

I meant to put something like 01/01/3000 - a date which is obviously not correct.