PDA

View Full Version : Need help about physiotherapy

5th February 2010, 21:36
I am a PT graduate in the Philippines (under licensed), currently in UK, I was hoping some one could help me with some questions regarding this matter. I don't know where to start the process I wanted to work as a Physio here in UK but have no clue where to start. Should I take the IELTS first then adaptation or vice versa? And if so, where can I find a place for my adaptation, are they accepting under licensed PT grad? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

Arthur Little
6th February 2010, 00:22
I am a PT graduate in the Philippines (under licensed), currently in UK, I was hoping some one could help me with some questions regarding this matter. I don't know where to start the process I wanted to work as a Physio here in UK but have no clue where to start. Should I take the IELTS first then adaptation or vice versa? And if so, where can I find a place for my adaptation, are they accepting under licensed PT grad? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you in advance :)

:welcomex: to the forum.

Although I'M not a Careers Adviser, I would suggest the following links:

Contact:- Liz Carrington [International Development Advisor]
email address: carringtone@csphysio.org.uk OR

Enquiries:- enquiries@csp.org.uk OR

OR, alternatvely, write to:

The Chartered Society of Physiotherapy
14 Bedford Row
LONDON
WC1R 4ED

Hope this information helps ... Good Luck! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
6th February 2010, 10:44
Welcome to the Forum :)
Arthur has given you a useful link for up to date information. The last I heard was not good news:omg:
Physiotherapy students from this country are graduating to discover that there are not enough jobs available. NHS trusts are freezing posts to save money. This is wrong because maybe 1 in 10 hospital admissions need physiotherapy, which could actually shorten their stay in hospital :doh So, while wishing you luck in your search, you may have to find other work in the meantime just like our own graduates :xxgrinning--00xx3:

6th February 2010, 16:27
Thank you Arthur for the information you had given me it's highly appreciated God bless! keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work well. :)

6th February 2010, 16:29

14 Bedford Row
LONDON
WC1R 4ED

Thank you Arthur for the information you had given me it's highly appreciated God bless! keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work well. :)

6th February 2010, 16:31
Arthur has given you a useful link for up to date information. The last I heard was not good news:omg:
Physiotherapy students from this country are graduating to discover that there are not enough jobs available. NHS trusts are freezing posts to save money. This is wrong because maybe 1 in 10 hospital admissions need physiotherapy, which could actually shorten their stay in hospital :doh So, while wishing you luck in your search, you may have to find other work in the meantime just like our own graduates :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Thank you so much Jackson for that info and advice, it will be useful God bless.

6th February 2010, 16:31

14 Bedford Row
LONDON
WC1R 4ED

Thank you Arthur for the information you had given me it's highly appreciated God bless! keeping my fingers crossed that everything will work well.

6th February 2010, 16:33

thank you so much Jackson for the info it'll be useful as well God bless :)

6th February 2010, 16:38
thank you Arthur and Mr. jackson for the useful information God bless you both :)

Doc Alan
8th February 2010, 04:26
We wish you good luck :)
It would be really helpful to know if the information we gave you was useful:xxgrinning--00xx3:
If you could remember to let us know here on the Forum how you get on, maybe give advice for others, that would be so helpful , thanks !

Juana
12th March 2010, 02:43
Im not sure if you've already found out but PTs in the UK are regulated by the Health Professions Council (HPC). Im not a PT but Im registered with HPC. You would want to get onto the register to practice as a PT in the UK.
Yes, one of the requirements for registration is to take an English proficiency test and one of them is IELTS. Just take a look at the website. They have the details that you need. You may have already found out about this but if not and unsure of things, I'd be glad to assist.

Doc Alan
12th March 2010, 03:25
... I'd be glad to assist.
I did ask "9579" to let us know how she got on and I'm sure you would be of help to her but she hasn't so far updated us.

25th March 2010, 16:55
Im not sure if you've already found out but PTs in the UK are regulated by the Health Professions Council (HPC). Im not a PT but Im registered with HPC. You would want to get onto the register to practice as a PT in the UK.
Yes, one of the requirements for registration is to take an English proficiency test and one of them is IELTS. Just take a look at the website. They have the details that you need. You may have already found out about this but if not and unsure of things, I'd be glad to assist.

Sorry I haven't been in the forum for awhile ,thank you so much for the info, the thing is our visa status is being process currently by the home office for extension, my husband is a student visa and I am a dependent the result will be known on the first week of july. But as soon as we get our extension I will seek for your assistance. Also extending my thanks to Mr. Alan Jackson God bless both of you :)

RickyR
25th March 2010, 17:13
Marvie is also a PT Graduate and is in the process of seeing what her qualifications are worth in the UK and whether she can register. Her first step has been to get a Statement of Comparability from NARIC www.naric.org.uk. I will post further details on how she gets on.

Doc Alan
25th March 2010, 17:54
Thanks Ricky and 9579 for keeping us posted, good luck also to Marvie :)

RickyR
2nd April 2010, 22:33
OK. So the latest development is that NARIC have reviewed Marvies Qualifications:

Title of Award: Bachelor of Science in Physical Therapy
Awarding Institute: World Citi College (Quezon City Medical Centre & Colleges)

Assessment: is considered compararable to BTEC / SQA Higher National Diploma (HND) Standard / Foundation Degree Standard

We still have to discover what these means to the HPC Council, but normally a HND/Foundation Degree will allow you to receive 2 years dispensation from a BSc Degree.
In the meantime Marvie is studying for her IELTS.

joebloggs
2nd April 2010, 22:42
how many years was marvies degree course 4yrs ?

which IELTS is she taking ? academic one ?

RickyR
3rd April 2010, 10:12
Hi Joe, yes she's taking the academic. She just bought the study kit from Cambridge Bookshop online (only 10 quid). I think it's a little bit more difficult than she expected.

As for the degree, yes it was a 4 year course.