PDA

View Full Version : no references

pumpkins
3rd February 2010, 18:58
helloo guys especially to those filipina wife who can share their experiences on how they managed to get a job here in the UK. Can anyone share to me please?
I have been applying job online but i dont have references to put. u cannot complete the form without it, i dont know anyone here. so what i did in the form was i put my husband as my references just to complete the form.you will provide two so i put him there twice. I think that was the reason why my application unsuccesful. i got email from 3 companies i have been applied to, they all said unsuccesful.:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:
I really want to have a work coz i have been here for 2 months now , i want to give some contributions to my husband.
and does anyone know what website i can sign up for searching a job?

thank you all.. cheers:)

pennybarry
3rd February 2010, 19:08
helloo guys especially to those filipina wife who can share their experiences on how they managed to get a job here in the UK. Can anyone share to me please?
I have been applying job online but i dont have references to put. u cannot complete the form without it, i dont know anyone here. so what i did in the form was i put my husband as my references just to complete the form.you will provide two so i put him there twice. I think that was the reason why my application unsuccesful. i got email from 3 companies i have been applied to, they all said unsuccesful.:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:
I really want to have a work coz i have been here for 2 months now , i want to give some contributions to my husband.

Try Jobcentreplus website, buy local newspapers and knock the door of the small business owners near you. Ask them if they have vacancy for you.
Search engine on what is the nearest carehomes to your place.:D
Goodluck!
Patience and perserverance:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ann07
3rd February 2010, 19:34
you can try your previous employer back home or your husband's friends. In my case i used my parish priest here in our local town church and my husband's friend. And i used them for my citizenship application now :)

goodluck to you my dear hope you will get a call soon:)

joebloggs
3rd February 2010, 19:46
get a couple of references from the phils, from an old teacher, ex-employer, someone who can vouch for you.

just write something like this and email it to your family/friend, who can get the person who you wish to act as a reference to get them to print it on headed paper with their contact details (name, address, email address, telephone number) , ask them to sign it and send it back to you..

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

This is to certify that I have known (your name) for xx years, and found her to be honest, sincere reliable and hard working. She consistently display qualities of conscientiousness in her (studies or work) and responsibilities.

With these qualities i am pleased to endorse (your name)'s application. Any assistance extended to her would be highly appreciated.

yours sincerely

my misses had the same problem, she got a reference from the dean of the med school she went to in the phils and another from a businessman we know in the UK.

good luck :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
3rd February 2010, 20:15
get a couple of references from the phils, from an old teacher, ex-employer, someone who can vouch for you.

just write something like this and email it to your family/friend, who can get the person who you wish to act as a reference to get them to print it on headed paper with their contact details (name, address, email address, telephone number) , ask them to sign it and send it back to you..

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

This is to certify that I have known (your name) for xx years, and found her to be honest, sincere reliable and hard working. She consistently display qualities of conscientiousness in her (studies or work) and responsibilities.

With these qualities i am pleased to endorse (your name)'s application. Any assistance extended to her would be highly appreciated.

yours sincerely

my misses had the same problem, she got a reference from the dean of the med school she went to in the phils and another from a businessman we know in the UK.

Pumpkins has raised a very :gp: here ... and MY wife and I had been wondering the SAME thing! :rolleyes: But thanks to Joe's *response [*which, I must admit, hadn't occurred to me before ... but with which :iagree: ] the way ahead is now clearer ... !

Bluebirdjones
3rd February 2010, 21:37
Most companies will not ask for a reference when u apply for a job... only when they offer it to you.
It is quite sufficient to put on your CV
"References available upon request".

In the case of Filipinas looking for their first job here, I echo Joe Blogg's comments.
Get a former employer (or colleague) in the Philippines to send u an e-mail, stating what u did,
your work record etc... and u can attach that when required.
Also, get someone here (friend, holy joe, doctor etc) to give u a CHARACTER reference.
Finally, try & do some Charity / Volunteer work ...... and again get a character/work reference
from them.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ann07
3rd February 2010, 21:44

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

yours sincerely

well said there Joe:) thats exactly what i did i asked my former director and principal to make a recommendation letter for me and i brought it here with me:)

rainmaker
3rd February 2010, 23:38

dont be discourage keep on applying. i had the same predicament as yours when i came here five years ago.

First thing to do is to ask your self what kind of job would you like.If you are thinking of a job which you had back in the Phil.(your profession in Phil.),you might find it dificult to apply for that job coz most of them will be looking for UK work experience. Your work experience in Pinas has no merit. If you really want to practice your profession here in UK, my advice is to study again here while working if you can manage.

But If you want a job right away the best thing to do is to go to a recruitment agency, then look for jobs which you think you can do. some of my friends work in factories, some in warehouse, some in restaurant, etc., you can do part time or full time job, whichever you prefer.

hope this help

Arthur Little
4th February 2010, 00:23
Most companies will not ask for a reference when u apply for a job... only when they offer it to you.

You're right, Marc :rolleyes: ... up to a point! But, there again, MOST ask [at the outset] for the names, addresses and [often - but not always] telephone numbers of [usually] two persons to whom reference may be made. Generally, however, referees ARE only contacted once an appointment is offered.

It is quite sufficient to put on your CV
"References available upon request".:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Again it's [usually] perfectly acceptable ... :iagree: ... especially if an applicant is still undecided about the person(s) he/she wishes to nominate as referees, but wishes his/her form to arrive on the prospective employer's "desk" before the deadline date for receipt of applications.

Arthur Little
4th February 2010, 00:36
If you are thinking of a job which you had back in the Phil.(your profession in Phil.),you might find it dificult to apply for that job coz most of them will be looking for UK work experience. Your work experience in Pinas has no merit. If you really want to practice your profession here in UK, my advice is to study again here while working if you can manage.

So it would APPEAR ... most notably, in the likes of the Medical and/or Teaching Professions, as Joe Bloggs and myself will both testify!! :doh

pumpkins
4th February 2010, 01:11
most of the companies / recruitment agencies preferred to have references with a UK address, its really so hard to think how you can manage to supply them when you just new here in the UK.

i think it is more easier to do some charity / volunteer work as what bluebirdjones said and get character reference from them
or unless there is fellow filipina here who can be one of my character reference:D if that is possible and if it is that ok:D:D:D.. please :Help1: anyone
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

Arthur Little
4th February 2010, 01:34
most of the companies / recruitment agencies preferred to have references with a UK address, its really so hard to think how you can manage to supply them when you just new here in the UK.

That's very true ... :iagree:

i think it is more easier to do some *charity / volunteer work as what bluebirdjones said and get character reference from them
or **unless there is fellow filipina here who can be one of my character reference:D if that is possible and if it is that ok:D:D:D.. please :Help1: anyone
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry:

A *good :idea: ... for a start, at least! Doubt if the **alternative you suggest is, though :NoNo: ... because THEY'RE unlikely to know you well enough.

pumpkins
4th February 2010, 01:54
That's very true ... :iagree:

A *good :idea: ... for a start, at least! Doubt if the **alternative you suggest is, though :NoNo: ... because THEY'RE unlikely to know you well enough.

yes you are right arthur.:)
so i think i search for charity/ volunteer work now

thanks for all your replies guys:):):)
you are always there to help:):):)