PDA

View Full Version : legal marraige?

sparky
15th January 2010, 21:36
i got married recently in the Philippines and we are now awaiting the NSO paperwork to come thru.

one question i have is

is the marraige legal in the UK or does it have to be registered somewhere?

Arthur Little
15th January 2010, 23:10
i got married recently in the Philippines and we are now awaiting the NSO paperwork to come thru.

one question i have is

is the marraige legal in the UK or does it have to be registered somewhere?

Yes, a marriage contracted in the Phils is recognised for legal purposes in the *UK ... and, I should imagine, :rolleyes: in [most] other countries as well. Whether you decide to register it *HERE at home, is, I believe, optional. MY wife and I, for instance, were married in Compostela Valley Province 13 months ago ... but haven't, as yet, registered the union in my home town of Perth, Scotland.

Congratulations on YOUR recent wedding :wedtoss: ... and Best Wishes for the future!

joebloggs
16th January 2010, 11:06
If you got married in another country and your marriage is legally valid in the country where it was performed, it is recognised as a legal marriage in the UK too.

If you married abroad it’s wise to check that your marriage was officially registered in that country. In many countries you need to have civil registration in addition to a religious ceremony for a marriage to be legally recognised, sometimes marriages conducted in other countries aren’t recognised in the UK.

sparky
16th January 2010, 22:00
If you got married in another country and your marriage is legally valid in the country where it was performed, it is recognised as a legal marriage in the UK too.

If you married abroad it’s wise to check that your marriage was officially registered in that country. In many countries you need to have civil registration in addition to a religious ceremony for a marriage to be legally recognised, sometimes marriages conducted in other countries aren’t recognised in the UK.

just waiting for the NSO paperwork to come thru now so that we can get the visa process underway.

they say it can take up to 45 days but it seems like a lifetime.

we have planned for Myrna to be here for my birthday towards the end of march but who knows:Erm:

joebloggs
16th January 2010, 22:29
just waiting for the NSO paperwork to come thru now so that we can get the visa process underway.

they say it can take up to 45 days but it seems like a lifetime.

we have planned for Myrna to be here for my birthday towards the end of march but who knows:Erm:

once you get your NSO marriage cert you know your definitely wed :xxgrinning--00xx3: or :cwm24:

A judge, a minister, or other person authorized by the Philippine Government can perform the marriage. But make sure the one who performs the ceremony is truly authorized, as there have been some rare cases in the past where they were not authorised and so the marriage will not be legal, so be careful of using fixers and scammers :NoNo:

justchecking
17th January 2010, 22:11
Good luck with getting the NSO paperwork through - it can take longer than 45 days...mine was just over 3 months and I've recently seen others who have just experienced the same......
Good luck with the visa app too