PDA

View Full Version : Applying for ILR, need some help.

thejarvs
11th January 2010, 14:40
My visa will be expired on dec 2010,(i know its still far) i will need to apply for my ILR:( this thing is depressing me:( The things that's bothering me are, first the Esol thingy, how will i know if my english is so bad that i will need to do the esol? i mean does my english need to be really fluent? Then the test, its just that i am scared that i wont be able to pass it. i find reading really boring. but i have to read the book. Also, when do i need to take the test? can i take the test alot earlier? say i will take the test this march? is that gonna be alright? just need some advice:( Thanks

estherboaz
11th January 2010, 16:38
My visa will be expired on dec 2010,(i know its still far) i will need to apply for my ILR:( this thing is depressing me:( The things that's bothering me are, first the Esol thingy, how will i know if my english is so bad that i will need to do the esol? i mean does my english need to be really fluent? Then the test, its just that i am scared that i wont be able to pass it. i find reading really boring. but i have to read the book. Also, when do i need to take the test? can i take the test alot earlier? say i will take the test this march? is that gonna be alright? just need some advice:( Thanks

you must demonstrate a good knowledge of language and life in the UK before you apply for settlement. Most applicants will need to do this by:

■passing the 'Life in the UK' test, if they speak English to a reasonable standard; or
■taking and passing a course in English and citizenship, if they do not speak English.

If you do not know the level of your English skills, you should work through the tutorial on the Life in the UK test website. If you cannot fully understand the information in that tutorial, you may need to take an ESOL course containing citizenship materials.

ESOL courses
If English is not your main language, you can take a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL).

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can study ESOL at the three entry levels:

■ESOL Entry 1 (lowest)
■ESOL Entry 2
■ESOL Entry 3 (highest)
In Scotland, you can study ESOL at the following three levels:

■Access 2
■Access 3
■Intermediate 1
If you are an English speaker - the Life in the UK test
If your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry 3 level or Scottish Intermediate 1 level, you will need to pass the Life in the UK test before you apply for settlement. This test consists of 24 multiple-choice questions, based on the information in the handbook 'Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship' (ISBN: 9780113413133).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/

If you are unsure about whether you need to take the test, you can contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766. (http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/background_10.html)

pocahontas
12th January 2010, 00:09
you must demonstrate a good knowledge of language and life in the UK before you apply for settlement. Most applicants will need to do this by:

■passing the 'Life in the UK' test, if they speak English to a reasonable standard; or
■taking and passing a course in English and citizenship, if they do not speak English.

If you do not know the level of your English skills, you should work through the tutorial on the Life in the UK test website. If you cannot fully understand the information in that tutorial, you may need to take an ESOL course containing citizenship materials.

ESOL courses
If English is not your main language, you can take a course in English for speakers of other languages (ESOL).

In England, Wales and Northern Ireland, you can study ESOL at the three entry levels:

■ESOL Entry 1 (lowest)
■ESOL Entry 2
■ESOL Entry 3 (highest)
In Scotland, you can study ESOL at the following three levels:

■Access 2
■Access 3
■Intermediate 1
If you are an English speaker - the Life in the UK test
If your English skills are at or above ESOL Entry 3 level or Scottish Intermediate 1 level, you will need to pass the Life in the UK test before you apply for settlement. This test consists of 24 multiple-choice questions, based on the information in the handbook 'Life in the UK: A Journey to Citizenship' (ISBN: 9780113413133).

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settlement/knowledge-language-life/demonstrating/

If you are unsure about whether you need to take the test, you can contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0870 606 7766. (http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/background_10.html)

hm..sounds lot to do but need to be done.. i will worry this thing after my passport renewal..but glad that i already have idea thanks for this post..hehe:D

pocahontas
12th January 2010, 00:12

hello there..nag post kana ha to seek advice just like me..hehe:D well me and hubby already searched in internet what to do before my post but just wanna make sure. and dont you worry..your english is fine..im confident that we will passed and get through with it..you just need to concentrate what you need to do..:Erm::D

joebloggs
12th January 2010, 09:07

try pass the test, you've got lots of time to pass, my wife and stepson passed first time with only a couple of weeks of studying,

get your husband to help you, take free online ones, yes take it asap , if you fail book the test again,

or do a esol course, but that could take a long time

if by dec you've not passed you can apply for a further 2yrs FLR instead of ILR, but if i was you i would take the test, i'm sure you can pass it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

adam&chryss
12th January 2010, 12:31

Don't worry too much sis... My visa will expire next year april. But I'm thinking to take my test soonish maybe in 2months now. When you pass the test, no need for ESOL chuva lolz! (correct me if I'm wrong)
Yeah reading is really boring, especially if you're not interested on what you are reading. I haven't start reading mine yet :D
We will be fine, so don't worry too much ;)
Goodluck! xxx

thejarvs
12th January 2010, 12:39
thanks guys, these are veryhelpful information. i do prefer to apply for ILR, coz visa is not the cheapiest thing in the world. i'de rather use the money to go back to phil to visit:) i've done some research already, lots of them hehehe. but its just nice to get some proper info from the people thats already been through what i am going to go through. its like short cut. internet gives you lots of unnecessary informations:(i hope i wont failed to pass the test for so manny times. that would be so embarassing:(

thejarvs
12th January 2010, 12:42
lol Chris:) it makes me think i sound so stupid really. but this ILR is very important and i could not fail my son and my husband.