PDA

View Full Version : New Rules from April 2007 on ILR (Permanent Residency)

ginapeterb
13th December 2006, 11:05
New Rules for those requiring Indefinate leae to remain from April 2007

The Immigration and Nationality Directorate plans to release new rules for people wishing to make the United Kingdom their home. The new rules will require applicants to show that they have a sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK in order to qualify for settlement.

Since November 2005, applicants for citizenship have been required to take the "Life in the UK" test, and now the government wants to extend that requirement to people requesting permanent residence. They hope this will encourage people to learn the English language and to find out about UK structures, laws, democratic processes and traditions at the earliest opportunity. They believe this will help them to better realize their ambitions and become full and active citizens.

There are two ways to go through the process:

• If you are at or above ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Entry 3, you can take a specially developed test called "Life in the UK Test".

• If you have not achieved ESOL Entry 3, you will need to get this qualification through attending an ESOL course at a local college.

The new rules are only required for applicants aged 18-65. A person may also be exempt if they have a mental or physical impairment that prevents them from taking the test or studying an ESOL course. People with permanent residence status who want to go through the citizenship process will not have to repeat the test if they have already taken it during their settlement requirements.

We have more detailed information about the Life in the UK Test, which we will be updating as needed.

These new rules will affect those who are in UK on 2 year marriage visa's when wishing to apply for permanent residency, they will also have to sit the "Life in the UK test".

Here is the link

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_12_07/uk/new_rules_for_indefinite_stay.htm

robeth
13th December 2006, 12:40
New Rules for those requiring Indefinate leae to remain from April 2007

The Immigration and Nationality Directorate plans to release new rules for people wishing to make the United Kingdom their home. The new rules will require applicants to show that they have a sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK in order to qualify for settlement.

Since November 2005, applicants for citizenship have been required to take the "Life in the UK" test, and now the government wants to extend that requirement to people requesting permanent residence. They hope this will encourage people to learn the English language and to find out about UK structures, laws, democratic processes and traditions at the earliest opportunity. They believe this will help them to better realize their ambitions and become full and active citizens.

There are two ways to go through the process:

• If you are at or above ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) Entry 3, you can take a specially developed test called "Life in the UK Test".

• If you have not achieved ESOL Entry 3, you will need to get this qualification through attending an ESOL course at a local college.

The new rules are only required for applicants aged 18-65. A person may also be exempt if they have a mental or physical impairment that prevents them from taking the test or studying an ESOL course. People with permanent residence status who want to go through the citizenship process will not have to repeat the test if they have already taken it during their settlement requirements.

We have more detailed information about the Life in the UK Test, which we will be updating as needed.

These new rules will affect those who are in UK on 2 year marriage visa's when wishing to apply for permanent residency, they will also have to sit the "Life in the UK test".

Here is the link

http://www.workpermit.com/news/2006_12_07/uk/new_rules_for_indefinite_stay.htm

thanks for the very informative update Pete and would like to ask if ESOL and IELTS (International English Language Testing System) are the same?

thanks again

walesrob
13th December 2006, 13:01
Hmm, I'm a little confused here. Elsa's 2 year Spouse Visa is up for ILR conversion in February, so where does this test fit in?

ginapeterb
15th December 2006, 15:10
Rob, I sent you a Pim about this, but youre ok, as Elsa's is up for permanent residency, you will escape this extra set of regulation, but we will not, hence I ordered the books from Amazon and they arrived for Gina today, she is already reading it, the test is taken from Chapters 2 3 4 of the book, I am building a webpage on my site this week for interested readers who will want to know how to get this done, the Life in the UK test will have to be taken at local libraries, although the details are on the Life in the UK Test website.
Oh well I guess there are going to be a few worried readers again, another set of bureaucracy to go through, lucky Elsa, who doesnt have to do it. hahahahahah

walesrob
15th December 2006, 16:31
Ok, it makes sense now, but still Elsa will have to take the test when she applies for the British passport in February 2008.

andypaul
15th December 2006, 20:13
From a quick read and lookround the ilets website. in the ilets handbook download it has a comprasion table.

Which has ESOL entry level 3 as a 3.5,4.0,4.5 pass at ilets i presume general.
This is a fairly low level of english for a Flipina who has been brought up with english as second language (maybe taught in the language like my wife was at school and uni) and now converses in it daily in the UK.

The ielts exam i seem to remeber is valid for two years, a period of time which would have been exceeded by my wife since she took the test in Manila in 05.

But hopefully my wife can take the exam early so its still valid and just show the pass certificate when needed. That or she can prove she has a certificate and her skills if anything have improved via a simple test.

Looks like we will be getting the book which i heard is only 69 pages or so long (so hopefully not to much to remeber/learn) and from a sample of questions in the metro newspaper most will find quite simple and logical as its a multiple choice exam i belive.

One issue i can see being a problem is actually booking a exam date as i can imagine they will be a great demand, lack of funding and chaos as one expects of the UK Goverment and its policys (lab or con just to keep the poltics out of it)

I would suggest that peeps needing to take this exam should look into ensuring they satisfiy the English qualfication asap as i have seen reports that esol courses are being swamped by the huge numbers of forigen workers moving here.
It would be far easier imho to just revise at home and take an exam like my wife did.

baboyako
15th December 2006, 21:02
Im glad I dont need to speak bysian when I settle in da phil :Hellooo::Rasp::Hellooo::Rasp::Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::cwm3::Hellooo::Rasp::Hellooo:

KeithD
16th December 2006, 09:48
Ok, it makes sense now, but still Elsa will have to take the test when she applies for the British passport in February 2008.
Surely with Welsh being the national language of your country Rob, Elsa needs to learn that? :Erm:

walesrob
16th December 2006, 10:16
Surely with Welsh being the national language of your country Rob, Elsa needs to learn that? :Erm:

Dim Keith, dim. :icon_lol:

KeithD
16th December 2006, 11:37
Plaid Cymru will have your testicles for such heretic talk Rob :D

ginapeterb
16th December 2006, 12:17
I did note in the Life in the UK Test handbook that their are questions on the Welsh Assembly Rob..hehehehehehe and yes you are right, Elsa will have to sit the exam before being naturalized.

walesrob
16th December 2006, 12:47
their are questions on the Welsh Assembly Rob..

Q43. Is the Welsh Assembly a waste of time, rescources and tax payers money, and are Assembly Members useless.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

:butthead:

KeithD
16th December 2006, 13:48
Q43. Is the Welsh Assembly a waste of time, rescources and tax payers money, and are Assembly Members useless.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

:butthead:

Patriotic to the end eh Rob? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

walesrob
16th December 2006, 14:17
Patriotic to the end eh Rob? :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh yes :)

russ01539
16th December 2006, 19:12
Thanks for the info Pete. I'll be reading your webpage on this when it's finished. We will be in the position where Wena will have to take that test when she applies for her ILR in October next year. Keep us posted please.

darren-b
19th December 2006, 10:17
Hi Pete,

What version of the life in the UK book is Gina studying?

As the faq from http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/newsarchive/introductionofnewrules says

"The test consists of 24 questions based on the information contained in the handbook "Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship”. The handbook was originally published in December 2004 and a revised handbook is due to be published in early 2007. You need to make sure you read the correct edition of the handbook, which will vary depending on when you take your test. If you are taking the test on or after 2 April you must study the second edition of the handbook."

The second edition is listed on Amazon but doesn't seem to be available to buy yet.

Darren

walesrob
19th December 2006, 11:25
I've made this thread a sticky as I'm sure a few of us will need to make use of the information Pete has kindly supplied.

ginapeterb
20th December 2006, 12:08
Hi Pete,

What version of the life in the UK book is Gina studying?

As the faq from http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutus/newsarchive/introductionofnewrules says

"The test consists of 24 questions based on the information contained in the handbook "Life in the United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship”. The handbook was originally published in December 2004 and a revised handbook is due to be published in early 2007. You need to make sure you read the correct edition of the handbook, which will vary depending on when you take your test. If you are taking the test on or after 2 April you must study the second edition of the handbook."

The second edition is listed on Amazon but doesn't seem to be available to buy yet.

Darren

Not sure which version she is studying, but Im sure there shouldnt be much difference in future issues, anyway, its good for her to get started, as she wont be taking the test until probably April 2007, if I have to send for the new version, I will do so as required, its good to have this information, I am planning to build a new section on my website around this theme for future applicants, as I think we need to have a defined information base on FLR AND ILR and also naturalization, so I will be getting started on this over xmas, and should be finished for 2007.

ginapeterb
20th December 2006, 12:10
I've made this thread a sticky as I'm sure a few of us will need to make use of the information Pete has kindly supplied.

glad Elsa doesnt have to take the test Rob, you managed to wriggle out of that one hahahaha, February looks like it was the best time to come Rob, or was it January, Elsa's 2 years are just about up are they not ? cant wait to hear Elsa has UK Residency Visa....!!

andypaul
20th December 2006, 19:54
Not sure which version she is studying, but Im sure there shouldnt be much difference in future issues, anyway, its good for her to get started, as she wont be taking the test until probably April 2007, if I have to send for the new version, I will do so as required, its good to have this information, I am planning to build a new section on my website around this theme for future applicants, as I think we need to have a defined information base on FLR AND ILR and also naturalization, so I will be getting started on this over xmas, and should be finished for 2007.

good news for all us couples about to go though the process.

From the reading And research i have done the paperwork is fairly straightforward as long as you keep evidence thoughout the applicants stay in the uk.
One area where people have had problems is where the visa was issued and the applicant did not Enter the country for a while. This may be ignored by the authorties, but i have heard (although im not sure of all the details) you might have to apply for flr at 355 pounds! If you need to extend the time you spend in the uk before you can apply for ILR.
It may well be wise to warn people of this issues at the start of the spouse arriving to the uk just to prevent problems or worries later.

I cant wait to read the pages Pete as allways :-)

joebloggs
3rd January 2007, 15:06
Hi all,

I've just found out my wife and my step son will have to take "the life in the uk " test, well i tihnk so !! :doh

from what ive seen on the immgration web site, if you apply for ILR after 01 april 2007 you will have to take it for settlement purposes, but I phoned the "life in the UK" help line and was told wrongly you have to be in the UK for 3/5 yrs, well maybe hes right now, but start of april you will

the test is basic, although i couldnt get many right, not withot reading the book,,

Iam not sure you need the book, you might be able to get a pass with buying off ebay a pdf version of the chapters you need of the book if you take it b4 april 2007, as after the test covers more chapters and its been revised, as stated by others..

as for local test centre, the nearest is 8miles, the next 10 miles then 40 miles !!! :Brick:

good luck to all

mark

vbkelly
9th January 2007, 10:14
hello to everyone,im applying a citizenship this year im a bit confused bcoz i heard have a new revised book coming (LIFE IN THE UK ajourney to citizenship)early this year and i bought already the old book.so do i need to buy the new book or not? bcoz i plan to take a test this coming march before we going to philippines for holiday...thanks

scotsfiancee
23rd January 2007, 17:39
http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/htmlsite/index.html

Jimbo
4th February 2007, 21:27
I am trying to understand the English Language requirement in the new rules.

Am I right in thinking that if you take and pass the “Life in the UK Test” then your English is deemed to be OK?

Or do you need to pass the ESOL exam?

Jim

andypaul
4th February 2007, 21:49
I am trying to understand the English Language requirement in the new rules.

Am I right in thinking that if you take and pass the “Life in the UK Test” then your English is deemed to be OK?

Or do you need to pass the ESOL exam?

Jim

Thats how i read it as well Jim, as usual our dumb goverment can't just write in plain english so everyone is confused.

If you can pass the test your english is good enough, if you don't think its good enough or you keep failling the test, your advised to take the full course to help you and the goverment make more money no doubt.

i took the free example test on a site mentioned on here by pete. I got a 100 percent the questions were more about common sense and a little bit of experience of british life.

The wife got 16 out of 20 and she just sat there and made educated guesses on some of the questions.

Jimbo
5th February 2007, 16:21
I found the following paragraph in a document entitled
"Knowledge of life in the UK, settlement questions and answers".
This is on the IND Home office website.

It answers my question clearly.

If you pass this test you will not need to produce additional proof of your knowledge of English. This is because to pass the test you will need to be competent in English.

Jim

KeithD
5th February 2007, 20:50
I'm a scouser.....how the hell would I pass that? :D

fred
5th February 2007, 21:56
Theres a seperate test for Liverpool..Much harder!!

http://www.okcupid.com/tests/take?testid=9768123035949919587

vbkelly
26th March 2007, 15:57
I found the following paragraph in a document entitled
"Knowledge of life in the UK, settlement questions and answers".
This is on the IND Home office website.

It answers my question clearly.

If you pass this test you will not need to produce additional proof of your knowledge of English. This is because to pass the test you will need to be competent in English.

Jim i did passed the KNOWLEDGE OF LIFE IN THE UK TEST today i was surprised bcoz the question almost general knowledge just only a few question found in the book..oh yes yes i did it thanks:REDancedancer08: :REDancedancer08: :Britain: :Britain: :Britain:

KeithD
26th March 2007, 16:54
Now you're really English...Scottish..Irish & Welsh :Hellooo:

jec
8th May 2007, 08:27
Please help me in the ILR application, does the utility bills to be submitted should be original?

LadyJ
8th May 2007, 09:38
Yes! all must be originals or certified copies.

jec
17th May 2007, 13:05
Hi,

I am in a spouse visa. I was granted January 5, 2007 and went here in UK Jan 22, when can I apply for ILR? I have read that if I fly to UK after two weeks my visa was granted I will have to apply for FLR first before ILR to complete the 2 years? Is this correct?

joebloggs
18th May 2007, 20:37
as long as you came into the uk within 28 days of the visa being issued you dont need FLR. longer than that you might do, many weeks or months and you will. read the form set (m).

you can apply for ILR upto 28 days before the 22 jan 2009, but dont apply earlier or your app might get rejected, again read the set (m) form.

singkit
17th July 2007, 18:29
hello to everyone,im applying a citizenship this year im a bit confused bcoz i heard have a new revised book coming (LIFE IN THE UK ajourney to citizenship)early this year and i bought already the old book.so do i need to buy the new book or not? bcoz i plan to take a test this coming march before we going to philippines for holiday...thanks
The following is excerpt from Home Office website:

What happens if I have revised from the old version of the Life in the UK handbook?

If you studied using the old handbook you will be able to take the old test until the 30 June 2007. You will need to inform the test supervisor that you would like to take the old version of the test upon your arrival at the test centre.
From the 1 July 2007 onwards you will not be able to take a test based on the old (first edition). You should therefore ensure that you have studied the correct version of the handbook

telford
24th January 2008, 04:39
hello to everyone!!! I was a member of this site before i got my visa way back 2006.I got my spouse visa without any problem for just 3 days. I went to the UK right after and stay there for couple of months.We decide to go back here in Philippines since i was pregnant and i like to have my baby here in Philippines.We 're already here for almost a year now.We forgot about the situation of my visa,until i visit this site again last week.My problem now is,my visa is only until october this year.I wonder if the home office will gonna give me an ILR since I've been away from UK for almost a year now.But my husband is with me here in Philippines also. We are planning to go back to the UK this March and try to apply for my ILR. Hopefully I will be granted even Im away for almost a year. Can somebody help me what to do please since we have no documents form UK to show to the home office that were together with my husband.Only our properties here in Philippines,the bills and his passport that shows he's in Philippines the same time as me. PLSSSSS....HELP ME......

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 10:06
I don't think you have any chance of getting ILR, you must be in the uk 2years to be able to apply for ILR, you will have to apply for FLR instead.

you need to speak to IND about this thou :doh

LadyJ
24th January 2008, 10:17
Joe, even she ask the Home Office about her situation they will still tell her to extend her visa using the FLR M. Unless you and your husband had lived outside UK for 4-5 years you will be granted of Indefinite Leave to Enter.

Dont let your visa run out before you come back here in UK or else you will have to apply for Spouse visa again.

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 10:29
but she's already spent a few months in the uk, not sure what time your allowed outside the uk, but not a year :D, yes she has to come back to the uk, start collecting evidence that they've been togther for the 2 years and apply for FLR before her spouse visa runs out.. and ask IND when she can apply for ILR, as i've said she was in the uk a few months, but she might have to start her 2 years again :Erm: with what evers left on her spouse visa+ FLR to make up the 2 years. thats why i said she needs to speak to IND to ask about FLR and ILR.

telford
24th January 2008, 11:19
hello joeblogss and lady J, my visa will expire 05 october this year. i went to UK 13th Oct 2006. Do you think the Home Office will accept documents from Philippines showing that me and my husband still together even I'm here in Philippines. Because he's also staying here in Philippines while I'm here. We can proved it through his passport, and letters from his family back in UK. We're planning to go back there in UK this March,since the immigration stamp of my husbands passport will expire this 3rd of March,and me personally i dont want to pay an extention to the immigration coz it will cost fortune.
The only documents we have there in UK is our Bank Statement every month. I hope I still can get either FLR or ILR since i dont like to go though that process of applying spouse visa again.:doh
I hope that I still have enough time to collect all the documents that Home Office need.:bigcry:

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 11:42
no you cannot get ILR :NoNo:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/?view=Standard

"have lived here for two years in this category"

and you need to have passed the 'life in the uk' test before you apply for ILR..

the only other way is that you and your husband have lived outside the uk for 4 years.

:NoNo:

check with IND, but i think you have no option but to apply for FLR before your spouse visa expires in oct.

Mrs.JMajor
24th January 2008, 13:48
no you cannot get ILR :NoNo:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/?view=Standard

"have lived here for two years in this category"

and you need to have passed the 'life in the uk' test before you apply for ILR..

the only other way is that you and your husband have lived outside the uk for 4 years.

check with IND, but i think you have no option but to apply for FLR before your spouse visa expires in oct.

hi joe,

i keep reading that life in uk test,have any idea what sort of question is that
:Erm::Erm::Erm::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
i will appreciate if u share some just in case u had any idea (specific)

thanks,
juliet

LadyJ
24th January 2008, 13:57
What do you mean Juliet?

Are you studying the Life in the UK?

mhynne
24th January 2008, 14:23
im actually planning to study life in the uk already early... my husband already got me the book.. anyway my question is where do you usually take the exam for the english test? cause if i read it right i should pass the english test first before taking the life in the uk test right? hmm so many things to do. so little time hehehe

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 14:26
hi juliet ,the gov web site
http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

sample questions ..

http://www.uktestonline.co.uk/?p=sample_test
http://www.workpermit.com/uk/naturalisation/life_in_the_uk/quiz.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4099770.stm

it should not be too hard for a filipino to pass, my wife and stepson passed first time, and they only studied for a week or 2.. ( and thats only becuase i :furious3: at them :D)

:BouncyHappy:

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 14:31
im actually planning to study life in the uk already early... my husband already got me the book.. anywayhttp://www.uktestonline.co.uk/?p=sample_test my question is where do you usually take the exam for the english test? cause if i read it right i should pass the english test first before taking the life in the uk test right? hmm so many things to do. so little time hehehe

are you in the uk already mhynne ? or has the embassy asked you to take an english test :Erm:, i heard they were planning a simple english test before you could get a visa, i didn't know they started it yet thou.. i think you take it at the embassy.. :Erm:

LadyJ
24th January 2008, 14:32
English test and Life in the Uk test are the same unless you have attended the combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes.

You can find your local test centre from its official website http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

You can practise your test online from a minimum fee of £5.99 for 30 days and there is also a free test on other website just search it.

You only need to study chapter 2 3 4 5 and 6 from the Life in the UK 'A Journey to Citizenship'.

Anyone can take the exam early like you dont need to wait to take exam on near your apply for ILR etc..

Goodluck!

mhynne
24th January 2008, 14:46
are you in the uk already mhynne ? or has the embassy asked you to take an english test :Erm:, i heard they were planning a simple english test before you could get a visa, i didn't know they started it yet thou.. i think you take it at the embassy.. :Erm:

yes im already in the UK... got my spousal visa last dec.... :xxgrinning--00xx3:
so with me having the visa already, do i still need to take the english test?

sis ladyJ, ive read that you have to take the life in the uk test 28 days before your visa expires.. is this true or like you said i can already take it early on?
sorry but all these tests are now confusing me hehehe :Brick:

LadyJ
24th January 2008, 14:51
Yes mhynne you must take the Life in the Uk test before you apply for your indefinite, you will receive a certificate if you pass your test and you must submit it with your ILR application without a proof that you have knowledge on English they will refused your application and cannot refund the visa fee.

You can take the exam anytime, even soon.. you dont need to wait near your visa expiration. Just keep the certificate safe because if you lost it you will have to sit and take the test again.

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 15:03
i see your in the uk already :doh, sorry i cannot remember who is and who is not :cwm24:

ladyj is right :xxgrinning--00xx3:, but take it sooner than later, it might cost more later and they might make it harder, when my wife took it in march last year, she only had to revise 3 chapters, and now like ladyj said it's 5 chapters :NoNo:..

also if you leave it to the last minute, you never know you might not pass, and with your visa deadline :yikes:, so give yourself enough time, and hey its not that hard if my wife can pass it :yikes::icon_lol:

oh :cwm3::Cuckoo::Help1: i'm joking :bigcry:

mhynne
24th January 2008, 15:09
ah ok.. cause i just arrived actually.. so i dont know if should take this early on.. so maybe i should hehehe.. but i was actually just talking to my husband about this and ive read that some questions are just about day to day living in the UK and doesnt necessesarily come from the book.. so i might take it after i few months once i really feel i have integrated.. i think it be better that way in the sense that i could answer more questions wholeheartedly... cause im still learning about everyday life currently here.. still a lot to learn i think so.. i might buy and read the book now.. never too early to start studying.. ohh and i also need to read the manual for the drivers license.. hehehe a lot to study! thanks for the info

LadyJ
24th January 2008, 15:14
The tests are base on

Chapter 2. A changing society
Chapter 3. UK today: a profile
Chapter 4. How the United Kingdom is governed
Chapter 5. Everyday needs
Chapter 6. Employment

The easiests are chapter 5 and 6. The hardests are Chapter 2 3 4. Its random test you will have to pass 17 out of 24 questions.

Sample of Chapter 3 below

1 ) What is the total population of UK according to 2005 census?
A) 58 million
b) 58.6 million
C) 58.8 million
D) 59.8 million

2 ) In 2005 the population of the United Kingdom was just under ________________ people.
A) 58 million
b) 59 million
C) 60 million
D) 61 million

3 ) The Population of England is 84 percent of the UK population.
A) True
b) False

4 ) The Population of Scotland is 9 percent of the UK population.
A) True
b) False

5 ) The Population of Wales is 5 percent of the UK population.
A) True
b) False

6 ) The Population of N. Ireland is 2 percent of the UK population.
A) True
b) False

7 ) In 2005 the population of the United Kingdom was 59.8 million.
A) True
b) False

8 ) 50.1 million people of the UK population is in England.
A) True
b) False

9 ) ______________million people of the UK population is in England.
A) 40.1
b) 51.1
C) 41.1
D) 50.1

10 ) 5.5 million people of the UK population is in Scotland
A) True
b) False

LadyJ
24th January 2008, 15:23
sample of random

1 ) The UK census has been conducted every 10 years since 1801 except:
[ A ] during first world war
[ B ] during second world war
[ C ] during 1950s
[ D ] during 1960s

2 ) Scouse dialect is spoken in__________.
[ A ] Tyneside
[ B ] Liverpool
[ C ] Manchester
[ D ] London

3 ) Chief Moderator is
[ A ] The head of the established church in Northern Ireland
[ B ] The head of the established church in Scotland
[ C ] The head of the established church in England
[ D ] The head of the established church in Wales

4 ) St. Davids's Day is the national day of
[ A ] Wales
[ B ] Northern Ireland
[ C ] England
[ D ] Scotland

5 ) St. Andrew's day is the national day of
[ A ] Wales
[ B ] England
[ C ] Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland
[ D ] Scotland

6 ) While opening the new parliamentary session each year the Queen makes a speech.
[ A ] True [ B ] False

7 ) The elected members in the European Parliament election are called_______?
[ A ] Members of the European Parliament
[ B ] Members of the Parliament
[ C ] Members of the senet
[ D ] None of the above

8 ) In which year onwards women were allowed to vote at 21, the same age as men.
[ A ] 1926
[ B ] 1927
[ C ] 1928
[ D ] 1929

9 ) The public can listen to debates.
[ A ] A small cost is given to their local MPs
[ B ] A small cost is given Parliament.
[ C ] In free of charge.
[ D ] There is a entrance fee

10 ) To listen to debates in both the House of Commons and the House of Lords, we have to _____________
[ A ] write to local MP in advance to ask for tickets
[ B ] write to Prime minister in advance to ask for tickets
[ C ] write to Assembly rnembers in advance to ask for tickets
[ D ] write to QAueen in advance to ask for tickets.

11 ) Most of the countries of Europe are not members of The Council of Europe
[ A ] True
[ B ] False

12 ) How many permanent members are there in UN?
[ A ] Four
[ B ] Five
[ C ] Six
[ D ] Seven

13 ) Two-third of people in the UK live in
[ A ] Owned Houses
[ B ] Rented houses
[ C ] Studios
[ D ] Shared Rooms

14 ) The local authorities, who provides housing is known as
[ A ] Housing Authorities
[ B ] Council housing
[ C ] Housing Executive
[ D ] None of the above

15 ) There are usually waiting lists for homes owned by housing associations.
[ A ] True
[ B ] False

16 ) A landlord can force a tenant to leave
[ A ] True
[ B ] False

17 ) Information about grants and loans is available at the Citizens Advice Bureau or jobcentre Plus.
[ A ] True
[ B ] False

18 ) If the GP decides you need to take medicine you will be given a _________
[ A ] Medicine
[ B ] Report
[ C ] prescription
[ D ] None of the above

19 ) Who gets free dental treatment in the UK?
[ A ] Members of the European Parliament
[ B ] People on Income support [ C ] Royal Family
[ D ] MPs

20 ) The address of your local register Office is in the phone book.
[ A ] True
[ B ] False

21 ) Some areas of the country offer free nursery education for children over the age of __________.
[ A ] 2
[ B ] 3
[ C ] 6
[ D ] 7

22 ) In Wales, children learn Welsh in schools.
[ A ] True
[ B ] False

23 ) What is the speed limit for cars on in built-up areas?
[ A ] 30 mph
[ B ] 40 mph
[ C ] 45 mph
[ D ] 50 mph

24 ) To open a bank account you need a
[ A ] A driving licence
[ B ] A vehicle
[ C ] Proof of identity
[ D ] None of these

mhynne
24th January 2008, 16:53
wow thanks ladyJ ill add this to my bookmarks
this is a lot of help =)

baboyako
24th January 2008, 16:56
[ A ] Tyneside
[ B ] Most Prisons
[ C ] Manchester
[ D ] London

joebloggs
24th January 2008, 17:07
[ A ] Tyneside
[ B ] Most Prisons
[ C ] Manchester
[ D ] London

your right badboyako, could trick a few filipino's on here, thinking the answer is liverpool, but its not listed, so the answer has to be (b) most prisons

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
24th January 2008, 20:32
to anybody who's applying in the UK test,if your not happy to your english that's better to take the english lesson or ESOL

walesrob
24th January 2008, 22:26
You can find your local test centre from its official website http://www.lifeintheuktest.gov.uk/

...and the nearest test centre to Aberystwyth? 82 miles away :NoNo:

joyce
25th January 2008, 07:35
I've received my spouse visa last october 25,2007. I've been here in the UK 18th of january 2008. We are not planning to live here permanently. My question is, if my spouse visa will expire and I will apply for FLR do they grant me another 2 years for it?

ginapeterb
25th January 2008, 08:07
The answer to that is most probably No ! your 24 month visa starts from the date it was issued in the Philippines, so it starts from October 25th 2007, and will expire on 25th October 2009, because you did not arrive until the 18th January 2008, this means you are almost short 3 months for your next visa, so should you wish to apply for the extra 3 months to make up the 24 months you are required to live in UK, you would need to apply for a visa extension known as Further Leave to Remain.

This will cost you and your husband £395.00 or £595.00 for premium service.

As for your question about staying for a longer period without having indefinate leave to remain, the answer is they will only give you 6 months.

Gie
25th January 2008, 09:54
I've done and passed it last year! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Congratulations Kelly!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3: well done!!!

frednbyang
25th January 2008, 10:12
If you arrive here on a Fiancee visa when does the qualifying period for ILR begin, when you arrive, when you marry or when you received FLR. Having asked that I presume you only really need to apply before the FLR expires?

joyce
25th January 2008, 12:18
This will cost you and your husband £395.00 or £595.00 for premium service.

As for your question about staying for a longer period without having indefinate leave to remain, the answer is they will only give you 6 months.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much Pete. So if I will apply for FLR they will give me only 6 months, it means that even we are not planning to live here permanently still I need to apply for an ILR? So it cost me so much then £395 for the FLR and £995 for the ILR.

telford
25th January 2008, 12:47
Hi all
In regards to my last posting,thanks for the advise,but just one question about my wife's situation. becouse we only stayed in uk for five months after she got her visa,and we have now been here in philippines for almost 12 months we have to get FLR to make up the lost time here, is this still possible since as we read it the FLR is only good for six months,is it worth us contacting the IND and if so doe's anyone know the contact number.

joebloggs
25th January 2008, 14:46
...and the nearest test centre to Aberystwyth? 82 miles away :NoNo:

my misses had to goto the other side of manchester, i think it was 17 miles from where we are :yikes:,,, like 1 place in the whole of greater manchester :yikes:

about the ESOL and english lessons, its not any course you need to do , its an esol course where citizenship material is covered if you dont want to take the life in uk test!!!

as for the flr, if you cannot pass the life in uk test in time and your too late to take the esol course, you can apply for FLR at anytime, and i'm sure it's granted for 2 years !! not 6 months,,also once you pass the life in the uk test, if you have spent 2 years in the uk, you can apply for ILR ..
as always check with IND.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

kimmi
25th January 2008, 14:49
so u mean Joe if ever its my turn to apply for ILR and I dont feel like taking the Life in the UK test I can just take the ESOL Course?

can u tell me which one is better and cheaper?thanks

joebloggs
25th January 2008, 15:06
so u mean Joe if ever its my turn to apply for ILR and I dont feel like taking the Life in the UK test I can just take the ESOL Course?

take the test lady, you want to spend and waste many hours learning english and about the uk :yikes:

the test is easy, just need to remember facts and figures , its only what 5 chapters of a book..

you would need to find a college that does it and attend combined English language (ESOL) and citizenship classes.:NoNo:

baboyako
25th January 2008, 17:09
some more...

1. What is the population of Northern Ireland?
A .9 million
B 1.7 million
C 2.5 million
D 3.1 million

2. Which of the following statements is correct?
A Everyone is entitled to apply for council accommodation.
B Only people on benefits are entitled to apply for council accommodation.

3. At what age do school children take their first national test in Wales?
A 7
B 9
C 11
D 14

4. What is the youngest legal age for children to do paid work?
A 10 years old
B 12 years old
C 14 years old
D 8 years old

5. What year did women in the UK gain the right to divorce their husbands?
A 1810
B 1857
C 1901
D 1945

6. What percentage of the UK's population live in England?
A 53%
B 68%
C 75%
D 84%

7. When is the national day for Wales?
A 1 March
B 17 March
C 23 April
D 30 November

8. What percentage of children live within a stepfamily?
A 10%
B 25%
C 40%
D 55%

9. According to the 2001 Census, what proportion of the UK population are Christian?
A Five people out of ten
B Nine people out of ten
C Seven people out of ten
D Two people out of ten

10. What is the role of the European Parliament?
A Elect individual members of the European Commission.
B Ensure EU regulations and directives are being followed by member states.
C Examine decisions made by the European Council and the European Commission.
D Review European court cases that have been appealed.

11. What percentage of the UK's ethnic minority live in London?
A 23%
B 37%
C 45%
D 52%

12. In the 1960s, new laws restricted immigration to the UK, but people from which two countries were admitted?
A South East Asia
B Pakistan
C Uganda
D The West Indies

andypaul
25th January 2008, 21:33
Take the exam kimmi the esol course will bore you silly from what i have heard.

Like joe says its hard to get on and i doubt you need to take an esol basic course.

Like Joe and i always go on about ILETS here we go again.

If you dont have it already practise your english yourself and take an ielts exam so you can get a grade of your english skills. Which is useful for colleges and unis and for gaining a job in the uk.

vbkelly
25th January 2008, 21:56

kimmi before you apply the ILR you need to take the Life in the UK test and i think you don't need to take ESOL course your english is perfect

andypaul
25th January 2008, 22:09
kimmi before you apply the ILR you need to take the Life in the UK test and i think you don't need to take ESOL course your english is perfect

Shoudn't that be her scottish:Erm: english not liked so much up there in the land of tartan:D

LadyJ
26th January 2008, 00:29
Life in the UK test is quite easy, cheapest and saves you time than taking the english course!

I think most of the people done their test in less than 20 mins!

Im sure you can do this test Kimmi.

joebloggs
26th January 2008, 05:24
if you can't pass it kimmi
you should hold your head in shame :NoNo: and be sent back :yikes:

:D

oh ...:xxparty-smiley-004:

kimmi
27th January 2008, 14:43
thanks for the info Joe, ur highness, Andy and vkbelly..

its just I got confuse with the ESOL and LIFE in the UK TEST..I guess I need to study everything here in the UK now..:xxgrinning--00xx3::omg:

If you dont have it already practise your english yourself and take an ielts exam so you can get a grade of your english skills. Which is useful for colleges and unis and for gaining a job in the uk.

where can i take the ielts, Andy?

if you can't pass it kimmi
you should hold your head in shame :NoNo: and be sent back :yikes:

:D

oh ...:xxparty-smiley-004:

oh no JOE, ur putting a pressure on me..

Dont worry if its time for me to take the exam I will let u know the result and then u will decide ok..deal???
..:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::doh:Erm::ARsurrender:

Mrs.JMajor
27th January 2008, 14:53
deal :xxgrinning--00xx3: kimmi,

let us know ...when do u plan to take the test anyway

ate juliet :D

kimmi
27th January 2008, 15:00
after I get flr and before I get my ILR..so more or less a couple of years more Ate Juliet..

hey Joe, is it a deal???

joebloggs
27th January 2008, 16:07
why do you want to take an ielts exam ?
its an all day test, of listening, reading, speaking and writing :NoNo:

just take your life in the uk test, 20 mins, your done and dusted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

kimmi
28th January 2008, 12:59
because andy said ielts is also useful in finding work here..

joebloggs
28th January 2008, 14:20
maybe a bit of help, but i don't think it will help you that much, seeing you can read and write english :doh

kimmi
30th January 2008, 13:05
thanks for the compliment Joe, I also wonder because Ive learned that when I apply for a job all of my previous qualification are not applicable here they said I will start from scratch..so what will I do when I apply?

scotsfiancee
10th February 2008, 18:14
If you arrive here on a Fiancee visa when does the qualifying period for ILR begin, when you arrive, when you marry or when you received FLR. Having asked that I presume you only really need to apply before the FLR expires?

You must apply before the end of your authorised stay in the UK when
you are nearing completion of the 2-year qualifying period required by
the Immigration Rules. The 2-year qualifying period runs from the date on which
you were granted leave to enter or remain in this capacity. Please do
not apply more than 28 days before completing that period. If you
apply earlier than that, your application may be refused. If that happens,
we will not refund the fee and you will have to pay again when
reapplying.

so meaning we will apply ilr not more than 28 days before FLR expires. (its exactly what the officer told me when i applied in person last year.)
more info here (http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/ukresidency/settlement/applicationtypes/applicationformset(m)/)

andypaul
10th February 2008, 21:14
maybe a bit of help, but i don't think it will help you that much, seeing you can read and write english :doh

Helped my wife and that was only for a coffe shop job.

Most jobs still ask for english quals (gcse or o level) and sometimes maths even for basic jobs.

joebloggs
10th February 2008, 22:16
Helped my wife and that was only for a coffe shop job.

Most jobs still ask for english quals (gcse or o level) and sometimes maths even for basic jobs.

ARGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IELTS again :censored::cwm23::furious3:

:icon_lol:

andy i suppose it depends on how good you speak english, misses is really good, stepson, not so..

but i don't know how clear at speaking english kimmi is :Erm:

kimmi
11th February 2008, 12:43
but i don't know how clear at speaking english kimmi is :Erm:

so if ever id rather need one?:Erm::doh:Brick:

joebloggs
11th February 2008, 13:35
so if ever id rather need one?:Erm::doh:Brick:

kimmi if a non british, european doctor doesn't need IELTS to work in the uk, why do you think you do :yikes:

:D :NoNo::doh

kimmi
12th February 2008, 14:34
ok its sound and clear Joe...thanks..

I am keeping my fingers crossed it will be easy for me to settle in..

wrigglybum
26th February 2009, 12:00
this thread caught my enterest 'bout life in the uk test, well just want to share my experience 'bout it..... when i had mine i bought a second edition book from ebay last year nov. for £9.99 lol:BouncyHappy: test Q were from chapter 2 3 4 5 6. and ofcourse they got defferent sets of question, i've known loads people who failed the test for the first time and the test questions for the second time were never the same. one case particularly is the one my mother inlaw mentioned, a doctor at nhs which is her friend coz she work there aswell anyway she failed for 3 times in this test. i guess you just got to keep evrything in mind, wot u had read to prepare your self specially lil things which u think it wont be in the test silly things like how many percent in total population use drugs lol:Rasp: anyway im lucky to have a father inlaw to be my teacher in 4 days :D while his son busy working underneath his porsche how crazy is that..:Brick: lol
and..... when i was in that place to take my test there were 3 people there making sure u dont cheat lol anyway i heard them talking ( i know im being noisy, but its not my fault to hear wot he says. althou he tried to keep it very quite trying to whisper but it wasnt good enough for me not to hear:Cuckoo:) a friend of his asking him wot are we there for...and he was saying '' they're her to take ''the life in the uk test'' they need it to apply for ILR theres 24 Q and...... they are only allowed to have 3 question wrong!!!!!! :Erm:
someboy tells me his nuts pls....

joebloggs
26th February 2009, 18:55
they are only allowed to have 3 question wrong!!!!!! :Erm:
someboy tells me his nuts pls....

you need to get 75% to pass, so you can get 6 wrong, maybe they should do a maths test :doh

Jay&Zobel
27th February 2009, 00:19
Yep 75%...

The test s very easy and simple as long as you have studied very well. You can also do the practice test before taking the actual test itself...

But why is it that they wont give you the result after taking it?

wrigglybum
27th February 2009, 10:00
i would of think so joeblogs your right at that, plunker......:icon_lol:

jmlbp
11th September 2010, 21:36
hello to everyone:Wave:

my FLR visa will expire next year january 5 so need to apply for ILR by december this year but am bit confused about the one that i heard "knowledge of language"..do i need to take that as well same "life in UK test?
thanks!

joebloggs
11th September 2010, 21:52
it looks like you will :NoNo:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2010/275292/46-english-test-partners

jmlbp
11th September 2010, 22:29
:omg:
but
thanks to you joe and for the link

joebloggs
12th September 2010, 08:19
:omg:
but
thanks to you joe and for the link

the statement is badly written jmlbp, but the word 'initial' could well mean you don't have to take it, it looks like the English language test might not apply to persons already on Spouse visa awaiting ILR, the only requirement is the existing KOL( life in the Uk test)

i would give UKBA a call and check, but i missed the word 'initial' when i had a quick look and its not very clear anyway.

jmlbp
5th October 2010, 21:02
hi joe:Hellooo:

am here again asking for more ..

just bout my status..
i came here in UK on december year 2007 for fiance visa,after 6 months i got an extension visa for some matter.so another 6 months again til i got my FLR that will expire 5th of jan. next year.
So,will be my 3 years here in UK this coming December.
just want ask if can Apply for ILR anytime? now that i completed the 2-year period. thanks

macky
29th December 2010, 21:46
I have taken Life in the UK test last year and passed..But through the misunderstanding of one of our immigration adviser I was given a residency in UK under Surrinder Sigh rule and not need the test result..My residency will go on till 2014 and then I could apply for an ILR..
MY QUESTION IS: Stating on HO that as wong as you have taken the test It doesnt matter how long it takes for you to apply for an ILR or Citisenship..meaning the test haven't got an expiry date as long as uou pass...With this upgraded regulation now..So it means I have to take the test again?:doh

joebloggs
29th December 2010, 22:05
if you came to the UK on a family permit.
then you want to apply for Permanent Residence on form EEA4 and not ILR

macky
29th December 2010, 22:12
I've got a residence card of a family member of an EEA citizen.(.but a bit confusing since my husband is Brit which practised treaty rights in CZ...) thats why I fall under the category in Surrinder Sing Rule.