PDA

View Full Version : another Filipino superstition....

pacificelectric
26th December 2009, 12:42
My GF received from her eldest daughter a pair of shoes for Christmas but she told me she had to give her daughter 10 pesos, as part of a superstition so she will not stamp on her daughter's feet with the new shoes! I guess the superstition is a bit metaphorical and means that the person receiving the gift will not overpower the one giving it, and she said it is the same for all presents related to feet (shoes, socks....)!!

maria_and_matt
26th December 2009, 17:23
My GF received from her eldest daughter a pair of shoes for Christmas but she told me she had to give her daughter 10 pesos, as part of a superstition so she will not stamp on her daughter's feet with the new shoes! I guess the superstition is a bit metaphorical and means that the person receiving the gift will not overpower the one giving it, and she said it is the same for all presents related to feet (shoes, socks....)!!

hmm i have not heard of that one...

Tawi2
26th December 2009, 19:06
One superstition that always scared me as a small boy was that if a pubescent teenager "Touches himself" he will go blind and all his friends will see the hairy palms of his hands and know what he does when he is alone at night :bigcry:scared me rigid for years,I used to shave the palms of my hands with my dads razor "Just in case":bigcry:But thats a UK only superstition I think:Erm:

pacificelectric
26th December 2009, 19:17
In France he will go deaf and I never shaved my ears.... :icon_lol:

Florge
26th December 2009, 19:28
yup... that's another superstition... but you can give any amount though... even one cent would be ok as long as you exchanged the shoes with money...

pacificelectric
26th December 2009, 20:08
yup... that's another superstition... but you can give any amount though... even one cent would be ok as long as you exchanged the shoes with money...

Yes, that's what my GF told me, but I guess she had given all her coins to all the children caroling at her gate these past few days:! :rolleyes:

maria_and_matt
26th December 2009, 22:25
One superstition that always scared me as a small boy was that if a pubescent teenager "Touches himself" he will go blind and all his friends will see the hairy palms of his hands and know what he does when he is alone at night :bigcry:scared me rigid for years,I used to shave the palms of my hands with my dads razor "Just in case":bigcry:But thats a UK only superstition I think:Erm:

why were u so scared:icon_lol::icon_lol:maybe u 'touched yourself' often???:omg:

English Rose
31st December 2009, 20:03
I bought my Filipino friend a pair of socks and he insisted on giving me a coin.

somebody
31st December 2009, 23:29
I bought my Filipino friend a pair of socks and he insisted on giving me a coin.

I may take all my old smelly socks to Phill and hand them out see how many coins i get offered:D

With new shoes i remeber we use to christen one anothers shoes by stamping on them

triple5
31st December 2009, 23:36
With new shoes i remeber we use to christen one anothers shoes by stamping on them

:icon_lol: I'd forgotten about that. Yeh we used to do that. Used to hurt with sandals though :D

somebody
31st December 2009, 23:53
:icon_lol: I'd forgotten about that. Yeh we used to do that. Used to hurt with sandals though :D
:D:icon_lol:

What school did you go to with your jesus creepers on:D

triple5
1st January 2010, 00:10
I don't think it was compulsory at our school but my mum used to make me wear them in the summer. They say kids can be cruel, but parents can be worse at times :D

somebody
1st January 2010, 00:38
I don't think it was compulsory at our school but my mum used to make me wear them in the summer. They say kids can be cruel, but parents can be worse at times :D

:icon_lol: Did you have the velcro trainers as well:Erm: Great fun those were:D

triple5
1st January 2010, 00:43
Nope, Dunlop green flash for PE :D