PDA

View Full Version : Commission For Filipinos Overseas

Arthur Little
19th December 2009, 14:02
Having just read that moves are afoot to locate six new Area Immigration Bureaux in various regions of the Phils, I would stress the fact :poke: that it's even more imperative to establish CFO facilities in the likes of Davao City ... arguably the world's largest metropolis in terms of land mass ... to cater for an ever-increasing number of prospective overseas emigrants from the country's second most populous island.

aromulus
19th December 2009, 14:10
If you want to put this point across to the Phil government, go ahead....:D

We all agree with yah...

darren-b
19th December 2009, 14:47
Having just read that moves are afoot to locate six new Area Immigration Bureaux in various regions of the Phils, I would stress the fact :poke: that it's even more imperative to establish CFO facilities in the likes of Davao City ... arguably the world's largest metropolis in terms of land mass ... to cater for an ever-increasing number of prospective overseas emigrants from the country's second most populous island.

I wouldn't hold your breath. As international flights are very limited from Davao airport (Silk Air fly 4 times a week to Singapore) many emigrants moving abroad will end up having to go to Manila or possibly Cebu anyway.

johncar54
19th December 2009, 14:54
Arthur, when you get in touch and suggest they have an office in Davao, maybe you could also point out that 'immigration' relates to people newly entering a country 'emigration' relates to people leaving to to live in another country. Thus they need Emigration offices not immigration ones!

You might also point out that the seminars are supposed to be to assist emigrants and oversea workers and advise them of their rights in other countries. Thus the process should not, as it seems to be in many cases, be difficult/abrasive for those attending and it should be voluntary.

Regards all

PS I just took the on-line UK citizen test. I did it twice, the first time I got 80% and passed the second time I failed with 66%. Good thing I live in Spain, will I have to surrender my UK passport !!!!!!!

Arthur Little
19th December 2009, 14:59
If you want to put this point across to the Phil government, go ahead....:D

We all agree with yah...

:) ... grazie mille!

darren-b
19th December 2009, 15:03
Arthur, when you get in touch and suggest they have an office in Davao, maybe you could also point out that 'immigration' relates to people newly entering a country 'emigration' relates to people leaving to to live in another country. Thus they need Emigration offices not immigration ones!
You might also point out that the seminars are supposed to be to assist emigrants and oversea workers and advise them of their rights in other countries. Thus the process should not, as it seems to be in many cases, be difficult/abrasive for those attending and it should be voluntary.

Regards all

PS I just took the on-line UK citizen test. I did it twice, the first time I got 80% and passed the second time I failed with 66%. Good thing I live in Spain, will I have to surrender my UK passport !!!!!!!

Might be wrong but I think these new offices are for Immigration - ie to look after the foreigners in the country.

From the Bureau of Immigration website http://immigration.gov.ph

Undertake the administration and enforcement of immigration and citizenship laws and the admission of foreigners to the Philippines including the enforcement of alien registration laws, and the exclusion , deportation and repatriation of aliens.

johncar54
19th December 2009, 15:13
Darren, thanks for that.

Maybe when CFO refer to 'immigrants' they mean their citizen who 'Emigrate' and thus become 'Immigrants' in other countries !!!!!

Arthur Little
19th December 2009, 20:37

Regards all

Darren, thanks for that.

Maybe when CFO refer to 'immigrants' they mean their citizen who 'Emigrate' and thus become 'Immigrants' in other countries !!!!!

:NoNo: Actually, YOU'RE quite right, John. :iagree: ... they DO need more *Emigration Centres [or Centers as they're spelt in the Phils] ... and, as the *CFO purportedly exists for the long-term protection of the increasing numbers of Filipinos about to settle in other countries, then priority ought to be given to locating *such offices *where there's most likely to be the largest outflux ... i.e., in cities like *Davao. *Which is precisely the point I'm making! It seems to me, the Philippines as a nation, is already well-enough endowed with Immigration facilities without creating more.

johncar54
20th December 2009, 09:18
Arthur

when Elaine did her CFO 'day of humiliation' it was at The Good Shepherd Convent, Katipunan (just outside Manila).

It was not possible to make an appointment and only the first 12 in the queue could attend each day. For us it was not so bad as we were staying not far away, so it was a very early start to get a place in the first 12. For those coming from a Province I hate to think how they managed. Especially as for some countries (including Spain) there was only one seminar every two weeks.

We went on the 'Spain day' but Elaine was told that as she was marrying a Brit she had to do the UK day. We explained we would be living in Spain, no still the UK day. We returned and joined the queue on the UK day.

When we later went to get the stamp in the passport, after getting the visa, they said we should have done the Spain Day. It was only because I had emailed CFO and they had confirmed Elaine had to do the UK day (we had the copy email) that, with bad grace, she got the exit stamp.

darren-b
20th December 2009, 09:51
:NoNo: Actually, YOU'RE quite right, John. :iagree: ... they DO need more *Emigration Centres [or Centers as they're spelt in the Phils] ... and, as the *CFO purportedly exists for the long-term protection of the increasing numbers of Filipinos about to settle in other countries, then priority ought to be given to locating *such offices *where there's most likely to be the largest outflux ... i.e., in cities like *Davao. *Which is precisely the point I'm making! It seems to me, the Philippines as a nation, is already well-enough endowed with Immigration facilities without creating more.

Can't see them ever opening up lots of Emigration centres as most of them would then be pretty empty. I agree that Davao would logically be the first choice for a third office, but as I already said the lack of international flights from the airport there doesn't help it's case. But they don't need more of these Emigration centes anyway, they need less (ie none). Scrap the seminar and the stamp in the passport and it solves all the problems.

Arturo
26th December 2009, 05:56
Might be wrong but I think these new offices are for Immigration - ie to look after the foreigners in the country.

From the Bureau of Immigration website http://immigration.gov.ph

Undertake the administration and enforcement of immigration and citizenship laws and the admission of foreigners to the Philippines including the enforcement of alien registration laws, and the exclusion , deportation and repatriation of aliens.

Does that mean they will re-educate 99% of officials - into not wanting bribes!