PDA

View Full Version : More bodies uncovered in Philippines

Win2Win
3rd December 2006, 14:24
PADANG, Philippines (AP) — Rescuers recovered more bodies from flooded homes and mud-swamped villages on Saturday, raising the death total from Typhoon Durian to over 300, with up to another 300 ...

More... (http://feeds.bignewsnetwork.com/?rid=5948594&cat=0267775d6f1c3971)

KeithD
4th December 2006, 10:02
I feel sorry for the kids, but not the adults who are fully aware of the dangers. They see it happening time & time again, the goverment moves them away, but they all go back again.

The volcano was spewing out crap a few months back, so it's obvious that any rain will bring loose material down, and a typhoon will do it really fast.

There are still millions of tons of loose material, and yet some folk are probably already rebuilding. :doh

I know they are not rich, but surely the village can get together and hire a digger to at least build some sort of diversion dyke. It wouldn't have helped much with that onslaught, but may have saved 1 or 2 lives, but it would take the smaller lahares away.....and they will come.

fred
4th December 2006, 20:15
Where did the "government" move them to?
If they replaced their lands with similar lot sizes in a safer location nearby then I would agree.
Many of these people are farmers that depended on their land just to eat.

Pretty horrific scenes here..
http://www.rambocam.com/

KeithD
5th December 2006, 10:16
Nothing wrong with still using the land, but move the kids & family out of the dangerzone. The majority of folk around the world travel to work without leaving there families lives at risk.

I would have thought that the dangers of living under an active volcano where clear even to a blind retarded mute!!

fred
5th December 2006, 15:26
Nothing wrong with still using the land, but move the kids & family out of the dangerzone. The majority of folk around the world travel to work without leaving there families lives at risk.

I would have thought that the dangers of living under an active volcano where clear even to a blind retarded mute!!

Where/who exactly would they take them? Their local town hall?:Erm:

There have been 4 typhoons so far this year.
Their exact direction cannot be predicted..
This one for instance was headed to devestate Manila the "expert" told us. It missed Manila by 60 miles.
When people this poor with no other place to go hear about another typhoon coming their way they usually just pray that it doesn`t.
No other choice.

KeithD
5th December 2006, 16:04
Not talking about the Typhoon Fred......the big thingny they choose to live under beltching out millions of tons of loose dust, and depositing it around the mountain top for a few months. This volcano is still active and is giving out daily tremors.

Do you honestly believe these people think it would balance there forever, do they learn nothing from the continous Lahares on Pinitubo? Most folk who lived along the lahare path moved away & stayed away with that one, only a few local tribes folk moved back.

Jay&Zobel
9th December 2006, 20:22
this was the cagsawa ruins...Cagsawa Ruins - in 1814, Mayon Volcano erupted and sent lava flows cascading down its sides. The townspeople of Cagsawa fled to the church where they perished when it was engulfed in the fiery flows. only the church tower remains as a memorialnow its all gone.

2006 the mudslide covered the entire church tower...

my family lives 3 hours drive from Mayon Volcano...so i just know how terrifying the typhoon was..
i really felt sad when the typhoon hit our place again.

till now, the power is cut. lots of infrastructure were destroyed. no phonelines. they said the power will not be back till next year.
and its nearly Christmas... how i wish i was there when it happened.. but thank God, they were ok.

jay was able to see the cagsawa ruins when he visited me this May 2006...

Jay&Zobel
9th December 2006, 20:23
http://www.hawaii.edu/cps/maycag.html

Jay&Zobel
9th December 2006, 20:26
hope this ok for the members to see...

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/53247/index.html