PDA

View Full Version : Dont think my wife is getting paid, advice please.

Plonker
7th December 2009, 09:41
Recently my wife has started to work as a house keeper for a big hotel franchise in Leeds. Problem is she has decided to quit her job after only working there for 8 days, because it was hurting her body, so she asked if she can work part time. But no conclusion came out of it. So instead I helped her write a resignation letter and handed it in. My wife told me she doesn't want to go in full stop.

Besides my wife wanting to quit her job. I'm also worried because I asked many questions when she started, like how many holidays you entitled too, what is the pay rate, what are your working hours, when do you get paid. And I was really suprised that she didn't know any of the answers. So my wife told me a couple of days ago that she spoke to another co-worker and that she will get paid next January at the end of the month (is this right guys).

So we handed in the resignation and she's not going into work anymore, so what are the chances of her getting paid for the time she has worked there. Bearing in mind she isn't working a notice period too.

I'm gathering all of the research before I can fire through to her employer. Your help is much appriciated.

vbkelly
7th December 2009, 09:51
Recently my wife has started to work as a house keeper for a big hotel franchise in Leeds. Problem is she has decided to quit her job after only working there for 8 days, because it was hurting her body, so she asked if she can work part time. But no conclusion came out of it. So instead I helped her write a resignation letter and handed it in. My wife told me she doesn't want to go in full stop.

Besides my wife wanting to quit her job. I'm also worried because I asked many questions when she started, like how many holidays you entitled too, what is the pay rate, what are your working hours, when do you get paid. And I was really suprised that she didn't know any of the answers. So my wife told me a couple of days ago that she spoke to another co-worker and that she will get paid next January at the end of the month (is this right guys).

So we handed in the resignation and she's not going into work anymore, so what are the chances of her getting paid for the time she has worked there. Bearing in mind she isn't working a notice period too.

I'm gathering all of the research before I can fire through to her employer. Your help is much appriciated.

yes she will get paid even she just work there 8days and it might in national minimum wage. if she started this month she will get her wages end of january, and she is entitled 20days holidays plus 8days public holidays.

pennybarry
7th December 2009, 09:56
Of course she is entitled to be paid! Ask the company about their cut-off period. If she is working and weekly paid, monday - friday is usually the cut-off period. So you need a week to wait, depends upon her cut-off period. But January is too far!!!!:omg:

Before she accept the job, she must ask about her rate, scheduled day-off, cut off period, number of holidays, and she needs to ask if sat/ sunday is overtime or not.

vbkelly
7th December 2009, 10:05
its depend on the company if they pay weekly or monthly and she must entitled evrything if she is full time working. my first job was working in the hotel for a casual worker but i was entitled 4weeks holidays plus 8days public hol and sick pay.

aromulus
7th December 2009, 10:16
and she is entitled 20days holidays .

I am pretty sure that there is a qualifying period of six months for this.....:Erm:

plus 8days public holidays.

Doesn't apply in this case, as you would get time and half only if you work them... Or time off in lieu...
And nothing if you take them as off days.

darren-b
7th December 2009, 14:08
As far as I am aware the holiday entitlement starts immediately, and it is a minimum of 28 days per year. You have no entitlement to take bank holidays off so if you do they count as part of your 28 days.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788

Might be difficult getting paid all the money she is due if she doesn't work her notice period. Assuming she has signed a contract her employer could technically take her to court and claim compensation from her.

Piamed
7th December 2009, 15:50
Amigo, if your wife does not work her notice, she should still get paid for the days she has worked unless there is fine print in her employment contract stating otherwise.

Plonker
7th December 2009, 22:06
Thanks for your replies. I think the best course of action is to wait until end of January when she is supposed to get paid and see if they pay up. Its only 8 days pay which isnt much, but money is money right. I'm thinking because she forfeited her notice they may not have to pay her.

Though I was shocked when she told me that she gets paid every 2 months and even then, she will only get 2 weeks worth of pay, then another 2 months before she gets full pay so thats 4 months. All that hard work for tupence. Cant believe some employers are like that to foreign workers. My wife told me that there are 2 thai girls working there and they get paid £2.3 per room :yikes:

aug06_2006
8th December 2009, 00:01
my experienced I work just only a month in the a kind of household shop. I was working 6 hours a day in 5 days a week. It was a good job but I quit coz my employer didn't issue me a payslip. no good!!!

keithAngel
9th December 2009, 23:10
As far as I am aware the holiday entitlement starts immediately, and it is a minimum of 28 days per year. You have no entitlement to take bank holidays off so if you do they count as part of your 28 days.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Timeoffandholidays/DG_10029788

Might be difficult getting paid all the money she is due if she doesn't work her notice period. Assuming she has signed a contract her employer could technically take her to court and claim compensation from her.

Its around 11% added on to your hourly rate:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Pete67
20th December 2009, 22:25

If they refuse to pay perhaps stay at a different branch, run up a bill for the amount owed and then when you check out deduct the amount owed...