PDA

View Full Version : Google OS

somebody
20th November 2009, 21:42
So you all got your VM image or developer version of Google Chrome OS yet?

Im sure Joe has of his favourite torrent:D

Will make a quick browse much easier for some people I guess.

Be intresting to have a dual boot device with Google os for a quick browse to check the mails, fil uk and the train time and your W7/SL/ linux os of choice.

I think google must have much faith in ISP's providing a 24/7 perfect service and are assured they will never have a outrage like the sidekick data loss which happened recently on devices which also hold the data in the "cloud"

Gotta say moving to solid state memory/HDD once you do it no returning and yes it could fail on you but of course you back up all your data anyway surely.

joebloggs
20th November 2009, 22:57
Im sure Joe has of his favourite torrent:D

dont use torrents andy

i'm still waiting for you to upgrade me pc to win2k :doh

busy with a Wii getting games to load from a usb drive :D

walesrob
20th November 2009, 23:15
I would be interested in this new OS as I'm using Google Applications for my own personal domain, with mail, documents and websites. Having seen a preview, its seems Chrome will basically be a browser and everything will be stored in a "Cloud" environment. This is not a problem, but somehow storing everything online - emails, documents, etc always carries a risk that you may lose it all should Google go belly up. BUT, having said that, I've used Google Applications since launch, and its never gone wrong, so maybe I'm being paranoid, and Google, as much as you may hate them, will not be disappearing anytime soon, so they seem a safe bet.

Only potential problem is the online aspect. Just recently, my ISP has been falling over after 6pm when I would get sub-dial up speeds on 8mb Broadband. This would render the Chrome OS unusable, but 21CN Broadband is on the way in 2011 at my local exchange (with BT being the sole provider).

somebody
20th November 2009, 23:53
I would be interested in this new OS as I'm using Google Applications for my own personal domain, with mail, documents and websites. Having seen a preview, its seems Chrome will basically be a browser and everything will be stored in a "Cloud" environment. This is not a problem, but somehow storing everything online - emails, documents, etc always carries a risk that you may lose it all should Google go belly up. BUT, having said that, I've used Google Applications since launch, and its never gone wrong, so maybe I'm being paranoid, and Google, as much as you may hate them, will not be disappearing anytime soon, so they seem a safe bet.

Only potential problem is the online aspect. Just recently, my ISP has been falling over after 6pm when I would get sub-dial up speeds on 8mb Broadband. This would render the Chrome OS unusable, but 21CN Broadband is on the way in 2011 at my local exchange (with BT being the sole provider).

Indeed google would need to assit the ISP's who seem to be struggling now let alone with people needing to upload and download even more data.

But for google if they could scan and get a even more of a look at ALL of your data they be in heaven. So possibly worth them financing part of the investment required..

As a regular user of Google Mail imap it has had a few major outrages so they still have someway to go.

JimOttley
21st November 2009, 22:10

I do worry !

This week the Google bookmarks application in iGoogle got updated, the update was a total disaster it appeared to combine parts of my google notebooks into my bookmarks I wish I had taken a screenshot it was an absolute mess the other day.

I rely on Google bookmarks I always wanted to be able to export to xml and import from xml, it is xml in storage terms I bet so if they provided this feature for all online apps I would be happy as I could be sure I ha d a copy that was not open to one developers hangover :D ( I am developer and I have bad days too :))

Anyway today they have reverted to the original Google bookmarks app :xxgrinning--00xx3: which works fine.

Jim

walesrob
21st November 2009, 23:12
As a regular user of Google Mail imap it has had a few major outrages so they still have someway to go.

I've not had any major problems with GMail's IMAP, but then in my experience IMAP is never consistent - it all depends on mail servers and more importantly, email clients. Thunderbird for example will sometimes choke during Gmail SSL sessions, whereas Windows Mail supplied with Vista is a bit more forgiving with IMAP. The best email client I've seen working with IMAP is Sylpheed.

aromulus
22nd November 2009, 09:24
It is all so interesting that it doesn't make any sense to me......:Erm:

So I decided I will keep on fumbling along, with what I got, like I have done for the past few years....:rolleyes:

somebody
22nd November 2009, 12:44
I've not had any major problems with GMail's IMAP, but then in my experience IMAP is never consistent - it all depends on mail servers and more importantly, email clients. Thunderbird for example will sometimes choke during Gmail SSL sessions, whereas Windows Mail supplied with Vista is a bit more forgiving with IMAP. The best email client I've seen working with IMAP is Sylpheed.

In the last couple of years its had a few outrages lasting up to a day. All documented at the time by the press. In face some were imap and pop3 the whole caboodle. One from memory was due to a Engineer pressing the wrong button taking the wrong server offline if i recall correctly.

Thats bad enough when its your email but all your work:omg:

walesrob
22nd November 2009, 13:01
In the last couple of years its had a few outrages lasting up to a day. All documented at the time by the press. In face some were imap and pop3 the whole caboodle. One from memory was due to a Engineer pressing the wrong button taking the wrong server offline if i recall correctly.

Thats bad enough when its your email but all your work:omg:

True.

Look at it this way - who would you trust with your emails - a giant corporation like Gmail with servers everywhere and many 1000's of people running it or a small company like Fastmail who provide a first class for-fee email service, but with only 4-5 staff, but with the best customer support for any email provider. Its a trade-off between free or paid, large or small.

The best advice I can give anyone is to backup, backup and backup again. So with emails, save a local copy on your computer, if your using IMAP, theres a nice little utility called IMAP Size that creates an archive of all your email on a regular basis, or, why not use the POP download function, and in the settings on GMail, select the option to "archive" a copy on the server, so you'll always have 2 copies of everything. The same for other email services - in your email client (Outlook Express, Windows Mail) select the option to "leave mail on the server".

No email service is totally reliable, they've all had outages at one time or another.

somebody
22nd November 2009, 13:10
True.

Look at it this way - who would you trust with your emails - a giant corporation like Gmail with servers everywhere and many 1000's of people running it or a small company like Fastmail who provide a first class for-fee email service, but with only 4-5 staff, but with the best customer support for any email provider. Its a trade-off between free or paid, large or small.

The best advice I can give anyone is to backup, backup and backup again. So with emails, save a local copy on your computer, if your using IMAP, theres a nice little utility called IMAP Size that creates an archive of all your email on a regular basis, or, why not use the POP download function, and in the settings on GMail, select the option to "archive" a copy on the server, so you'll always have 2 copies of everything. The same for other email services - in your email client (Outlook Express, Windows Mail) select the option to "leave mail on the server".

No email service is totally reliable, they've all had outages at one time or another.

Im well aware of that Rob:) But it will be intresting if you can somehow back up offline all your Data on Chrome OS and if its the day it all goes down you would have a lump of plastic you would be glad of your dual boot.

As you say no Network storage provider is 100 percent perfect.

Google will make enough money scaning your data has they do your emails to sell you advertising to ensure the system works 99 percent of the time im sure.