PDA

View Full Version : UK nurse newbie!

satchuna
1st November 2009, 15:24
Hi.. I wish to go to UK as soon as my application are all set.. Does anyone here can tell me how many months do I have to wait for my application?? I am applying as an RN registered by the NMC. and please update me on how my life would probably be during my first year in UK. I am so thrilled yet so excited:)

pennybarry
1st November 2009, 15:36
Hi.. I wish to go to UK as soon as my application are all set.. Does anyone here can tell me how many months do I have to wait for my application?? I am applying as an RN registered by the NMC. and please update me on how my life would probably be during my first year in UK. I am so thrilled yet so excited:)

Are you already registered?
Is your application is student? Did you apply in agency for a working permit?
Usually, the agency will tell you how long to process it if you're applying in an POEA accredited agency to work in UK. But if that is only manpower pooling, it takes many months. If you are already registered at NMC, it is more easier for you to apply online. Did you visit NMC website and see how long it takes to register to them?

http://www.nmc-uk.org/aSection.aspx?SectionID=6

Goodluck!

satchuna
4th November 2009, 02:47
tnx for the reply.. I am still on the process of applying as a registered nurse in NMC..

pennybarry
4th November 2009, 07:38
tnx for the reply.. I am still on the process of applying as a registered nurse in NMC..

I see.
Goodluck for your applications.
NMC and your local agency.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
7th November 2009, 15:46
Hello, I was interested to note that you are applying as a registered nurse to work in Britain. I'm sure you realise that the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) requires you to have at least 12 months' experience working in a hospital before they will register you here. You must be registered with the NMC to be able to work as a nurse here. However, if you have a nursing degree from Philippines I am not sure whether you could do some other healthcare work in this country. Maybe someone else on the Forum has knowledge about that possibility.
ALAN

joebloggs
7th November 2009, 16:05
if you have a nursing degree from Philippines I am not sure whether you could do some other healthcare work in this country. Maybe someone else on the Forum has knowledge about that possibility.
ALAN

many pinoy nurses work in care homes as care assistants, or are on NVQ courses but its not what they trained for :NoNo:

satchuna
18th November 2009, 01:58
Hello, I was interested to note that you are applying as a registered nurse to work in Britain. I'm sure you realise that the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) requires you to have at least 12 months' experience working in a hospital before they will register you here. You must be registered with the NMC to be able to work as a nurse here. However, if you have a nursing degree from Philippines I am not sure whether you could do some other healthcare work in this country. Maybe someone else on the Forum has knowledge about that possibility.
ALAN

I am working for 2 years now in a tertiary hospital here in the Philippines so I don't have any prob with the work experience.. I am on the process of registering in the NMC and am just waiting for the decision letter for me to undergo the 20 days adaptive training program.. geez.. I am so excited to go to UK.. I don't know what's waiting on me there:)

aromulus
18th November 2009, 07:19
I am so excited to go to UK.. I don't know what's waiting on me there:)

Cold, wind, rain, snow........

High taxes......:NoNo:

Doc Alan
18th November 2009, 20:38
You will I am sure receive a warm welcome in the UK, for you are well qualified and there is difficulty here retaining the current workforce of nurses. Insensitive comments about our climate and high taxation should be ignored when you have just suffered the worst typhoon in 40 years and the salary for nurses in the Philippines is so low in comparison. Furthermore you have already worked for two years in your own country and you have every reason to look forward to coming here.

aromulus
19th November 2009, 08:14
You will I am sure receive a warm welcome in the UK, for you are well qualified and there is difficulty here retaining the current workforce of nurses. Insensitive comments about our climate and high taxation should be ignored when you have just suffered the worst typhoon in 40 years and the salary for nurses in the Philippines is so low in comparison. Furthermore you have already worked for two years in your own country and you have every reason to look forward to coming here.

Insensitive...???:Erm:

What is so insensitive, if I may ask....?

Would you rather tell porkies....??
Like saying this is the land of milk and honey, or would you tell it as it really is...???

KeithD
19th November 2009, 10:04
Insensitive comments about our climate and high taxation should be ignored when you have just suffered the worst typhoon in 40 years and the salary for nurses in the Philippines is so low in comparison.
:icon_lol: Yeah we only pay about 70% tax on petrol for starters, 17.5% VAT (I think the world average is 5%)........and the weather.....we have hurricanes in the UK we just don't call them that, the only reason we have less devastation is that we get warnings, have better buildings, and don't suffer large landslides which is the biggest Phil killer.

Doc Alan
19th November 2009, 10:29
I stand by every word I have said. I am a newcomer to this forum myself, but speak with 35 years' experience as a doctor both in this country and Malaysia and Philippines, having worked with and taught nurses. I had sincerely hoped that my contributions to the forum were helpful and they are most certainly honest.
The UK government recently announced that in future all NHS nurses must have a university degree. A nurse with a degree and two years' experience working in hospital should be given a warm welcome in this country, especially after having done her duty in Philippines hospitals.
My intention is to be helpful where I have the knowledge to do so, as I have already found the forum interesting and helpful.

aromulus
19th November 2009, 11:22
I had sincerely hoped that my contributions to the forum were helpful and they are most certainly honest. .

No one is doubting that.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

The UK government recently announced that in future all NHS nurses must have a university degree. A nurse with a degree and two years' experience working in hospital should be given a warm welcome in this country, especially after having done her duty in Philippines hospitals..

I recently spent a few days at NHS leisure, in one of their establisments, due to a dodgy ticker, and while there I overheard something about contracts not being renewed and consequently a few somebodies having to find future employment in nursing homes, or go home.
Which I thought rather harsh and ungrateful.

My intention is to be helpful where I have the knowledge to do so, as I have already found the forum interesting and helpful.

Your imput is invaluable and aknowledged.

But it won't stop me and/or some others telling the real story.
It isn't done to put people off, but rather as a small warning on what to expect.

Doc Alan
19th November 2009, 12:41
Forgive my naivety in not telling the "real story", I am sure as moderator you will have the last word on this matter despite my sincere efforts to be helpful.

aromulus
19th November 2009, 12:59
I am sure as moderator you will have the last word on this matter .

Nope :NoNo:

Dedworth
19th November 2009, 13:10
I suppose as the policy has only just been announced there is no meat on the bone yet but I'm wondering if this requirement for nurses to have a degree will recognise Philippine Degrees or is it just UK ones...............

Doc Alan
19th November 2009, 14:39
Currently the NMC requires a nurse from outside the European Economic Area to "meet our minimum standards" and then undertake the Overseas Nursing Programme. One would hope that a degree from the Philippines and two years' experience working in hospital there would be adequate, because that should ensure academic and practical knowledge. That should keep the Government, Royal College of Nursing, and the nursing unions Unison and Unite happy !

kimmi
19th November 2009, 17:49

Goodluck satchuna,..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
19th November 2009, 19:46
Hello Satchuna, kumusta ka ? You have stimulated a few responses, we know ang galing mo, at ikaw ang bahala! I also wish you luck , ingat ka palagi!

joebloggs
19th November 2009, 22:41
nurses in 4yrs time will need a degree, this could be a problem for some future Filipino nurses as NARIC might say the degree they got in the phils is not equivalent to a UK degree.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/6547974/Nurses-will-need-a-degree-in-four-years.html

satchuna
20th November 2009, 04:20
tnx for all the responses.. though I am so aware of the disadvantages I about the face when I go to UK like those HIGH TAXES, cold weather plus homesickness, still I would love to work in UK compared here in the Philippines.. It's not because I don't love my country but I guess you already know the real score of nurses here.. We are working so hard as professionals but treated as housemaid by some employers plus with added housemaid rate salaries<sigh*> So for professional growth I am willing to face those challenges.. I believe many Filipinos still survived working in UK even though there are lots of disadvantages they need to consider:)

pennybarry
20th November 2009, 09:10
One would hope that a degree from the Philippines and two years' experience working in hospital there would be adequate, because that should ensure academic and practical knowledge. That should keep the Government, Royal College of Nursing, and the nursing unions Unison and Unite happy !

Is it one year experience or 2 years in order to register at NMC? I'm quite confuse. My niece has 2 years experience in a tertiary hospital and trying to register at NZ Nursing council. It is her choice but if she wants here, I will respect her decision.

tnx for all the responses.. though I am so aware of the disadvantages I about the face when I go to UK like those HIGH TAXES, cold weather plus homesickness, still I would love to work in UK compared here in the Philippines.. It's not because I don't love my country but I guess you already know the real score of nurses here.. We are working so hard as professionals but treated as housemaid by some employers plus with added housemaid rate salaries<sigh*> So for professional growth I am willing to face those challenges.. I believe many Filipinos still survived working in UK even though there are lots of disadvantages they need to consider:)

I feel your moan about the wages and treatment to our nurses there. In some hospital, they will not pay their 3 months training and will not include 3 months a working experience. If there's absence of nurse, they need to work straight 16 hours. If they leave their work for a day, they have written warning even not AWOL.That's the moans I heard from my niece. :angry:

There's really huge tax here and expensive rental accommodations, cold weather. I met 2 filipina nurses who gave up working here because they save nothing. But then I also met several nurses in Edinburgh and they still survive. Simple way of living, husband and wife both working and they can still send money to their love ones in Pinas.

Goodluck!

Doc Alan
20th November 2009, 09:49
Satchuna has had 2 years' experience but as far as I know the NMC requires only 1 year; however nurse training is of course under review. I would like to say as a newcomer to this forum how useful it is and thanks to all the other members who give up their time ....I always learn something new!