PDA

View Full Version : A Balanced View

Arthur Little
26th October 2009, 18:42
Watching last night's programme featuring Charley Boorman's stop-over in the Philippines, both Myrna and myself were disappointed that [as so often happens] the television producers and film crews failed to portray the inherent beauties of these islands to best advantage ... concentrating, for the most part, on 'Third World' images [wrongly] conveyed to westernised nations. :doh

Quite apart from focussing so much attention on the dare I say?) rather inept antics of the presenter, they completely overlooked the contrasting prosperity of the Commercial District in Makati ... where more than a few of the high-rise buildings rival any to be found in Manhattan.

And ... as I mentioned on another thread ... what about the many attractions of provinces like Davao ... and those abounding throughout the entire archipelago ... ???

From a diplomatic perspective, therefore, the whole episode would have been better-served by an infinitely more balanced view.

Ann07
26th October 2009, 18:55
Nice view there Arthur.

Honestly, its the first time we (me and Robert) enjoyed watching a show about the Philippines...for a changed:) We had watched all Charley and Ewan shows and now Charley is doing it alone. So we knew what to expect.

Arthur Little
26th October 2009, 19:42
Nice view there Arthur.

Thanks, Ann. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Honestly, its the first time we (me and Robert) enjoyed watching a show about the Philippines...for a changed:) We had watched all Charley and Ewan shows and now Charley is doing it alone. So we knew what to expect.

I'm glad you and Robert enjoyed it, Ann. Not having seen the rest of the series, I guess Myrna & I weren't sure what to expect. We DID watch Robson Green's fishing expedition to the Phils earlier this year ... but again, we'd hoped for more!

Would really love to see a programme depicting all aspects of the Filipino lifestyle at first hand ... as I'D experienced it.

Maybe one of these days ... :rolleyes:

Tawi2
26th October 2009, 20:08
I have a broadcast quality camera and shotgun-mike if your offering Arthur,I am sure you have more screen presence than Charlie and we can find far more interesting footage than a pinoy scrapyard :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

bornatbirth
26th October 2009, 20:43
i think you misunderstanding the program?

its called by any means....meaning to travel through the countries in as many different types of transport as possible which are used in those countries,i guess all the sight seeing is a bonus.

try reading the following links

http://www.bigearth.co.uk/site/microsites/By_Any_Means_2/index_microsite.php?target=Home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_Any_Means

Tawi2
26th October 2009, 20:48
I understand the concept,but if its "By any means" why is it normally motorbikes :Erm: Its still supposed to be an interesting travelogue which its not exactly living up to the hype,watch next week,I GUARANTEE he rides motorbikes :rolleyes:

bornatbirth
26th October 2009, 20:55
i guess he likes bikes :D

the program isnt interested in showing a well balanced view of the countries they are travelling in,just getting from a to b.

Tawi2
26th October 2009, 21:00
Not really,follow it from the beginning,yesterday he fished and visited a cockfight,not exactly getting from A-B is it?He stopped off at a hairdressers and did some more fishing this time on Camiguin with a net,they havent quite grasped the concept themselves,its neither a race nor a travelogue but trying rather unsuccessfully to be both,failing on both accounts :icon_lol:

bornatbirth
26th October 2009, 21:06
then dont watch it,if your expecting wickers world :D

Tawi2
26th October 2009, 21:12
Only watched it for Davao and sabong,didnt get either in the end :icon_lol: I think as a presenter he is floundering out of his depth,thats why I said arthur could do better :icon_lol:

Tawi2
26th October 2009, 21:26
I just realised,I might have to watch the repeat just to hear how many times he said ":censored: Hell" Pinas is the only country thats had that effect on him :icon_lol:

tommyw
26th October 2009, 21:33
I've actually warmed to Charlie Boorman.
I think he manages to express himself quite well now he's not playing 2nd fiddle.
I'm pleasantly surprised, he comes across quite well, seems like a decent guy.
Each to their own I suppose......

joebloggs
27th October 2009, 00:48
Watching last night's programme featuring Charley Boorman's stop-over in the Philippines, both Myrna and myself were disappointed that [as so often happens] the television producers and film crews failed to portray the inherent beauties of these islands to best advantage ... concentrating, for the most part, on 'Third World' images [wrongly] conveyed to westernised nations. :doh .

I've got a few tv programs on the Phils, nearly all of them are about terrorism, the sex trade or poverty in the phils :NoNo: no wonder the phils has a bad image problem with some members of the public :doh