PDA

View Full Version : Books and Movies

Amaw2008
20th October 2009, 11:55
For anyone seeking to understand the Philippine mind-set I would recommend watching "Filipina Dreamgirls", which is something of a cult movie among the Anglo-Philippine crowd (the whole film is viewable on youtube). My Mahal bought me a copy of Joze Rizal's book "Filibusterismo" which shows how heavily the Spanish taxed the Philippines, and how even in the 1800's the education was basically just that of the medieaval Catholic Church (there is another Rizal book called "Noli Me Tangere" which I haven't read yet). Last but not least, there is Timothy Mo's book "Brownout on Breadfruit Boulevard", which I found a good read and a good laugh. The wife of a politician manages to get an international confererence centre built in her city; there are several interesting sub-plots, a German professor with a rather strange fetish, and some of the characters have crazy surnames in Visayan. :xxgrinning--00xx3::ReadIt:

James Hubbard
20th October 2009, 12:02
Sounds fascinating. Thanks for the excellent details :D

Jay&Zobel
20th October 2009, 12:18
For anyone seeking to understand the Philippine mind-set I would recommend watching "Filipina Dreamgirls", which is something of a cult movie among the Anglo-Philippine crowd (the whole film is viewable on youtube). :xxgrinning--00xx3::ReadIt:

Hehe... lol, this was discussed in the thread below but I wouldn't suggest watching it... :D
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=15500&highlight=Filipina+Dreamgirls

Tawi2
20th October 2009, 12:19
I read Filibusterismo and Noli Me Tangere,both good reads:)Philippine dreamgirls is very entertaining,funny as a feather-tickle in some parts,its more about the eccentric brit guys than the girls themselves though,we have all met characters from that Movie at sometime or another :xxgrinning--00xx3:I have even seen a character type or two on this website :xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol: Worth watching again,it dates back to the days of the marriage clubs,I remember as a kid flicking through a catalogue in Manila :icon_lol:I wasnt looking,I was with an old brit guy from brighton,he had a girlfriend called gloria and told wild tales,probably dead now sadly :Erm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWaBKxKgbfg

KeithD
20th October 2009, 12:42
Understand Filipina's! :icon_lol: They are of the female species, they will never be understood :D

Sophie
20th October 2009, 13:15
Understand Filipina's! :icon_lol: They are of the female species, they will never be understood :D

very wise words :xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Jay&Zobel
20th October 2009, 13:23

Life isn't worth living without us... :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: