PDA

View Full Version : Norton 360 version 3

GaryFifer
18th October 2009, 16:06
Is this product good? I just curious about your experiences, as I had performance issues with Norton before.

aromulus
18th October 2009, 16:42
Wouldn't touch Norton or Macafee with a barge pole..:omg:
Absolute rubbish for the money you pay.

Avast and AVG, free versions perform much better.

I would gladly go back to them, but me laddo got me Karsperski a while ago, and as long as it is working fine it is staying.

JimOttley
18th October 2009, 17:00
Wouldn't touch Norton or Macafee with a barge pole..:omg:
Absolute rubbish for the money you pay.

Avast and AVG, free versions perform much better.

I would gladly go back to them, but me laddo got me Karsperski a while ago, and as long as it is working fine it is staying.

:iagree:

Me too, such a shame, long time ago Norton was a great company but now they just generate junk.

For paid AV solutions Trend AV are not bad but even they are going downhill these days.

Keep meaning to try AVG and I know a couple of businesses that are using Kaspersky.

Jim

les_taxi
18th October 2009, 17:02
I think norton is a lot better than in the past but if it's just a good a/v you want then nod is one of the very best you can get.norton always been bloated and uses a lot of system memory.

somebody
18th October 2009, 17:05
version 3 i belive is a lot faster than the version 2

i understand its not friendly with all browsers

aromulus
18th October 2009, 17:07
version 3 i belive is a lot faster than the version 2

I reckon it would work out something like that... Yes....:Erm:

somebody
18th October 2009, 17:11
I reckon it would work out something like that... Yes....:Erm:

not always the case AVG seems to be getting slow version by version as norton was.

I would always go with kaspersky:xxgrinning--00xx3: but my laptops all have sophos on so i can have the companies team, do all the scanning and checking on my behalf.

joebloggs
18th October 2009, 17:15
not always the case AVG seems to be getting slow version by version as norton was.

I would always go with kaspersky:xxgrinning--00xx3: but my laptops all have sophos on so i can have the companies team, do all the scanning and checking on my behalf.

nod32 the best, but me use AVG caz its free :D

aromulus
18th October 2009, 17:16

I would always go with kaspersky:xxgrinning--00xx3:

In the past I found that Avast and AVG free versions, worked beautifully in tandem, they didn't seem to clash at all. If one missed something, the other didn't, and with spydoctor in the background I felt totally safe.

somebody
18th October 2009, 17:29
nod32 the best, but me use AVG caz its free :D

For you not downloading bootlegs of Eighties games of p2p and rapidshare is probably the best way of ensuring your pc is compromised:D

JimOttley
18th October 2009, 17:54
Actually on most of my PC's I don't run any anti virus now, my machines are slow enough already ;)

I have gotten by for many many years with a good firewall and an extremely good sense for detecting a phishing email.

I never install games or unknown third party apps and it seems to work for me, it's quite a safe strategy if your machines are only used for work related stuff.

Jim

somebody
18th October 2009, 18:10
Actually on most of my PC's I don't run any anti virus now, my machines are slow enough already ;)

I have gotten by for many many years with a good firewall and an extremely good sense for detecting a phishing email.

I never install games or unknown third party apps and it seems to work for me, it's quite a safe strategy if your machines are only used for work related stuff.

Jim

True i have to say of all the times i have been using pc's i have rarely seen viruses or trojans.

As work the big danger as all our emails are scanned twice it seems onces up and once on the way back. The big danger is USB sticks in the workplace:omg:

Firewall up to date software with fixes asap, being careful with the software loaded on and like you say using your common sense.

les_taxi
18th October 2009, 20:46
i use my pc for lots of things including newsgroups.nod 32 does the trick if i get anything dodgy,but (here he goes again)using windows 7 and firefox as well i have very few probs and my pc although modest runs fast.also webroot windows washers is a good program for clearing up bits of crap too.

KeithD
18th October 2009, 22:49
Outpost is the current top rated and I've been using if for nearly a year, no issues with slowness, and protects everything.

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 14:05
Outpost is the current top rated and I've been using if for nearly a year, no issues with slowness, and protects everything.

This one Keith? http://www.agnitum.co.uk/

Which one is best for home use Keith, the Pro?

I am sort of looking at Security packages in a different light as they hook on to so many background tasks and are always ON DEMAND scans which slow the whole system down. Mcafee has no less that 7 modules in background. PC Tools Security Suite slowed the computer right down. A2 squared free good but takes alot of updating initially

AVG 9 is not compatible with Zonealarm Free anymore. That is cynical changing that.:cwm12:

KeithD
19th October 2009, 14:16
I used the .com site, better offers :) http://www.agnitum.com/purchase/security-suite/

I bought the 2 year Security Suite pack for use on 3 PC's, works out very cheap compared to others.

les_taxi
19th October 2009, 14:19
This one Keith? http://www.agnitum.co.uk/

Which one is best for home use Keith, the Pro?

I am sort of looking at Security packages in a different light as they hook on to so many background tasks and are always ON DEMAND scans which slow the whole system down. Mcafee has no less that 7 modules in background. PC Tools Security Suite slowed the computer right down. A2 squared free good but takes alot of updating initially

AVG 9 is not compatible with Zonealarm Free anymore. That is cynical changing that.:cwm12:

thats the one but it's a personal choice.this is basically a top notch fwall.i dont worry bout firewall as i know what i'm dloading most of the time i prefer a good anti-virus of which nod 32 still seems to be the best.you can google lots of reviews and get a different answer as to which is the best a/v.(prob sponsorship deals no doubt)btw norton 360 gets quite good reviews seems to be vastly improved on various years.

KeithD
19th October 2009, 14:20
If you have a good firewall you don't really need an AV :)

Spyware Doctor is free and good enough for cleaing out ad cookies, and viruses.

walesrob
19th October 2009, 14:33
nod32 the best

:xxgrinning--00xx3: and only £24 a year

les_taxi
19th October 2009, 14:44
If you have a good firewall you don't really need an AV :)

Spyware Doctor is free and good enough for cleaing out ad cookies, and viruses.

yes partly true but fwalls learn as you go along,by then it can be too late unless your an experienced user.i don't have a fwall at all and my pc is clean as a whistle.and ahem as you know i do use newsgroups and regually sort friends pc-s out.i can put them fwalls on but it will warn them of a site but little jonny will still dload from dodgy site.then you need a top a/v and nod 32 is generally reckoned to be one of the very best.

GaryFifer
19th October 2009, 21:38
AVG 9 is not compatible with Zonealarm, that was a pain in the backside. Good firewall Keith, I am enjoying the wealth of info on this one.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

AVG 9 has a fast scanner, but incompatibility is a pain in the :butthead:

Now I going to try Microsoft Security Essentials.:omg: microsoft.

http://download.cnet.com/8301-2007_4-10362227-12.html?tag=mncol

somebody
19th October 2009, 21:54
You should do a port test although most viruses end up on the PC due to a dodgy USB stick or a file accepted and so allowed though or simply bypass the Firewall.

Most Routers have a Firewall bulit in using NAT and with one click your protect yourself from many baddies straight off.

Oldie but goldie

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Useful also

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

http://www.t1shopper.com/tools/port-scanner/

les_taxi
22nd October 2009, 16:15
i'm a nod 32 user as mentioned but i thought i would test out the norton internet security 2010 suite.seems quite good,easy to install,clean interface and not a big system hog,maybe they have learnt at last.got a 90 day trial so i will run it for a few days til i format and install my retail copy of windows 7.running on rtm copy of windows 7 at moment.

i like it! great interface,low resource usage and lots of options.i'm a big fan of nod 32 but i may be converted.seen on ebay great price £8.99 for 2 years for 3 pc! thats a bargain.you have to dload program from norton first then enter genuine keys.even if you dont get it it's worth a 30 day free trial anyway.i'm buying it as i have plenty of friends who will like this program plus i can make a few ££sss too:)

les_taxi
24th October 2009, 18:24
just to let you know i bought it £8.99 for use on 3 pcs with 2 year exp date,that works out at £1.50 per year per pc! thats value,installed on 2 pcs so far:)

somebody
24th October 2009, 18:29
i'm a nod 32 user as mentioned but i thought i would test out the norton internet security 2010 suite.seems quite good,easy to install,clean interface and not a big system hog,maybe they have learnt at last.got a 90 day trial so i will run it for a few days til i format and install my retail copy of windows 7.running on rtm copy of windows 7 at moment.

i like it! great interface,low resource usage and lots of options.i'm a big fan of nod 32 but i may be converted.seen on ebay great price £8.99 for 2 years for 3 pc! thats a bargain.you have to dload program from norton first then enter genuine keys.even if you dont get it it's worth a 30 day free trial anyway.i'm buying it as i have plenty of friends who will like this program plus i can make a few ££sss too:)

I think Norton had to get it slimmed down. I can remeber when Norton were the AV it was almost a term like Hoover or xerox. Ie im gonna Norton me pc.

Sounds like it maybe handy for families as its ensuring all PC's in the house are covered USB sticks, networked machines,dodgy internet pages, emails, and any other recordable media shared between pc's can lead to a serious infection.
If Johnny downloads a virus ridden screensaver or game and then you do the banking online:omg:

korki
25th October 2009, 16:54
I have the Norton Version 2 ( I cant ugrade it because it is a promotional product in which you cant make it upgrade, repair and other such things)

What i like about it is the Phising Protection on the browser which really helped me alot since i browse alot of sites.,
Norton is not that bad :)