PDA

View Full Version : My first trip to the Philippines

Northerner
7th October 2009, 11:34
20 days till I make my way to Manchester Airport to take that long journey around the world to see my mahal! And now the nerves are kicking in. :luv4:

I think it has been mentioned here before many times by various guys who went through what I am about to do, the moment leading up to meeting one another in person for the first time. Nervous as hell, but looking forward to it like a kid awaiting his birthday (wait, it will be my birthday :D:D:D:D:D:D)..

And so I plod along, trying to numb the nerves with overtime at work. Boy the next 20 days can't pass quick enough.

And still need to get some anti malaria tablets... :doh

whiteraven
7th October 2009, 11:39
been there done that, when you do finally meet you will wonder what you were worrying about in the first place. i hope your first meeting is as rewarding as mine:xxgrinning--00xx3:

triple5
7th October 2009, 11:50
Your nervous now?? Wait till that plane touches down! lol That was when it really hit me. Like Whiteraven says you'll soon be wondering what all the nerves were about.

Are malaria tablets necessary? I've never taken them as I've heard the side effects can be pretty bad (voices in your head, hair falling out). I guess it depends which parts your visiting?

whiteraven
7th October 2009, 11:57
hair falling out isnt a problem with me:D i didnt bother with anti malaria either as davao is low risk.

triple5
7th October 2009, 14:10
hair falling out isnt a problem with me:D i didnt bother with anti malaria either as davao is low risk.

I have a full head of hair, but the voices in my head wouldn't be anything new :icon_lol::Rasp: As it's Davao I'm going to in just under 2 weeks, that's good to know there's very little risk.

triple5
7th October 2009, 14:58
Thanks Mike, I have been before, which is just as well. If it was the first time I may have been put off by your advice :icon_lol:

monkeyface
7th October 2009, 15:21
20 days till I make my way to Manchester Airport to take that long journey around the world to see my mahal! And now the nerves are kicking in. :luv4:...............

............And still need to get some anti malaria tablets... :doh

Not sure about malaria tablets but better safe than sorry eh?:)

If I may advise, insect repellent lotion should come handy too. In our experience, mosquitoes seem to love foreign blood more. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Have a wonderful holiday!:)

pennybarry
7th October 2009, 16:04
Goodluck to your trip Northerner, but I don't think you really need to take your Malaria tablets.
My husband took some and he never used it. The side effect is bad if you take it if no mosquitoes carrying malaria.:D:Erm:
Just take more chockies for her.:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 16:12
Whiteraven & Triple5.. I guess you guys know what I mean....... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

MikeMallorca. Trust me, I'm going nowhere near the ladies of the night :NoNo:

Monleyface. Yeah, I will take along some super strength insect repellant. Think I'll need it for the ALTA resort (http://www.cebugardenresort.com/resort.html)

Pennybarry. :D Thanks.. Oh, the chocolates have already been planned.. Galaxy bars are a definite. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

monkeyface
7th October 2009, 16:25
Monleyface. Yeah, I will take along some super strength insect repellant. Think I'll need it for the ALTA resort (http://www.cebugardenresort.com/resort.html)
:

That place looks really nice. I haven't been to Cebu yet. I'm planning a getaway there and that is in the list I'm planning to go to now. Thanks.:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 16:29
Once I am there I will send a report back to say how it was.. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Florge
7th October 2009, 16:29
When you arrive in Ninoy Aquino Airport, you will have the biggest culture shock of you live. Manila has the worst international airport in Asia. They have built a new one that has been standing empty for 5 years, because of corruption charges and bad construction , but once you get to Davo, its different... All i can say is be on your guard, dont be a stupid tourist, and take nothing at face value...A life is cheap in the philippines , and people are desperate, as soon as they see a foreigner , to them its money money.. So be very aware, dont let your parts below the waist take over from your brain. i f you know what i mean

are you referring to terminal 3? we're already using it... for like.. 3 years now I think...

RickyR
7th October 2009, 16:34
It's not as scary as it seems, relax have a few drinks on the plane. Terminal 1 at Manila is a bit different, but despite a queue the immigration will be easy, you'll maybe have you bags checked, and then outside to see your mahal!
Just relax a little and try and be comfortable as can be, and let your mahal do all the negotiating etc, its easier that way :-) Where abouts are you going?

RickyR
7th October 2009, 16:35
Oh yes and Terminal 3 is great (not abandoned), but is exclusively Cebu Pacific. It really is a first world terminal.

James Hubbard
7th October 2009, 17:40
When you arrive in Ninoy Aquino Airport, you will have the biggest culture shock of you live. Manila has the worst international airport in Asia. They have built a new one that has been standing empty for 5 years, because of corruption charges and bad construction , but once you get to Davo, its different... All i can say is be on your guard, dont be a stupid tourist, and take nothing at face value...A life is cheap in the philippines , and people are desperate, as soon as they see a foreigner , to them its money money.. So be very aware, dont let your parts below the waist take over from your brain. i f you know what i mean

Northerner,

What Mike says is very true. It cuts in every sphere in life in the Phils (especially in cities like manila, cebu, davao) ...

It's not to do with ladies of the night. Just don't trust anyone this time around . . . no matter how good of a feeling you get about what ppl say about you.

Remember this (From someone who lives in the philippines - now for a year)

You as a Foreigner stick out like a sore thumb. Everybody will be hitting you up for money. No joke. It's just as bad as everyone says, maybe moreso some days. You must ALWAYS watch your back.

Also, a few years ago when I first came to Philippines, a friend advised me ... do not throw around your money. Even with your gf/fiancee, because people here have the idea that ALL foreigners are by birthright rich, and that they deserve for you to ... :REGamblMoney01HL1::REGamblMoney01HL1::REGamblMoney01HL1:

I have lived in the same city for a year, yet, when I walk into a shop and see dollar signs in pplz eyes. Even though i'm tihik (that's deep bisaya word your gf can translate).

All I'm saying is this, be very very cautious.

Also, no malaria in Philippines. Some lamok (mosquitoes) carry Dengue flu, but there's not much you can take to prevent that ... also no need to worry about yellow fever meds as you're coming from the UK.

Usually, the worst a mosq can do is make you itch for 3 days to a week ...

Tell your girlfriend to buy some "Off Lotion" ... it works a treat. Apply it every 8 hours and you're sound as a pound ...

after a cpl weeks you don't need it anymore :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jim Hub

triple5
7th October 2009, 18:36
Good advice James. I've only been to Davao for 2 weeks, but spent 3 years in Thailand, and guess the mentality is the same. White face = moneybags.

I always make a point of not being flash with the cash. In fact, it didn't go down too well when the lady I met there last time invited 12 of her family to dinner with us at the last moment and I only had enough in my wallet for the 2 of us :icon_lol:

If you're not careful you can grow resentful after awhile and begin thinking that all the smiles and friendliness is fake and they're just after your cash. Which, of course, isn't true. Thais and Filipinos are genuinely friendly. When that kind of paranoia starts creeping in, though, it can be a lonely experience. That's why you see a lot of bitter sad-looking old expats in these countries. Most of the expats I met in Thailand who had been there more than 20 years despised the Thais and were so distrusting of them. But by then they've burned there bridges back home so they're kind of stuck there.

Anyways, Northerner's got his head screwed on and you can tell he's done his homework. He'll be fine :xxgrinning--00xx3:

darren-b
7th October 2009, 18:36
are you referring to terminal 3? we're already using it... for like.. 3 years now I think...

It's being used but only since July last year - so just over a year.

whiteraven
7th October 2009, 19:04
it does get some getting used to being stared at wherever you go but i didnt take much notice after a while.one bit of advice dont give beggars any money however sorry you may feel for them or you will get swamped:yikes:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 19:06
Thanks for the info James. I've been to Thailand before so the culture shock of seeing so many people with far less money than myself should not be too strange. I will always remember the beggars on the streets of Bangkok, and when a young boy tried in vain to sell me flowers (I gave him my change but bought nothing). So I would imagine that Cebu will be similar. As for Manila, all I will see of that city is the journey from one terminal to another. Not really hanging round as there is nothing for me to see or do there when my Mahal is many miles down south.

I can see how many expats get upset when every day somebody begs them for money, but these days it is the same in Manchester. Except I know the beggars are often earning more than some working folk (Once saw a beggar count about £50 from his day collecting £1 coins)! But then they probably lack the empathy most of us have.. I could imagine what it would be like if I were in those shoes, so who am I to judge? :Erm:

As for flashing my cash.. Well, it seems I have not saved as much as I had first wished for. I will be taking about £1100 with me and only the first 3 nights paid for. Now I know that is plenty and considering my mahal is demanding that I not take her any place fancy, that should be more than enough.. Even with my planned Lechon feast for her relatives.

And triple5 you're right, I have done my homework and I have no doubts I will be fine:xxgrinning--00xx3:

GaryFifer
7th October 2009, 19:17
20 days till I make my way to Manchester Airport to take that long journey around the world to see my mahal! And now the nerves are kicking in. :luv4:

I think it has been mentioned here before many times by various guys who went through what I am about to do, the moment leading up to meeting one another in person for the first time. Nervous as hell, but looking forward to it like a kid awaiting his birthday (wait, it will be my birthday :D:D:D:D:D:D)..

And so I plod along, trying to numb the nerves with overtime at work. Boy the next 20 days can't pass quick enough.

Ya I went on February 14th. And February 20th is also my birthday, so double celebrations!!:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:

You will be fine. I suggest you look over the guide on-site about Manila airport. When you come out of the airport, your mahal will be hidden from you behind the gates,so she can be hard to spot.

I suggest you get a the important jab from your local GP.

Tetanus was given to me with the Diphtheria in the same jab. This was a booster. You may be different. Ask.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Malaria- Note- If you are on any anti-epileptic drugs you have to be careful with Malaria jabs. No Quinine derivatives are allowed because of side-affects.

Drugs are Malarone, Doxycycline or Lariam. The tablets are a bit yucky though and leave coating on the tongue. I did not like them.

First thing that hits you when you walk out of the airport is the heat, it is like walking into a oven.

I know when I first met Jessica, I heard a voice say Hello Love, I look around for who said that?:Erm: nothing. Then I look down and see her.

On a personal note- trust me, you will need lots of water and CR paper ;)
In your wallet. do not carry more than any more than 1000. That's pretty much what you need. But if you are in Manila that will rise to 5000. Jeepney's are 7.50. Unless they risen in price.

Take a little first aid kit with you. I did not realise I would use it antiseptic cream, plasters(never know you can get cut in yer feet) Imodium ;) re hydration salts, and I also got some cheap HOT LEMON for a cold. Jessica got that.

You got any decent sandals yet? here ya go:
http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Fzv&q=mens+sandals&revid=102910977&resnum=0&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=JdjMSsLADJmRjAf5-b2oDw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4

Oh another thing I remember. I managed to get a thing out of BOOTS called MOSQUITO cloth. It was a nice big cloth with insecticide on it, which you rub on your skin, and the little fliers hate it. It was useful for wiping my brow too. I was suggest you get one. I do not know it they have them at Boots.

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 19:17
it does get some getting used to being stared at wherever you go but i didnt take much notice after a while.one bit of advice dont give beggars any money however sorry you may feel for them or you will get swamped:yikes:
I always give kids cash,I cant help it,I was in Cebu once and saw two kids who I took to be siblings begging,I gave them 100 pesos hoping they werent going to spend it on rugby,I passed that way 20 minutes later they were sitting in the doorway eating fish BBQ,they gave me the international thumbs-up sign:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:At the time the exchange rate was 106 or 108?to the pound,so all I had given them was a quid,didnt mean much to me but an awful lot to the recipients :)

James Hubbard
7th October 2009, 19:30
Thanks for the info James. I've been to Thailand before so the culture shock of seeing so many people with far less money than myself should not be too strange. I will always remember the beggars on the streets of Bangkok, and when a young boy tried in vain to sell me flowers (I gave him my change but bought nothing). So I would imagine that Cebu will be similar. As for Manila, all I will see of that city is the journey from one terminal to another. Not really hanging round as there is nothing for me to see or do there when my Mahal is many miles down south.

I can see how many expats get upset when every day somebody begs them for money, but these days it is the same in Manchester. Except I know the beggars are often earning more than some working folk (Once saw a beggar count about £50 from his day collecting £1 coins)! But then they probably lack the empathy most of us have.. I could imagine what it would be like if I were in those shoes, so who am I to judge? :Erm:

As for flashing my cash.. Well, it seems I have not saved as much as I had first wished for. I will be taking about £1100 with me and only the first 3 nights paid for. Now I know that is plenty and considering my mahal is demanding that I not take her any place fancy, that should be more than enough.. Even with my planned Lechon feast for her relatives.

And triple5 you're right, I have done my homework and I have no doubts I will be fine:xxgrinning--00xx3:

hey dude,

It's good that you've been to places like this before and have experiences ... I am sure you will be alright :D you know what you're doing mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

like tawi said, in cebu dude, most of the kids who're asking you for dosh will just spend it on rugby ( glue sniffing ) ... if they look hungry, and you're the charitable sort, just get em a burger from McD or Jolibees.

Ya, it's good to know wot you're in for. ... for me it was my first time to the 3rd wrld and my (now) wife knew it. . . . so she cushioned me (at that time :Erm:)

Look if you have a thousand quid to play with, just pretend you have a hundred when you get to the Philippnes.

Also ... when your lovely gf/fiancee is negotiating price, get the heck out of sight until she's finished, or an extra 0 will be added to the end of every purchase!

I remember the first time I came here, I went to the okay okay (second hand charity shop thing) ... and I asked the price of a big big teddy bear. They told me like, 1200 pesos!
Then mama *mother in law now* went a few hours later and asked and the Pinoy price was like 250 pesos! LoL!

Just watch out, it's ok if you don't care, but don't set a precedent that people can take advantage of you, coz they will. Over and over again!

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 19:34
If your ever in Manila freddy does or rather used to do(maybe still does)stints in LA Cafe(I feel old,remember when it used to be called the infamous Rosies Diner),listen to the lyrics,everyone needs a little help when they are down,we are lucky in this country,we have a cradle-grave social safety-net,pinas doesnt have that luxury,I couldnt walk past a hungry kid,my conscience wouldnt allow it :NoNo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhdwePRxU8U

les_taxi
7th October 2009, 19:44
good luck you will be fine.1 year ago it was the same for me my first trip (davao)i was thinking what if she don't like me,will i get malaria etc etc.it was fantastic had drinks on plane tired but once i stepped out of airport to meet her it was wonderful.don't over think it it's a lot easier than you imagine.i would not use anti malaria tablets,unless you in jungle area they can cause problems as described.i wish i was going this month again!
have a great time :)

islander
7th October 2009, 19:45

Hi northerner!

Good Luck & Enjoy each other's company!

Btw, with regards to mosquitoes, my husband has a good strategy to that, he used to put both OFF lotion & insect repellant spray coz as what he said, "if one doesn't work, there's still other one on" I think it work well on him, not on his first visit though. hehehe!

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 19:48

More like 18 months but only for internal flights so far I think.

Jim

James Hubbard
7th October 2009, 19:52

Jim

its a small consolation whatever it is, the first time I came here I was put thru hell in manila airport due to the gross inefficiency there :)

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 20:06
I always give kids cash,I cant help it,I was in Cebu once and saw two kids who I took to be siblings begging,I gave them 100 pesos hoping they werent going to spend it on rugby,I passed that way 20 minutes later they were sitting in the doorway eating fish BBQ,they gave me the international thumbs-up sign:xxgrinning--00xx3::icon_lol:At the time the exchange rate was 106 or 108?to the pound,so all I had given them was a quid,didnt mean much to me but an awful lot to the recipients :)

I always give kids cash too but we did that in Cebu once against the advice of our taxi driver and suffered the most aggressive begging I have ever seen anywhere :(

No joke 20 to 30 children swarmed around us pulling at us, hands out, no way we had enough for all of them, Ana was trying to stop them and get them to be fair and reasonable, really horrendous experience, we basically had to run away, never had as bad an experience anywhere in Manila.

I'm sure you will be fine Northerner but as others say just stay alert and anyway you've still got three weeks we will all be going through all this again with you in two :icon_lol:

Jim

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 20:09
its a small consolation whatever it is, the first time I came here I was put thru hell in manila airport due to the gross inefficiency there :)

What did they do to you? :Erm:

Longest I've ever taken to get off the plane and into a taxi was about 45 minutes, it's not very pretty but it seems to work well enough.

Jim

lizaphil
7th October 2009, 20:10

hello northener,dont worry about mosquitoes just put loads of off lotion
that is anti mosquitoes you can buy any of the pharmacy in the philipines:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 20:12
That also happened to me earlier this year in Fuente outside Robinsons Jim,I gave a small boy 100 pesos(he had a cheeky grin,funny kid)suddenly I was swamped by a shedload of bairns :icon_lol:

James Hubbard
7th October 2009, 20:22
What did they do to you? :Erm:

Longest I've ever taken to get off the plane and into a taxi was about 45 minutes, it's not very pretty but it seems to work well enough.

Jim

the first time I went there ... all of the toilets were "temporarily out of service" (for the last 8 years) ...

the elevators were broke, so I needed to go up like, 4 flights of stairs carrying my baggage, which after 20 hours of journeying was quite bad! lolz,

the current airport now is nice coz i get to the domestic to go to cebu/dumaguete. ... which is N1C3! Jolibee, Mr Donut etc, but it's still got a long way to go! :)

Sophie
7th October 2009, 20:28

Wow, a little over 2 weeks and you'll be with your girl already :):)
Hope the weather will be clear when you get there so you can both have a great time and explore philippines more :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 20:36
the first time I went there ... all of the toilets were "temporarily out of service" (for the last 8 years) ...

the elevators were broke, so I needed to go up like, 4 flights of stairs carrying my baggage, which after 20 hours of journeying was quite bad! lolz,

the current airport now is nice coz i get to the domestic to go to cebu/dumaguete. ... which is N1C3! Jolibee, Mr Donut etc, but it's still got a long way to go! :)

Ah I see :) only ever used the loo's in the upstairs lounges on the way out of the country and they've always been fine.

That reminds me Gary is right, always carry toilet paper wherever you go Northerner because it's a rare occasion that you will ever find any for free in a toilet anywhere.

You will even have trouble in nice restaurants, in fact don't expect very nice toilets anywhere even in the nice restaurants. :D

Jim

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 20:42
That also happened to me earlier this year in Fuente outside Robinsons Jim,I gave a small boy 100 pesos(he had a cheeky grin,funny kid)suddenly I was swamped by a shedload of bairns :icon_lol:

Don't really know Cebu very well Tawi, only been there once, it happened to us at the Santo Nino Basilica next to Magellan's Cross, trouble is it was breaking my heart that I could not help them at the same time that I was getting really upset at the behaviour :(

Jim

Northerner
7th October 2009, 20:46
Wow, a little over 2 weeks and you'll be with your girl already :):)
Hope the weather will be clear when you get there so you can both have a great time and explore philippines more :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:D:D:D:xxgrinning--00xx3: Thanks Sophie... I also hope the weather is good. Although if I have to spend a few days holed up in some room whilst a tropical storm heads over us.. Then at least I have company:Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
7th October 2009, 20:55
:D:D:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:whilst a tropical storm heads over us.. Then at least I have company:Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Most Important Thing brother.

Remember that :):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 20:59

I could do with the excercise :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::REGamblMoney01HL1::REGamblMoney01HL1::REGamblMoney01HL1:

Sophie
7th October 2009, 21:01
:D:D:D:xxgrinning--00xx3: Although if I have to spend a few days holed up in some room whilst a tropical storm heads over us.. Then at least I have company:Erm::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Perfect time to cuddle up :xxgrinning--00xx3::D:D

somebody
7th October 2009, 21:34
Think most of the practical advice has been covered apart from be careful with your vauables. Touchy subject but distant family or friends may wish to borrow some items which you have spare..

On the first trip even though i had a new frangled camera phone and bought a new digital camera with me. We took far to few pictures sounds silly but the time will fly and before you know it your be back in rainy Manchester:bigcry:

Dont forget to be practical keep receipts, tickets stubs for plane, not really needed but just in case.. Ensure you get pictures together not hard normally has im sure sometimes your have family or friends around. If you get the chance back up them photos just in case camera is seperated from you:omg:

Also always nice to get a cheap disposal camera or if you have an old film camera although maybe harder to find in the uk than even just a few years back.
Leaving some pictures with your mahal and family is a lovely gift and saves time going to internet cafe and making some dodgy prints.

Also handy for application time:D

Dont forget to check out the duty free not sure about cebu but manila has a huge one a short drive from the Airport. Like no Duty free you will have seen, choclate, corn beef and coffe far more important to sales than beer or wine it seems:D A six pack of coffemate or corn beef goes far further with many families than booze.

Dont forget to buy pressies for all the family, if people dont get a pressie they will feel left out. But does not need to be much by Brit standards.

Budget your money, far nicer to send some of the family to the sari sari for a bottle of coke and some snacks or get a big tin of ice cream and sit with the family than go out every night. Get to know the family in there surroundings not in a Jolibees.

As you know dont assit going to the market or shops locally it will increase prices once you go home sometimes:NoNo:

Let a phill argue/haggle on your behalf, trust me it will get heated now and then.

Northerner
7th October 2009, 21:40
Think most of the practical advice has been covered apart from be careful with your vauables. Touchy subject but distant family or friends may wish to borrow some items which you have spare..

On the first trip even though i had a new frangled camera phone and bought a new digital camera with me. We took far to few pictures sounds silly but the time will fly and before you know it your be back in rainy Manchester:bigcry:

Dont forget to be practical keep receipts, tickets stubs for plane, not really needed but just in case.. Ensure you get pictures together not hard normally has im sure sometimes your have family or friends around. If you get the chance back up them photos just in case camera is seperated from you:omg:

Also always nice to get a cheap disposal camera or if you have an old film camera although maybe harder to find in the uk than even just a few years back.
Leaving some pictures with your mahal and family is a lovely gift and saves time going to internet cafe and making some dodgy prints.

Also handy for application time:D

Dont forget to check out the duty free not sure about cebu but manila has a huge one a short drive from the Airport. Like no Duty free you will have seen, choclate, corn beef and coffe far more important to sales than beer or wine it seems:D A six pack of coffemate or corn beef goes far further with many families than booze.

Dont forget to buy pressies for all the family, if people dont get a pressie they will feel left out. But does not need to be much by Brit standards.

Budget your money, far nicer to send some of the family to the sari sari for a bottle of coke and some snacks or get a big tin of ice cream and sit with the family than go out every night. Get to know the family in there surroundings not in a Jolibees.

As you know dont assit going to the market or shops locally it will increase prices once you go home sometimes:NoNo:

Let a phill argue/haggle on your behalf, trust me it will get heated now and then.

Thanks... Excellent advice:xxgrinning--00xx3: Until today I never thought of letting Rizza do the haggling, but from now on I guess she is the boss:D

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 21:51
let your gf handle the money and pay for everything,i always let my wife do before we married,she seemed to like it.

where are you changing your money?

i always found the local money changers in the malls the best but you still need to shop around,why not ask your gf to ask around to see who gives the best rate?

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 21:54
Best rate in Cebu I always find is in the money-changing booth downstairs in the foodhall in Robinsons fuente,just look for the queue of people clutching dollars or euros :)

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 21:54
Thanks... Excellent advice:xxgrinning--00xx3: Until today I never thought of letting Rizza do the haggling, but from now on I guess she is the boss:D

Don't try to haggle yourself mate, in general they won't take it all that well but hopefully Rizza will be good at haggling :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ana can be sometimes, she's better at it when it's something she wants though :D after a few seconds looking at something she says "discount" and laughs :icon_lol: works remarkably often even when I'm there :D

Jim

Northerner
7th October 2009, 21:55

i always found the local money changers in the malls the best but you still need to shop around,why not ask your gf to ask around to see who gives the best rate?

I was thinking of changing my money over here before I go, with just a few pounds to get me by. Then I was planning to leave most of it with Rizzas' account so there would be no fluctuating charges each time we go to the ATM machine.:Erm:

Or might keep a few hundred in my account so we have 2 ATM cards and some cash:xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 21:59
let your gf handle the money and pay for everything,i always let my wife do before we married,she seemed to like it.

Agreed local money changers in the malls are usually about 2 peso off the quoted exchange rate.

A few years ago the rate seemed to get set at the start of the week and would remain constant, we had a really good money changer on the ground floor of the Condo tower block we lived in and that was they way they worked but at one point at least last year when the rate was plummeting badly it was being updated daily at all the money changers.

Jim

GaryFifer
7th October 2009, 21:59
Don't try to haggle yourself mate, in general they won't take it all that well but hopefully Rizza will be good at haggling :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ana can be sometimes, she's better at it when it's something she wants though :D after a few seconds looking at something she says "discount" and laughs :icon_lol: works remarkably often even when I'm there :D

Jim

Ah, will we tell him how much for a taxi.

Northerner
7th October 2009, 22:01

Jim

I never had the heart to haggle too much. One of my friends whose family are from India once told me how he did it... And so I tried. :rolleyes:

There in Bangkok, I was with some stall holder trying to sell me a *genuine* Rolex watch. With every price he offered I said "lower!", until at the end I felt so sorry trying to get this guy down like a hardcore haggler. And just said "ok, ok.. What price you want?".. I haggle a little, try and get a T-shirt thrown in after buying 2, but I know they are still making a nice profit from me. And good on them:xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:01
I was thinking of changing my money over here before I go, with just a few pounds to get me by. Then I was planning to leave most of it with Rizzas' account so there would be no fluctuating charges each time we go to the ATM machine.:Erm:

Or might keep a few hundred in my account so we have 2 ATM cards and some cash:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Change it here and it will cost you a fortune you will be lucky to get a number in the mid 60's just now.

Tricky as it's your first trip but I would still take some UK cash and change it there.

Jim

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 22:03
get her to see the rates at the malls first before you change it here first,i have always got a far better rate at the malls there and never take any peso with me as my wife picks me.....then my money gets handed over to the boss(my wife) not keith and we go exchange it.

where are you thinking of exchanging it?

GaryFifer
7th October 2009, 22:06
[QUOTE=bornatbirth;180190]get her to see the rates at the malls first before you change it here first,i have always got a far better rate at the malls there and never take any peso with me as my wife picks me.....then my money gets handed over to the boss(my wife) not keith and we go exchange it.

Your wife runs the site not keith :yikes:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 22:08
get her to see the rates at the malls first before you change it here first,i have always got a far better rate at the malls there and never take any peso with me as my wife picks me.....then my money gets handed over to the boss(my wife) not keith and we go exchange it.

where are you thinking of exchanging it?

Cool idea... I will:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I keep a tab on the moneysupermarket website to see who is offering the best deal, and yep.. Right now it is not looking too good.

But what if I turned up in Cebu with £1000 in sterling? Going into a local exchange place with that?:yikes: From what I have read I might go away with a few light notes...

:Erm:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:09
Ah, will we tell him how much for a taxi.

I have GPS to check where they are taking me but I know the geography now :D

Rizza always pays for the taxi, that should be the rule :D

If they think they can get away with it the meter will not get switched on and they will be looking for 400-500 peso for even a short trip.

Short trip of a mile or two should only be 50 to 60 peso in Manila.

A six mile trip from Malate to Las Pinas is around 200 peso in Manila these days not sure about the other provinces.

Jim

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 22:11
Your wife runs the site not keith :yikes:

my wife is my boss but not the boss of this site :D

shes always telling me what to do :Erm: have i been married to long?

whiteraven
7th October 2009, 22:12
i tend to take a lot of cash and change it in the local stores as others have said get a much better rate. i gave my lady my wallet and let her pay for everything, that earned me a lot of brownie points.

RickyR
7th October 2009, 22:14
Lots of good advice on here, but honestly don't let it scare you and make you paranoid. It's people just wanting to remind you to go in with your eyes open and a bit of caution. I think triple5's advice about people who take it all the wrong way and grow resentful is right, and something to be careful of. A good book if you've been to Thailand is "Private Dancer", but I'm sure you know already that Thai and Pinoy are completely different cultures.

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:16

I keep a tab on the moneysupermarket website to see who is offering the best deal, and yep.. Right now it is not looking too good.

But what if I turned up in Cebu with £1000 in sterling? Going into a local exchange place with that?:yikes: From what I have read I might go away with a few light notes...

Never change it all at once, apart from anything else you might not spend it all.

These days the rates not great so change maybe 200 quid at a time, the mall vendors are often in a little wooden cubicle with a glass front and you might not feel comfortable but they are almost always honest.

I've only ever suffered an attempted scam once at a money changierthat did not have a name on the front, looked respectable but wasn't, we got the Police on them and got our money back there and then had a police escort to a good money changer :D

The scam was hand over X they take it into the back shop come back and say it was X-100 :D I blew my top as did Ana :D

Jim

GaryFifer
7th October 2009, 22:21
Remember when you are in the plane, they give you a piece of paper, before landing explaining the reason for your trip. It's irksome after a long sleep, pens are given out by the stewardess, and writing in such a small space sucks.

Anyways, then you will need to stand in the que to get you passport/papers checked and you must have this crazy NBI paperwork.

aposhark
7th October 2009, 22:22
... All i can say is be on your guard, dont be a stupid tourist, and take nothing at face value...A life is cheap in the philippines , and people are desperate, as soon as they see a foreigner , to them its money money.. So be very aware, dont let your parts below the waist take over from your brain. i f you know what i mean

:REGamblMoney01HL1: :REGamblMoney01HL1: :REGamblMoney01HL1:

:iagree:

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 22:23

i have exchanged that much before,just count it at the counter and you can count what they give you,they dont mind :xxgrinning--00xx3: i never got sort changed :D

Rizza always pays for the taxi, that should be the rule :D

If they think they can get away with it the meter will not get switched on and they will be looking for 400-500 peso for even a short trip.

Short trip of a mile or two should only be 50 to 60 peso in Manila.

always let your gf to pay for the taxi and let her get in first...and always get the meter to start.

somebody
7th October 2009, 22:23
Remember when you are in the plane, they give you a piece of paper, before landing explaining the reason for your trip. It's irksome after a long sleep, pens are given out by the stewardess, and writing in such a small space sucks.

Anyways, then you will need to stand in the que to get you passport/papers checked and you must have this crazy NBI paperwork.

In fact on the way in and out make sure you have a pen. on my way out of phill i didn't have a pen and had to borrow one from this guy who had to stand an wait for me to complete.

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:25

I always thought this was a pointless piece of paper but then I discovered that we have landing cards for foreigners too :D

There are actually two pieces of paper the landing card and the customs declaration, customs declaration is the last thing that gets handed over as you exit the airport.

They are both almost exactly the same, Name Address in UK, Address in Phils occupation, birth country passport number, airport of origin and so on.

Jim

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 22:27
In fact on the way in and out make sure you have a pen. on my way out of phill i didn't have a pen and had to borrow one from this guy who had to stand an wait for me to complete.

me too!

on my first trip i never had one and didnt keep the address of where i was staying :doh

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:30
me too!

on my first trip i never had one and didnt keep the address of where i was staying :doh

You also have to be able to write in 5pt text as the boxes are so small :icon_lol:

I am convinced that no one ever reads these cards, the guys that take the customs cards from you look so bored it's unreal :D

Jim

aposhark
7th October 2009, 22:33
Best rate in Cebu I always find is in the money-changing booth downstairs in the foodhall in Robinsons fuente,just look for the queue of people clutching dollars or euros :)

After about 5 times of comparing rates to Robinsons and the money changer across the road, I never went to Robinsons...Too obvious there, IMO.

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:33
i have exchanged that much before,just count it at the counter and you can count what they give you,they dont mind :xxgrinning--00xx3: i never got sort changed :D

always let your gf to pay for the taxi and let her get in first...and always get the meter to start.

Yep, if they won't start the meter get out and get another taxi there will always be another along soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jim

GaryFifer
7th October 2009, 22:42
Oh they get read. Searching for a picture of one of these things. I found a 23 page document looking at immigration/migration in the United States. Wonder why they want to know what the Phils are up to?

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 22:43
Yep, if they won't start the meter get out and get another taxi there will always be another along soon :xxgrinning--00xx3:

all on the same short trip.

taxi 1.meter got started and cost 120 peso.

taxi 2.driver didnt start meter and said trip will cost 250,my wife cursed him and he got 100 peso.

taxi 3.driver didnt start meter but said give him what you think and said hes only been doing the job for 7 days and the taxi was falling to bits :icon_lol:
he got 150 peso.

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:43
After about 5 times of comparing rates to Robinsons and the money changer across the road, I never went to Robinsons...Too obvious there, IMO.

This is a good point the SM malls have their own SM money changing desks and these offer poor rates compared to the family businesses, I guess if these are Robinsons brand shops they might not be so good either :Erm:

The banks offer poor rates as well but the small family shops are usually good just check the rate and check the money you are given.

They will always give you a little chit with the conversion details on it, I've gotten good at doing the conversion in my head and counting as they count so I don't spend much time before the cash is in my pocket and I'm well away from there. :D

Always try to check the internet for the days rate, I use this one just now http://www.forexcult.com/charts.php?q=GBPPHP

Jim

RickyR
7th October 2009, 22:44
Whats strange that if you fly in/out of Terminal 1 from international you have a loooong form to fill in for immigration, but if you go into Terminal 3 from international its the new small form. If you try to use the T3 form in T1 they get confused!
And for putting where you stay, doesn't matter what country I goto I usually just write the Hilton whether i'm going there or not as i'm too lazy to fill in details.

Northerner
7th October 2009, 22:53
I guess no matter where you go these days you need to fill out those entry cards. So long as I get them on the flight it will save me a lot of bother! :ARsurrender:

As for the cash question... Well, now I think I might just exchange about £200 over here (or rather in the airport in Manila), then do the rest in the smaller places mentioned. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:54
all on the same short trip.

taxi 1.meter got started and cost 120 peso.

taxi 2.driver didnt start meter and said trip will cost 250,my wife cursed him and he got 100 peso.

taxi 3.driver didnt start meter but said give him what you think and said hes only been doing the job for 7 days and the taxi was falling to bits :icon_lol:
he got 150 peso.

Taxi story.

When I first went there I was rather overweight I got better for a couple of years but am going the other way again just now.

Ana has a terrible memory and was trying to get us to Intramuros but she gave the Taxi driver the wrong location and we ended up heading off in a really run down cab.

Anyway after a few minutes we started up a concrete ramp that had a bit of an incline, taxi gets slower and slower and finally stops right in the middle of a three lane highway on the wrong road as Ana has now remembered where we should be going :D the lad tries to get it in gear it stalls he tries again the clutch is burning I can smell it engine revving going nowhere. I realise that his clutch is stuffed and that nothing on earth is going to shift that taxi with my weight and Ana in it. :D

Another taxi pulls up behind us and stops on this three lane highway and beckons us over :D as I get out this lad car is suddenly free of my gravitational penalty and starts to move, Ana jumps out and I chuck 50 peso at the driver (we had only gone about 200 yards so he did alright :D)

Jumped into the next cab and were rescued :D

I always tip well if I am treated well and I tend to have sympathy for the nice guys driving the wrecks especially if they strike up a good conversation :D

Jim

Dedworth
7th October 2009, 22:55

Why would you want to walk around carrying that sort of wad ?. I know they are now starting to charge but I've always found it best to get £30 or £40 out of atm's as and when required with Nationwide FlexAccount card

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 22:57
I guess no matter where you go these days you need to fill out those entry cards. So long as I get them on the flight it will save me a lot of bother! :ARsurrender:

As for the cash question... Well, now I think I might just exchange about £200 over here (or rather in the airport in Manila), then do the rest in the smaller places mentioned. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

At first I thought 200 quid in the airport was maybe a bit much, the rate in NAIA is not much better than you will get in the UK but again it's your first trip and you need to get your feet under the rug so I think that's about right you can last a few days on that before you need to check out the other money changers. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jim

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 22:58

Across the road?At Fuente?Thats some size road :Erm:You mean right across the other side of the circle :Erm:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 23:00
Why would you want to walk around carrying that sort of wad ?. I know they are now starting to charge but I've always found it best to get £30 or £40 out of atm's as and when required with Nationwide FlexAccount card

Was going to put it all in Rizza's account. Then it costs just the ATM fees to get it out... Trust me, I would be crazy to just walk about with that on me..

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:03
Was going to put it all in Rizza's account. Then it costs just the ATM fees to get it out... Trust me, I would be crazy to just walk about with that on me..

You could transfer it before you go, withdrawal fees are only about 10 peso a transaction in the Phils. It will still cost you a good bit more than it will changing it on the ground but you would at least feel a bit more relaxed.

Jim

aposhark
7th October 2009, 23:04
Have a great time there, Northerner.
Enjoy your new love and the warmth of her affections will wash over you every minute.
A Filipina's warmth is something to behold and I was not prepared for that "Power Of Love".

Yes, take pics and start your Pic album off.

I never even had a kiss until I visited my wife's parents.
She was so shy and still is to a great extent.

I have chatted with other men who also have Filipina wives.....you really do have to be careful not standing on her toes or bumping hard into her as she is always next to you when you turn around.

I wish you lots of magical hours there, but don't think you know about it yet. It takes many visits to really start to understand there, but hopefully your guide will smooth your way with tender affection :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
7th October 2009, 23:05
Ummm.. So would I get a better deal transfering it to Rizza from over here?

Dedworth
7th October 2009, 23:06

Ok fine. If you've got a Nationwide card it looks like they are charging 1% which probably stacks up well compared with others

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:06

I've lost count of the number of times my UK Visa Debit card has set off a fraud alert in the UK even though I have told them in advance where I am and what I am doing, I am sick to death of the cost of the phone calls to get it all unblocked.

Some cards are better than others but none of them are great anymore :(

Jim

aposhark
7th October 2009, 23:08
Across the road?At Fuente?Thats some size road :Erm:You mean right across the other side of the circle :Erm:

Yes Tawi.
Over the bridge where the puppies are usually being sold and past the chemist on the corner. Past the hotel facing the circle and there is one not far.
Always a better rate IMO.

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:10

No that's what I was saying depends on what transfer methods you have available most are expensive.

I use Xoom but it's not cheap by the time you pay the conversion fee the charges and then the paypal fee :(

If you have access to remittance services of some banks it can be a lot cheaper something I really need to get set up given the way the currency is going :(

Jim

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 23:11
My mistake,I thought you mean DIRECTLY over the road facing robinsons,as in on the other side of the circle,your on about off to the right over the footbridge where the kids sleep at night,now I know the changers you mean.

Tawi2
7th October 2009, 23:12
DONT remitt via Farochilen :omg::NoNo:Your trip might be finished by the time your spends arrive there(if they ever do) :NoNo:

aposhark
7th October 2009, 23:14

IMO I would change £200 in the airport in Manila as that seemed a good rate when I was there some months ago.
In fact, the money changers in Manila city were worse than the airport.
Keep the rest on you and change when you want in the towns near to where your girlfriend will be.

Best of luck.

Northerner
7th October 2009, 23:15
Don't think I will risk transfering it all over... Just in case:)

Best to keep some cold, hard cash on me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:22
IMO I would change £200 in the airport in Manila as that seemed a good rate when I was there some months ago.
In fact, the money changers in Manila city were worse than the airport.
Keep the rest on you and change when you want in the towns near to where your girlfriend will be.

Best of luck.

Airport rates at NAIA are about 5 peso off the quoted rate for the day just now i.e. 70 peso to the pound will get you 65 peso to the pound. Most good family run money changers would give you 68 peso on the same day.

Money changers in Makati or in any entertainment district will be more likely to give you a tourist rate, anywhere off the beaten track will be pretty fair.

Northerner was I think asking if he should transfer all his cash direct from the UK which is better than the rate you will get changing cash in the UK but is not as good as changing cash in the Phils, obviously safer though.

Jim

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:22
Don't think I will risk transfering it all over... Just in case:)

Best to keep some cold, hard cash on me:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yep good idea mate :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jim

somebody
7th October 2009, 23:25
If iwas you make sure on your first journy you have some cash in your pocket I think technical you can bring 10 thousand in pesos in to the country. Ideal to have. You never know how you will feel after the journy seen some total wrecks on the plane with nerves about meeting up ,other people calm as a cucumber yet its there first journey over (learned from a quick convo)

The first time i went i was so glad i had some local currency in my pocket.

Also is it wise putting all your cash in one account? with one card?

aposhark
7th October 2009, 23:26
Airport rates at NAIA are about 5 peso off the quoted rate for the day just now i.e. 70 peso to the pound will get you 65 peso to the pound. Most good family run money changers would give you 68 peso on the same day.

Money changers in Makati or in any entertainment district will be more likely to give you a tourist rate, anywhere off the beaten track will be pretty fair.

Northerner was I think asking if he should transfer all his cash direct from the UK which is better than the rate you will get changing cash in the UK but is not as good as changing cash in the Phils, obviously safer though.

Jim

My experience with money changers was different to yours, Jim.
But that is what makes this forum tick :Rasp:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:29
If iwas you make sure on your first journy you have some cash in your pocket I think technical you can bring 10 thousand in pesos in to the country. Ideal to have. You never know how you will feel after the journy seen some total wrecks on the plane with nerves about meeting up ,other people calm as a cucumber yet its there first journey over (learned from a quick convo)

The first time i went i was so glad i had some local currency in my pocket.

I don't think they care how much you bring in as peso there are declaration limits such as 10,000 dollars equivalent where you must declare to customs on the way in but the 10,000 peso limit is on what you take out the country :D

That's why you should never change it all in one go as that way you have to spend it all until you have 10,000 peso left :D sometimes I've actually come home with UK money in my pocket :D

Not often though :D

Jim

Northerner
7th October 2009, 23:30

True...:cwm34::xxgrinning--00xx3: So perhaps it is best to take a small amount of cash and leave some in the bank. And also make sure some finds its way into Rizza's bank account. Say £400 in each account, then use them as we go:Erm:

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:35
My experience with money changers was different to yours, Jim.
But that is what makes this forum tick :Rasp:

Fair point, I was lucky for two and half years we had a great money changer on the ground floor, last couple of trips at Christmas and in March I had to change a little in NAIA as it was a weekend and I was not going to be able to get to a money changer easily before the Monday and it really cost me in NAIA :(

My comments are based on five years experience and sixteen trips but maybe I've just been lucky, there are after all thousands of money changers in the Phils :D

Main thing is always to be aware of the current international exchange rate then you can make the decision on the ground as to what is good value.

Jim

JimOttley
7th October 2009, 23:37
True...:cwm34::xxgrinning--00xx3: So perhaps it is best to take a small amount of cash and leave some in the bank. And also make sure some finds its way into Rizza's bank account. Say £400 in each account, then use them as we go:Erm:

Yes that is a good strategy!

Jim

bornatbirth
7th October 2009, 23:41
my wife ae always found the best money changers and i have never had a problem..maybe having her as a guide helps?

GaryFifer
8th October 2009, 00:23
I made sure I had the money in my wallet before I went. I just had no idea if International money is reliable there. You can never tell with ATM, power or banks in Philippines. I remember the 2nd time I went, I tried to withdraw money from Philippines ATM. Denied, from my own bank. Basically, a machine in the UK, searches for fraud and Philippines is a black-listed country. Ensure you tell you bank, credit card companies what dates you are going,so they know.

Another point to note. I was going to get some money in the UK from the high street from good source. M&S money. You may try them.

http://money.marksandspencer.com/travel/travel-money/currency-exchange-rates/

Northerner
8th October 2009, 00:30
I made sure I had the money in my wallet before I went. I just had no idea if International money is reliable there. You can never tell with ATM, power or banks in Philippines. I remember the 2nd time I went, I tried to withdraw money from Philippines ATM. Denied, from my own bank. Basically, a machine in the UK, searches for fraud and Philippines is a black-listed country. Ensure you tell you bank, credit card companies what dates you are going,so they know.

Another point to note. I was going to get some money in the UK from the high street from good source. M&S money. You may try them.

66.44 pesos to the £ :doh

And it was only a couple of months ago when it was sliding around 80 pesos.... :cwm24:

Dedworth
8th October 2009, 00:32

Looks like a contender for Rip Off Britain they are better at flogging overpriced sandwiches and sweatshop produced clothing have a look at

http://travelmoney.moneysavingexpert.com/

On the Euro Marks & 'Spensive 1.025 untold others 5 percent better at 1.072

JimOttley
8th October 2009, 00:45

As Northerner is going south, my advice is perhaps not so applicable as most of my experience is based around places in Luzon.

You are right about the UK banks and they will pull this crud even if you have told them where you are and on what dates, sometimes though the refusal is not a result of the problems on the UK systems but just communication problems in the Phils network, problem is it costs a fortune to call them to sort it out :(

Regards M&S they are offering 8 peso less than the published exchange rate today, that's a 10% charge :omg: most good places over there would offer 6 peso better unless everything has changed in the last 6 months!

You need to have some confidence that you can fix problems when you are there and Northerner's idea of splitting between cash, UK card and Phils card is the best option in my view.

I'm assuming Rizza has access to private internet i.e. internet at home as you don't want to do any personal banking from an internet cafe unless they let you plug in your own laptop and you know you have a good firewall. (beware key loggers!)

If she does have private internet or you can get a cafe that lets you plug in your own laptop then you can always do additional transfers from the UK via the likes of Xoom.

There are always ways to manage, you just have to think hard about where you are and what the problems might be.

I hope you are lucky mate and things are a lot cheaper in the south, Manila is not that cheap these days especially with the decline in the pound :(

Jim

JimOttley
8th October 2009, 00:46
66.44 pesos to the £ :doh

And it was only a couple of months ago when it was sliding around 80 pesos.... :cwm24:

At that time M&S would have been around 72 peso. :)

Jim

Dedworth
8th October 2009, 00:49
At that time M&S would have been around 72 peso. :)

Jim

M & S generate most of their profits from people with the word MUG tattooed on their forehead

GaryFifer
8th October 2009, 00:54
I would recommend loading your mahal card with some cash, that would come in handy too. If she has access to a PNB global Filipino card, it can have peso on it easily. And you can send remittance on it from a fee of £5 only. That could be an option before you go. Bare that in mind.

http://www.pnbeurope.com/GFMC.htm

Also , since you like your cereals, I was the same, I missed my regular one first thing in morning! Nestle are king in the Philippines, so there's no Kellogg for ya. Milk is fine I would recommend the New Zealand stuff though. I had Chinese milk as used by cosmonauts. Yuck, tasted like wallpaper paste. Never again.

Also if you can get Fiji apples, they are the best on earth. I wish I can get those again.

Northerner
8th October 2009, 01:03
Also , since you like your cereals, I was the same, I missed my regular one first thing in morning! Nestle are king in the Philippines, so there's no Kellogg for ya. Milk is fine I would recommend the New Zealand stuff though. I had Chinese milk as used by cosmonauts. Yuck, tasted like wallpaper paste. Never again.

Or I could use a carton of milo :Rasp::Rasp::Rasp:

JimOttley
8th October 2009, 01:13

For the most part the milk is awful, I know these are personal opinions but you just won't get anything like what you get in the UK.

UHT can be almost acceptable but as Gary says the Nestle empire rules and most their stuff is horrible :(

My son James loves Chuckie which is I think the equivalent of milo :) although until you mentioned it I had never heard of it :)

Jim

GaryFifer
8th October 2009, 01:17

Oh yeah. C2 you will drink alot of. Its quite nice. Iced tea various flavour. heres an example of the stuff you buy in shops. EXACTLY:

http://www.philgrocer.com/shopdisplaycategories.asp

This place is ridiculous expensive, but I only use it to look at the products. Remind myself whats out there. ;)

For some strange reason, they got Campbell soup all the way oot there?

Northerner
8th October 2009, 01:24
Tried milo in Thailand :) Figured it would be better than a vodka at the time! :D

Florge
8th October 2009, 02:40
bring cash... at least 800 pounds and try to work around that budget... if you feel there is a need to spend more, then you can withdraw from your ATM, but call your bank when you do... there are loads of decent money changers in Cebu... if you feel it isn't safe, go to SM Cebu's customer service.. they have money changing there.. or to a money changer in malls...

whenever my bf visits, i prepare and excel sheet of estimated cost on a per day basis.. with the activities/itinerary... with that, bf has a ballpark figure of how much cash he brings...

islander
8th October 2009, 18:48

Hi Northerner!

I'm from cebu as well. Me & my husband used to go to Mail&More-Ayala, they got the best exchange rates as we have tried comparing money changers rates before deciding to exhange especially large amount of money. I think Rizza knows where that is.

Good Luck!

Northerner
8th October 2009, 18:57
bring cash... at least 800 pounds and try to work around that budget... if you feel there is a need to spend more, then you can withdraw from your ATM, but call your bank when you do... there are loads of decent money changers in Cebu... if you feel it isn't safe, go to SM Cebu's customer service.. they have money changing there.. or to a money changer in malls...

whenever my bf visits, i prepare and excel sheet of estimated cost on a per day basis.. with the activities/itinerary... with that, bf has a ballpark figure of how much cash he brings...

Hmmm.. I like the spreadsheet idea:xxgrinning--00xx3: This was why I thought of putting cash in Rizza's account so we can use the ATM without the need to be on guard most the time with £££ in a money belt.

Hi Northerner!

I'm from cebu as well. Me & my husband used to go to Mail&More-Ayala, they got the best exchange rates as we have tried comparing money changers rates before deciding to exhange especially large amount of money. I think Rizza knows where that is.

Good Luck!

Thanks Islander :) I plan to head into Ayala on myfirst day to pick up essentials (toothpaste, few clothes and stuff). Might just pop by that place too. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

aposhark
9th October 2009, 21:19
One thing to remember for all of us:

If anyone is in a very small town or village in the provinces, there is a good chance they will not be able to change £ (English Pounds Sterling).

However, the $ (US Dollar) seems to be easy to change almost anywhere.

This really applies to people who like to get off the beaten track.

JimOttley
9th October 2009, 21:50

If anyone is in a very small town or village in the provinces, there is a good chance they will not be able to change £ (English Pounds Sterling).

Very good point!

Jim

Northerner
9th October 2009, 22:19

Hmmm.. Oh, I doubt I will be trying to change sterling in Barili :Erm::NoNo: Otherwise, I think you'd be right and I'd be stuck...

GaryFifer
9th October 2009, 22:38
I left a guard 1 pound Scottish note to tip. I wonder how much he will get for it.

Northerner
9th October 2009, 22:46
I left a guard 1 pound Scottish note to tip. I wonder how much he will get for it.

Well, not much I would have thought, but who knows:Rasp:

I once gave a Thai cabbie a £5 note as his ceiling was covered in various notes from all the countries his customers came from.. Oh, and he was also a policeman, so I think I might have bribed a policeman:Erm::D

GaryFifer
9th October 2009, 22:58
Well, not much I would have thought, but who knows:Rasp:

I once gave a Thai cabbie a £5 note as his ceiling was covered in various notes from all the countries his customers came from.. Oh, and he was also a policeman, so I think I might have bribed a policeman:Erm::D

A cabbie and a policeman. So what happens, if you pay him the fare not to go to jail, and ask him to drive you home, does he do that instead of arresting you :icon_lol:

Northerner
17th October 2009, 00:24
10 days till my flight :action-smiley-082:

triple5
17th October 2009, 05:32
3 days till mine :D starting to cack it a bit myself now haha but at the same time very excited :BouncyHappy:

Have a good trip Sean :xxgrinning--00xx3: Let us all know how you get on mate

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 10:35
A cabbie and a policeman. So what happens, if you pay him the fare not to go to jail, and ask him to drive you home, does he do that instead of arresting you :icon_lol:

I once had to pay the Taxi fare for myself and two arresting officers who were escorting me from a police station to a courthouse,luckily my offence was only a minor pecadillo and I walked out a free man :icon_lol:but the coppers werent so happy that I refused to pay the fare back to their station :xxgrinning--00xx3:

jaishann
17th October 2009, 11:27

forget not your thread about ..how to avoid the ..... :)

Hope youll have a good time with your mahal and best of everything..

badrock
17th October 2009, 13:58
insect repellant...yes........malaria tabs no. don,t wear aftershave as it attracts the mozzies. It,s a beautiful country with beautiful people so enjoy yourself.

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 19:57
N,please dont forget group pasalubong when your coming back to the UK,remember the old adage,its better to give than receive :)

somebody
17th October 2009, 20:02
N,please dont forget group pasalubong when your coming back to the UK,remember the old adage,its better to give than receive :)

Indeed I will send the Gift list up to you northerner:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
17th October 2009, 20:06
:xxgrinning--00xx3: I'm sure I will have a great time.

And Tawi2, hmmmm.. Not forgotten:xxgrinning--00xx3::rolleyes:

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 20:08
Good man N,I dont drink and I dont smoke sadly so your going to have to use your imagination,I was just sitting here thinking of tiger prawns fried in Garlic butter,stick a few in your bag for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:I got a mate who is flying to pinas for the first time in the morning,he said he wont sleep tonight :icon_lol:

somebody
17th October 2009, 20:12
Good man N,I dont drink and I dont smoke sadly so your going to have to use your imagination,I was just sitting here thinking of tiger prawns fried in Garlic butter,stick a few in your bag for me :xxgrinning--00xx3:I got a mate who is flying to pinas for the first time in the morning,he said he wont sleep tonight :icon_lol:

Those prawns will smell nice after a long journey and flight:D

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 20:14
Those prawns will smell nice after a long journey and flight:D
I just fried some steak and onions earlier,stared into the pan in a daydream and Tiger prawns fried in Garlic butter popped into my head :icon_lol:I think I started salivating :icon_lol:N can eat them as my proxy then :icon_lol:and he can have a beer:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
17th October 2009, 20:15

:icon_lol: I am hoping to sleep the flight from UAE to Manila. Sure it is a 9 hour flight:cwm24: Reckon a few herbal nytals might need slipping in my lemonade..

As for the tiger prawns... Sure you can get them in your locale!

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 20:19
Tiger prawns in M&S are from Thailand I think mate,your going to be eating authentic fresh caught pinoy-prawns :) The guy I know going there in the morning is going to spend 2 of his 3 week trip on Boracay,he has never been out of Europe before but his girlfriend is a nurse here,I saw him thisafternoon at a kids 3'rd birthday party and he was buzzing with excitement :)

Northerner
17th October 2009, 20:34
...and he was buzzing with excitement :)

That will be me in a week:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 20:46
I wish I was in the seat next to you going over mate,but I am sure your going to enjoy yourself whatever happens,hey,dont forget if your in Cebu to try the skywalk and the edge coaster,your GF will love it :)

http://www.skyexperienceadventure.com/main/

Northerner
17th October 2009, 20:52
I wish I was in the seat next to you going over mate,but I am sure your going to enjoy yourself whatever happens,hey,dont forget if your in Cebu to try the skywalk and the edge coaster,your GF will love it :)

Yeah, I remember that from an older post.. Might just give it a go :xxgrinning--00xx3:

somebody
17th October 2009, 21:15

Lordy that looks mental im guessing you need to try that in warmer countries im sure if they tried in carnary wharf I think parts of the those on the ride would full off:D

Do you have to wear the jump suit and do you get to keep it:Erm:

JimOttley
17th October 2009, 21:44
I just fried some steak and onions earlier,stared into the pan in a daydream and Tiger prawns fried in Garlic butter popped into my head :icon_lol:I think I started salivating :icon_lol:N can eat them as my proxy then :icon_lol:and he can have a beer:xxgrinning--00xx3:

"Tiger prawns fried in Garlic butter" with chilli, Gambas al Ajillo Filipino style :D

Favourite dish, tried to make it here but the prawns are not quite the same.

Jim

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 21:56
Thats the one,with Chilli :xxgrinning--00xx3:I had some decent steak earlier but the tiger prawns would have been better :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Somebody,you wear the jump suit,you just hand it back afterwards,I wouldnt like to do it on top of canary wharfe though,freezing in mid-winter :ARsurrender:

Sophie
17th October 2009, 22:05

"Tiger prawns fried in Garlic butter" with chilli, Gambas al Ajillo Filipino style :D

Favourite dish, tried to make it here but the prawns are not quite the same.

Jim

This is torture :bigcry::rolleyes: now i'm imagining and salivating about tiger prawns in garlic butter with chili,
gambas has always been my favorite back home and crabs as well, i hate you two for posting about this, lol :D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Tawi2
17th October 2009, 22:10
Not CRABS :bigcry:

Pepe n Pilar
17th October 2009, 22:11
Hi Sophie, that special dish is still on my menu. My husband loves it so much!..:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Thanks for sharing it Sis!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yes i like gambas as well. I always have this back home.
Cheers:)

Sophie
17th October 2009, 22:14

more torture with matching photos :cwm23: :D:D:D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Sophie
17th October 2009, 22:18
Hi Sophie, that special dish is still on my menu. My husband loves it so much!..:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Thanks for sharing it Sis!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yes i like gambas as well. I always have this back home.
Cheers:)

You're welcome sis :):)
Its great we can still enjoy the dish here but i agree with jim, prawns here are not quite thesame as what we have back home,
and that's what i'm missing :bigcry::bigcry::D:D

JimOttley
18th October 2009, 11:49
You're welcome sis :):)
Its great we can still enjoy the dish here but i agree with jim, prawns here are not quite thesame as what we have back home,
and that's what i'm missing :bigcry::bigcry::D:D

Yeah it's a really subtle difference, I was in a Tapas bar in Liverpool with my sister when she came down from Scotland to visit the other month and they served Gambas al Ajillo (it is a Spanish dish after all) but it was just not the same.

Jim

Northerner
21st October 2009, 16:59
With only 7 days to go the butterflies in the tummy are giving me a rollercoaster ride of their own (Or maybe that was the huuuuuuge chinese buffet lunch I had today with Tita Hara - arah).. :rolleyes:

But today I think I made a wise choice and popped by the Natwest and handed over £700 and ordered travel money for the Philippines! I got it at 72.6836 PHP to the £:Erm: Not the greatest high street price ever, but the best I could find today. And it was handy I opened a new account with them 2 weeks ago.. Be even handier if I get the new debit card before Tuesday:cwm3:

But, with a loss of sterling I have 55,500 pesos and over a fiver change in the bank to buy me a burger on my return to the UK..

Didn't quite manage to save as much as I had planned, but it only has to last 16 days and then I get paid again. So, I should do fine:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Here's to the next 148 hours till I board my flight:40__s:

Jay&Zobel
21st October 2009, 17:15
With only 7 days to go the butterflies in the tummy are giving me a rollercoaster ride of their own (Or maybe that was the huuuuuuge chinese buffet lunch I had today with Tita Hara - arah).. :rolleyes:

But today I think I made a wise choice and popped by the Natwest and handed over £700 and ordered travel money for the Philippines! I got it at 72.6836 PHP to the £:Erm: Not the greatest high street price ever, but the best I could find today. And it was handy I opened a new account with them 2 weeks ago.. Be even handier if I get the new debit card before Tuesday:cwm3:

But, with a loss of sterling I have 55,500 pesos and over a fiver change in the bank to buy me a burger on my return to the UK..

Didn't quite manage to save as much as I had planned, but it only has to last 16 days and then I get paid again. So, I should do fine:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good luck hehe don't get too excited hahaha. Oh man I'd like to go home now too!! :bigcry:

Sim11UK
24th October 2009, 06:32
Hey Northerner!...not long to go now. :yikes:

Really, don't worry, you'll be fine...It's always stressful a few days before you go, as there are things to sort out...You're always thinking, have I got this, have I remembered that?
Everything falls into place, the day you leave. Just close the door & go!

You're going on a great adventure...Life is for living!...There is nothing like that first trip...I'm still out here, on "active service", got just under 2 weeks left to go, of my 2 months stay. :bigcry:

Seriously though, I'm sure you'll both have a GRRREAT!!! time...Just be prepared for the heat...It's too mainit (hot)...innit. :D Good luck. :xxgrinning--00xx3::)

P.S. I hope you like rice. :D

pennybarry
24th October 2009, 09:03

It looks like spider crabs here Tawi.

Tawi2
24th October 2009, 09:39
Lambay:icon_lol:alimasag:Erm:alimango:xxgrinning--00xx3:Theres a crab farm in Tagum,its a DA project I visited breeding soft-shell crabs for the japanese market :)

somebody
24th October 2009, 14:41

Your be fine the best things in life cost nothing. Better to get to know people than spend time spending money.

Jay&Zobel
24th October 2009, 18:15
Your be fine the best things in life cost nothing. Better to get to know people than spend time spending money.

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
Yep, I certainly agree with Somebody.:xxgrinning--00xx3: As they have said, the best things in life are free. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Few words of advice: Don't let them know that you have so much money with you as they (friends, family & others) will expect you to pay everything. Just be vigilant at all times.

somebody
24th October 2009, 18:45
Yep, I certainly agree with Somebody.:xxgrinning--00xx3: As they have said, the best things in life are free. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Few words of advice: Don't let them know that you have so much money with you as they (friends, family & others) will expect you to pay everything. Just be vigilant at all times.

Yeah dont set the bar to high many have gone out there acted Johny the rich metizo and wondered why people think they are made of money:doh

Jay&Zobel
24th October 2009, 18:50

Yeah dont set the bar to high many have gone out there acted Johny the rich metizo and wondered why people think they are made of money:doh

Very true, I guess, it's colonial mentality thing. When Filipinos see white people they assume that they are all rich. Sad though.

pennybarry
25th October 2009, 09:29
Lambay:icon_lol:alimasag:Erm:alimango:xxgrinning--00xx3:Theres a crab farm in Tagum,its a DA project I visited breeding soft-shell crabs for the japanese market :)

Wow! I didn't know that we also have soft shell crabs in our county.

Is the lady in your avatar is your dream girl? :Rasp:

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:16

So you're definately not guilty of "crab" mentality then? :BouncyHappy::Cuckoo::Rasp::icon_lol::cwm34:

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 11:37

Is the lady in your avatar is your dream girl? :Rasp:
Its a new project,they are being bred especially for the Japanese market,its just a DA trial :)
As for my avatar lady Pen,beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

pennybarry
25th October 2009, 11:37
So you're definately not guilty of "crab" mentality then? :BouncyHappy::Cuckoo::Rasp::icon_lol::cwm34:

Not at all James! I love to help, I have no pride:D. Will still greet you even if you sounds upset and unhappy with me. Ahahahhaah:D:Rasp:
As much as possible I want to help people, especially those poor but deserving. People who are keen to learn, elderly beggars.

If you only knew that I want to build a foundation but no budget yet! Can you help? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:41
Not at all James! I love to help, I have no pride:D. Will still greet you even if you sounds upset and unhappy with me. Ahahahhaah:D:Rasp:
As much as possible I want to help people, especially those poor but deserving. People who are keen to learn, elderly beggars.

If you only knew that I want to build a foundation but no budget yet! Can you help? :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

build foundation? What are we building? I'm lost! :doh

glad you're cool with no CM! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also, I have no pride either --- i got nothing to be proud of! :Hellooo::Rasp::icon_lol:

pennybarry
25th October 2009, 11:50
build foundation? What are we building? I'm lost! :doh

glad you're cool with no CM! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Also, I have no pride either --- i got nothing to be proud of! :Hellooo::Rasp::icon_lol:

What is CM? centimeters?
I'm buliding a foundation website.:Rasp::BouncyHappy:

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 11:55
What is CM? centimeters?
I'm buliding a foundation website.:Rasp::BouncyHappy:

it's not centimetres no . . . it's not CM punk either .. . . it's

"crab mentality"! lol:doh

pennybarry
25th October 2009, 12:19
it's not centimetres no . . . it's not CM punk either .. . . it's

"crab mentality"! lol:doh

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Sorry for my poor english!:Rasp:

James Hubbard
25th October 2009, 12:32
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:
Sorry for my poor english!:Rasp:

no need to apologise ... sorry for my odd shortening of words that didn't require it! :D

IainBusby
25th October 2009, 13:21

It's being used but only since July last year - so just over a year.

Jim

I don't know if international flights are flying into teminal 3 yet or not, but if you do arrive at terminal 1, here's a link that that's will help you know what to expect when you get there. http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=6962&highlight=arriving+naia I don't know if it mentions the fact that if someone is meeting you at the airport, you will have to cross the road when you emerge from the main airport building and go down one of the ramps, either left or right, to the road level.

The ramps are marked something like A to M and N to Z and you choose which one to go down depending on your surname. When you get down there, there are big letters, A, B, C, etc on the wall and you go and stand by the one that reflects your surname. Your girl meanwhile will be on the other side of the road opposite that letter lookiing for you and when she sees you she will ask the airport security guys to let her come across to meet you.

I found the whole experience a bloody nightmare, but that was long before I joined this forum and I hadn't a clue what to expect.

Have a great time and............

Iain.

Northerner
25th October 2009, 13:31
I don't know if international flights are flying into teminal 3 yet or not, but if you do arrive at terminal 1, here's a link that that's will help you know what to expect when you get there. http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=6962&highlight=arriving+naia I don't know if it mentions the fact that if someone is meeting you at the airport, you will have to cross the road when you emerge from the main airport building and go down one of the ramps, either left or right, to the road level.

The ramps are marked something like A to M and N to Z and you choose which one to go down depending on your surname. When you get down there, there are big letters, A, B, C, etc on the wall and you go and stand by the one that reflects your surname. Your girl meanwhile will be on the other side of the road opposite that letter lookiing for you and when she sees you she will ask the airport security guys to let her come through to meet you.

I found the whole experience a bloody nightmare, but that was long before I joined this forum and I hadn't a clue what to expect.

Have a great time and............

Iain.

I arrive a terminal 1 in Manila at 10.35pm.. Then once through customs and stuff, I head to terminal 3 to get a ticket to fly out to Cebu. These tickets are about 2,400.. Maybe a little food in terminal 3 depending how I feel.

I will land in Cebu at about 6am, if I can get the earliest flight in the morning.. Then off to my hotel to check in, thankfully not too far away.

Rizza is meeting me at Cebu airport! Is there a barrier there for her like in Manila? Or is it more laid back??

Wow... Flying out in 55 hours :)

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 13:34
She will be on the other side of the road mate,you come out of Mactan arrivals look over the road,she will be there,but its a million times less crowded chaotic and congested than manila,I actually prefer arriving in Cebu for that reason alone,and the Taxi drivers are reasonably honest,moreso if you cross the road,walk up the steps to your right hand side to the departures and grab one from there:xxgrinning--00xx3:

IainBusby
25th October 2009, 13:40
I arrive a terminal 1 in Manila at 10.35pm.. Then once through customs and stuff, I head to terminal 3 to get a ticket to fly out to Cebu. These tickets are about 2,400.. Maybe a little food in terminal 3 depending how I feel.

I will land in Cebu at about 6am, if I can get the earliest flight in the morning.. Then off to my hotel to check in, thankfully not too far away.

Rizza is meeting me at Cebu airport! Is there a barrier there for her like in Manila? Or is it more laid back??

Wow... Flying out in 55 hours :)

That's good, you can just get an airport taxi at a pre-quoted fare and you won't have to go through the (wonderful) :yikes: experience of meeting someone at terminal 1.

If your lucky, when you get to terminal 3 some airport employee will spot you and offer to help you, then he'll whisk you past all of the Filipinos waiting in line, through check in, then through security and on through to the departure hall. Of course he'll expect a bung, but at P100 or maybe P200, I think it's well worth it. I've never been to Cebu so I don't know about meeting someone there, but I have been told it's far more modern airport that teminal 1 in Manila. Maybe someone else who's met their girl at Cebu can give you the heads up on the process of meeting up with your girl there.

Enjoy..........

Iain.

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 13:45
There you are mate,end of the clip across the road thats where she will be waiting,totally different experience from landing at NAIA though not as relaxed as landing at Davao which has the most laid back international airport in pinas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmf5kb4JndY

Northerner
25th October 2009, 13:52
There you are mate,end of the clip across the road thats where she will be waiting,totally different experience from landing at NAIA though not as relaxed as landing at Davao which has the most laid back international airport in pinas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmf5kb4JndY

Cool... I will go straight over there:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks.. Iain.. But considering I have to wait in terminal 3 for like 5 hours, the delay won't be a problem.

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 13:53
You dont have to go over the road mate,the taxis are right at the door,once you have one she can come over to you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
25th October 2009, 13:58
You dont have to go over the road mate,the taxis are right at the door,once you have one she can come over to you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

She will be with her Tita and cousin.. So there will be 4 of us getting a taxi:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Maybe I should get the hotel to pick us up? Trouble is though.. I could get to Cebu on the later flight if the first one is sold out :Erm:

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 14:01
Theres room in a taxi for four :icon_lol:Just play it by ear,cant you book your manila-cebu flight online?Which hotel you staying at?Marriott?

IainBusby
25th October 2009, 14:07
Another little tip, if you have any loose english £1 coins in your pocket after you board your final flight to Manila, just make sure you take them out and put them in your bag right at the bottom, not in one of the pockets. Because when they search you at they airport they'll ask you to take them out, then they'll just smile at you and say "souvenir" and you'll more or less feel obliged to hand them over, that's if you don't want to be delayed that is.

Northerner
25th October 2009, 14:12
Another little tip, if you have any loose english £1 coins in your pocket after you board your final flight to Manila, just make sure you take them out and put them in your bag right at the bottom, not in one of the pockets. Because when they search you at they airport they'll ask you to take them out, then they'll just smile at you and say "souvenir" and you'll more or less feel obliged to hand them over, that's if you don't want to be delayed that is.

Pffft.. I plan to have no english coins on me. Only pesos.. Already I have less than £30 sterling and that is getting spent tomorrow. Not too bothered if they try and delay me. Heck, I'm that mean I wouldn't give them a pound if they made it clear that otherwise I was getting lubed up:icon_lol:

Northerner
25th October 2009, 14:14
Theres room in a taxi for four :icon_lol:Just play it by ear,cant you book your manila-cebu flight online?Which hotel you staying at?Marriott?

Staying at the ALTA resort (http://www.cebugardenresort.com/resort.html)... For the first 3 days.

Tawi2
25th October 2009, 14:24
I just had a look at the Alta photographs,some of the staff look nice :cwm38: At least its close to the airport after the trip,looks good :)

Northerner
25th October 2009, 14:31
I just had a look at the Alta photographs,some of the staff look nice :cwm38: At least its close to the airport after the trip,looks good :)

It's in a similar price range to the marriot, and I took your advice about treating Rizza from an older thread.. If it is as good as some of the reviews, I might go back when we are back in Cebu?

islander
25th October 2009, 17:41
I'm so excited for both of you.... Just a tip, always demand to use a taxi meter when you'll ride taxi coz some of the taxi drivers will try to rip you off.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay in Cebu!

Northerner
25th October 2009, 18:03
I'm so excited for both of you.... Just a tip, always demand to use a taxi meter when you'll ride taxi coz some of the taxi drivers will try to rip you off.

Hope you'll enjoy your stay in Cebu!

Oh, I know.. Fell for it once in Thailand.. It was chucking it down with rain and I was in some backend part of Bangkok. Off the beaten track and without much choice.. I usually pop my head in and ask for the meter, if he says no, the door closes and I take my business to another driver..

Funny thing is on my last few days I am always happy to tip everyone loads as I am usually happy to spend the rest of my native cash on the country I am in. So it is a little funny to me when I give a nice tip to a waitress or taxi driver when I am due to leave, knowing that some mean person earlier that day lost out on more money than he hoped to make just for the sake of turning off the meter :D

Classic example was a taxi driver in Bangkok who demanded 400 baht for the ride from the hotel to the airport. The price was actually about 400 if he had his meter on (with road tolls) and I was planning a big tip (I had 700 baht lined up to give him). But because he was too ignorant, I took him up on his offer and paid him 400 baht. The cleaning lady at the fast food place in the airport got the 300 baht left over...

islander
25th October 2009, 18:21
actually, my hubby used to have that sort of attitude as well, he would give more tip on the person who doesn't ask for it, while he ignored giving to some who is so aggressive in asking or hinting a tip, hehehe!

by the way, I would suggest you bring rizza to a nice restaurant in Ayala, The Terraces called LA MAISON, they have nice food selection there, creme brulee is soooo yummy... everytime my husband visited me before, we always went to that restaurant either on first day or last day of visit, memorable I suppose, a bit expensive restaurant but worth it, although cheap as compared to UK prices, hehehe!

Good Luck!

Northerner
26th October 2009, 20:11
In 25 hours my flight is taking off from Manchester..

:BouncyHappy::love18::woohoo:

Now just got to finish packing my balikbayan box, I mean suitcase.... :D

:REDancedancer08:

JimOttley
26th October 2009, 20:17
In 25 hours my flight is taking off from Manchester..

:BouncyHappy::love18::woohoo:

Now just got to finish packing my balikbayan box, I mean suitcase.... :D

:REDancedancer08:

Good luck Sean, have a good time and take care of yourself, I'm sure it will be really special for both of you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jim