PDA

View Full Version : Any Filipino's in or around Manchester ?

SteveL
2nd October 2009, 16:13
My fiance will be arriving here (Manchester) on 20th October, so i'm trying to find any local Filipino's to become friends with so she can natter in her own language and feel at home. Any takers ?

Also, can anyone tell me of any local clubs for Filipino's or clubs or shops ? Basically, all things Pinoy please.

Thanks in advance.

Ayjay
2nd October 2009, 17:46
My fiance will be arriving here (Manchester) on 20th October, so i'm trying to find any local Filipino's to become friends with so she can natter in her own language and feel at home. Any takers ?

Also, can anyone tell me of any local clubs for Filipino's or clubs or shops ? Basically, all things Pinoy please.

Thanks in advance.

Difficult call... Why not get Filipino Satellite TV installed in your home before she arrives, it should help with the integration process.

Commiserations... nothing can be done about Manchester or the locals...

Good luck...

AJ

aromulus
2nd October 2009, 17:54
Difficult call... Why not get Filipino Satellite TV installed in your home before she arrives, it should help with the integration process.

Good luck...

AJ

A sweeping statement which may incur in the wrath of some members....:NoNo:

bornatbirth
2nd October 2009, 19:40

Good luck...

AJ

have you been on the forum before?

its funny how you started off quiet and now your expressing yourself :D

jimeve
2nd October 2009, 19:46

saying nothing, don't feed the troll.

JimOttley
2nd October 2009, 19:50
have you been on the forum before?

its funny how you started off quiet and now your expressing yourself :D

Has that feeling about it doesn't it!

Jim

bornatbirth
2nd October 2009, 19:53
just take your wife shopping and you will see lots,let her take her time meeting fellow filipinas you are like minded.

joebloggs
2nd October 2009, 22:40

i think his avatar says it all :icon_lol:

what part of Manchester are you from Steve ?

Northerner
2nd October 2009, 23:29
Steve, my mahal Rizza (Northerners Gal) is online here at times. Although we are a long way from applying for a visa we are following the steps outlined on various threads on this forum..

And I'm a Manc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So one day soon (fingers crossed), so will Rizza!

SteveL
4th October 2009, 01:05
i think his avatar says it all :icon_lol:

what part of Manchester are you from Steve ?

Middleton and I work in Bury.

As for taking her shopping :yikes: my pherapist says i've still not got over when she was haggling over the price of mangosteins :xxgrinning--00xx3:

SteveL
4th October 2009, 01:06
Steve, my mahal Rizza (Northerners Gal) is online here at times. Although we are a long way from applying for a visa we are following the steps outlined on various threads on this forum..

And I'm a Manc :xxgrinning--00xx3:

So one day soon (fingers crossed), so will Rizza!

My Baby Belle just got a visa in 2 days ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
4th October 2009, 07:57
Middleton and I work in Bury.

As for taking her shopping :yikes: my pherapist says i've still not got over when she was haggling over the price of mangosteins :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i work in whitefield :xxgrinning--00xx3:

there are a couple of local pinoyshops, one in eccles and one in stockport.

Queenbee
4th October 2009, 09:23

Thanks in advance.

:)HEY STEVE YOU SHOULDNT BE REALLY wORRIED...IM SURE YAH wONT LET YAH wOMAN GET BORED THERE AND JUST DO STUFF TOGETHER:D

I JUST LIKE TO ADD THAT TO BE CAREFUL wITH *SOME PINOYS THERE ABROAD COZ THEY CAN BE REALLY MORE NASTY THAN *SOME PINOYS HERE...NASTY LIKE BACKSTABBING,FAKERS,LIERS AND wHO JUST REALLY wANT OTHER PEOPLE TO BE MISERABLE...I DUNNO MAYBE BEC OF JEASLOUSY I GUESS OR THEY ARE JUST PLAIN NASTY..NOT ONLY SPEAKING FOR MY OwN EXPERIENCE BUT ALSO FROM PEOPLE I KNOw wHO LIVES AND wORKS ABROAD AS wELL..

ANYwAYZZZ GOODLU:)CK YOU GUYS AND MORE LOVE AND HAPPINES TO YOU BOTH!

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 11:14

That's his aim!

Look at his postings:

--Age Differences
--Dissed me in my "intro" page.
--now slagging off mancs.

Hmmm.

aromulus
4th October 2009, 11:22
That's his aim!

Look at his postings:

--Age Differences
--Dissed me in my "intro" page.
--now slagging off mancs.

Hmmm.

Obviously he feels guilt ridden for something or the other, and is lashing out at everybody else that seem to be happier than himself.:doh

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 11:36
Obviously he feels guilt ridden for something or the other, and is lashing out at everybody else that seem to be happier than himself.:doh

Sounds like it. It's ok, in bisaya they have a word when they meet someone like that, it's Calo-oy! :)

For the record, I love mancs, and Scousers, but . . . Brummies and Black Countries peeps are always the best in my book :D

aromulus
4th October 2009, 11:37
Sounds like it. It's ok, in bisaya they have a word when they meet someone like that, it's Calo-oy! :)

Mabaho ang powet mo.... Comes to mind too....:xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 11:41
in Bisaya, Baho Kaayo! or something.

"Mabaho ang powet mo" sama sa ok-uk ang patay??! Sorry to all who don't understand my broken bisaya in response to Arom's Tagalog :)

somebody
4th October 2009, 11:59
Steve if i recall correct your Missus is on a Tourist Visa in prepration for getting married later in Phill?

From the Wife and I experience and from what else I have seen make sure she immerses her self in the local community where ever they are from.

The Wife has phill friends but has avoid Phill only social meetings to a degree, as they can be social minefields.
Depending on how things go your find different groups with in the phill community from simply people your Mahal would never speak to normally certainly not want to be friends to those who seem to be all nice and then..
There are also those who are phill but were born here, ofws in particular Nurses who sometimes are not so friendly (but the wife has met many who are), you get the spouses who are here with there phill other half. the list goes on.

As I have mentioned the Wife knows many phills some well and some just in passing, she has friends from all racial backgrounds as well which it seems. Some like her are new to the country and although different in backgrounds, understand what its like to be "abroad" to those who have only ever known the UK.

The Wife didn't bother with satalite as its expensive for what you get, but then she watches the UK tv channels which has helped her fit in with her Friends in the UK from what ever background. This has meant as she watches UK news Channels to a degree most of her peers in the UK dont seem to she is well versed with what happens in most of the world.
Not so many people at her UK workplace watch wowwowwee as do gossip girl and x factor etc. She still knows all that is going on in phil locally and nationally due to Facebook,friendster and links on youtube etc.

I know people like to speak their mother tongue and whatnot. But the whats the point of moving countries if you dont try and intergrate at least part of the time your there?

Queenbee
4th October 2009, 12:04
Steve if i recall correct your Missus is on a Tourist Visa in prepration for getting married later in Phill?

From the Wife and I experience and from what else I have seen make sure she immerses her self in the local community where ever they are from.

The Wife has phill friends but has avoid Phill only social meetings to a degree, as they can be social minefields.
Depending on how things go your find different groups with in the phill community from simply people your Mahal would never speak to normally certainly not want to be friends to those who seem to be all nice and then..
There are also those who are phill but were born here, ofws in particular Nurses who sometimes are not so friendly (but the wife has met many who are), you get the spouses who are here with there phill other half. the list goes on.

As I have mentioned the Wife knows many phills some well and some just in passing, she has friends from all racial backgrounds as well which it seems. Some like her are new to the country and although different in backgrounds, understand what its like to be "abroad" to those who have only ever known the UK.

The Wife didn't bother with satalite as its expensive for what you get, but then she watches the UK tv channels which has helped her fit in with her Friends in the UK from what ever background. This has meant as she watches UK news Channels to a degree most of her peers in the UK dont seem to she is well versed with what happens in most of the world.
Not so many people at her UK workplace watch wowwowwee as do gossip girl and x factor etc. She still knows all that is going on in phil locally and nationally due to Facebook,friendster and links on youtube etc.

I know people like to speak their mother tongue and whatnot. But the whats the point of moving countries if you dont try and intergrate at least part of the time your there?

I AGREE!IM NOT MUCH OF A TV FAN,I wATCH MOVIES ON MA MACBOOK AND A BIG FAN OF GOSSIP GIRL,CSI,GREY'S ANATOMY,DEXTER AND VAMPIRE DIARIES,,,,HEHEHE THE LIST GOES ON,,,,

I THINK TO BE MORE UPDATED,INTERNET IS ENOUGH AND READ A LOT,,,

James Hubbard
4th October 2009, 12:16
I agree with Joe.

I mean, when I first started a LDR back in the day, I would go out of my way to talk to the Filipinos in my city and so on . . . but they are a completely different breed than the Filipinos in the Philippines.

I guess it's good for her to maybe spend 25% of her friend time with Filipinos and then 75% with non Filipinos as UK is a fantastically ethnically diverse place, and it's too culturally rich to shallowly hang around other people who ONLY speak your language, and come from your country :)

I hope you can make a bit of sense out of that ---

SteveL
5th October 2009, 00:00
i work in whitefield :xxgrinning--00xx3:

there are a couple of local pinoyshops, one in eccles and one in stockport.

Any chance of the addresses si vous plais ?

SteveL
5th October 2009, 00:06

Cheers for that - this is Belle's first time abroad so im just trying to find some familiarities for her like food etc and maybe a couple of Filipina's to meet up with and swap stories. Oh ok, i'll come clean, im just trying to keep my phone bill under a grand per month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

James Hubbard
5th October 2009, 04:17
Then, how about skype :)

Tish
6th October 2009, 20:05

Thanks in advance.

Hi Steve,

There's lots of filipinas around Manchester area.

I tend to spend a lot of time in Manchester (clubbing, eating in chinatown etc.) and knows quite a lot of filipinas living around there, so I'll be happy to show her round :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm told I'm a bad influence though :NoNo:

:icon_lol: Tish

Florge
7th October 2009, 17:28
Hi steve,

I'll be in Manchester on Oct. 17... will be in Newton Heath area... let me know if Belle wants to meet sometime.. would be nice to have someone near that you can go shopping with... hehehe...

SteveL
9th October 2009, 14:49
Hi steve,

I'll be in Manchester on Oct. 17... will be in Newton Heath area... let me know if Belle wants to meet sometime.. would be nice to have someone near that you can go shopping with... hehehe...

Thanks for the offer , but she doesnt arrive till 20th. Will you be back? :doh

somebody
10th October 2009, 20:14
Cheers for that - this is Belle's first time abroad so im just trying to find some familiarities for her like food etc and maybe a couple of Filipina's to meet up with and swap stories. Oh ok, i'll come clean, im just trying to keep my phone bill under a grand per month :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Understandable on the Phone bill tip:D and of course on the foods, common intrests and mother tongue.
Wanting to make sure Belle feels at home is natural but just be careful you dont push her towards pinays just because they are fellow pinays. Many of us Hubbys trying to help have done that and learned it best to let our Mahal find her own way:)

vbkelly
10th October 2009, 22:43

Good luck...

AJ

kick off already, goodbye!