PDA

View Full Version : Brown does a Thatcher

walesrob
27th September 2009, 11:17
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8277131.stm

He told BBC One's Andrew Marr programme: "I do not roll over".

Didn't Maggie say in 1980 "The Lady's is not for turning" :Erm:

Maggie would be so proud...:icon_lol:

IainBusby
27th September 2009, 13:02
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8277131.stm

He told BBC One's Andrew Marr programme: "I do not roll over".

Didn't Maggie say in 1980 "The Lady's is not for turning" :Erm:

Maggie would be so proud...:icon_lol:
Things are bad enough in this country, if starts to emulate Thather, as I believe Cameron will eventually if he gets into power, then were really in trouble. Were still paying the price today for many of Thatcher's ideological policies.

aromulus
27th September 2009, 13:07
Were still paying the price today for many of Thatcher's ideological policies.

As in....???:Erm:

Northerner
27th September 2009, 13:23

The rising cost of energy. We closed the pits, so we cannot generate home grown electricity via coal. We privatised the energy companies, effectively increasing the cost of Gas and Electricity at a huge rate. She blindly followed the American model, and used the profits from selling those utilities to keep the taxes down.

She sold out future generations for a few short term tax cuts to keep her in power:Erm:

walesrob
27th September 2009, 13:32
The rising cost of energy. We closed the pits, so we cannot generate home grown electricity via coal. We privatised the energy companies, effectively increasing the cost of Gas and Electricity at a huge rate. She blindly followed the American model, and used the profits from selling those utilities to keep the taxes down.

She sold out future generations for a few short term tax cuts to keep her in power:Erm:

Here we go again, Labour had 13 years to sort it out, so why haven't they? Ah yeah, blame the last government, you know the one from 1997. It doesn't wash anymore, they are all as useless as each other.

aromulus
27th September 2009, 13:37

She only pioneered new market forces...

Besides, huge amounts of Polish coal was being shipped in at less than a third of what could have cost if dug out in the UK....:doh

And again, if the energy companies were still in Gov hands, who says that we would be better off, wether service wise or costs...???:Erm:

Northerner
27th September 2009, 13:54
Forget Labour! They're lining their own pockets just as the tories did.

But I do think the the privatisation of all these companies was based upon a model imported from the US designed for one simple thing. The redistribution of wealth from those less off to the wealthy..

They would have gone after the NHS if they thought they could have gotten away with it!

JimOttley
27th September 2009, 14:17
Here we go again, Labour had 13 years to sort it out, so why haven't they? Ah yeah, blame the last government, you know the one from 1997. It doesn't wash anymore, they are all as useless as each other.

Because they had already conceeded the argument to to the Tories before they even got in and they weren't about to change anything as they thought the Tories had proved that it all worked.

Some things belong in public hands, I worked for the SSEB (Scottish Power) in the mid 80's it was extremely well run, huge uptime massive generation capacity and grid management that was the envy of the entire country.

We were overpaid underworked and didn't know how lucky we were (some of us anyway) but the privatised replacement was never a better solution as power supply needs long term thinking and the free market (for power at least) always thinks short term.

Just wait in 5 or 6 years time, we will start getting the kind of brownouts they get get in Manila :(

Short sighted short term gains not long term thought :(

Jim

GaryFifer
27th September 2009, 16:40
How about cameron does a thatcher?
http://www.moneymad.org/Previous/David_Cameron_Thatcher.jpg

KeithD
27th September 2009, 16:41
How about cameron does a thatcher?

That's your wallpaper! :omg:

GaryFifer
27th September 2009, 16:42
That's your wallpaper! :omg:
Na. Toiletpaper

KeithD
27th September 2009, 18:22
Na. Toiletpaper
You enjoy Maggie licking your ass? :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

GaryFifer
27th September 2009, 18:31

:Erm::blacklistsmartassHL:action-smiley-082:She can kiss it:Rasp:

bornatbirth
27th September 2009, 19:07

:NoNo: it wont be long before shes dead? :D

GaryFifer
27th September 2009, 19:21

When she goes I am sure Satan will ask for asylum in heaven when she goes down. She doesn't like red!

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 15:11

How long have you got...... So many stealth taxes..... can you remember when national insurance used to be a fixed sum every week or month. It was for most people quite a small sum of money until Nigel Lawson changed it to a percentage...... a very small percentage at the time so it didn't make much difference, but it slowly increased bit by bit and the increases were usually announced (very quietly) at the same time as a headline grabbing cut in the basic rate of tax. Maggie and the tory press of the day always concentrated on the headline tax rate, but by the time she left office the total tax take was actually slightly higher than when she was first elected.

Our utility bills are also much higher than they should be because of privitisations which benefited only those who had enough disposable income to make a killing on the shares.

I could go on, but I'd be here all day. Suffice to say, she and her cohorts, Keith Joseph, Nicholas Ridley and the like were idealogs and idealogs can really only serve likeminded people, they stick to their ideology come what may...... our people (meaning true blue tory voters) was something Maggie often said when discussing policy. If you weren't one of Maggie's people then you were completely out of luck during her time in office.

walesrob
28th September 2009, 17:29
I could go on, but I'd be here all day. Suffice to say, she and her cohorts, Keith Joseph, Nicholas Ridley and the like were idealogs and idealogs can really only serve likeminded people, they stick to their ideology come what may...... our people (meaning true blue tory voters) was something Maggie often said when discussing policy. If you weren't one of Maggie's people then you were completely out of luck during her time in office.

Well Iain, whoever gets into power is bound to alienate a section of population.

Funny how Gordon Brown said this week he identifies with middle class voters, and Mandleson saying labour are the "Underdogs" and they should expose the Tories for what they are? You what???:censored: Labour is a fraud. Seems these guys will say anything and some people actually believe the rubbish they spout. Seems they have no ammo left and whats left are lies, spin and more lies. At least they can't blame the Tories this time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did a certain John Prescott say at the Labour Party conference in 1996 that if Labour came to power, they would re-nationalise the railways? Did they? NO! Seems all politicians lose their "ideals" as soon as they get into power, whether Labour or Tory.

At least Thatcher stuck to her guns.

Somehow, too much democracy is a bad thing.

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 18:57
Well Iain, whoever gets into power is bound to alienate a section of population.

Funny how Gordon Brown said this week he identifies with middle class voters, and Mandleson saying labour are the "Underdogs" and they should expose the Tories for what they are? You what???:censored: Labour is a fraud. Seems these guys will say anything and some people actually believe the rubbish they spout. Seems they have no ammo left and whats left are lies, spin and more lies. At least they can't blame the Tories this time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did a certain John Prescott say at the Labour Party conference in 1996 that if Labour came to power, they would re-nationalise the railways? Did they? NO! Seems all politicians lose their "ideals" as soon as they get into power, whether Labour or Tory.

At least Thatcher stuck to her guns.

Somehow, too much democracy is a bad thing.

I thoroughly agree with that, but the problem with Maggie was that unlike almost all of the conservative governments that went before her who almost always considered themselves as "one nation" governments because they recognised that although they won a majority of seats in parliament, they didn't get an absolute majority of the votes cast by individual electors and so they tended to govern accordingly. Maggie governed autocratically and strictly according to her (Keith Joseph's) free market, devil take the hindmost ideology. Sticking to your guns can sometimes be an admirable quality, but not when the guns are always pointing in the direction of the poorest sections of society.

I don't think you can compare labour's fraudulency to David Cameron's. Where was he when the last conservative government was in power. I think he's really hoping that most people will assume that he hadn't even entered politics in those days, but in fact he was there, he was one of their rising young ideological guns, a special adviser to Norman Lamont no less and after that special adviser to the machavelian Michael Howard the prince of darkness himself.

As far as spin goes, it always makes me smile when I hear the tories moan about labour spin, after all, it was Bernard Ingham, Margaret Thatchers press secretary who invented modern day political spin and the tories are pig sick about it now because the labour party learned to do it better than them.

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 19:13

When she does go I'm sure the great and the good from around the world will be queuing up with their accolades but I for one definately won't be shedding any crocodile tears.

GaryFifer
28th September 2009, 19:47
Did you know she studied as a chemist at Dundee University?

Do you recall her infamous Sermon on the Mound? How the good Samaritan must be rich first, in order to help a person. How much did that make you puke? One must act in our own self interest in order to better society. The good Samaritan much be rich in order to help a person hahaha. Sorry can't help ya little beggars, I'm not rich enough yet!

I am sure all those yuppies bonking and drinking champagne around Amsterdam brought wonderful things to our economy- cocaine and call girls. So were they the good samaritans you spoke of Dear Margret? I can imagine the miners down the pit while those yuppies are on the phones making share deals and playing squash with people called Cecil, Boris and FARQUAR

KeithD
28th September 2009, 20:57
Give Boris the PM job :)

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 21:11

Yea, then we can all have a laugh. :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Northerner
28th September 2009, 21:16

What!!!! Then we can't get smug about the Americans voting in George Bush :)

GaryFifer
28th September 2009, 21:22
love this guy:

Boris and the buses (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2fZJR9JC0)

IainBusby
28th September 2009, 21:29
What!!!! Then we can't get smug about the Americans voting in George Bush :)
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

GaryFifer
29th September 2009, 17:52
Say she wanted a state funeral. That would cost 3 million. For 3 million you could give every Scot a shovel and we would dig a hole so large, we hand her over to satan personally.