PDA

View Full Version : King/Queen at school

GaryFifer
25th September 2009, 01:19
Jessica telling me of a competition at school. I question the methods of this. :Erm:Let me explain

Her daughter who is 14 is entering as a candidate for Queen coronation on December 16. She was given envelopes with the other candidates names on it. Her daughter has to go travel around getting money from relatives/friends/neighbours. Whichever candidate gets the most money will get some of the money back.

What on earth is this practice? I am worried. I know when my parents were younger they often were left out of school trips because of lack of money.Or did not have school uniform. As my parents explained other kids might feel left out because they have no cash,or cannot contribute to the envelope.

This would ensure only the children with wealthy parents become the king/queen. Licensed begging doesn't seem to be a good way to teach Filipino children the value of money. Thoughts on this. It seems to be an Americanization.

Arthur Little
25th September 2009, 01:43
Jessica telling me of a competition at school. I question the methods of this. :Erm:Let me explain

Her daughter who is 12 is entering as a candidate for Queen coronation on December 16. She was given envelopes with the other candidates names on it. Her daughter has to go travel around getting money from relatives/friends/neighbours. Whichever candidate gets the most money will get some of the money back.

What on earth is this practice? I am worried. I know when my parents were younger they often were left out of school trips because of lack of money.Or did not have school uniform. As my parents explained other kids might feel left out because they have no cash,or cannot contribute to the envelope.

This would ensure only the children with wealthy parents become the king/queen. *Licensed begging doesn't seem to be a good way to teach Filipino children the value of money. Thoughts on this. It seems to be an Americanization.

:Erm: Whilst I'm in complete agreement with your *sentiments, Gary ... I fail to see how this can be an 'Americanism' since our friends "across the pond" did away with having Kings & Queens on becoming the United States, following the American War of Independence!

GaryFifer
25th September 2009, 01:45
:Erm: Whilst I'm in complete agreement with your *sentiments, Gary ... I fail to see how this can be an 'Americanism' since our friends "across the pond" did away with having Kings & Queens on becoming the United States, following the American War of Independence!

whats that got to do with a 12 year old?

Arthur Little
25th September 2009, 02:23
whats that got to do with a 12 year old?

Yeah, I know ... and, on reflection, I have to admit that there are many modern-day Yanks who, in spite of their forefathers' desire for independence, envy us our Royalty - and indeed, have a tendency to romanticise the 'Institution' of Monarchy and its attendant protocol. But there again, our American "cousins" are renowned for their whimsical :idea:s ... !!!

eleazebonares
25th September 2009, 03:29
my.mom.received.such.envelopes,they.call.it.donations,its.usually.for a cause,like for new school buildings,school needs usually.atleast thats what it says on the envelope.

Alan
25th September 2009, 08:01

Her daughter who is 12 is entering as a candidate for Queen coronation on December 16. She was given envelopes with the other candidates names on it. Her daughter has to go travel around getting money from relatives/friends/neighbours. Whichever candidate gets the most money will get some of the money back.

This would ensure only the children with wealthy parents become the king/queen. Licensed begging doesn't seem to be a good way to teach Filipino children the value of money. Thoughts on this. It seems to be an Americanization.

Gary, your post does not surprise me one bit. It is also only the 'tip of the iceberg' as far as asking for money goes in Filipino schools. Not ALL schools I hasten to add!!

I have heard stories and seen things that are incredulous.

When you mention that 'wealthy' kids get all (and the poor kids miss out) you are not far from the truth.

Al.:)