PDA

View Full Version : Sta Travel pre-paid debit card

Northerner
23rd September 2009, 16:53
I applied for a pre paid debit card via sta travel last week, took in some ID and stuff and hoped to get it sorted and have the card a week or so later. But no... They give you nothing but a voucher code to then use online. Despite being told by the shop assistant he would take care of everything - prior to getting my £20.:angry: So that evening I took it online and entered my voucher code. Then I needed a scan of my passport... :Erm: Don't have my own scanner, so a trip to the sister a few days later to sort it out then!

Then after going through the process at the weekend I get a text message asking me to contact customer services.

What follows is a very condensed version of the conversation I had at the time!

Hello, I've applied for one of your pre paid debit cards. And you have asked me to call you to further my application!

Data Protection followed.. Yes sir, we require a copy of a utility bill as proof of address.

Okay, can I send you a copy of my mobile phone bill as I have a contract that I have had for two years?

No sir!

Okay, how about a bank statement?

Yes sir, that would be acceptable.

Okay, could I email a copy to you as I register everything online?

No sir, you need to send it in the post and allow up to 7 working days for us to receive your post.

So after much back and forth I give in and ask for a refund as if I have to wait up to 2 weeks for them to get my bank statement - and have to get a paper copy off of the bank, another 7 days. Then really I cannot expect to receive this card till I am in the Philippines.

And so after asking for a refund, I am given the classic line "Please allow 14 working days for your refund to arrive".. 3 weeks :cwm23:

Looks like I'm taking cash only!

:cwm23::censored:

jimeve
23rd September 2009, 17:08
Looks like I'm taking cash only!

:cwm23::censored:

Take care when exchanging cash in Phils, my wife changed some dosh, later she discovered a counterfeit P1000 note in her purse. That was in a registered money changer in Tagbilaran. she went back to ask for a replacement and told her the boss was out of town, come back next week.:angry:

Northerner
23rd September 2009, 17:12
Well I'll have £1000+ (not much after the plus though:D) in cash so was thinking of exchanging at the airport, but then everyone on here says it is worse for the rates. But perhaps safer...

Not a good trade off, but a trade off!

jimeve
23rd September 2009, 17:16
Why don't you change some in the UK
:Erm:

Northerner
23rd September 2009, 17:18
Where do you reckon I will get the best rates? Everyone tells me it is the phils?

jimeve
23rd September 2009, 17:22
certainly not at the phils airport, just be careful and check your money, make sure the large notes are crispy. if they are thin poor paper quality don't accept them.

Northerner
23rd September 2009, 17:30
But Natwest give me over 73 pesos to the £ in one of their branches so might go there...

jimeve
23rd September 2009, 17:40
not much is it, wife got 78 but got ripped off, you need some anyway before you leave the airport..

Dedworth
23rd September 2009, 18:37
If you've got an o2 sim or phone their card might be worth having - details on their website

walesrob
23rd September 2009, 18:55
If you've got an o2 sim or phone their card might be worth having - details on their website

http://money.o2.co.uk/summary.html tells you more about charges when using this card abroad.

I've just got one of these 02 Money Manager cards and in my opinion, its the best pre-paid card around, and I would seriously consider using it next time I'm in the Philippines. The main plus points for this card is no card issue fee (most if not all others charge £9 - £15), instant text message alert for all transactions, and no charge for loading money, plus UK transaction fee Free. Even some UK ATM withdrawals are free as well, otherwise its 2.75% for International ATM withdrawals. Unlike the Paypal prepaid Visa card, the 02 Visa card seems to behave like a full Visa card and is not an Electron Visa.