PDA

View Full Version : Home Office announce "new" controls to protect British jobs

Pepe n Pilar
12th September 2009, 20:40
IMMIGRATION MATTERS

Home Office announce “new” controls to protect British jobs
By Charles Kelly

12 September 2009

The British government is to introduce a raft of new measures, including raising the minimum salary for a skilled worker to £20,000, to ensure that resident workers can have every opportunity to fill vacancies before they are offered to workers abroad, the Home Secretary announced this week

The government has accepted the recommendations made last month by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) to tighten up the rules controlling when skilled workers are allowed to take jobs in the under the points-based system.

From next year all jobs must be advertised to British workers in Jobcentre Plus for four weeks - extended from two weeks - before companies can seek to employ non EU/EEA individuals.

But are these measures really new or just a rehash of old ideas? And can Prime Minister Gordon Brown really protect jobs for British workers?

XXX

joebloggs
12th September 2009, 20:50
But are these measures really new or just a rehash of old ideas? And can Prime Minister Gordon Brown really protect jobs for British workers?

brown will be gone in less than 10 months - he needs a miracle to stay in power.

the tories, i think will even make it even more difficult for non europeans to work here.

no such thing any more as british jobs for british workers, its illegal becuase of the sprouts in brussels .

Arthur Little
22nd September 2009, 19:39
Well, as I see it, the British Government is SUPPOSEDLY charged with at least a certain amount of responsibility for protecting the interests of UK citzens in the Jobs Market. And fair enough!

But having said that, the new ruling isn't going to make things any easier for people like my wife ... who, disappointingly, finds herself 'twixt the devil and the deep blue sea'; on the one hand ... according to the EIS ... she's "under-qualified" to teach here ... despite being the holder of a BSc in Agriculture and having taught in the Phils for 22 years. On the other, she's deemed to be "over-qualified" for non-graduate employment.

In an ideal world, *someone in HER position would simply walk into a similar post at the likes of Perth College ... the entrance to which is located a mere couple of hundred yards from our home. But, of course, Thatcher's decree [back in the '80s] that all jobs MUST BE ADVERTISED, put the kywash on *THAT idea! :doh

GaryFifer
22nd September 2009, 20:05
IMMIGRATION MATTERS

Home Office announce “new” controls to protect British jobs
By Charles Kelly

12 September 2009

The British government is to introduce a raft of new measures, including raising the minimum salary for a skilled worker to £20,000, to ensure that resident workers can have every opportunity to fill vacancies before they are offered to workers abroad, the Home Secretary announced this week

The government has accepted the recommendations made last month by the Migration Advisory Committee (MAC) to tighten up the rules controlling when skilled workers are allowed to take jobs in the under the points-based system.

From next year all jobs must be advertised to British workers in Jobcentre Plus for four weeks - extended from two weeks - before companies can seek to employ non EU/EEA individuals.

XXX

What is his so-called definition of skilled worker? JOB CENTRE SEARCH WEBSITE (http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/Internet/setLocale.do?country=GB&language=en&page=/initialise.do)

the Jobcentre categorisation is

#
Construction Trades
#
Electrical/ Electronic
#
Food
#
Funeral Services
#
Hair/Beauty
#
Horticulture/ Agriculture
#
Metal Forming
#
Metal Machining/Fitting
#
Other Crafts
#
Printing
#
Science & Technology
#
Textile Trades
#
Vehicle Trades
#
Wood Trades

Trust me, I look every day and the majority of things that come up are cleaner, sales representative, and porter, glass collector, and call centre.

Arthur Little
22nd September 2009, 20:08
All non EU members should not be given work permits, all of the money they earn, is sent out of the UK anyway, they add nothing to our way of life.

Do I detect a note of cynicism here, Katy? Because, if so, it has to be said that there are MANY non-Europeans - particularly Filipinos - who are more than willing to work a :censored: sight harder than their British counterparts ... for a lot less money!

And yes, some [NOT all] is sent home ... but surely this practice says a great deal for their concept of family values.

darren-b
22nd September 2009, 20:10
What is his so-called definition of skilled worker?

I would guess it means that you can't apply for a work permit for a skilled worker unless you are going to pay them £20K per year.

GaryFifer
22nd September 2009, 20:24
Do I detect a note of cynicism here, Katy? Because, if so, it has to be said that there are MANY non-Europeans - particularly Filipinos - who are more than willing to work a :censored: sight harder than their British counterparts ... for a lot less money!

They have created a balance of people who will sit on ass on benefit, because of working tax credit, lone parents get the rent paid for them free, school meals, council tax, so getting out of the benefit trap, why should they?

Example of
One person one child

Yearly income =£5,000
Tax/NI bill =£0
Tax credit/Child benefit =£7,913
Total income =£12,913

I have more figures about couple one working with 2 children and others if you want to see those.

Pepe n Pilar
22nd September 2009, 20:25
Skilled Worker Category (Tier 2)

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/tier2/general/#header1

joebloggs
22nd September 2009, 21:49
All non EU members should not be given work permits, all of the money they earn, is sent out of the UK anyway, they add nothing to our way of life.

all the money they earn, what do they live off then :doh, those on workpermits cannot claim many benefits until they have at least ILR, and for most that means they've worked in the UK for 5yrs, unlike our non british european workers or lazy work shy brits :D