PDA

View Full Version : any nurse working in Glasgow?

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 15:13
hi!! i just got my visa last week. anybody here working or studying in Glasgow? i need some advice or any feedback about the place. i am enrolled in an NVQ course.

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 15:21
Congrats on getting your visa,hope you enjoy your stay in the UK,going to Glasgow?First thing to do is learn the language,they dont speak english :NoNo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXGP4Sez_Us&feature=related

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 15:24
what's their language? scottish?

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 15:27

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 15:46
thank you!!! i have watched the clip. oh my! it's so hard to understand!! i've repeated it for so many times, but i just cant really understand even a single phrase!!! shox!!

trader dave
1st September 2009, 15:48
Listen to the Youtube clip,its a very hardcore slang type of english(if that makes sense)my cousin lives in Caithness and I honestly dont understand 40% of her words :Erm:You will pick it up in time,but theres lots of people in here who actually live up there and can advise you better :) Good luck with your future :xxgrinning--00xx3:

ha ha ha i work with a glaswegan mind you he's been living in brummy land for a few years so he is a little easier to understand now:Erm::icon_lol:

C U JIMMY :Brick::Brick::doh

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 15:52
are there a lot of filiponos working in that place?

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 15:54

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 15:56

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 16:04
thanks a lot for that offer!!! now i'm already thinking if i could move to another place in UK. my sister lives in devon england. i hope i could just stay near her place.

what a challege God gave me!!wheew!!

i hope i wouldnt be shocked with their culture, the place and the languange.

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 16:10

Arthur Little
1st September 2009, 16:13

:Erm: ... After a fashion ... yes! :doh

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 16:17
i'm from Tarlac.

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 16:20
do you think i could be able to transfer immediatly? i heard it's so cold out there.

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 16:23

Arthur Little
1st September 2009, 16:32
... going to Glasgow?First thing to do is learn the language,they dont speak english :NoNo:

Haw, "Jimmy" ... havin' been boarn in tha' 'Dear Green :D Place', Ah really must protest ... in Glesca Parlance, :23_116_6[1]: ye unnerstaun' ... [or mibbe ye dinnae!] :NoNo:

Onyweys, Ah'm shair ye ken whit they say aboot the "Geordies" ... wi'oot me tellin' ye like!

Tawi2
1st September 2009, 16:36

Arthur Little
1st September 2009, 17:19
hi!! i just got my visa last week. anybody here working or studying in Glasgow? i need some advice or any feedback about the place. i am enrolled in an NVQ course.

Please excuse the good-natured banter between my friend Del [Tawi2] and I! Welcome to the forum and Congratulations on receiving your visa. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:Erm: Without being biased, I can assure you, you'll really LIKE working in Glasgow. Once upon a time ... as Scotland's largest, and most populous city ... it had a [somewhat undeserved] "tough" :xxsport-smiley-002: reputation (although no worse than Philippine cities of comparable size, e.g., Manila and/or Davao).

But these days are long gone, and indeed, just a few years ago, it was nominated as a European City of Culture. And you'll soon find that its citizens are a very friendly people on the whole - with :cwm38:s as "big" as the place itself ... and a sense of humour unrivalled anywhere on Earth.

Enjoy!

Arthur Little
1st September 2009, 17:28
Aye,ah dae,Jocks wi their heeds kecked en?:Erm::icon_lol:

:icon_lol: Spot-on, pal! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

laeci_11
1st September 2009, 17:50
thanks a lot for all your comments! hope i could still get a lot more from other people in the forum.

laeci_11
2nd September 2009, 04:22
more info about glasgow please!!!

james999
2nd September 2009, 06:30
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasgow_City
all you ever wanted to know about glasgow ,hope you enjoy your time here

laeci_11
2nd September 2009, 16:13
yeah i've seen the site before. with the article alone, i can see how beautiful the place is. anyway thanks.

i hope i could get comments from people who work and study there or who know someone working there.

Aikingmahal
2nd September 2009, 16:31
Hi ! I managed to meet a lot of filipinos in glasgow since moving from Aberdeen to the Central belt, West Lothian to be exact and it is about 20 minutes drive to glasgow. In fact there are two filipino association in the area and you can join any if you wish. About the glaswegian togue, you don't have to worry as it will come naturally and you will understand them in no time.
Just give us a shout if you need assistance when you come over!

All the best ! :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

laeci_11
2nd September 2009, 16:36
thanks!! may i know the name of the associations? hope i could meet a lot of pinoys there!

Aikingmahal
2nd September 2009, 16:42
thanks!! may i know the name of the associations? hope i could meet a lot of pinoys there!

One being Filglas and the other is still to be form with a group name, i think???
When are you coming over???

laeci_11
2nd September 2009, 16:45
i still dont have the exact date. i still have to go tomy agency on friday or next week. on the 1st week of october maybe.

Aikingmahal
2nd September 2009, 16:51
i still dont have the exact date. i still have to go tomy agency on friday or next week. on the 1st week of october maybe.

I will be off upto the 15th of october so will see you if you want and introduce you to other filipinos in the area.

Arthur Little
2nd September 2009, 16:56
About the glaswegian togue, you don't have to worry as it will come naturally and you will understand them in no time.

True! :iagree: And before you know it, you'll be talking the "lingo" in a Glaswegian dialect yourself ... :omg:

laeci_11
2nd September 2009, 17:07
I will be off upto the 15th of october so will see you if you want and introduce you to other filipinos in the area.

wow! thanks a lot!! see you there!!

JimOttley
3rd September 2009, 22:03
more info about glasgow please!!!

I'm a Scot my partner is from Manila, Ana finds it far easier to understand the Scots than any of the English people she has met, some English regional dialects are extremely hard to understand :D

If you are outgoing and approachable the Scots will be very friendly and very nice to you, I sometimes find the English a bit stand-offish ;)

I actually think our Scottish and Philippine cultures have a lot in common although I find it hard to put into words why I feel that way, we do still have the close family ties, a common belief in fairness to each other and so on.

You get free aircon for a very large part of the year, that is true and it rains a lot :) but where you jump out of airconditioned taxi's and into airconditioned malls we jump out of heated taxi's and into heated malls :icon_lol: well sometimes the taxi's are heated :)

In Glasgow, you are only 30 minutes from spectacular countryside in the form of the Trossachs indeed most cities in Scotland are only a few minutes from beautiful countryside.

Glasgow has some fantastic architecture and some of the best Museums and art galleries in the country, it is easy and sometimes cheap to get a flight from Glasgow airport to most other parts of the country it is a major provincial hub airport in that respect.

It's a cold place but the people are often warm and friendly and they really are not that hard to understand and I can tell you they will melt when they meet a warm smiling Filipino!

Jim

steadyfornow
4th September 2009, 19:40
congrats..:Hellooo:

Arthur Little
4th September 2009, 23:28
I'm a Scot my partner is from Manila, Ana finds it far easier to understand the Scots than any of the English people she has met, some English regional dialects are extremely hard to understand :D

Jim

:iagree: Ana is not alone in this, Jim. Myrna's the SAME! With ME being a Scot too, she finds it easier to understand MY accent than most of the English dialects you find on *television nowadays. Talking of *which, we frequently have the subtitles switched on because I'm getting a bit hard of hearing ... though perhaps LESS so when watching Scottish programmes like 'Taggart'.

Maybe Scots are more clearly understood because, on the whole, they tend to speak slowly and delberately.

JimOttley
5th September 2009, 00:06
:iagree: Ana is not alone in this, Jim. Myrna's the SAME! With ME being a Scot too, she finds it easier to understand MY accent than most of the English dialects you find on *television nowadays. Talking of *which, we frequently have the subtitles switched on because I'm getting a bit hard of hearing ... though perhaps LESS so when watching Scottish programmes like 'Taggart'.

Maybe Scots are more clearly understood because, on the whole, they tend to speak slowly and delberately.

Ana likes the subtitles on a lot of programs in the UK and on a lot of movies :D

Don't get me wrong her English is superb, she greatly outclasses the vast majority of English speaking Filipino's I have met but she still finds some accents hard.

American English is the favoured dialect and accent but a well spoken Scots accent is one of the clearest forms of English there is, sure we Scots have a whole deep vocabulary of our own but most of that is well understood almost everywhere in the UK ;) I could not say the same for Cornish :icon_lol:

I think it would be hard for most people to understand a drunk Scot in a bar in the east end of Glasgow, god I find that hard a lot of the time :icon_lol:

However the majority of us speak very clearly when we want or have too :)

Cheers Arthur!

Jim

GaryFifer
8th September 2009, 15:40
Away and boil yer head. So you telling me that Philippines have the Glasgow kiss?

JimOttley
8th September 2009, 19:48
Away and boil yer head. So you telling me that Philippines have the Glasgow kiss?

:icon_lol: Naw they don't an that's wan o the nice things aboot the place ;)

Jim

bystander09
9th September 2009, 10:31

Firstly congratulations on getting your visa..

I would not recommend Glasgow as the first port of call if you are fresh out of the Philippines. You will have language issues, the accent is very strong. Indigenous English people have difficulty understanding a Glaswegian accent... :doh

I would suggest Southern England where there is a vibrant Filipino community, and good job opportunities. The downside is that its more expensive to live in the South of England... :xxgrinning--00xx3:

bystander

tommyw
21st September 2009, 15:06
We go to Glasgow for our Filipino supplies, it's a great place!
i lived in the south of england for many years but found the friendliest people there
were generally immigrants!
Don't worry about Glasgow, you will love it and the people.

Regards, Tommy and Lyn.

gandriellehomes
22nd September 2009, 18:24
One being Filglas and the other is still to be form with a group name, i think???
When are you coming over???

nice to knoe there is filipino association in Glasgow as well.

GaryFifer
6th October 2009, 17:21

Sorry what?I don't understand. Can you speak Scottish.

James Hubbard
6th October 2009, 17:24
Sorry what?I don't understand. Can you speak Scottish.

ach aye, it's a geg!

pennybarry
9th October 2009, 13:53
You'll get used to it with their language.
During the first time I rang the DOLE office, it was also hard for me to speak with them. The office is in Glasgow and it will take an hour to finish my interview before I claim my benefits.:omg::omg:
pardon sir, again please! repeat again please:D

GaryFifer
9th October 2009, 14:07
You'll get used to it with their language.
During the first time I rang the DOLE office, it was also hard for me to speak with them. The office is in Glasgow and it will take an hour to finish my interview before I claim my benefits.:omg::omg:
pardon sir, again please! repeat again please:D

There's me thinking it's because there's a big que with you standing behind people like Rab C Nesbitt.

Rab: “Mary, you and I go back a long way to let a pound of dead meat come between us.”
Mary: “Let's leave our sex life out of this.”