PDA

View Full Version : Pinoy community, anyone?

JennetteG
5th November 2006, 19:59
Hi guys. I've been traveling between UK and Philippines since April and I haven't really had any opportunity to meet fellow pinays at all. I'm the only Pinay at work here and although I would see a few Filipinos on my weekend trips to the mall, they are often couples or young families that are too busy to get on with their shopping.

I'm going back home in December and there is a chance that I'll return and stay here for a full straight year in 2007. It will really be nice to meet and be introduced to a Filipino community to kick start my social life next year. I didn't really put much effort this year because I knew I won't be staying long here but...as they've said, all the best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry....

Appreciate if any one could give me some ideas to start with...

russ01539
5th November 2006, 20:06
The UK is a large place, so where do you live and maybe some members of the forum will be happy to meet up.

My wife is friends with a number of filipino's in our area, but its maybe not where u plan to live.

JennetteG
5th November 2006, 20:11
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently staying in Staines, Middlesex.

jbt
5th November 2006, 20:25
:) how i wish your place is near oxfordshire...since, i still havent met any filipinos yet and have seen at least 3 pinoyshere but they seem a bit unapproachable........but as they always say....you can always start to look for filipinos in a catholic church near you......

:) :) :)
jonah

ginapeterb
6th November 2006, 08:45
Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently staying in Staines, Middlesex.

60,000 Filipinos living in Greater London, come to Club FM on Fridays and Saturdays its at 184, Uxbridge road, London W12, you will see lots of them, and come and meet Nugroovz the best Filipino 2nd generation band in UK.

KeithD
6th November 2006, 10:35
Pete's a groupie :D

andypaul
6th November 2006, 22:44
You will find quite a few Filipinos around west london, near staines Ashford has a large number of Filipinos working in its Hospital.

Heathrow Airport has many working in and around it, espeically the Hotels.

One place to try is the Shops there is one in west drayton and of course many in Earls court.
In and around the hounslow areas i think Phill events sometimes happen other than the big festival in the Sumer. I think the Heathrow Bowl on the bath road has a Phill bowling league, but we have never been so i don't know much about it to tell you the truth.

Like JBT said try the local Catholic Churches.

Many Filipinos like many other people who come to the UK from abroad, may not be intrested in meeting people who are fellow country people.
I know when abroad while i will never ignore or be rude to a brit who chats to me i won't be their "Best buddy" just because they are British.

There seems to be differnt groups in the Filipino community in the local area round our way.
There are the families who have lived here for years and the children were brought up in the UK.
The workers or students just passing though.
The Nurses and their families.
The spouses.
The workers here overstaying their orignal Visa.

As you have found out people may or may not be friendly some younger ones may not even speak Tagalog or other phill languages particularly well.

My Wife has met some who tend to be quite into bragging about this and that, which thankfully is not the way either of us (Thankfully with my Bank balance)

My Wife has friends who are Filipinos she has met here, but she has just as many who are not Filipino and from orignally all over the world.

We all like to be surrounded by people who have similar backgrounds to us, but in a place like London you can meet people from every culture and country in the World who you might never meet living in Phill.

JennetteG
7th November 2006, 23:45
To AndyPaul,

I've made some friends while I'm here and the experience helped me adjust easily to the way of life. I'm not much into drinking alcohol which seem to be the norm in any social gathering I go to and so I just try to not go to too many.

It's just that sometimes it would really be nice to chat about things only a fellow Filipino would be able to comprehend - the silliness or the sentimentality on certain subjects and the fact that I can converse in my own language. It's really ironic that the longer that I am out of my own country, the more I feel so patriotic...a concept that in the past I just pay lip service to.

andypaul
8th November 2006, 20:51
To AndyPaul,

I've made some friends while I'm here and the experience helped me adjust easily to the way of life. I'm not much into drinking alcohol which seem to be the norm in any social gathering I go to and so I just try to not go to too many.

It's just that sometimes it would really be nice to chat about things only a fellow Filipino would be able to comprehend - the silliness or the sentimentality on certain subjects and the fact that I can converse in my own language. It's really ironic that the longer that I am out of my own country, the more I feel so patriotic...a concept that in the past I just pay lip service to.

I understand exactly what you mean, the best place is probaly the Phill shops, when my Wife takes me a long to them. I notice a lot more people hanging around than you would a british shop of the same size.

I would recomend a trip up to earls court with two cafes, one bar/resturant, at least three grocery shops and a few hair salons, banks, remitance and phone shops all for Filipinos and run by filpinos.

You will also be able to pick up free newspapers printed by the local pinoy community which have lots of info on events around london.

In nearby barons court (two stops from earls court on the tube) is the fillipino centre which runs various courses and events though out the year.

To get to Earls court from staines should be quite easy just get to the picadilly line and its a half hour or so away.

vbkelly
20th November 2006, 13:36
i think everywhere here in uk a lots of pinays n pinoys but some of them a bit snubbish specially some of the nurses, sorry guys thats what i can comment to our fellowmen

ginapeterb
20th November 2006, 15:32
i think everywhere here in uk a lots of pinays n pinoys but some of them a bit snubbish specially some of the nurses, sorry guys thats what i can comment to our fellowmen

Yes it has been noted before, that the Nurses think they are a little 'sosyal' and put on airs and graces, youre not the only one to think that, it has been said they think they are in a higher class than the spouses, they have been heard to say " We work for a living' they simply failed to realize that many of the spouses have jobs also, but never mind the buzzcocks on that one...

Doc898
21st November 2006, 10:58

You're actually right...not only nurses in the uk though, i think most of our fellowman living/working abroad. On my personal experience, i've been travelling to america and singapore before i got married to an english guy, and i met few pinays working from these countries who are air-headed and hypocrites as well. No offense meant,but some of them were not the same person who once lived in the philippines anymore..especially those who came from middle/lower class! :xxmixed-smiley-017: Sorry but it's true. :) Honestly, i don't have any pinay friends since i got here..not because i don't want to but because i haven't met one from our place yet. My bestfriend is a lithuanian girl whom i met two years ago when i had my holiday here, and a nice chinese girl married to my husband's bestfriend. We all get along very well and enjoyed each other's company.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

vbkelly
22nd November 2006, 16:11
its so funny guys i went to the city centre with my hubby and i saw a group of pilipino nurses i know some of them noong papalapit na kami sa kanila ang iba umiiwas then my husband said to me,you know what they are ignorant people.waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

vbkelly
22nd November 2006, 16:18
anyway guys you are invited this coming dec18 for filipino gathering here in coventry at wingwah restaurant at a45 we just pay £15 each but eat all you can hehehe. anybody live near in cov?or wherever you are attend naman kayo so just let me know....kita kitz!!!

ettennom
3rd February 2007, 01:57
how is it dealing with life there in uk??? i mean are people there friendly like pinoys?

might be there with my bf this year..im a bit scared coz i dont know that country.

hope 2 hear from u soon.

my bf lives in dublin

MC79
7th August 2007, 11:12
hello

i just joined this forum and i wanna meet new filipinos is that club fm still open i wanna go this friday night?

KeithD
7th August 2007, 12:55
You don't have to plaster the same question all over the forum!!

pennybarry
7th August 2007, 16:08
Hi guys. I've been traveling between UK and Philippines since April and I haven't really had any opportunity to meet fellow pinays at all. I'm the only Pinay at work here and although I would see a few Filipinos on my weekend trips to the mall, they are often couples or young families that are too busy to get on with their shopping.

I'm going back home in December and there is a chance that I'll return and stay here for a full straight year in 2007. It will really be nice to meet and be introduced to a Filipino community to kick start my social life next year. I didn't really put much effort this year because I knew I won't be staying long here but...as they've said, all the best laid schemes of mice and men often go awry....

Appreciate if any one could give me some ideas to start with...

I wish you'll meet my niece. She will arrive on Sept 2 at Middlesex Carehome. She's a young doctor and wanting to meet filipinas when arrived. Get in touch

joebloggs
7th August 2007, 18:42
I wish you'll meet my niece. She will arrive on Sept 2 at Middlesex Carehome. She's a young doctor and wanting to meet filipinas when arrived. Get in touch

:Hellooo: your niece is a young doc penny ?