PDA

View Full Version : Manila Supermarket - Earls Court

peterdavid
6th December 2004, 16:28
Anyone discovered this yet? I'm sure everyone has. However, for those that haven't, it's a little taste of the Philippines in Earls Court, complete with dodgy window mounted air con unit, bananas that look like they were grown in the grounds of Chernobyl, packing boxes cluttering up every tiny aisle and meat freezers full of Philippine delicacies such as pigs blood (!) and other animal parts and leftovers you normally throw away.

Plus you can get a nice little supply of other Philippine products, without having to queue for three and a half weeks at an SM checkout counter.

Sadly, SM style mini-skirted uniforms aren't imposed on the staff.

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 16:40
Peter thank you for that post....its one the places that has been mentioned here before, have you been there recently, and can you confirm the address for us, also is their any parking nearby, and how far is it from Earls court Tube., any further information, i.e. prices..what can be purchased would be helpful, we await your reply.

peterdavid
6th December 2004, 22:10
Peter thank you for that post....its one the places that has been mentioned here before, have you been there recently, and can you confirm the address for us, also is their any parking nearby, and how far is it from Earls court Tube., any further information, i.e. prices..what can be purchased would be helpful, we await your reply.

We went there a few weeks back. It won't take up more than about 30 minutes of your time, max, as it's only a tiny little place, but it allowed the wife to pick up a collection of quirky little brands that you otherwise can only get in the Philippines. (She declined the pigs blood).

Address is 11-12 Hogarth Place, Earls Court, SW5 0QT. I've got a telephone number here, but don't know if it's correct (have never used it) - 0207 373 8305.

It is right next to Earl's Court tube station (providing you take the correct exit - not sure which number it is but just ask a guard which is the exit for Hogarth Place - you can see the Tube station from the shop, it is literally just a minute or 2 from the station to the shop).

There is limited on street parking outside, at the usual rip off London parking rates - and considering there's only a handful of spaces, you're probably better off getting the tube there unless a fruitless amble around earl's court for hours at a time waiting for a space is your favoured way to spend an afternoon.

Prices - from what I can remember, it wasn't necessarily that cheap (to be honest, I didn't really check the prices, they could have triple charged me and I wouldn't realise) - I think their prices are on a par with what you would expect to pay elsewhere in the UK (anyone expecting philippine prices is in for a shock). However, dispensing with normal Philippine practice, they do take the usual switch and visa/mastercard cards, so you shouldn't be caught short.

As for what goods - non perishables, mainly, plus some frozen meat and some rank looking vegetables (wouldn't bother with those, to be honest) - plus some chicharon - mmmmm. I could feel my arteries hardening as I put them in the shopping basket. You can get things like philippine style soy sauce, noodles, pancit etc etc. The only thing missing was an elderly philippine couple eating their dinner off a makeshift table in the corner of the store as if it was their front living room.

Probably not worth making a special trip to see, unless you're desperately craving something filipino (I mean food wise, not girls, boom boom), but if you're in the area, interesting to pop in just for the novelty value - I don't know of any other philippine business in the UK!!

ginapeterb
6th December 2004, 23:59
That is very informative Peter thank you, certainly maybe worth a visit when honey comes over to spend some time here, maybe we can pickup some Pancit, maybe some ingredients to make rice products, but I must admit thats a very helpful post. thanks for that.

Oishii
15th March 2005, 09:37
Hi Guys,

My name is Paul. I'm new here and wish I had found this site 3 and a half years ago, when I met my Filipina beauty.

It's a bit late for me to find out about the shop in Earls Court, 'cos I'm of to the Phil's next Monday, 21st March, but for those who are interested, there is a Philippino shop in the London NW8 area also. It's at the eastern end of Church Street, which runs between Edgware Road and Lisson Grove. Again, a very small shop but packed full of more or less the same as the Earls Court shop.

ginapeterb
15th March 2005, 21:26
Originally posted by Oishii@Mar 15 2005, 08:37 AM
Hi Guys,

My name is Paul. I'm new here and wish I had found this site 3 and a half years ago, when I met my Filipina beauty.

It's a bit late for me to find out about the shop in Earls Court, 'cos I'm of to the Phil's next Monday, 21st March, but for those who are interested, there is a Philippino shop in the London NW8 area also. It's at the eastern end of Church Street, which runs between Edgware Road and Lisson Grove. Again, a very small shop but packed full of more or less the same as the Earls Court shop.

Quoted post

Paul, can we have the address of this shop please as its closer to me than the Earls court one, I work around Edgware road sometimes, so that would be nice to know..I will go and have a look one day.

Admin
15th March 2005, 22:09
Also a shop in Rhyl market, sells the usual dried fish to be cooked in vinegar and garlic to keep us Brits out the house :rolleyes:

Oishii
15th March 2005, 23:18
Hi Pete,

I walk past it almost every day, so I'll check out the address tomorrow and post it.

Paul.

Oishii
16th March 2005, 14:14
Hi Guys,

The Philippino store near Edgware Road is:
Sampaquita Joy
48 Church Street,
London,
NW8.

Tel: 02077234351

There is a good market in Church Street on Friday, which doubles in size on Saturdays.

Take care folks,

Paul & Jas.

andypaul
28th May 2005, 11:10
I have visted the Shop in Earls Court, when i went there to get a package send off by parcel firm using the Shop as a Drop off point.

Shop is what we might call a mini market in the UK.

As all ready mentioned is just a quick walk from Earls Court Underground.

Jenn my Wife is glad they had such delacies as Chippy Chips. So looks like we will be making regular vists to the Store once Jenn is here with me.