PDA

View Full Version : Immigration and asylum statistics released

LadyJ
30th August 2009, 22:39
27 August 2009

Annual immigration statistics for 2008 and quarterly immigration figures for April to June 2009, covering migration from Eastern Europe, asylum applications and removals and voluntary departures, were published by the Home Office today.

The figures show that work applications from the eight accession countries have continued to fall in 2009. In the second quarter of this year there were 26,150 applications from workers in Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Hungary, Slovakia, Slovenia, Estonia and the Czech Republic - down from 46,070 in the same period in 2008.

The number of Bulgarian and Romanians applying for accession worker cards also continues to fall. There were 580 applications in the second quarter of 2009, a fall of 43 per cent, compared to the same quarter in 2008.

The Office of National Statistics (ONS) published figures earlier today that show net-migration fell to 118,000 in 2008, from 209,000 in 2007, the lowest since the eight accession countries joined the EU in 2004.

In the first half of 2009, 30,435 people illegally in the United Kingdom were removed or voluntarily departed from the country, including 2,550 foreign prisoners. The latest figures also confirm that a total 67,980 people were removed or voluntarily departed in 2008.

Individuals seeking asylum in the United Kingdom has remained broadly at the same level over the past four years. It is less than a third of the level when it peaked in 2002. Applications for asylum in the second quarter of 2009 were 6,045 compared with 5,830 in quarter two 2008. The Home Office is now concluding 60 per cent of new asylum cases within six months.

Border and Immigration Minister Phil Woolas said:

'The fall in net-migration is further proof that migrants come to the UK for short periods of time, work, contribute to the economy and then return home. Our new flexible points based system gives us greater control on those coming to work or study from outside Europe, ensuring that only those that Britain need can come.

'Britain's borders are stronger than ever before. Our border controls in northern France are stopping record numbers of migrants reaching our shores - 28,000 in 2008.

'We are rolling out ID cards to foreign nationals, we have introduced civil penalties for those employing illegal workers and from the end of next year our electronic border system will monitor 95 per cent of journeys in and out of the UK.

'The British people can be confident that immigration is under control.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/newsarticles/2009/august/immigration-asylum-stats-release

LadyJ
30th August 2009, 22:40
'Britain's borders are stronger than ever before'

I hope these are all true.

aromulus
31st August 2009, 09:22
'Britain's borders are stronger than ever before'

I hope these are all true.

Don't hold your breath, dear.....:NoNo:

That statement may be true only if it applies to people asking for legal visas to enter the country.:NoNo:

Wales is getting swamped by illegals that come over on the ferries from Ireland.
A "woodentop" that allegedly works at the ferry terminal told me a few tales about it.:NoNo:

KeithD
31st August 2009, 09:23
...because it makes her boobs stick out more? :ARsurrender:

aromulus
31st August 2009, 09:28

Is getting colder, isn't it...???:D

joebloggs
31st August 2009, 09:53
e-borders http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/managingborders/technology/eborders/

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8126161.stm

But travel operators warned it could breach EU laws on data collection. :icon_lol: another reason to :action-smiley-081: the EU,

also Lords cut Irish travel from e-Borders :doh, being a member of EU, low life's can use the family permit to stay/enter in the EU, travel to Ireland and then enter the UK without any checks by the backdoor :doh.

no point in having any controls, everyone will just come thru Ireland :ARsurrender:

Tawi2
31st August 2009, 12:06

ukgangster
31st August 2009, 12:11
Wales is getting swamped by illegals that come over on the ferries from Ireland.

Should be:

Wales is getting swamped by Scousers that come over on cars and buses from England. :D

joebloggs
31st August 2009, 12:22
Should be:

Wales is getting swamped by Scousers that come over on cars and buses from England. :D

might not be true about the buses because of EU law :icon_lol:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article956681.ece

:doh

somebody
31st August 2009, 18:29
I thought they were ramping up Checks between Ireland and the UK. I will ask maties who fly over for the football on regular basis if they have noticed any difference.

aromulus
31st August 2009, 19:02
I thought they were ramping up Checks between Ireland and the UK.

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Think again......:rolleyes:

somebody
31st August 2009, 19:29
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Think again......:rolleyes:

so did this never happen i remeber the irish all moaning when it came in.. Meant they got one less beer in:D

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-checks-between-uk-and-ireland-restored-876790.html

joebloggs
31st August 2009, 19:57
so did this never happen i remeber the irish all moaning when it came in.. Meant they got one less beer in:D

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/passport-checks-between-uk-and-ireland-restored-876790.html

nope i don't think so, the Irish route is used by illegal immigrants to enter and leave the uk so they can apply for family permits :D

aromulus
31st August 2009, 20:05
All I did was to show my driver's licence at the Ryanair desk at check in....:omg:

After that no one asked me to see my travel documents, not even in Manchester.:doh

Anyone can get into the green channel and nobody the wiser....:doh

Customs, the last bastion... Another sick joke....:NoNo:

belfast_dude
31st August 2009, 20:11

That statement may be true only if it applies to people asking for legal visas to enter the country.:NoNo:

A "woodentop" that allegedly works at the ferry terminal told me a few tales about it.:NoNo:

teach me.....

what is a woodentop?

somebody
31st August 2009, 20:13
All I did was to show my driver's licence at the Ryanair desk at check in....:omg:

After that no one asked me to see my travel documents, not even in Manchester.:doh

Anyone can get into the green channel and nobody the wiser....:doh

Customs, the last bastion... Another sick joke....:NoNo:
Maybe they thought what ilegal would be crazy enbough to want to go to manchester:D

On the other hand entering a london Airport is much stricter and personally think road blocks and checks on the trains to stop non londoners would be handy.:rolleyes:

belfast_dude
31st August 2009, 20:13

them irish are always moaning.....lol.....i shud know ...i am one...:Cuckoo:

somebody
31st August 2009, 20:21
them irish are always moaning.....lol.....i shud know ...i am one...:Cuckoo:

They do like a moan at the football if the beer drinking time is affected for any reason and who can blame them:D

LadyJ
31st August 2009, 20:51

Why? What do you think of my boobies?:Erm: they're not fake.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
31st August 2009, 20:58
Why? What do you think of my boobies?:Erm: they're not fake.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

you'll be sorry you said that :doh

:D

LadyJ
31st August 2009, 21:01
you'll be sorry you said that :doh

:D

It's OK Joe, proud and content of what I have:xxgrinning--00xx3:... someone is just jealous:D

somebody
31st August 2009, 21:38
It's OK Joe, proud and content of what I have:xxgrinning--00xx3:... someone is just jealous:DMr admin po wants a Boob job:omg: