PDA

View Full Version : Gusto mo ng bayawak?

Tawi2
28th August 2009, 12:09

miss.piggy
28th August 2009, 12:12
I've eaten bayawak when I was little..on one of our family trips to Baguio. It tastes like chicken...same with frog!

I'll say pass on dogs though..arf! arf! :)

ca143
28th August 2009, 12:27
hmmmmmmmmmmm.....yummy:icon_lol:

Tawi2
28th August 2009, 12:28

Alan
28th August 2009, 12:39
Rather you than me Tawi. As I stated in an earlier thread - I am with Arthur Little - sausage, egg and chips!!

Al.:)

miss.piggy
28th August 2009, 12:39
I've heard about this...head is used for offering and they are feasting on the body (meat). It's a bit disturbing :omg: ...

I'll stick with bayawak and frogs...still no to dogs, and a big noh!!! to human corpse!!

Tawi2
28th August 2009, 12:49

JimOttley
28th August 2009, 13:20
I have eaten a lot of street foods but nothing really unusual, pretty tame stuff to be honest.

I'm not averse to trying things but I have been made pretty ill a few times by street food and one time when Nanay brought some extra food she had cooked for relatives (that morning) back from the province, just unlucky that time I think but I was violently sick had to go to hospital it was so bad :)

Ana eats lots of strange things but I could not tell you the names of any, I'm not good at remembering stuff like that.

eljean
28th August 2009, 14:50
have you tried ginamos?(saging hilaw sawsaw sa ginamos with suka og sili)green raw short like banana in the philippines dipped in salted tiny fish with salt with vinegar and chilli.:D

triple5
28th August 2009, 15:04
I don't mind trying anything once :) When I was in Davao I tried raw eggs with the embryo inside and chicken blood soup (not sure of the exact name for either). Can't say I enjoyed either, but when in Rome and all that. Any suggestions, Tawi2, on foods to try next time?

miss.piggy
28th August 2009, 15:05
Raw eggs with embryo??? :yikes::omg:
You're not talking about 'Balut', are you?

Tawi2
28th August 2009, 15:08

triple5
28th August 2009, 15:10
Yep, "Balut" thats it.

pumpkins
28th August 2009, 15:47
Yep, "Balut" thats it.

balut:yikes: i only eat the yellow thing there but not the tiny hairy duck inside with the peak:Rasp::Rasp::Rasp:

speaking of balut.....
balut vendor shouting here now...
baluuuuuuuuuuut............:laugher::laugher::laugher::laugher:

JimOttley
28th August 2009, 19:40
Whatever they stick in front of you mate,I always eat it,they are kind enough to offer so I am always grateful enough to accept,if someone has nothing but they offer you the little they have I would never refuse,I ate dolphin there once in a fishermans driftwood shack :xxgrinning--00xx3: I have some pics somewhere of Balut,the embryonic duck eggs,cant remember where they are though :Erm:

Yes that is good grace Tawi, I'm a Scot but the first time I ever ate Tahong was in a hut in Las Pinas many years ago when I was sharing time with my new brothers :)

I was scared shitless as I had avoided mussels my entire life and I had really clear visions in my mind as to where these shells had grown up, a very popular dish in Glasgow by the way :)

In the end I was fine, in Scotland I would have refused and missed out on an a great experience but in the Phils I could not possibly be an ingrate so I was forced to grow up a little.

Exposure to a foreign culture and to poverty is something that will educate you whether you want to be educated or not and that I think is a good thing for anyone.

Balut on the other hand is utterly disgusting, I have tasted the liquor from a Balut and it was very very nice but my brain cant get round the underlying thought of what it really is, oddest thing in my life no problem with the taste just the packaging :)

According to most Filipinos I've met Balut is supposed to be an aphrodisiac :)

Jim

Tawi2
28th August 2009, 20:29

IainBusby
28th August 2009, 21:18
Yep, "Balut" thats it.

I've always been very adventurous when it comes to food and I've always maintained that I'll try anything once........ but I draw the line at balut. :vomit-smiley-011:

Northerner
28th August 2009, 21:36
:cwm3: Think that is a bit too adventurous for me:Erm: If I really have to choose, I'm eating fruit from the market before I touch balut or one of those more "exotic" things. Although, hats off to Tawi for having the guts to go and eat all these things. I think even Ian Wright from Globe Trekker would say no to some of these things, and he's eaten some crazy s:censored:t:Erm:

Nah, I'm going to wimp out on this trip. I'll try pretty much anything until it offends my delicate western stomach:)

acs
28th August 2009, 21:38
have you tried ginamos?(saging hilaw sawsaw sa ginamos with suka og sili)green raw short like banana in the philippines dipped in salted tiny fish with salt with vinegar and chilli.:D

wow i miss that one miss eljean :bigcry:...though i got ginamos here..havent had any unripe banana (saging hilaw) husband one day waken up and i'm cooking the ginamos with tomatoes..had gotten into the kitchen and ask ..whats that smell:yikes::icon_lol::icon_lol: got to open all the windows of the house :Cuckoo:

eljean
28th August 2009, 23:22
wow i miss that one miss eljean :bigcry:...though i got ginamos here..havent had any unripe banana (saging hilaw) husband one day waken up and i'm cooking the ginamos with tomatoes..had gotten into the kitchen and ask ..whats that smell:yikes::icon_lol::icon_lol: got to open all the windows of the house :Cuckoo:

hehe...i had some ginamos given by a friend of mine here but then when you seem not to have it for ages and then have it back, it taste too salty for you now, as in here they don't use much of salt...and also i did once fried bulad(dried salty fish)here and its smells so bad, everyone is complaining and covering their noses :rolleyes:anyway i used febreeze to get rid of the smell:D

JimOttley
29th August 2009, 00:00
he said something along the lines of you cant truly understand a people unless you have lived with them,f***ed them,fought with them,and drank with them,I got the badge on all counts :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Aye sir, I think that comes across pretty well :) :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 09:51

Sim11UK
29th August 2009, 12:48
Balut, I have tried, which isn't really as bad as it sounds....it's just more the thought of what it is really.
Kwik kwik, I really liked. It's just a hard boiled egg, in a sort of batter.
Last time I was there, we did eat a few meals, where the real Filipinos eat....I'm quite adventurous, when it comes to food.....Did get quite a bad stomach upset though.
Ladybug sim. was telling me the other day, when she was a little girl, they had no food to eat before they went to school, so her dad would catch frogs and fry them.....i'd be quite happy to give that a go.
As for the fruit mango's, pomello, mangosteen etc. mmmmmm lovely

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 13:02

bornatbirth
29th August 2009, 20:30
considering they cremate most food,you can eat most of it no probs.

its a good job my wife is a city girl and i never got to sample such delights!

Sophie
29th August 2009, 20:49
theres lots of documented evidence on the cannibalism in the Cordilleras,the Bontoc Igorot, Kalinga, and Ifugao were all renown headhunters

:omg::omg::omg: lol, that's scary:yikes::yikes::D:D:D:D

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 21:05

Northerner
29th August 2009, 22:15
Loads of fruits there Northerner,dont forget to try Durian if you didnt have it in Thailand :xxgrinning--00xx3:I was told in Borneo an Orang Utang can smell a ripe Durian tree from over a kilometer away in thick jungle :Erm:

Hmmm.. I have read they taste like a mixture of dog s:censored:t and detergent! Banned from flights and hotels:xxgrinning--00xx3: Sounds like the kind of fruit they serve to foolish westerners wishing to partake in the "exotic":icon_lol:

Think I'll stick to the mango's:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
29th August 2009, 22:17
A lot of brits think "Real Filipino" food is Jollibee :icon_lol:

:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry: Please tell me it is!!! Pleeeeeeaasseee:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::icon_lol:

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 22:18

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 22:19

Northerner
29th August 2009, 22:26
Taste like heaven and smell like hell is a commoner description,but Hey,I always say if somethings good enough for an orang utang its good enough for little old me :icon_lol:Its banned from hotel rooms and verbotten on airlines because of the all pervading stench,open a fresh one and inhale,do yourself a favour,it will clear your sinuses and singe your nasal hairs off at the follicles :icon_lol:But it actually tastes great,try some Durian ice-cream :xxgrinning--00xx3: Go on,dont be a wuss :icon_lol:

:Rasp: Yeah, right:Erm: Take a look at this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75vm9ik5pjo) and seriously think, Am I going near one of those? :action-smiley-081::icon_lol:

No...

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 22:30

Northerner
29th August 2009, 22:36
To be fair that guy is making a bit of a prat of himself,overacting like a soap opera "actor" its not that bad,in fact its nit bad at all and your not going to find out unless you try some are you :xxgrinning--00xx3:Dont let the side down,otherwise we "Southerners" wont think much of you limp-wristed northerners :rolleyes: all bib and braces :icon_lol: put a dab of vics in your nostrils to block the scent :xxgrinning--00xx3:

OOOOooooohh.. A challenge:icon_lol: Tell you what. Post a picture of yourself eating one of these "fruits of satan" and I'll post a similar pic of me in 60 odd days from now:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 23:20

Northerner
29th August 2009, 23:28
balls in your court :icon_lol:

Right then:xxgrinning--00xx3: It's on:D In 60 odd days I will post a few pictures on here, one of me smelling the awfull fruit, and then another one of me putting it in my mouth!

:D

TERMS AND CONDITIONS BEING THAT IF I VOMIT OR PASS OUT AFTER INDUCING SAID FRUIT, THOSE PICTURES OF ME VOMITING OR PASSING OUT SHALL NOT BE POSTED

Tawi2
29th August 2009, 23:32

Ji&Ma
29th August 2009, 23:33
:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::bigcry: Please tell me it is!!! Pleeeeeeaasseee:bigcry::bigcry::bigcry::icon_lol:

You wish!

But durian is actually nice, try the ice cream with durian flavour - you can get them in 7-11 or anywhere else...

but - still smells :omg::D:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: