PDA

View Full Version : Sticky rice?

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 17:31
I wonder if anyone actually makes sticky rice in UK?:Erm:

Northerner
26th August 2009, 17:34
There used to be a place in Manchester called Cebu Cafe. Closed down now, was situated in a bad place to begin with at the top of Tib street. Sad really, had I have known about it before it closed, I would have tried it out.. As I'm still a Pinas newbie, I'm kind of curious to try some Filipino food:rolleyes:

trader dave
26th August 2009, 17:41
i have had it at gatherings the ex used to make it, i still got frozen bananna leaves in the freezer :doh

cant beat with manga for breakfast

Ann07
26th August 2009, 17:42

oi Tawi kalami ana:NoNo::NoNo::bigcry::bigcry:

Dont see any here:bigcry::bigcry:Back in the the PI every weekend my auntie makes sticky rice yummy with malagkit :D:doh

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 17:46
I love sticky rice,got a pic somewhere of the cocoa plant in the back garden,its best with cocoa added :icon_lol:Dave,I cannot believe the price of banana leaves here,I think the Thai shop in Kew sells them for £1.50 each?:Erm:

trader dave
26th August 2009, 17:47
There used to be a place in Manchester called Cebu Cafe. Closed down now, was situated in a bad place to begin with at the top of Tib street. Sad really, had I have known about it before it closed, I would have tried it out.. As I'm still a Pinas newbie, I'm kind of curious to try some Filipino food:rolleyes:

plenty of street food vendors selling what ever you fancy:xxgrinning--00xx3:

am sure your rizza will show you :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ann07
26th August 2009, 17:59
I love sticky rice,got a pic somewhere of the cocoa plant in the back garden,its best with cocoa added :icon_lol:Dave,I cannot believe the price of banana leaves here,I think the Thai shop in Kew sells them for £1.50 each?:Erm:

Banana leaves

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/index.asp?function=SEARCH

lizaphil
26th August 2009, 18:54
Banana leaves

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/index.asp?function=SEARCH

did you been in sea woo cash and carry???greenwich london
lots of banana leaves there

miss.piggy
26th August 2009, 19:10
did you been in sea woo cash and carry???greenwich london
lots of banana leaves there
ayan na -- Liza: the pinoy food explorer! By the way, thanks for the year supply of dried fish Liza. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hmmm..suman (sticky rice)..missing that one too.

tiN
26th August 2009, 20:06
U make me drool tawi2:bigcry::bigcry:

Tonet
26th August 2009, 20:54
One time i ate in a thai restaurant and they have that sticky rice and it taste the same, when i came home i search on internet the recipe of "suman" tried it myself and it turned out fine. Yummy with coconut jam then fry it next morning for breakfast.:)

Ana_may365
26th August 2009, 21:51
i cook bico twice[sticky rice/coconut milk/red sugar]here already:BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy::BouncyHappy:it takes a week b4 i eat it all coz hubby dont like sweet foods.much better if it is fresh coconut milk:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:coz i only use the coconut milk in can:D:D:D

Northerner
26th August 2009, 21:54
U make me drool tawi2:bigcry::bigcry:

Word's Tawi loves to hear from a lady:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 22:01
Word's Tawi loves to hear from a lady:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

You mean words I will probably hear if ever I work as a care-giver :bigcry:Thats about the only time a lady will ever say those words to me :icon_lol: Forget sea woo Liza,just take a bolo into the glass-houses in Kew Gardens,they have fresh banana leaves and lemon grass growing :xxgrinning--00xx3:(better add,dont get caught :NoNo:).

Northerner
26th August 2009, 22:25
I'm going to have to try some of this sticky rice when I get over there in 2 months:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
26th August 2009, 22:36
:NoNo: Think I'll "STICK" with bacon, sausage & egg ... thanks very much!!!

[Not forgetting the 'french fries' (chips to us Brits) of course]

pennybarry
27th August 2009, 19:16

We call it malagkit here Tawi. Sticky rice or malahkit is best for suman, arrozcaldo, champorado and puto. We have malagkit at farm so come here and be my visitor ehehehe my pleasure.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

i have had it at gatherings the ex used to make it, i still got frozen bananna leaves in the freezer :doh

cant beat with manga for breakfast

http://filipinaroses.com/copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10832&pos=0

Not for breakfast Dave lol but for my merienda! Green mango shake is my favourite. What sort of mango u like? We have 2 pahutan mango trees, 15 carabao mangoes 8 Indian mangoes and 1 pico mango. :)

Tawi2
27th August 2009, 20:08
I will be over in the morning pen,put the kettle on mate :xxgrinning--00xx3: Enjoy your holiday and try and get some pics of nice fruits :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tiN
27th August 2009, 20:30

Oh dear :doh:doh:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

eljean
27th August 2009, 23:24
we call it puto maya....:D

Tawi2
27th August 2009, 23:35
we call it puto maya....:D
I always called it Puto as well :xxgrinning--00xx3:Might be because I am from the North-east like your husband.

bornatbirth
28th August 2009, 00:07

depends on what you use to make it sticky?

Tawi2
28th August 2009, 11:24
Its glutinous isnt it :xxgrinning--00xx3: I dont think your mind is on sticky rice,more something else :rolleyes:

Alan
28th August 2009, 11:40
:NoNo: Think I'll "STICK" with bacon, sausage & egg ... thanks very much!!!

[Not forgetting the 'french fries' (chips to us Brits) of course]

Seconded!:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Al.:)

trader dave
28th August 2009, 12:08
We call it malagkit here Tawi. Sticky rice or malahkit is best for suman, arrozcaldo, champorado and puto. We have malagkit at farm so come here and be my visitor ehehehe my pleasure.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://filipinaroses.com/copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=10832&pos=0

Not for breakfast Dave lol but for my merienda! Green mango shake is my favourite. What sort of mango u like? We have 2 pahutan mango trees, 15 carabao mangoes 8 Indian mangoes and 1 pico mango. :)

not so keen on the green ones i have a little when MRS T eats them she dips them in some vinegar :omg:

i like very juicy fresh ripe ones with a little suman sticky rice i would have after every meal if we have them on the table and as for shakes ooooooooo loverly :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sophie
29th August 2009, 15:22

oh i miss this one actually....:Rasp::Rasp::rolleyes::rolleyes:

JimOttley
29th August 2009, 15:50
not so keen on the green ones i have a little when MRS T eats them she dips them in some vinegar :omg:

i like very juicy fresh ripe ones with a little suman sticky rice i would have after every meal if we have them on the table and as for shakes ooooooooo loverly :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

How do you know your wife is pregnant?

It's midnight and she's just sent her sister out to buy green mango and Bagoong :icon_lol:

islander
31st August 2009, 17:34
My husband & I have tried eating sticky rice in a Thai restaurant in Cebu, which is just similar to puto maya or suman. He liked it a lot so we bought malagkit/ glutinous rice in Phils. & brought it back to UK.

Then my husband made sticky rice using rice cooker following the thai way of cooking it, it turned out very well, very delicious especially with mango!

trader dave
31st August 2009, 17:56
How do you know your wife is pregnant?

It's midnight and she's just sent her sister out to buy green mango and Bagoong :icon_lol:

:yikes::yikes: if she pregnant there going to be BIG BIG BIG PROBLEM :omg: cause i had the chop a few years back :icon_lol: i think they are eaten just before the red rag week arrives :doh:icon_lol:

trader dave
31st August 2009, 18:03
another favorite i like to eat is siopao :Rasp::Rasp: and banana cake:Rasp:

and that very very light sponge cake:Erm: cant think of the name at the moment:doh making me feel hungry :icon_lol: how do they make cakes so loverly and light in the philippines:doh

Northerner
31st August 2009, 22:56
another favorite i like to eat is siopao :Rasp::Rasp: and banana cake:Rasp:

and that very very light sponge cake:Erm: cant think of the name at the moment:doh making me feel hungry :icon_lol: how do they make cakes so loverly and light in the philippines:doh

99% self-raising flour :Erm::icon_lol:

trader dave
1st September 2009, 01:44
senior moment over:Erm: its chiffon cake:D