PDA

View Full Version : What is it with the V-sign?

Northerner
26th August 2009, 00:58
Guy's,

Just been perusing through my girls friendster photo's (for the zillionth time) and a lot of times she is displaying the V-sign. And also in many photo's, so are her friends. I have also noticed this in other photograghs of pinays...

:Erm: What does it mean?

And sorry for sounding like a complete newb, which I am:D

LadyJ
26th August 2009, 01:02
DO you mean the hand sign like (two fingers)?:Erm:

Ask the japanese:D

LadyJ
26th August 2009, 01:07
what makes me laugh sometimes, here in UK when you do a V-sign facing back of your palm to someone that means 'get lost or pissed off' but in Phils when you do V-sign either side means nothing...

Northerner
26th August 2009, 01:11
what makes me laugh sometimes, here in UK when you do a V-sign facing back of your palm to someone that means 'get lost or pissed off' but in Phils when you do V-sign either side means nothing...

Yeah,

Here in the UK the back handed V-sign can mean f:censored: off, so it is suprising to see it in so many photograghs:) Although, obviously I know it has nowhere near the same meaning over there. But it does draw my eyes:rolleyes:

Arthur Little
26th August 2009, 01:13
Guy's,

Just been perusing through my girls friendster photo's (for the zillionth time) and a lot of times she is displaying the V-sign. And also in many photo's, so are her friends. I have also noticed this in other photograghs of pinays...

Well, HERE in the UK ... as you'll already be aware ... it USUALLY implies :UpYurs: ...!

... but, as to its meaning in the Pinas ... well ... ??

... unless it's 'V' for Victory ... or, perhaps simply: "thumbs up" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Northerner
26th August 2009, 01:19
... but, as to its meaning in the Pinas ... well ... ??

... unless it's 'V' for Victory ... or, perhaps simply: "thumbs up" :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I guess it might mean nothing! But it is common in so many pictures I see. In fact I have a few friends on friendster and they all display it in their pictures - or their friends do:Erm: I think it is the "peace" sign gone lazy:rolleyes:

LadyJ
26th August 2009, 01:23
Yes V sign means peace... a lot of japanese are doing the same.

Northerner
26th August 2009, 01:25
Yes V sign means peace... a lot of japanese are doing the same.

And Thai:Erm:

Gosh, I know I'm bored when I'm making astute cultural observations from photograghs:D:D:D

Ji&Ma
26th August 2009, 01:30
Not so long ago similar thread appeared in here, bit of searching and voila - it is in here:

What Are These Asian Gestures? (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=16937&highlight=gesture)

It should mean "peace"...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

sunshine
26th August 2009, 01:37
And Thai:Erm:

Gosh, I know I'm bored when I'm making astute cultural observations from photograghs:D:D:D

Yes "v" sign as you call it =means "peace" sign to us pinays:D or I think to most asians:Rasp: is it very common when taking photos for fun, especially in friendster:BouncyHappy:

Northerner
26th August 2009, 01:45
Not so long ago similar thread appeared in here, bit of searching and voila - it is in here:

What Are These Asian Gestures? (http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=16937&highlight=gesture)

It should mean "peace"...:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:D:xxgrinning--00xx3: My limited search got me nowhere... But I get it now!

jencha8569
26th August 2009, 05:31
means peace. i myself always have theV sign on my pics, my husband also asked about it coz everytime there is picture taking we always do the V sign.:D

bornatbirth
26th August 2009, 08:11

:Erm: maybe shes trying to tell you something :icon_lol:

it just means peace or V for victory,they need to do something with there hands when they're not texting? :D

yam
26th August 2009, 08:46
Korean people usually do that ''V-sign'' which means peace:) Many filipinos were influenced by them and nowadays, many of them are coming here to study and improve their English.

JimOttley
26th August 2009, 12:32
Swing a camera towards a filipino and up come the fingers swing away and down they go again :) it's impossible to get a natual picture these days.

It is always meant nicely but it's funny when they get it the wrong way round as they just don't understand that it has a different meaning in some parts of the west.

It means 'peace' to filipno's.

I love this photo, really funny for me :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/49/141268104_fc115e89d8.jpg

Lovely kids these, they were playing around the basketball court and kept pestering me to take their picture :)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/56/141268103_966b1bfad1.jpg

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 12:38
Great Pics Jim,the innocence of kids :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
26th August 2009, 12:58
Great Pics Jim,the innocence of kids :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Tawi :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeah, it's one of the things I really miss about being there, all the smiling happy kids out playing in street.

vbkelly
26th August 2009, 13:52
Guy's,

And sorry for sounding like a complete newb, which I am:D

like this it means nothing to me lol pa cute lang

Ana_may365
26th August 2009, 14:54
V signs means 'pacute',or 'peace'

HKKJAI
8th September 2009, 21:27
means 'peace' every event ive been to the chinese seem to love pulling those fingers up

eljean
9th September 2009, 00:28
V means "peace tayo"not just in the PI it's common thing too(when taking pictures) in some other asian countries.

JimOttley
9th September 2009, 00:34
V means "peace tayo"not just in the PI it's common thing too(when taking pictures) in some other asian countries.

I's everywhere in Asia :icon_lol: it spoils natural photos :D

I try so hard but they always win with the FINGERS arrrrrrrrggghhhhhh :icon_lol:

johncar54
9th September 2009, 07:42
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The V sign is a hand gesture in which the first and second fingers are raised and parted, whilst the remaining fingers are clenched. In the United Kingdom and some other English speaking countries, it is an obscene insulting gesture of defiance when performed with the palm facing inwards. During World War II, Winston Churchill popularised its use as a "Victory" sign (for V as in victory) initially with palm inwards and later in the war palm outwards. In the United States, with the palm outwards, and more recently, occasionally inward as well, it is also used to mean "Peace", a meaning that became popular during the peace movement of the 1960s.

GaryFifer
9th September 2009, 20:54
Dave allen put some interesting points across about this one.:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Whats your opinion on this video?

Dave Allen on the vulgarities of the English language (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IfoUM6a4bA)

Steve.r
15th December 2009, 21:47
The V sign here in the Uk dates back to medievil times when the French were war war mungering lot. During these times we had large armys with many archers. Archers at the time were most feared by the French, I guess the archers were like the 'snipers' of the day. When archers were captured, they would have their 2 V fingers cut off on each hand, so that the archer was no longer able to use the long bow.
In defiance, we the English would taunt the French by giving them the 2 finger guesture letting them know that we would not be beaten.

History lesson over folks :D

Steve

jonathan47
15th December 2009, 22:08
steve are you sure your not really david brent ?

jj

Steve.r
15th December 2009, 22:26

jj

Ha ha, you know Johnathan, if I had a quid for each time I have been called that I would be able to go to Phil for free next time. My students used to call me 'Ricky' and I remember walking into Tesco one day and over heard a couple of people saying 'look, Ricky gervais shops in tesco' :doh :D
I used to have a goatie too, which made me look similar, but I dont see it myself :) lol

Sim11UK
15th December 2009, 22:51

jj

:icon_lol: I thought that too.....wonder whether he can do the dance? :icon_lol: uhuhuhuhhu :REDancedancer08:

Steve.r
15th December 2009, 23:29
:icon_lol: I thought that too.....wonder whether he can do the dance? :icon_lol: uhuhuhuhhu :REDancedancer08:

Ha ha ha ha ha...............ummmm!! maybe after a few beers :D

Arthur Little
16th December 2009, 00:25
History lesson *over folks :D

Steve

Oh no, *it ain't! :NoNo: ... I've just posted a new :icon_offtopic: thread entitled "Out of the mouths of babes & sucklings" which, in effect, is based on a 9-year-old's interpretation of the Tudor era in English history, in the form of a :joke: told to me by the same kid.

keithAngel
16th December 2009, 07:52
:23_116_6[1]:

,they need to do something with there hands when they're not texting? :d

pacificelectric
16th December 2009, 19:26
The V sign here in the Uk dates back to medievil times when the French were war war mungering lot.

Steve

Hey, we just wanted to kick you back to your island, folks!!!! If we hadn't done it properly today we would drive on the left, drink lukewarm beer and eat fish and chips..... :NoNo:

aromulus
16th December 2009, 19:36
Hey, we just wanted to kick you back to your island, folks!!!! If we hadn't done it properly today we would drive on the left, drink lukewarm beer and eat fish and chips..... :NoNo:

Or you could be all speaking German now.....:omg:

Steve.r
16th December 2009, 19:44
:doh:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

pacificelectric
17th December 2009, 16:41
What would be the worst? Speaking German or seeing Susan Boyle on TV??? :yikes:

aromulus
17th December 2009, 18:19
What would be the worst? Speaking German or seeing Susan Boyle on TV??? :yikes:

Es macht mir nichts aus....:cwm24:

pacificelectric