PDA

View Full Version : English guy wants to work in PH

Timmy
24th August 2009, 21:47
I have been going to the Philippines for a couple of years now to do charity work, and have fallen in love with the place.
How possible is it for someone with an I.T background networking etc to find a job, I have looked on some forums and wondered if I could partner with a Filipino who was looking to start an I.T business, any suggestions.
I know the pay may not be great but then cost of living is not a ridiculous as it is here.

Northerner
24th August 2009, 22:21
I have been going to the Philippines for a couple of years now to do charity work, and have fallen in love with the place.
How possible is it for someone with an I.T background networking etc to find a job, I have looked on some forums and wondered if I could partner with a Filipino who was looking to start an I.T business, any suggestions.
I know the pay may not be great but then cost of living is not a ridiculous as it is here.

I know a girl who is currently working for free, yes free... With the promise of being given an actual paying job as soon as one is available! The economy over there is in tatters like it is over here. Give some serious thought to working over there, wether you can or not.

Do you really want to work for something like 200 pesos a day? Or maybe less??

And why hire a nice little rich kid from the UK when some college graduate from Cebu would work twice as hard and not run home to his parents when things get too tough!

:Erm:

I think someone on here said it best. Earn your money in the west and spend it in the east:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 22:34
I know two UK guys working as bar managers in Angeles,odd sorts to be honest but they enjoy their lives,there are also several guys over there running very lucrative businesses online,mightnt be your cuppa tea however you having worked for a charity etc in the past :omg: I also know a bar/taxi owner who doesnt do so bad.

triple5
24th August 2009, 23:40
Depending on what your IT background is couldn't you work freelance from a laptop. Always plenty of work on getafreelancer and such sites.

eagles
25th August 2009, 02:22
TRY THE CALL CENTER JOB IN PHILS... they offer better packages for IT guys

Timmy
25th August 2009, 07:54
Thanks for all your input, I have lived here in the U.K all my life but have always felt uncomfortable here, as long as I could have a half decent living standard not flash not rich but just average joe stuff I would move there now.
I looked on sulit website and think if I can find a Filipino who wants to start an I.T repair company (which I have done for 10 years here) we could make a go of it. Maybe in Makati or similar.
Money isn't everyhting for me if I was in the happier culture of the Philippines where the people are friendlier and more family and friend orientated that would make me happy.
I know we always say the grass is greener but I really want to give this a go.

JimOttley
25th August 2009, 23:51
I looked on sulit website and think if I can find a Filipino who wants to start an I.T repair company (which I have done for 10 years here) we could make a go of it. Maybe in Makati or similar.

There are a million of them already, everywhere, the red tape surrounding businesses in the Phils is huge, the people running these businesses can range from crap at the job to totally awesome but most will generally be pretty good at keeping kit running.

It's risky being a westerner that is associated with a street level business anywhere in Metro Manila, you and any family you acquire over there can become targets.

Outsourcing as in software development and other services used to be a potential growth area but even that is declining these days, local market for software developers is pretty much sown up, bloody well educated developers every bit as good as their much better paid western counterparts working for 30,000 peso a month sometimes less.

Bottom end of an acceptable living income for most westerner's in the Phils would be around 70,000 to 90,000 peso a month, much less than that and it is not much fun.

I know guys (young guys) that are working for reasonable money around 15,000 quid a year for local IT companies but these jobs are bloody hard to get.

I don't want to put you off but be careful to be realistic about it.

Jim

Arthur Little
26th August 2009, 00:47

TRY THE CALL CENTER JOB IN PHILS... they offer better packages for IT guys

:Hellooo: Welcome, Timmy.

I HAD been going to say, "the world's your oyster!" ... with a background in Information Technology. However, you'd need to be extra careful if you hoped to avoid the pitfalls that others here have pointed out. Having said that, the highly commendable charitable work you've done in the Phils during the past 2 years will, no doubt, have given you an invaluable insight into the lifestyle over there.

As my friend 'Eagles' suggests, it would be worth your while considering :rolleyes: some of the the numerous Call Center Jobs increasingly being relocated to the Philippines.

britishdetained
26th August 2009, 07:05
hi Timmy....having business her in the Philippines? Oh well as for our experience, its a big mistake and you must be careful as some people in authority see white guys here as bait for big amount of cash.

As some here advised, you may worked in a call center that may offer you a minimum pay of 60KPH per month and they will sort out you work visa. It is safe that you holds a proper visa than be sorry and be like my husband.:NoNo::bigcry:

You may as well work in some ESL schools here in which they are really hiring foreigners to teach English. But the again, be careful...as most schools are manage by Koreans and they arent good employers:doh:cwm24:

Timmy
26th August 2009, 07:39
That's really good advive guys and I'm glad your all being realistic, I shall update you, but Call Centre seems to be a practical option by what your saying.
If only this were all easy.

JimOttley
26th August 2009, 18:03
hi Timmy....having business her in the Philippines? Oh well as for our experience, its a big mistake and you must be careful as some people in authority see white guys here as bait for big amount of cash.

As some here advised, you may worked in a call center that may offer you a minimum pay of 60KPH per month and they will sort out you work visa. It is safe that you holds a proper visa than be sorry and be like my husband.:NoNo::bigcry:

You may as well work in some ESL schools here in which they are really hiring foreigners to teach English. But the again, be careful...as most schools are manage by Koreans and they arent good employers:doh:cwm24:

I didn't realise that the Korean ESL's had spread to the Phils as well :) I can second your comment on Korean employers, they are renouned for paying late, not paying, paying much less than your contract states, firing you a month before a bonus is due etc. etc. :)

I'm not speaking from personal experience here but my partner has told me a fair bit about Korea and she lived there for four years.

Jim

Tawi2
26th August 2009, 18:10
Cebu and Davao have lots of korean students Jim,have done for several years,theres also a huge online teaching program,my lola has a hotel which she has turned into a Korean school,live-in students come over for a month or more,they are quite insular however and spend most of their time inside the hotel even though its right on the beach :icon_lol:I think they are a little scared :icon_lol:

britishdetained
26th August 2009, 18:17
I didn't realise that the Korean ESL's had spread to the Phils as well :) I can second your comment on Korean employers, they are renouned for paying late, not paying, paying much less than your contract states, firing you a month before a bonus is due etc. etc. :)

I'm not speaking from personal experience here but my partner has told me a fair bit about Korea and she lived there for four years.

Jim

I agree to all what you said as Kev and I worked too close before with Koreans. Before the consultancy business we built an international school in Baguio. It is as well a homestay center for Koreans and Kevin did a big mistake having one as his business partner. extracted all our investment, hire 30 foreign teachers, took all the students cash deposits then run away leaving us every debts you would imagined!
just sad that our school has to closed down...it was very popular during that time. i think i still have the the website...its taylors homestay baguio

http://www.friendster.com/photos/14045513/0/481646129

RickyR
27th August 2009, 17:04
If you were interested in a change of career, recruitment is an area where you might find employment. I know quite a lot of British run recruitment companies in Makati although i'm unsure what the prerequesite qualifications are.

Timmy
28th August 2009, 16:16
Hmm not out of the question I might take a look a those possibilities, thanks.

bystander09
5th September 2009, 19:07

LETS CALL TIME OUT HERE..... I lived with my family for 13 years in the Philippines... and yes its a wonderful place if you have the income to support yourself and your family, and provide a decent life style with all of the modern conveniences etc etc... :ARsurrender:

You will need to earn about 100,000 pesos per month to live comfortably in Manila. Keep in mind also that the Philippines has many very very well qualified IT people.. Sorry but unless you can bring something truly exceptional to the table... you will not stand a chance of finding employment.
:yikes:
TAKE A DEEP BREATH and get back to reality... the last thing you want is to end up on the distressed Brits list in the PI and be the subject of a whip around at the chamber of commerce meetings for a return air ticket... :bigcry:

bystander

Tawi2
5th September 2009, 21:02
LETS CALL TIME OUT HERE..... I lived with my family for 13 years in the Philippines... and yes its a wonderful place if you have the income to support yourself and your family, and provide a decent life style with all of the modern conveniences etc etc... :ARsurrender:

You will need to earn about 100,000 pesos per month to live comfortably in Manila. Keep in mind also that the Philippines has many very very well qualified IT people.. Sorry but unless you can bring something truly exceptional to the table... you will not stand a chance of finding employment.
TAKE A DEEP BREATH and get back to reality... the last thing you want is to end up on the distressed Brits list in the PI and be the subject of a whip around at the chamber of commerce meetings for a return air ticket... :bigcry:

bystander
Amen :xxgrinning--00xx3:

JimOttley
5th September 2009, 22:34

bystander

You're right, I was in direct competition with Filipino Software Developers whose services were being sold remotely to the UK and they are top class smart people!

However 100,000 a month is probably a bit high he could rent a decent small 1 bed condo for 12,000 a month 1,500 association fees 3,000 a month electric including aircon, 500 a month gas, 1000 a month water, 1000 a month phone/internet, 500 a month cable TV, single guy cooking for himself could get by on 8000 a month food budget that would be bloody good eating to be honest if he were cooking for himself.

But a single guy still reasonably young at 33, I'd give it a go if I had a little capitial to get started, it's tough anywhere in the world and more so in the Phils if you don't know the ropes but it's not impossible, I know guys that have done it and succeeded.

My estimate of 70,000 a month was based on having a very nice time eating out a lot and going places lots :)

Obviously he could be betting with his life from a healthcare viewpoint, that I think is one of the biggest concerns.

You are right though IT is nothing now, it's poorly paid in the Phils and they are good at it, particularly in the highly skilled area's like programming.

Jim

Steve.r
13th September 2009, 19:41
I know quite a lot of British run recruitment companies in Makati .

Ricky, I would also be interested in this, would you please pm me with details.
Thanks

Steve :)

proud2bepinay
14th September 2009, 01:05
I've seen this type of visa being offered for foreigners wanting to live in the Philippines. Hope this helps:
SPECIAL INVESTOR'S RESIDENT VISA (SIRV)

The Special Investor's Resident Visa (SIRV) entitles the holder to reside in the Philippines for an indefinite period as long as the required qualifications and investments are maintained.

Persons Entitled to SIRV

Any alien, except for restricted nationals, at least twenty-one (21) years of age, who meets the qualifications and follows the implementing rules provided for in the issuance of an SIRV. The applicant's spouse and unmarried children under twenty-one (21) years of age may also be issued the same visa.

The applicant must not have been convicted of a crime involving moral turpitude, been afflicted with any loathsome, dangerous or contagious disease; has not been institutionalized for any mental disorder or disability; and is willing and able to invest the amount of at least USD75,000 in the Philippines.

Privileges to SIRV

The holder may reside in the Philippines for as long as his investment subsists
The holder is entitled to import used household goods and personal effects tax and duty-free as an alien coming to settle in the Philippines for the first time.
Allowable Forms of Investment

For purposes of securing an SIRV, only ownership of shares of stocks in the following shall be accepted as eligible forms of investment:

a. In Existing Corporations

Publicly-listed companies
Companies engaged in Investment Priorities Plan (IPP) projects
Companies engaged in the manufacturing and services sectors.
b. In New Corporations

Companies to be engaged in the manufacturing and services sectors
Companies to be engaged in Investment Priorities Plan (IPP) projects
Proof of Investment

a. For Investment in New Corporations

Duplicate copies of Articles of Incorporation and By-laws
Treasurer's Affidavit
Certified True Copy of official receipt issued by the Treasurer-In-Trust
Certified True Copy of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) registration
Certified True Copy of Stock Certificate issued in favor of the applicant
b. For Investment in Existing Corporation Not Publicly Listed

Certified True Copy of business/mayor's permit
Certified True Copies of Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws and SEC Registration
BOI registration, if any
Latest audited financial statement, list of officers and directors
Secretary's certificate
Waiver of Pre-Emptive Rights of Existing Stockholders
Certified True Copy of the resolution from SEC authorizing the issuance of shares from the unsubscribed portion and exempting said shares from registration.
BIR certificate of registration of official receipts
Certified True Copy of stock certificate issued in favor of applicant
Certified True Copy of SEC certificate of change of stockholders
Lease contract or proof of ownership of office or factory/plant sites.
c. Additional Documents for Shares Purchased from Existing Stockholders

Corporate Secretary's Certificate
Certified True Copy of Stock Certificate issued to selling stockholder
Deed of Assignment between buyer and seller of the stock
d. For Investment in Shares in Publicly Listed Corporations

§ Certified True Copy of Stock Certificate to be submitted within 3 months from date of investments
Certified True Copy of official receipts and buy invoice
Sworn certification of stock broker
Where to Apply for SIRV

The Philippine Embassy or Consulate in the applicant's home country or place of residence, or the nearest Philippine Embassy or Consulate to him/her in the absence of the foregoing.
The One-Stop Action Center of the Board of Investments, if the investor is already in the Philippines.
An application and its attachments filed with the Philippine Embassy/Consulate shall be endorsed by said Embassy/Consulate to the Board of Investments for evaluation. After evaluation, the same shall be re-endorsed to the Philippine Embassy/Consulate concerned through the Department of Foreign Affairs for issuance of a probationary multiple-entry visa.

An application and its attachments filed with the Board of Investments shall be endorsed to the Bureau of Immigration for the grant of a probationary multiple entry visa, provided an actual investment has not yet been made at the time of application. Only upon submission of all required documents to prove actual investments shall the application be endorsed for the issuance of an indefinite multiple entry SIRV.

Documentary Requirements

Duly-accomplished and notarized application form, with recent photographs
Clearance from the National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA), together with either a clearance from the central government agency of the applicant's country or place of residence, competent to give information about any criminal record that the applicant may have, duly authenticated by the Philippine Embassy, or the Interpol Division of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) indicating that the applicant has not been convicted by final judgement of a crime involving moral turpitude.

The NICA shall issue an initial clearance within three (3) working days from receipt of the BOI endorsement, and a more thorough verification to cover the Armed Forces of the Philippines and the Philippine National Police should be made within three(3) months after the grant of the probationary visa. Any derogatory record may be the basis for revocation of the SIRV holder's visa.

The expiration date of said clearances should not be earlier than six (6) months from date of filing of application.
Medical certificate issued by the Department of Health (DOH), any government hospital or health facility, or any licensed and accredited hospital, medical center, or laboratory or the equivalent in the applicant's home country, certifying that the applicant is physically and mentally fit.

The expiration of the certification should not be earlier than six (6) months from date of filing of application.
Certification under oath from the duly-authorized officers of any accredited depository bank in the Philippines as to the amount of foreign exchange inwardly remitted by applicant, and its conversion to pesos through the said bank, in the prescribed form. Should the inward remittance be sent through non-accredited correspondent banks, the total amount of remitted money should be immediately transferred to the accredited banks.

In all cases, inward remittances shall not be made earlier than one (1) year prior to the filing of the application.
Certified true copy of the certificate of peso time deposit with a maturity period of at least thirty (30) days.

The original copy of the certificate of time deposit shall remain with the depository bank for safe-keeping.
Birth certificate/family registry/household registry duly authenticated by the Philippine Consulate/Embassy located in the applicant's home country or the applicant's embassy in the Philippines.
If spouse and dependent children are included in the application, marriage contract duly authenticated by the Philippine Consulate/Embassy located in the applicant's home country or by the applicant's Embassy in the Philippines.
Original passport of the applicant.
Application Fee of at least USD 500 or its equivalent in local currency for principal applicant and each dependent.
For the required application and other documentary forms, please contact the Consular Section of the Philippine Embassy, Stockholm.

For further information, please contact the

One-Stop Action Center
Board of Investments
385 Sen. Gil J. Puyat Avenue
Makati City, Metro Manila
Tel No. +(63)(2) 895-8322, 896-7884, 890-9329
Fax No. +(63)(2) 895-3521

Mrs Daddy
14th September 2009, 05:40
glad to know someone`s wants to work in PI an interesting one:)good like for your future:D

fred
14th September 2009, 10:57
That's really good advive guys and I'm glad your all being realistic, I shall update you, but Call Centre seems to be a practical option by what your saying.
If only this were all easy.

My son worked in a call center here for 6 months as tech support...He was on 15k a month which is about 3 times the average Joe salary here...Might just cover your rent and utility bills..
Ive met a few IT guys here working for UK companies..I suppose they just requested that they do their job from here?? Anyway..Lots more options now the internet is here.
FORGET BUSINESS PARTNERSHIPS of any kind with the locals..They will hang you out to dry once your capital has been spent supporting their family expences..Big no no.:NoNo::NoNo::NoNo:

Regards,

Fred.

GaryFifer
14th September 2009, 11:01
What kind of charity work do you do?

joebloggs
14th September 2009, 18:02
What kind of charity work do you do?

thats one way of working in the phils, working for a british charity over there ,,

i'm counting on the misses working and getting a good wage :rolleyes:, i know i'll be unemployable in the phils :D... :rolleyes:...:Wine::xxparty-smiley-050::66::40__s:

ultro
24th October 2009, 15:53
I'm not sure exactly about your IT background, but at a guess you're not going to find it v easy to get a job here. IT salaries only get high if you're in programming.

If I were you, I'd take a step back & start find out about internet marketing - to be honest it's not super complex & it's a great little business to get involved in. If you've got a strong tech background you can pick it up pretty quickly.

This gives you a lot of options. Here is a couple:

1. You can work online for people in the UK/US/etc - the rates would come in at about 400/500 dollars per month, which is just about enough to survive, if you are very careful.
2. You can find people to work for you & then find work for them in the US/UK - this gets to be better value & you should be able to actually start having a good life off this.

nparvus1202
6th November 2009, 17:42
You need visa or permit to work or set up a business in PH. I think the best you can do is try to look around makati and Vira mall in San Juan. Study how the IT business there works. Be friends with them and get more info. Don't be partnered with unknown in the business. Once you learn more you can set up your own or partner with established one. Buy shares.