PDA

View Full Version : Work & Study Programs in the UK--legal or not?

srvfan
23rd August 2009, 10:01
I went to a Migration Expo where many companies are offering Work & Study Programs in the UK, Canada, and Australia. In the case of UK, I would be given a work placement which is part of the course I'm going to take (culinary arts). According to the UKBA, students can work with a minimum of 20 hours a week, but I can work full time on vacations. So far, the colleges that I have verified to be legitimate (from the UKBA site) are Majestic College (which is a Nursing College) and Thames International.

But my problem is, an attorney friend advised me that working while studying abroad may be illegal. Even if working+studying may be legal for Britain, it may be illegal for POEA because students are not sending remittances in the homeland while rendering work in a foreign country. Can anybody verify this? Thanks!

Tawi2
23rd August 2009, 10:18
Students can work a "Minimum" of 20 hours a week :Erm:Really :Erm: I thought it was a maximum of 20 hours a week :Erm:My brother in law brought some of his nieces over under the guise of studying and I am sure they were told a maximum of 20 hours :Erm:

trader dave
23rd August 2009, 10:27
i thought it was illegal to work whilst you was here on a student visa ???/ or visiting visa

just a guess

IainBusby
23rd August 2009, 10:35
As far as I know students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours a week.

gracia143
23rd August 2009, 10:43
Yes it is right, a person who is here on student visa is allowed to work 20hrs maximum and some courses will even require a 1year placement period where students have to work full time in the couse of 1 year. I know it by heart because most of my Filipino friends studying in London are now doing their placement.

darren-b
23rd August 2009, 10:45
From http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyingintheuk/adult-students/conditions-of-your-visa-in-uk/working/

You can work part-time during term time, as long as it is no more than 20 hours a week, and full-time during vacations.

You can work on a work placement that forms an assessed part of your course as long is it is no more than 50% of the total length of the course in the United Kingdom.

Tawi2
23rd August 2009, 10:45
Better just add as a get-out clause no one condones bringing nieces over under the auspices of studying just so they can work here :xxgrinning--00xx3:.In answer to your query SRV its maximum,not minimum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
23rd August 2009, 14:53
Better just add as a get-out clause no one condones bringing nieces over under the auspices of studying just so they can work here :xxgrinning--00xx3:.In answer to your query SRV its maximum,not minimum :xxgrinning--00xx3:

the only thing is Tawi2, if they work more than 20hrs a week or don't attend classes, they could well be banned from coming to the uk again for a very long time :doh

singkit
23rd August 2009, 15:00
You will be able to work:
-part-time work during term-time which is no more than 20 hours a week; and
-full-time work during vacations. By the way Tawi2, your avatar is very eye- catching:icon_lol:

rainmaker
23rd August 2009, 18:08
as stated by many, its legal to study n work in the UK. however, students are not permitted to work full tym, that is more than 20 hours during school terms. but student can do full tym work during off school terms. There is a severe penalty if the immigration finds out that you are working full tym during school terms, usually deportation.a friend of mine got deported.

trader dave
23rd August 2009, 18:31
dont you need an national insurance number to work? even part time :Erm:

how do you get that if you are only a student not a resident:Erm:

Tawi2
23rd August 2009, 19:11
Eye catching avatar Singkit:Erm:I better change it :Erm:

srvfan
24th August 2009, 11:40
Sorry, "minimum" is a typo. Yes it's a maximum of 20 hours a week, and if I understood correctly, you can do 20+ hours full time work a week during vacations.

Anyway, my job right now is different from what I want to take. I am working with printers but I want to become a chef. So I thought the opportunity is enticing. God-willing, I wish to be trained in the kitchens of Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White, or (snicker) Gordon Ramsay. Maybe not, but despite the stereotype of British food, fine dining in London is the most renowned in the planet, along with Paris and New York (actually Paris is number one).

My concern though is do I have to report to POEA if I were on a student visa even if I were a working student?

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 12:32
Heston Blumenthal :cwm24: His resto was closed down for a period of time after over 100 diners caught food poisoning :icon_lol: Gordon F***ing Ramsay :cwm24::NoNo: Be afraid,be very f***ing afraid :icon_lol:

trader dave
24th August 2009, 12:44
Heston Blumenthal :cwm24: His resto was closed down for a period of time after over 100 diners caught food poisoning :icon_lol: Gordon F***ing Ramsay :cwm24::NoNo: Be afraid,be very f***ing afraid :icon_lol:

did i not see ramsey is bust closing his restaurents???:Erm:

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 12:54
He sold his porsche didnt he?:Erm: Things are going down the pan for him resto wise(ever since the rumours of a pinoy printer working as a sushi chef in one of his kitchens:Erm:),he is better off concentrating on his TV career,he is certainly entertaining,he seems more down to earth than Marco with his japanese "Oddjob" manservant Mr Ishii :icon_lol:

srvfan
24th August 2009, 13:25
Actually I love baking and Italian food.

Tawi2
24th August 2009, 13:27
Actually I love baking and Italian food.

Are there any good italian restos in Pinas :Erm:(and I dont mean pizza hut either)

rainmaker
24th August 2009, 21:47
Sorry, "minimum" is a typo. Yes it's a maximum of 20 hours a week, and if I understood correctly, you can do 20+ hours full time work a week during vacations.

Anyway, my job right now is different from what I want to take. I am working with printers but I want to become a chef. So I thought the opportunity is enticing. God-willing, I wish to be trained in the kitchens of Heston Blumenthal, Marco Pierre White, or (snicker) Gordon Ramsay. Maybe not, but despite the stereotype of British food, fine dining in London is the most renowned in the planet, along with Paris and New York (actually Paris is number one).

My concern though is do I have to report to POEA if I were on a student visa even if I were a working student?

Nope! you need not go to POEA coz u r on a student visa. my sis in law just arrived here in UK last week on a student visa. She didn't went POEA.

srvfan
25th August 2009, 06:45
Go to Bellini's, located near Marikina Shoe Expo at Cubao, Quezon City.

Another good resto is Amici, which has branches in Tomas Morato and Megamall.

The upper end Italian restos are Cibo and Itallianis.

What we rarely have are French Restaurants.