PDA

View Full Version : annulment in tacloban

tuft249
19th August 2009, 09:40
does anyone know of a good lawyer in tac .heide also has a child with her fathers name is it going to be a very long &expensive process to maybe get fiance visa.read on here some annulments in 6months then read others 18 months down the line &still nothing .any advice would be great

IainBusby
19th August 2009, 09:58
Just be very careful when choosing a lawyer, make sure that regardless of which lawyer she eventually chooses, she gets an absolute fixed price with an agreed payment schedule for each completed stage of the process, with as much of the fee as possible held back and paid on completion only. If at all possible, try to get the agreement in writing as well.

It is also advisable to ensure that the lawyer doesn't know that a foriegner is involved or is paying the bill as this can make a big difference to the price and can lead to delaying tactics at various stages in the expectation that a bungs might be paid to move things along.

Iain

tuft249
20th August 2009, 11:55
thanks lain hope we can find someone her dream to come to uk will have to come true hopefully.

Arthur Little
20th August 2009, 12:16
does anyone know of a good lawyer in tac .heide also has a child with her fathers name is it going to be a very long &expensive process to maybe get fiance visa.read on here some annulments in 6months then read others 18 months down the line &still nothing .any advice would be great

Just be very careful when choosing a lawyer, make sure that regardless of which lawyer she eventually chooses, she gets an absolute fixed price with an agreed payment schedule for each completed stage of the process, with as much of the fee as possible held back and paid on completion only. If at all possible, try to get the agreement in writing as well.

It is also advisable to ensure that the lawyer doesn't know that a foriegner is involved or is paying the bill as this can make a big difference to the price and can lead to delaying tactics at various stages in the expectation that a bungs might be paid to move things along.

Iain

thanks lain hope we can find someone her dream to come to uk will have to come true hopefully.

:Hellooo: Welcome to the forum ... and good, sound advice from Iain, as always.

IainBusby
20th August 2009, 12:31

You should tell Heide, as I had to tell my (now) wife when we went through a similar legal process, that she will have to learn be very assertive and demanding when dealing with her attorney, especially if he is a man. Filipina's don't generally like to be confrontational and it seems that when they are dealing with a man (Filipino) and especially men with a bit of authority, like attorneys, they are even less likely to be confrontational.

As I said in my earlier post, she should find one who will agree to an absolute fixed price with an agreed (preferably in writing) schedule of payments. Then if the attorney tries to ask for extra payments for say, additional court hearings, (for which her attendance will not be required) or any other fees that slipped his mind, or for any work that has not been agreed or carried out, then she must be prepared to argue about it.

Filipino lawyers are not all sharks, but from my experience and from what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, IMHO, good honest ones are as hard to find as the proverbial rocking horse sh*t

Iain.

scottishbride
20th August 2009, 13:46
You should tell Heide, as I had to tell my (now) wife when we went through a similar legal process, that she will have to learn be very assertive and demanding when dealing with her attorney, especially if he is a man. Filipina's don't generally like to be confrontational and it seems that when they are dealing with a man (Filipino) and especially men with a bit of authority, like attorneys, they are even less likely to be confrontational.

As I said in my earlier post, she should find one who will agree to an absolute fixed price with an agreed (preferably in writing) schedule of payments. Then if the attorney tries to ask for extra payments for say, additional court hearings, (for which her attendance will not be required) or any other fees that slipped his mind, or for any work that has not been agreed or carried out, then she must be prepared to argue about it.

Filipino lawyers are not all sharks, but from my experience and from what I have read on this forum and elsewhere, IMHO, good honest ones are as hard to find as the proverbial rocking horse sh*t

Iain.

You are right the good and honest one are hard to find. I have a friend who almost give up her annulment because her lawyer is like a meter in the taxi! Everytime she ask and follow up something she needs to pay even the phone calls!! :NoNo:

tuft249
20th August 2009, 14:30
thanks everyone .lain heide has no problem being assertive with anyone should have started this along time ago really but main concern for heide was for daughter kyla to be in school from abuyog to live with her in tacloban .

Arthur Little
20th August 2009, 17:23
Everytime she ask and follow up something she needs to pay even the phone calls!! :NoNo:

Even the 'xerox' copies too, I shouldn't wonder!! :doh

IainBusby
20th August 2009, 17:32
Even the 'xerox' copies too, I shouldn't wonder!! :doh

Having dealt with one particularly slippery attorney over there, that really wouldn't surprise me at all.