PDA

View Full Version : St. Mark's Hospital

abbypiglet
17th August 2009, 15:49
Hi. Newbie here. I just want to ask if anyone here got to UK through St. Mark's Hospital direct hiring program? I filled up an application a few months ago for a United Kingdom Assessment and they e-mailed me today saying I was selected for their direct hire program. They only require me to attend their 2-day seminar for a P3000 fee and have a medical exam and that's it. They have an office in Makati where the seminar will be held. I just want to know if this is legit or not so I wouldn't waste money and time on this. Any guidelines I should consider? They say they're not a recruitment agency but a direct hiring company for St. Mark's. I checked out St. Mark's Hospital website and they don't have any info about this. I'd appreciate the replies very much. Thanks a bunch.

KeithD
17th August 2009, 15:53
Contact the hospital. A lot of these things are scams.....you pay....and a week later they tell you that your not selected.

We stopped taking Filipina nurses over a year ago.

aromulus
17th August 2009, 16:31
It sounds like an elaborate scam to me.
:omg:

It is a scam.........:doh

:Brick:

Ji&Ma
17th August 2009, 16:34
:iagree: Dom, I guess this is a double post from Abby - and that in the other one more forumers said it could be a SCAM....

britishdetained
17th August 2009, 16:36
that is a scam...direct hiring is not allowed in the philippines. besides Filipino nurses going to UK must have NVQ's and adoptation first before you will be hired. Remember DIRECT HIRE is not allowed in the Philippines, be sure that you get a proper work visa and if they say you are hired you cannot get a work visa without NVQ and adoptation. So be careful as that maybe a scam.

you may also call the british embassy to verify the job offer as they always have the listing of companies seeking employees in the Philippines

trader dave
17th August 2009, 16:36
:yikes::Erm: sounds very dodgy to me

IainBusby
17th August 2009, 20:01
The only organisation that I know of that does direct hiring for nurses from the Philippines is the NHS (The UK National Health Service). They go to the Philippines where they advertise for nurses and then they invite their preferred candidates to come for an interview and assessment. At this point in time they are not hiring en masse, they are only hiring highly experienced nurses with particular kinds of experience which is in short supply in the UK

If the NHS decide to employ you, there will be no payments and the NHS will sort out the working visa for you and as far as I know, all other expenses incurred with regard to you taking up employment in the UK.

This is obviously a scam which will cost you P3,000 for nothing if you go for it and they will probably come up with additional demand for payments to complete the process.

Iain.

Sim11UK
17th August 2009, 20:29
It certainly sounds like a scam....No reputable employer, would ask you for up front fees, whatever job you were applying for.

My brother works for the NHS & went to Manila, to interview Filipino nurses, to work in the UK, but this was a good 12 years ago.

Sadly, they aren't employing any new ones at present....Sorry!

aromulus
17th August 2009, 21:11
:iagree: Dom, I guess this is a double post from Abby - and that in the other one more forumers said it could be a SCAM....

When I answered this, it was a different thread.:NoNo:

Admin must have merged them.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

abbypiglet
18th August 2009, 03:12
Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I appreciate it a lot. Hope I can find a way to get there to UK and work soon. Thanks a lot. Take care you all.

pennybarry
19th August 2009, 17:59
Thank you so much everyone for the replies. I appreciate it a lot. Hope I can find a way to get there to UK and work soon. Thanks a lot. Take care you all.

Try to visit UK Nursing council website and you'll learn everything you need to come over here and work as nurse. But at the moment, UK prefers nurses from EU. :doh

Others applied as student visa and work here as carer and same time studying. That cost a fortune.:NoNo:

aromulus
20th August 2009, 16:20
But at the moment, UK prefers nurses from EU. :doh

Strange that I haven't encountered any european nurses outside of their own countries....:Erm:

IainBusby
20th August 2009, 17:36
Strange that I haven't encountered any european nurses outside of their own countries....:Erm:

I believe that the powers that be at the NHS would much rather employ Filipino nurses, but of course, the government knows best. It really bugs me that most of the other countries in the EU pay scant regard to the Brussels gravy train brigade, their ideas or their policies. The only country that seem to implement every line is the UK and I'm sure the rest of them are laughing at us. If this was about British jobs for British workers then I might go along with that; but British jobs for EU workers....... naaaaaaagh.

Tawi2
20th August 2009, 17:50
There was actually some form of passing out ceremony the other day in Manila with 8000 fresh nursing graduates,I said several years ago there was going to be a pinoy over-supply,everyone you speak to over there has a family member training to be a nurse,and I mean everyone :NoNo: As soon as people started getting nursing placements in UK a few years back loads of them jumped on the train,I would hate to see the state of pinas in 10-15 years time as its currently got a huge number of unemployed graduates and the vast majority are desperate to get out and escape the grinding poverty.

IainBusby
20th August 2009, 18:56
There was actually some form of passing out ceremony the other day in Manila with 8000 fresh nursing graduates,I said several years ago there was going to be a pinoy over-supply,everyone you speak to over there has a family member training to be a nurse,and I mean everyone :NoNo: As soon as people started getting nursing placements in UK a few years back loads of them jumped on the train,I would hate to see the state of pinas in 10-15 years time as its currently got a huge number of unemployed graduates and the vast majority are desperate to get out and escape the grinding poverty.

Same goes for caregivers, there are just so many hoping to come to the west after their training and the only chance they've got as far as the UK is concerned is if, at a huge expense, they manage to get a student visa.

Tawi2
20th August 2009, 19:00
"Gloria" was giving free training for caregivers or subsidised training I cant remember which,but I know several women who completed the course last year,they were all supposed to be applying to Canada but still arent there yet,they were all praises for "Gloria" for her free training blindly oblivious to the fact that "Gloria" just wants more "Heros" to work abroad so more remittances flow back to pinas to keep it afloat :icon_lol: I remember when pinoys airport departure tax was double westerners departure tax because she knew how much pinoys desired to work abroad,shameful the way she exploited them.

misscaye
25th August 2009, 02:34
Hi. good day to everyone. i'm caye and i'm new here. I came across this site when i google st. Mark's hospital. Actually, i've read one post here and felt relieved though not completely knowing that there is someone here who happens to be in the same situation as mine. I have also received an email about direct employment to UK for St. Mark's Hospital. I just want to ask for your help so as for me to decide what step to make because they want me to reach a decision and pay P3000 before August 28 or else the slot is forfeited. Help! thanks.

aromulus
25th August 2009, 07:37
Hi. good day to everyone. i'm caye and i'm new here. I came across this site when i google st. Mark's hospital. Actually, i've read one post here and felt relieved though not completely knowing that there is someone here who happens to be in the same situation as mine. I have also received an email about direct employment to UK for St. Mark's Hospital. I just want to ask for your help so as for me to decide what step to make because they want me to reach a decision and pay P3000 before August 28 or else the slot is forfeited. Help! thanks.

I would take the offer with a large pinch of salt......:NoNo:

It will be definitively a scam of some sort.:omg:

Immigration to the UK for nurses is totally stopped. The only people allowed to work in the UK from outside the EU will have to be highly skilled in their professions, and selection will be on a point system.

So you will be wasting your money, as after a few weeks or months of paying the 3k PHP to the agency you will be told by them that probably the quota is filled for this year, and will need to pay more to be kept on the books for next year....:doh

So don't bother trying, waste of money alround.

Tawi2
25th August 2009, 14:47
Pinch of salt :Erm: Block of salt for me,or a pillar the size of Lots wife :xxgrinning--00xx3:If I send out lets say 1000 of these job offers and ask everyone to pay me 100,000 pesos securement fee for the position maybe I will get a small % of gullible/desperate people who will send me the cash,but if I send out those job offers asking for the tiny sum of 3000 pesos I am much more likely to get a large number of those 1000 who will say "Its only 3000 pesos,not such a gamble,I will give him the cash" :xxgrinning--00xx3: Irs a 100 and 10 % scam :rolleyes:

dondi
6th September 2009, 21:36
I'm almost tempted to suggest that you report this agency to the authorities and have them checked since you know where their office is.. but after some thought, it might just be a waste of time.

Perhaps you can contact a TV network, newspaper or any person doing investigative work and volunteer yourself to become a 'mole'. This way, you gain the attention of the media, other prospective victims, or if lucky the authorities and expose such scams.

Then you can say to yourself you've made a small contirbution to 'make this world a better place'.. ala MJ :-)

South-east boy
10th November 2009, 17:33
It's a shame as St.Marks could seriously do with some decent and more caring nurses. My mum was there for about 5 weeks in July and August & while the nurses in the ward on one floor were nice, the nurses in the ward where she was for most of the time were not nice at all. They were mostly ignored when they buzzed for needing help with something, were not talked to in a nice manner- in fact they were spoken to like a badly beahved child! One fellow patient had buzzed 3 times, was crying in pain and was still ignored so my mum buzzed for her as well. My mum needs to go back there for a further op in a month or two and is praying that she doesn't have to go to the same ward again. I know it isn't an easy job being a nurse and they have long shifts, but I don't think it's on to take it out on patients who aren't well. The nurses in the local hospital where my mum went first were lovely, so why can't they have been in that ward in St.marks?