PDA

View Full Version : I was embarrased!

pennybarry
15th August 2009, 10:31
I bought 2 mobiles online on same day but different time.
After first order approved, I got call from our landline and he said he's from Barclays and there was suspicious buying in my account. I told him I bought something but he's asking some of my personal details and I refused.

The next day, I got only one 3G delivered and went to M&S to buy something. The cashier said my card is unable to access and locked.
Luckily I was with hubby and he pays but we both felt embarrassed especially me:Brick::Brick::Brick:

I am thinking not to use card in Pinas and will just withdraw cash as I don't want to happen it again. :angry:

kimmi
15th August 2009, 10:47
hi Ate Pen,

sorry to hear about what happened.. when I had my holiday in Pinas last March, Ive also had a problem with my Lloyds TSb debit card..Before I leave here, Hubby make sure with Lloyds that my card will be ok in the Philippines and they keep on saying yes of course..

But when I tried it in one of the machines there, it says Unauthorized Transactions it is really embarrassing when u have to fall in the line and then when it is ur turn u cant get anything..

To make the story short, my hubby called Lloyds, and advised me to ring them back and give them some of the infos they need for them to make sure that I am the real one, they are just being careful with some fraudsters luckily my calls were charge to them..

pennybarry
15th August 2009, 10:54
hi Ate Pen,

sorry to hear about what happened.. when I had my holiday in Pinas last March, Ive also had a problem with my Lloyds TSb debit card..Before I leave here, Hubby make sure with Lloyds that my card will be ok in the Philippines and they keep on saying yes of course..

But when I tried it in one of the machines there, it says Unauthorized Transactions it is really embarrassing when u have to fall in the line and then when it is ur turn u cant get anything..

To make the story short, my hubby called Lloyds, and advised me to ring them back and give them some of the infos they need for them to make sure that I am the real one, they are just being careful with some fraudsters luckily my calls were charge to them..

Thanks Kimmi. I called the bank and that was exactly what they said. For security reasons:D but they didn't tell me that they will block it:bigcry: I don't give my personal details when they rang me because I'm scared and it was my first time to have problem like this.

kimmi
15th August 2009, 11:07
Sad to say but you have to ring them again Ate Penny and confirm with them your identities dont be scared they are just doing their job to avoid frausters and identity theft..

Hope you sorted it out as sooon as possible..:D

Tiggers0608
15th August 2009, 11:08
Sorry to hear about that 'Tol, yep your right ......... imagine if u use that in the phils and that happen while your buying an item .... you know naman some pinays they will say something bad or accussing agad even if they didnt know whats going on.

maybe its better to just use money but becareful of carrying them anywhere in the phils :NoNo:

enjoy your holiday and have fun :xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
15th August 2009, 11:20
I bought 2 mobiles online on same day but different time.
After first order approved, I got call from our landline and he said he's from Barclays and there was suspicious buying in my account. I told him I bought something but he's asking some of my personal details and I refused.

The next day, I got only one 3G delivered and went to M&S to buy something. The cashier said my card is unable to access and locked.
Luckily I was with hubby and he pays but we both felt embarrassed especially me:Brick::Brick::Brick:

I am thinking not to use card in Pinas and will just withdraw cash as I don't want to happen it again. :angry:

you should have told the guy you don't want to give personal details as you dont know where he is calling from,, so you will phone Barclays customer service, and explained to them, and they would have stopped or lifted any block off your card, refusing to answer the guy meant he had no choice but to block it. i'm not saying you should answer him, but you should have called customer service afterwards, and also tell them b4 you go to the phils, so they will not block it then, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

asl have a extra card with you, and even better cash is still king !

pennybarry
15th August 2009, 11:28
Sad to say but you have to ring them again Ate Penny and confirm with them your identities dont be scared they are just doing their job to avoid frausters and identity theft..

Hope you sorted it out as sooon as possible..:D

I rang them yesterday and seems I can't still use it. I tried to donate but the graph didn't change.:D I will just withdraw by monday as I can't able to go to town at the moment.

Sorry to hear about that 'Tol, yep your right ......... imagine if u use that in the phils and that happen while your buying an item .... you know naman some pinays they will say something bad or accussing agad even if they didnt know whats going on.

maybe its better to just use money but becareful of carrying them anywhere in the phils :NoNo:

enjoy your holiday and have fun :xxgrinning--00xx3:

You're right!!! In Pinas they will fast accuse you haha no funds in her card!!!! ehehehhe

you should have told the guy you don't want to give personal details as you dont know where he is calling from,, so you will phone Barclays customer service, and explained to them, and they would have stopped or lifted any block off your card, refusing to answer the guy meant he had no choice but to block it. i'm not saying you should answer him, but you should have called customer service afterwards, and also tell them b4 you go to the phils, so they will not block it then, :xxgrinning--00xx3:

asl have a extra card with you, and even better cash is still king !

Thanks Joe!:xxgrinning--00xx3:
When I refused to give my details, he said call our office. But he didn't mention that he will block my card.

KeithD
15th August 2009, 11:33
I get plenty of them as I buy from every weird place on the planet so always get flagged by the banks.

After a call, you just phone them straight back and verify it. However, even if they unblock that transaction it is usually too late.

bornatbirth
15th August 2009, 13:24
when i booked a flight online my card was blocked,i got a phone from my credit card company asking me if i was using it.

its good that they check but i had to rebook it,next time you should ask who they are im sure they will help out!

trader dave
15th August 2009, 13:49
there seems to be a lot of blocking at the moment i had one of mine blocked on phils good job i took some cash and back up cards because i would have looked a right knob:Erm: going to get married and suddenly NO MONEY i transfered money to mrs t any way :icon_lol:

when i got home i went to the bank :furious3::furious3::Brick: i nearly had to cancel my fecking wedding because of you w*nkers :icon_lol::icon_lol::doh

they said you should have informed us you was going there its unusual activity :Erm::Erm::Erm: :doh so i go out there twice a year and you have never blocked it before :furious3::doh:NoNo:

then another bank or cc company dont want to be informed:angry:

jencha8569
15th August 2009, 14:04
We had the same problem back in June with my hubby was here in phils, after getting money 2nd time thru cash machine it cannot be processed then i received a text from his mum saying the bank texted her they need to talk to my husband. When i got home i told him what had happened, he was angry coz before coming here he spoke with the bank that he will be here for a holiday which they said its ok to use his card. They never text nor call my husband to explain why they stop the card might be thinking it will cost them if they do. But thankfully after my mother in law's constant text to the bank they called my husband then asked for infos to be sure it wasnt a frauder or something. :doh After no problems at all but the damage has been done:NoNo:

pennybarry
15th August 2009, 16:09
when i booked a flight online my card was blocked,i got a phone from my credit card company asking me if i was using it.

its good that they check but i had to rebook it,next time you should ask who they are im sure they will help out!

How can I be sure that the one calling is a genuine staff from the bank? Too hard to trust people over the phone.

there seems to be a lot of blocking at the moment i had one of mine blocked on phils good job i took some cash and back up cards because i would have looked a right knob:Erm: going to get married and suddenly NO MONEY i transfered money to mrs t any way :icon_lol:

when i got home i went to the bank :furious3::furious3::Brick: i nearly had to cancel my fecking wedding because of you w*nkers :icon_lol::icon_lol::doh

they said you should have informed us you was going there its unusual activity :Erm::Erm::Erm: :doh so i go out there twice a year and you have never blocked it before :furious3::doh:NoNo:

then another bank or cc company dont want to be informed:angry:

I have already informed them I'm going home but still better to bring cash than card :bigcry:

We had the same problem back in June with my hubby was here in phils, after getting money 2nd time thru cash machine it cannot be processed then i received a text from his mum saying the bank texted her they need to talk to my husband. When i got home i told him what had happened, he was angry coz before coming here he spoke with the bank that he will be here for a holiday which they said its ok to use his card. They never text nor call my husband to explain why they stop the card might be thinking it will cost them if they do. But thankfully after my mother in law's constant text to the bank they called my husband then asked for infos to be sure it wasnt a frauder or something. :doh After no problems at all but the damage has been done:NoNo:

It's nice they are very strict protecting their clients but it cause embarrassment on my part.:cwm24:

KeithD
15th August 2009, 16:31
You should always contact the bank if you will be using your card abroad. I've been informing them for about 2 years now, and it prevents looking stupid....as I can do that very well myself :)

jonnijon
16th August 2009, 09:14
Told my bank I was going to Phills,Ive been going for five years now and they said thats ok,we dont need that info anymore.
Guess what!When I got there my card was stopped twice,then have to phone them at my expence to get my money.As you can imagine I gave them some abuse,and they could not care a less.Not mush fun after a 20 min drive into town to get to the ATM.
And oh yes there was no cell phone signal.:furious3::furious3::furious3:

KeithD
16th August 2009, 09:56
....and if someone in the Phil had stolen your card and spent all the money on it you'd be asking the bank why they didn't stop it! :doh

Ayjay
18th September 2009, 10:20
hi Ate Pen,

My wife and I have had trouble with NATWEST debit cards and ATM's in the Phils. One of the problems is that MAESTRO is an unregognised brand in the Phils..

We have never had a problem with a HSBC VISA debit card..

AJ

kimmi
18th September 2009, 10:26
My wife and I have had trouble with NATWEST debit cards and ATM's in the Phils. One of the problems is that MAESTRO is an unregognised brand in the Phils..

We have never had a problem with a HSBC VISA debit card..

AJ

u can use ur NATWEST card in BPI Banks, because they do accept MAESTRO..my sister is also using NATWEST debit card and it seems okey up to now..

MarBell379
19th September 2009, 09:35
I have this problem regularly.
Lloyds will only put a 1 month 'allowed in Philippines' notice on their system and mastercard appear notto be able to do even this!
To be fair Ive struggled to find places where credit cards are accepted in Philippines anyway, apart from in major cities its a lot easier to use cash.
NB - If your card is refused at a cashpoint its best to call straight away rather than try different cashpoints. I guess trying to withdraw 10000 pesos at 6 different cashpoints within 20 minutes is probably going to raise suspicions wherever you are!

ukgangster
19th September 2009, 09:51
trouble with NATWEST debit cards and ATM's in the Phils. One of the problems is that MAESTRO is an unregognised brand in the Phils..

During my 3 week stay in Tacloban back in 2004, I used a Natwest Maestro card, and it wouldn't work in any ATM. I remember calling Natwest and they claimed nothing was wrong, card not blocked, etc. Then I tried Metrobank customer services, and guess what, they blamed NatWest.:furious3: So for 3 weeks, I couldn't access £000's in my Natwest account, luckily my credit card saved the day. I remember the Natwest card worked fine in Hong Kong, but as soon as arrived in Philippines it clammed up.

I'm with HSBC now, and I always inform them when I'm flying out to Philippines and Hong Kong, and I have never had a problem (yet).

jaishann
19th September 2009, 10:44
: I don't give my personal details when they rang me because I'm scared and it was my first time to have problem like this.

Good move, I'd do the same because it could be somebody else eh.

RickyR
19th September 2009, 10:46
As has been said before, HSBC Visa Debit cards seem to work absolutely fine once you've called them. Also seem to give the lowest charge and best exchange rate when making withdrawals.
My RBS debit card charges me about 4 quid to withdraw from a foreign ATM, mistake made once and never again!

somebody
19th September 2009, 13:23
u can use ur NATWEST card in BPI Banks, because they do accept MAESTRO..my sister is also using NATWEST debit card and it seems okey up to now..

Same here we use BPI among others and normally no queue compared to others.

I think i recall natwest are moving over customers mastero cardsto Visa cards soon which is good news as it means you get better protection on purchases like you do with cc's if i read it right:Erm: Also should help while in phills:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Penny Barry seen and heard lots of people have the same problem.

Best to have your customer service number of banks and cc companies noted down so if you need to call them for whatever reason you can.

The guy should have just said call our customer services, as 99 percent of people are never going to give out details on phone.